The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default United States: Assassins for Hire

Mr. Muhammad and his followers had been killed by the C.I.A., the first time it had deployed a Predator drone in Pakistan to carry out a “targeted killing.” The target was not a top operative of Al Qaeda, but a Pakistani ally of the Taliban who led a tribal rebellion and was marked by Pakistan as an enemy of the state. In a secret deal, the C.I.A. had agreed to kill him in exchange for access to airspace it had long sought so it could use drones to hunt down its own enemies.

That back-room bargain, described in detail for the first time in interviews with more than a dozen officials in Pakistan and the United States, is critical to understanding the origins of a covert drone war that began under the Bush administration, was embraced and expanded by President Obama, and is now the subject of fierce debate. The deal, a month after a blistering internal report about abuses in the C.I.A.’s network of secret prisons, paved the way for the C.I.A. to change its focus from capturing terrorists to killing them, and helped transform an agency that began as a cold war espionage service into a paramilitary organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/wo...stan.html?_r=0
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The C.I.A. has since conducted hundreds of drone strikes in Pakistan that have killed thousands of people, Pakistanis and Arabs, militants and civilians alike. While it was not the first country where the United States used drones, it became the laboratory for the targeted killing operations that have come to define a new American way of fighting, blurring the line between soldiers and spies and short-circuiting the normal mechanisms by which the United States as a nation goes to war.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

The scary part about this technology is in the hands of a rouge government a people's revolt would be almost impossible. A handful of individuals could control millions
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

next step: "predator" satellites with fricking LAZERS to take out jerkoffs like Putin and Kim Dong Some. Sure would save thousands of American kids and tens of thousands in "collateral damage".
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The scary part about this technology is in the hands of a rouge government a people's revolt would be almost impossible. A handful of individuals could control millions
No they couldn't. There are the things called logistic, maintenance and supply chain that are required to keep drones active.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
No they couldn't. There are the things called logistic, maintenance and supply chain that are required to keep drones active.
Look into robotics, we are just a few years away from having AI robots,already the are far advanced than the general public is told.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This is why I always go back to the Lewis Carroll example in Alice in Wonderland (which was a satire, not a children's book) of an absurd universe where Humpty Dumpty says, "My words mean whatever I want them to mean." That's how we treat the Constitution. It pretty much says whatever we want it to say. Corporations are people with freedom of speech. Congress has to declare war before the killing starts, except they don't. People do that with their religious doctrines as well. The Bible says whatever you want it to say. So does the Koran.

Now we have a spy agency carrying out assassinations. I wonder what James Madison and Thomas Jefferson would think of that? Hell, we are Rome - a plutocracy with its own mercenary army.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
This is why I always go back to the Lewis Carroll example in Alice in Wonderland (which was a satire, not a children's book) of an absurd universe where Humpty Dumpty says, "My words mean whatever I want them to mean." That's how we treat the Constitution. It pretty much says whatever we want it to say. Corporations are people with freedom of speech. Congress has to declare war before the killing starts, except they don't. People do that with their religious doctrines as well. The Bible says whatever you want it to say. So does the Koran.

Now we have a spy agency carrying out assassinations. I wonder what James Madison and Thomas Jefferson would think of that? Hell, we are Rome - a plutocracy with its own mercenary army.
That should be no surprise to anyone. The only thing that has changed is fashion & technology. The personalities that sought that control over the unwashed masses are still here.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Look into robotics, we are just a few years away from having AI robots,already the are far advanced than the general public is told.
Yet another conspiracy that the lizard folks are keeping from us.....
Old 04-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
You really think the pentagon tells the public all about the technology they have. If you do you would be the only one on the planet that does.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
BTW if you can't contribute to the thread why not go back to the main board and argue the length of doom dick or something equally as trivial
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
orinjkrush

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
BTW if you can't contribute to the thread why not go back to the main board and argue the length of doom dick or something equally as trivial
it's hard to reason when you're source of news is comedy central.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
The notion drones will ever be killing Americans because we are in revolt is complete nonesense. Everyone knows it would be sharks with laser beems attached to their heads.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

the private sector would probably end up beating our govt. They are lazy. Plus we have 250 million and they only have people like Nancy Pelosi. I know most of us could take her 1-1.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
I'm guessing its big. I base that on the fact he's black and could kick my ass.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #16
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
You really think the pentagon tells the public all about the technology they have. If you do you would be the only one on the planet that does.
Actually what folks don't understand is that most modern US military gear and equipment is 10 to 15 year behind the commercial sector when comes to technology and on average it take 15 to 20 year for requirement being identified to us actually fielding an end item. And no matter what you think a solid large infrastructure is required for any assets, so once again your post was foolish and alarmist for no reason.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

That new laser we are putting on ships looks pretty sweet. They claim it is awesome for irans little speed boats they like to use. Now we can melt them without firing a shot. unexplained fire huh? We have no idea must have been a hot day.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
nyuk nyuk

Obama is a war criminal!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
nyuk nyuk

Old 04-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
orinjkrush

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

I wanna see sharks with fricking lazers!

Last edited by orinjkrush; 04-11-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
nyuk nyuk

Odd I see no condemnatory mention of the Democratic Party here - the same party that brought us Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Go figure.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Odd I see no condemnatory mention of the Democratic Party here - the same party that brought us Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Go figure.
Yeah! Cause after all, it's the same thing.

BTW, who's the Tomb Raider pretender in your av?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yeah! Cause after all, it's the same thing.

BTW, who's the Tomb Raider pretender in your av?
Please tell me you're kidding. That's Gabby Giffords with an AR 15 at a firing range. She and Captain Mark have quite a thing for those rifles.

Whups, here she is with an AK

Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 04-11-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
nyuk nyuk

And you're right - Hiroshima and Nagasaki aren't the same thing as these predator drone strikes. Good call there.

Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 04-11-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #25
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Getting shot through the head wouldn't change nyuk's views at all.

Wouldn't cause any significant damage.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote