The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #1176
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Just a quick question. Since the north of the wall people burn all the dead, does that mean that the dead turn into zombies and the whitewalkers are really just badass zombies?
Not exactly.

The Wights are the Zombies. The White Walkers are a separate race of intelligent creatures who animate the wights as their army. The white walkers are not zombies - they create them.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #1177
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I had a friend drop by my place the other night and gave me the first season on BluRay. Watched the first two episodes and really wasn't that interested. Kind of seems slow. Hopefully it gets better.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #1178
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I had a friend drop by my place the other night and gave me the first season on BluRay. Watched the first two episodes and really wasn't that interested. Kind of seems slow. Hopefully it gets better.
The first two episodes of virtually any show worth watching is slow because it's establishing a foundation for the story to be told on.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #1179
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Not exactly.

The Wights are the Zombies. The White Walkers are a separate race of intelligent creatures who animate the wights as their army. The white walkers are not zombies - they create them.
What do you think coldhands is?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #1180
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Not exactly.

That's basically how I understand it, too, but it's kind of intentionally mushy.

Here's what I understand:

Roughly 12,000 years ago, an ethnic group of humans (now referred to as "The First Men") invaded Westeros across a land bridge from the east. They found that the land was already occupied by a race of being called the "Children of the Forest." These beings were smaller, less numerous and less technologically advanced than the invading humans, but they had access to "nature magic."

After generations of warfare, the First Men gradually pushed back the Children of the Forest and establish dozens, if not hundreds, of small kingdoms.

About 10,000 years ago, a truce was reached, whereby the Children were given dominion over the major forests, while the Men occupied the open lands. Except for a group who adopted "The Drowned God" (in the Iron Islands), the First Men adopt the worship of the Old Gods of the Forest.

About 8,000 years ago, the "Long Night" descended and presumably lasted for nearly an entire generation. A long and savage winter moved south, and with it came "The Others." The "Others" were able to kill people and then raise them up as undead servants (zombies or "wights.") They were eventually driven back by the First Men, led by a legendary hero called "Azor Ahai."

Subsequently, with the aid of magic, giants, and (possibly) the remaining Children of the Forest, they constructed the great ice wall to keep the "Others" out. The Night Watch was formed to guard it.

At this time, there were still some people living north of the wall (calling themselves "The Free Folk" but known to southerners as the "Wildlings.")

Not long after, one of the Commanders of the Night Watch, supposedly seduced by one of the undead, declared himself the Night King, and used the Watch as his personal army and committed all kinds of atrocities. He was defeated by an alliance between the Starks of Winterfell and Joramun, a Wildling leader, also known as "The King Beyond the Wall." Afterwards, the Night Watch was restored.

Thousands of years go by and all of this falls into myth and legend. Over time, the Wall becomes mostly a barrier to prevent Wildlings from raiding the southern side.

In the legends of southern Westeros, the undead are referred to as "The Others." Close to the Wall and North of the Wall, those same beings are often referred to as "The White Walkers." One gets the idea that the legends don't necessarily distinguish between the intelligent masters (who may or may not be undead spirits) and the more or less mindless wights (who they have apparently raised from the dead to serve as minions.) Likewise, various characters in the book don't necessarily distinguish between them at the outset since they don't really know what they are dealing with.

Additional things that still aren't clear. It's not clear what kind of ritual is needed or what it's range might be in order to raise people as zombies. Or whether it's more or less automatic. (It certainly isn't automatic south of the Wall - at least not at this point.) It's also unclear whether the intelligent "Others" have their own bodies or are somehow possessing the bodies of the living. The whole thing is still uncatalogued (and probably scarier as a result of that).
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1181
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
The first two episodes of virtually any show worth watching is slow because it's establishing a foundation for the story to be told on.
I thought the first fifteen minutes of Season 1 Episode 1 were extremely provacative. They do a great job of creating a really authentic feel.

Shoot, the theme song by itself is freaking awesome.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #1182
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
What do you think coldhands is?

Purely Speculative Spoiler: ( Benjen Stark: 80%; The Night King 12%; Some other figure from history: 6%; Someone we've never heard of: 2%. )
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #1183
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Purely Speculative Spoiler: ( Benjen Stark: 80%; The Night King 12%; Some other figure from history: 6%; Someone we've never heard of: 2%. )
That is spot on with my theory as well
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #1184
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Not the first. He's explained to be extremely ancient
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #1185
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

What the HELL happened to Benjin?
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #1186
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
PMd
What is PMd?
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #1187
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Additional things that still aren't clear. It's not clear what kind of ritual is needed or what it's range might be in order to raise people as zombies. Or whether it's more or less automatic. (It certainly isn't automatic south of the Wall - at least not at this point.) It's also unclear whether the intelligent "Others" have their own bodies or are somehow possessing the bodies of the living. The whole thing is still uncatalogued (and probably scarier as a result of that).
When they created the wall, they instilled some sort of magic into its core. It acts as a giant stop gap on not just flesh, but spells. SPOILER: ( Remember when Snow went back over the wall, and he couldn't sense Ghost anymore? That was because of the wall blocking his warg senses. )

Last edited by DivineLegion; 04-05-2013 at 05:50 AM..
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #1188
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
What is PMd?
PM'd or private messaged ie "sent you a private message with the details."
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #1189
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not the first. He's explained to be extremely ancient
I don't think that's categorically chiseled in stone. The phrase "a long time ago" doesn't necessarily mean "extremely ancient." Given the identity of who said that and how we assume they would subjectively perceive the passage of time, I can see why you'd assume that, and it's a very strong point, but we also have to remember who is on the receiving end of this message, and the speaker may have been taking that into account. We also need to know more about the motivation of the speaker because some people are in cohoots with others and, at this point, it's not entirely clear why.

Remember that Martin often uses the device of unreliable narrators.

In short, I think Martin has left that door wide open by being just about as vague as possible.

When you get past that, you're left with bits and pieces of circumstantial evidence, pointing in various directions and floating around in a puddle of the still-unexplained.

Also, since we're dealing with a magical being in a world increasingly full of magical stuff, including possession and transmigration, the truth could actually be a some combination of the various theories.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #1190
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
PM'd or private messaged ie "sent you a private message with the details."
Thanks, I thought he was taking about a new torrent option or something that I didn't know about.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #1191
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Here's a little collection of GoT's themed NFL wallpapers.

Original Link to the Reddit Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments...a_vikings_and/

Link to the Imgur collection: http://whatshotdjroomba.imgur.com/
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #1192
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Motha-****'n

BUMP
Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #1193
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Motha-****'n

BUMP
Spoiler: (Up through the fifth novel, we still don't know. He may just be permanently MIA. Some people speculate that he was killed, transformed into a wight, but somehow retained his mind or personality and appears in later books as a character called "Coldhands." But that is a big ongoing mystery and far from clear or settled.)
Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #1194
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Additional Spoilers on White Walkers, Wights and "The Others": (1. In the TV Series, "The Others" are more frequently referred to as "White Walkers" than in the books. One reason for this was supposedly to avoid confusion with "The Others" as used in the "Lost" TV series. 2. The "wights" are pretty much as we've seen them portrayed in the TV series, i.e. undead. They aren't completely mindless (as in the Walking Dead") since they do retain some skills such as weaponry and -undead- horse riding, and a couple of them early on in the books showed at least a little familiarity with the Night Watch layout and pecking order. But they do appear to have very little free will. They are marked by the stench of decay, eerie blue eyes and dark hands where the frozen blood has congealed. 3. Recently, in an email to a comic book artist, who was trying to figure out how to portray "The Others," i.e. the leaders, Martin stated: "The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful ... think, oh ... the Sidhe [the fey of Celtic myth] made of ice, something like that ... a different sort of life ... inhuman, elegant, dangerous." (emphasis added) 4. However, in the TV series, "The Others" in the one quick shot we've seen, appear to be shadowed and "brutish" looking..)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Old Dude; 04-06-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #1195
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Episode 2, Season 3.

Lots of plotlines advancing slowly.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #1196
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
He's most likely dead. Not sure we will ever know for sure what happened to him. This story seems like the kind that won't spell everything out. The two rangers he was with were dead and its been a long time since that happened. Hard to believe he would be alive out there or that the others would bother having prisoners.

I guess he could be hiding somewhere but you would think he would have turned up by now.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #1197
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I have hopes he met with some children of the forest and they worked some voodoo on him.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #1198
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

What did we think of S3 E2?

I thought it was a bit slow, and with so much to fit into S3 I'm not sure why HBO continues to replace GRRM writing with their own, made up scenes and dialog.

I mean, it's still okay, but E2 was certainly lacking.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #1199
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
What did we think of S3 E2?

I thought it was a bit slow, and with so much to fit into S3 I'm not sure why HBO continues to replace GRRM writing with their own, made up scenes and dialog.

I mean, it's still okay, but E2 was certainly lacking.
I read an interview with the writers where they talked about the inclusion of Theons story in season 3. They needed to fill time in season 3 to spread the story out over 2 seasons, and they have a strange fascination with Theons character. Apparently the actor who portrays Theon blew them away with his characterization, and they felt like he needed to remain relivent. I feel like they could have focused more on Nights Watch, and their epic retreat. They cut a lot of the detail, including the battle of the fist, and they could have drawn these elements in if they would have planned it better. Apparently they are also worried about letting GOT take on the montra of a full fledged fantasy drama, this they don't emphasize the fantasy elements, and are more inclined to I corperate more personal dilemma. I think this is why it took them so long to incorporate the Reeds.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #1200
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I read an interview with the writers where they talked about the inclusion of Theons story in season 3. They needed to fill time in season 3 to spread the story out over 2 seasons, and they have a strange fascination with Theons character. Apparently the actor who portrays Theon blew them away with his characterization, and they felt like he needed to remain relivent. I feel like they could have focused more on Nights Watch, and their epic retreat. They cut a lot of the detail, including the battle of the fist, and they could have drawn these elements in if they would have planned it better. Apparently they are also worried about letting GOT take on the montra of a full fledged fantasy drama, this they don't emphasize the fantasy elements, and are more inclined to I corperate more personal dilemma. I think this is why it took them so long to incorporate the Reeds.
Interesting take. I'll agree that the actor playing Theon does a great job in pulling off a massively fallible yet ultimately fascinating character. For me he's just a little bit below Dinklage in that regard. I haven't read the books but I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens to Aria and the shapeshifting Morghullis (?) character.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote