The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #176
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I disagree.

Last year he was beating guys like Jordan Gross off a speed rush.
Is that how he got his 2 sacks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #177
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I disagree.

Last year he was beating guys like Jordan Gross off a speed rush.
That's funny price is knocking Ayers, yet Doom bull rushes if he can't win around the edge..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #178
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,606

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I liked Doom a lot but that tells me Doom doesn't really get sacks on first downs anymore. When we blitz, bring miller, he has more luck getting there which will be true for any player we put on that side now.

What we need though is a special guy who plays all 3 downs and can beat LT 1-1 on any down.
And how much are you willing to give up to get this "special guy"? That special guy is in the HOF or will be soon. Let me know what guy can do that in the draft and will be available at #28. A guy like that would be getting $10+ million a year or goes top 2 in the draft.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #179
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
But whatever, we're getting really far from the original point, which was that rolling with Ayers as the starting RDE is a terrible idea. I'd be stunned if it happened.
There really aren't any upgrades available to us at the moment. Ayers is a solid DE, and as a 16 game starter, based off of what he did in limited time last season, he will probably produce 6-8 sacks. I think the team can get by with that, especially if Wolfe takes the next step and gets over 10 sacks next season (which I honestly expect).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #180
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

JDR just needs to turn the DL loose and nothave them be blocking dummys.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #181
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Is that how he got his 2 sacks?
Yes, one of his sacks came against a speed rush off Jordan Gross.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #182
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
That's funny price is knocking Ayers, yet Doom bull rushes if he can't win around the edge..
Dumervil bull-rushes, rips, spins, clubs, counters, and uses speed around the edge. Not only that, but he can stop the run too. That's what makes him an elite, perennial Pro Bowl DE. Since last year was the only year that you ever saw Dumervil play, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Ayers, much like Alex Okafor, and Datone Jones, are pure bull-rushers, who use an occasional rip-move. None of those guys have the outside speed to beat NFL OT's on a consistent basis.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #183
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Ayers is a solid DE, and as a 16 game starter, based off of what he did in limited time last season, he will probably produce 6-8 sacks.
I'll take you up on that bet.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #184
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
There really aren't any upgrades available to us at the moment. Ayers is a solid DE, and as a 16 game starter, based off of what he did in limited time last season, he will probably produce 6-8 sacks. I think the team can get by with that, especially if Wolfe takes the next step and gets over 10 sacks next season (which I honestly expect).
Ayers has been playing football as a rush DE/OLB for 8 years since he left high school. He has never had more than 4 sacks in a season. Why is year 9 going to be different?
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #185
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Dumervil bull-rushes, rips, spins, clubs, counters, and uses speed around the edge. Not only that, but he can stop the run too. That's what makes him an elite, perennial Pro Bowl DE. Since last year was the only year that you ever saw Dumervil play, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

Ayers, much like Alex Okafor, and Datone Jones, are pure bull-rushers, who use an occasional rip-move. None of those guys have the outside speed to beat NFL OT's on a consistent basis.
Last year was the only year I watched Dumervill? I have watched almost every game since the NFL package came out. When I joined the forum I said that I am a huge fan of the NFL and football in general. While Peyton is my favorite player and I root for his success, that allowed me to appreciate the game more.

You are someone who reads stats and I know for a fact barely watches football outside of Denver and the occasional prime time Sunday/Monday night game. I know just as much about Doom if not more than you, since you named a well balanced move collection that he does not posses nor use. Not sure what you watch..? And he can stop the run? That's a bold statement, while he's not Freeney he surely isn't Abraham balanced, just to use the two veterans who are out there as comparison. I don't trust your instincts, opinions, thoughts. You flip flop and change your mind, and everything you say should be taken with a grain of salt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #186
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Last year was the only year I watched Dumervill? I have watched almost every game since the NFL package came out. When I joined the forum I said that I am a huge fan of the NFL and football in general. While Peyton is my favorite player and I root for his success, that allowed me to appreciate the game more.

You are someone who reads stats and I know for a fact barely watches football outside of Denver and the occasional prime time Sunday/Monday night game. I know just as much about Doom if not more than you, since you named a well balanced move collection that he does not posses nor use. Not sure what you watch..? And he can stop the run? That's a bold statement, while he's not Freeney he surely isn't Abraham balanced, just to use the two veterans who are out there as comparison. I don't trust your instincts, opinions, thoughts. You flip flop and change your mind, and everything you say should be taken with a grain of salt.
Same goes for you.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #187
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,495
Default

The notion Doom is now a good run defender is a joke. He's at best servicable because he is such a good pass rusher. You basically run the dline and front 7 assignments knowing Doom can't hold the edge on his own. Doom not a crappy tackler in the run game but certainly he can blocked rather easily by most NFL olines.

Its only his speed around the edge that is a weapon. In Balt they better not plan on him covering much or playing the run. They will let suggs do that and unleash doom on the qb because that is all he is good at.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #188
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I know just as much about Doom if not more than you, since you named a well balanced move collection that he does not posses nor use..
Here is section of the scouting profile on Elvis Dumervil from nfldraftscout.com:

"Shows an array of pass rush moves (rip, club, swim) to counter when working inside and a nifty spin move that lets him maintain his speed and urgency on the bull rush"


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...torical/409949


The rest of your post is utter garbage and is not worth commenting on further.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #189
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Ayers has been playing football as a rush DE/OLB for 8 years since he left high school. He has never had more than 4 sacks in a season. Why is year 9 going to be different?
Have you actually watched Ayers play the last couple years?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #190
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Same goes for you.
Yeah I have a track record of deleting posts, flip flopping on subjects, and getting owned. Good call, don't you have a garden to worry about, I notice you keep following me John Deere.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #191
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Here is section of the scouting profile on Elvis Dumervil from nfldraftscout.com:

"Shows an array of pass rush moves (rip, club, swim) to counter when working inside and a nifty spin move that lets him maintain his speed and urgency on the bull rush"


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...torical/409949


The rest of your post is utter garbage and is not worth commenting on further.
You sent a link with his draft profile... Are you serious? This is my whole issue with you.. You read stats and opinions, but never actually watch and make your own opinion. You ever noticed that those profiles will have conflicting reports and contradictory statements... You further validate what I already have learned about you on this forum..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #192
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Have you actually watched Ayers play the last couple years?
Yes, I have. I imagine that JDR has also watched him play the last couple years, and that is why he took away his starting position and buried him in the depth chart.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #193
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
...perennial Pro Bowl DE.
Just fyi, he's been a Pro Bowler 3 times, and All-Pro once, in a six year career.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #194
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
...
More garbage. Attempting to have football dialogue with you is pointless and a waste of time and energy.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Just fyi, he's been a Pro Bowler 3 times, and All-Pro once, in a six year career.
3 out of the last 4 years Pro Bowl (the other year he was out due to injury). I never claimed that Dumervil was the best pass-rusher in the NFL. But he is an elite pass-rushing DE.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #195
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
More garbage. Attempting to have football dialogue with you is pointless and a waste of time and energy.





3 out of the last 4 years Pro Bowl (the other year he was out due to injury). I never claimed that Dumervil was the best pass-rusher in the NFL. But he is an elite pass-rushing DE.
That's because when someone tells you your wrong you then get in defense mode. Your the guy who claimed the Earth was flat hundreds of years ago, even though exploration proved the Earth was round.. You stood to your guns "No, No, the Earth is in fact flat" until you actually go on the boat and discover it for yourself. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but the principles hold true in that you are stubborn to what others write and the stats you read until you actually go on the boat (watch and see for yourself) and anyone who told you so along the way is a real dick. I have tried PMing you originally to apologize and offer to help, but you are so stubborn to your ways..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #196
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Yes, I have. I imagine that JDR has also watched him play the last couple years, and that is why he took away his starting position and buried him in the depth chart.
Sure, just like Ayers was then promoted during the season to play more snaps than other DEs outside of Wolfe/Doom.

Just like he was promoted to play multiple positions inside at DT as well especially when we rushed three.

Just like he's (for now) promoted to starting RDE.

It really doesn't matter until we see him play this year and build on the decent body of work he put in as a backup RDE.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #197
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
That's because when someone tells you your wrong you then get in defense mode. Your the guy who claimed the Earth was flat hundreds of years ago, even though exploration proved the Earth was round.. You stood to your guns "No, No, the Earth is in fact flat" until you actually go on the boat and discover it for yourself. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but the principles hold true in that you are stubborn to what others write and the stats you read until you actually go on the boat (watch and see for yourself) and anyone who told you so along the way is a real dick. I have tried PMing you originally to apologize and offer to help, but you are so stubborn to your ways..
^ Not sure what any of this means. Your attempts at character assassination, just because I claimed that Elvis Dumervil is a superior pass-rusher to Bob Ayers is puzzling. Not that I care.

You'll never convince anyone that Dumervil isn't an elite pass-rushing DE.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #198
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,352

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Have you actually watched Ayers play the last couple years?
Have you?
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #199
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

People still crying about Elvis? Lol.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #200
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,352

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Seriously? People still trying to talk up Ayers just to feel good about the Elvis situation? Lol...

Say what you want but we aren't better defensively at RDE (even in the run defense department! Ayers had more missed tackles that Doom in way less snaps). I would even argue that I would take Doom over the 2 defensive players we signed.

We better draft Dooms replacement because he is not on our roster. No matter how positive we want to be about it. The ardent Bronco fan in me and the tinted orange colored glasses want me to say that our DE players will step up and prove us wrong. But I have been burned there before way too many times. Expecting greatness from scrubs with "potential" or unknowns could lead to our demise in the playoffs. Specially if we have to deal with injuries at the position, or worst case... Von.

We have to remember that we got screwed by up tempo offenses on a regular basis the last few years. The NYG have shown that the only way to slow that type of offense is to pressure the hell out of the opposing QB, the same way the stole 2 SB from the Pats.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Denver Broncos