The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #26
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
I'm an economist.... I love love love linear regression models.

This doesn't seem as correlative as the line function would imply. I'd like to know the r-squared and p-value of this regression. Judging by the outliers, I think this has as much to do with homogeneity/education/quality of life as it does gun ownership.

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 04-05-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

South Dakota and North Dakota = high ownership of guns and people aren't dying. . . but now teachers can pack heat in schools in SD. Wonder when the first tragedy will happen.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm convinced that extreme wealth disparity (the worst in the world) makes America the most violent country in the world.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I'm convinced that extreme wealth disparity (the worst in the world) makes America the most violent country in the world.
This. If only because it's backed up with mountains of studies and data.

Last edited by Blart; 04-05-2013 at 02:17 PM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
That's kind of what I implied with homogeneity... and it plays a huge factor in it. It's only true to a certain extent, though. There can be perfect equality, and if everyone is starving, there will still be violence.

Wealth disparity isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would rather be a poor 50k where my boss makes 1million than a wealthy 10k in South Sudan.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
I'm an economist.... I love love love linear regression models.

This doesn't seem as correlative as the line function would imply. I'd like to know the r-squared and p-value of this regression. Judging by the outliers, I think this has as much to do with homogeneity/education/quality of life as it does gun ownership.
Wyoming's the least populated state in the union, for example, there's more people living in the Colorado Springs, CO metro area than in the entire state of Wyoming.

So I'd take this Mother Jone's graph with a grain of salt.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #32
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
There can be perfect equality, and if everyone is starving, there will still be violence.
Much less violence than in an unequal society. I'd link the studies, but you have to pay for them. RIP Aaron Schwartz.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #33
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Sounds about right.

That sheriff sucks on tv. Sounds like a date rapist.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Are you ****ing serious?

You actually questioning his comment? Women watch daytime soaps and shows like Ricki Lake and Oz to get their information. My wife has no clue about important issues like North Korea because "I don't want to hear about bad things as I want to wind down from work". This is pretty much the norm. Women are easily influenced by shows like this. I am sure someone can pull up demographics to back it up.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #35
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Wyoming's the least populated state in the union, for example, there's more people living in the Colorado Springs, CO metro area than in the entire state of Wyoming.

So I'd take this Mother Jone's graph with a grain of salt.
The data sample is still in the hundreds of thousands, which is plenty of data to make an argument. THe whole data cluster is borrowed fro ma sample size of 300 million. I'd say it's pretty reliable.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #36
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Since 1980, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the United States has lost about a quarter of its manufacturing jobs. Between 1990 and 2000 CEO pay increased 570 percent. The average worker’s salary, however, increased only 34 percent. Of the total increase in all American income from 1980 to 2005, more than 80 percent went to the top one percent. The wealth of that top one percent of Americans now exceeds the combined wealth of the bottom 95 percent. America has the worst wealth distribution of any first-world nation. Income distribution in the United States, as Timothy Noah put it in a 2010 piece he wrote for Slate, is now “more unequal than in Guyana, Nicaragua, and Venezuela, and roughly on par with Uruguay, Argentina, and Ecuador.”

----------------------

A culture that breeds revolt is one in which a vast army of ill-paid and largely miserable people toils in service to a soulless corporate institution or a few very wealthy people. The message this sends is that anyone outside of the top tier of American movers and shakers is not experiencing some temporary economic setback but, rather, is in some way fundamentally and irrevocably inferior. (“If you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself”) This is a trap from which the eventual perpetrators feel they have no way out. Confined by his lack of power, the “crazed” gunman fixates on exercising what little power he does have.

----------------------------------

As societies become more inequitable, they become more violent. That’s because gross inequities in wealth make people feel angry and impotent and irrelevant. Their sense of powerlessness is ratified and reinforced by a culture and economic system in which the small group of winners feels morally justified in dismissing the large and growing number of losers (“There are 47 percent who … who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. … I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”)

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/ten...t_th041920.php
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
It's too bad the Obama regime has skyrocketed the inflation of assets...putting real wealth out of reach of average Americans.

It's all part of his liberal progressive plan to put control of the masses into the hands of few.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #38
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
This has to be the most naive post I've ever seen on this website. Ya I'm sure the NYtimes msnbc etc loves to report something that favors a conservative point of view.
I disagree, and therefore I'm naive. I can't believe I let myself get sucked into one of these again. It'll be yet another argument in which facts are refuted with feelings, and the whole thing just goes nowhere. I just wich Mock were hear to threaten to hit me in the face with a rifle.

It took me 3 seconds to type in "msnbc.com" and find this, right on the front page.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...tax-hikes?lite

It pretty much outlines Boehners view, and directly quotes him. I have no idea how you spin this to be somehow be "liberally biased". This from what is supposedly the liberal answer to Fox news.

Oh right above it?

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...l-comment?lite

Which is an article describing a controversy that puts Obama in a negative light. Something they could have easily buried or ignored, yet it's right in the damn center.

Many conservatives just don't seem to understand how extreme their viewpoints really are. They interpret EVERYTHING to have a liberal bias, because the facts simply don't line up with their worldview. A positive story about Obama? LIBERAL BIAS! A positive story about the economy? LIBERAL BIAS! Anything positive anywhere at all? LIBERAL BIAS!

*sighs*

Whatever, I long ago decided that I will no longer argue with brick walls. I'm leaving this thread, I have bigger things to do with my life.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
lol

There are idiots on both side of the isle.
especially those that don't spell "aisle" correctly.

Quote:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ths-fact-check

Want more statistics? Sorry, the NRA lobbies to stop all gun studies, they stop all data collection, and put barriers to information sharing. The NRA's biggest fear is an informed public.
By your graph, it seems the Dakotas and surrounding states have a good supply of guns but are completely missing their targets. At least Montana has their **** (and aim) together!

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 04-05-2013 at 02:39 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #40
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
unfortunate truth....

Seems Mexico is the same way as well (not that this is a good thing either)
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #41
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You actually questioning his comment? Women watch daytime soaps and shows like Ricki Lake and Oz to get their information. My wife has no clue about important issues like North Korea because "I don't want to hear about bad things as I want to wind down from work". This is pretty much the norm. Women are easily influenced by shows like this. I am sure someone can pull up demographics to back it up.
My fiancee thought everyone deserved "free healthcare" until I told her somebody actually had to pay for it.

Most of her friends believe the same thing. It's amazing how much a simple explanation of the facts makes a difference. It's a shame that such a large percentage of Americans simply don't understand the ruinous policies of the liberal progressive regime.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #42
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

I always get my news & opinions directly from the police

Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
My fiancee thought everyone deserved "free healthcare" until I told her somebody actually had to pay for it.
Sweety, if you had "free" healthcare, the wealthiest people in the world might have to skip on the langoustines next time they eat out. You wouldn't want to deny someone a tasty appetizer, would you?

Last edited by Blart; 04-05-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #44
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Sweety, if you had "free" healthcare, the wealthiest people in the world might have to skip on the langoustines next time they eat out. You wouldn't want to deny someone a tasty appetizer, would you?
Honey child please, I could care less how much Bill Gates spends on dinner. Like most Americans, I only want to be able to provide for my family, and hope that they can live and prosper better than I have, after I'm gone.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #45
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Have u not seen MSNBC?? That channel is full of hypocritical, elitist, borderline racist, and liberal BS! This footage could fill a day of MSNBC tea party hating reports. They would love this. Those guys HATE Bush or anybody that disagrees with them on that network.
fixed it for you
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #46
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It's too bad the Obama regime has skyrocketed the inflation of assets...putting real wealth out of reach of average Americans.

It's all part of his liberal progressive plan to put control of the masses into the hands of few.
It's too bad this current trend of skyrocketing disparity started under Reagan and is directly related to his policies.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #47
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
especially those that don't spell "aisle" correctly.

By your graph, it seems the Dakotas and surrounding states have a good supply of guns but are completely missing their targets. At least Montana has their **** (and aim) together!
I was referring to the Isle of Man... an island west of the UK, meaning you find dumb people in both the US and Europe
Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #48
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
The data sample is still in the hundreds of thousands, which is plenty of data to make an argument. THe whole data cluster is borrowed fro ma sample size of 300 million. I'd say it's pretty reliable.
It's the conclusions from the data that I think are what will be wrong. Again, it shows Wyoming at the top of the graph so it's saying that Wyoming has the most gun deaths from guns due to the most gun ownership. But the reality is that even though there are more guns per capita in Wyoming, there's not more violent crime. Yes, people tend to commit suicide in Wyoming (you should see this place, it's depressing as hell) and there are more suicides in places like Montana and Colorado. This of course is due to the fact that people move to the mountains, thinking they are going to change there lives and live happily ever after and then reality hits, they get depressed and kill themsleves. A lot of the time with guns.

In other words, Mother Jones wants everyone to draw conclusions from their chart that may not be reality.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #49
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
It's too bad this current trend of skyrocketing disparity started under Reagan and is directly related to his policies.
By the time Obama is done, he will have added more federal debt than all other presidents before him combined.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #50
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Never thought there were so many backward thinking Bronco fans.

LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote