The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #1651
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I have him down as a 4.74 in the 40, which was one of the worst out of the Safeties. I have him with a 34.5 vertical, which is also one of the worst. I have him with a 1.68 10 yard split, which was the worst of the guys I still have available. His functional strength and his arm length is fine.

He was a WR a few years ago, but wasn't dynamic enough to stick at that position for the same reasons.

His production as a safety the last two years was solid, but he seldom made plays on the ball. He's on my 7th Round list, but he's behind several other Safeties still outstanding that are more athletic and more productive.

What is it that you really like about McDougald compared to the other prospects at that position remaining?
maybe do a little more research than just looking at nfl.com combine results. Ran a 4.52 at pro day, 34.5 vert, 10.2 broad jump, good hands and ball skills as noted by playing receiver. 89 and 92 tackles in past 2 years....5 pass break ups and 2 ints junior year, 3 ints senior year.
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #1652
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
maybe do a little more research than just looking at nfl.com combine results. Ran a 4.52 at pro day, 34.5 vert, 10.2 broad jump, good hands and ball skills as noted by playing receiver. 89 and 92 tackles in past 2 years....5 pass break ups and 2 ints junior year, 3 ints senior year.
sorry that sounded snooty, but come on man, check the pro days circuit as well. Some peopel just have bad combines.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #1653
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I came up big time with the Bengals and I even pitched in and gave the Texans what they needed. Lonnie Pryor, what you gonna do homies?

#reqstorm #winning #bestgmsinceAlDavis
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #1654
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You guys are gonna **** your pants when Houston drafts an awesome player here. Confirming with 24champ right now.
It better not be the guy I think you're going to take. He's my next selection.

That said, there are some good players remaining. I'm happy to still have three selections left.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #1655
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
It better not be the guy I think you're going to take. He's my next selection.

That said, there are some good players remaining. I'm happy to still have three selections left.
Probably wasn't, but I have a lot of players I like on my board of 200 (that's it this year) still available.

Lonnie was tops on them. I am hoping some of the guys I like make it through to the UDFA round.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #1656
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I came up big time with the Bengals and I even pitched in and gave the Texans what they needed. Lonnie Pryor, what you gonna do homies?

#reqstorm #winning #bestgmsinceAlDavis

Bah, that was whom I thought it would be. Best FB in the draft, devastating blocker, and offers decent hands and short yardage capabilities. 5th Round value.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #1657
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Zach Line looks pretty good too, but obviously he is getting the look at moving to FB. I have a HUGE FSU bias, but I love Pryor. Just a great team player and does everything right. He is a truck. Some places have him as a fourth round guy, but he's a 5(A) value in my book and Top 150 player.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #1658
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
sorry that sounded snooty, but come on man, check the pro days circuit as well. Some peopel just have bad combines.
It's fine, you like your selection. I have a massive excel file with Combine times and Pro Day times, I didn't update his 40 because I discount all tracks where the Combine differential is massive. There are a few prospects in this draft that I feel ran on a fast track at the Pro Day and that it is not representative of their true speed.

So, what I do in that circumstance is I cross check his analysis with other draftnik style sites for evidence of his true athleticism, for example, National Football Post is the note I quoted for McDougald:

Quote:
- McDougald has excellent height and bulk for the position. On interceptions, he demonstrates solid open field running instincts.

WEAKNESSES - McDougald is a slow-twitch athlete that lacks the range to make plays against the run or pass outside the hashes. He does not show the burst needed to break and close effectively on plays in front, and struggles to change directions to stay with moving targets. When trying to tackle he often gets flat footed and struggles to adjust to quick cuts, or fails to break down effectively while attacking and overruns his target completely.

SUMMARY - Bradley McDougald looks the part "on the hoof," but his athletic limitations will likely keep him from being able to sustain an NFL career with one team. He is a former WR and flashes the instincts to be a threat in the return game, but his lacks of speed, physicality and agility makes him a liability in coverage and ineffective in space. He also consistently missed tackles in games I viewed because of his flat-footed stance and inability to change directions. In order to have any chance at making an NFL roster he will need to immediately prove his worth on special teams, as he is at best a rotational box safety.

So, at this point, I stick with the Combine numbers because they appear to be the true indicators, and I cut/paste a note about the prospect.

All that being said, even if his true speed was a 4.5, there are still more athletic and productive safeties outstanding.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #1659
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I have four safeties still in my Top 200 and two of them I think are steals at this point.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #1660
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Zach Line looks pretty good too, but obviously he is getting the look at moving to FB. I have a HUGE FSU bias, but I love Pryor. Just a great team player and does everything right. He is a truck. Some places have him as a fourth round guy, but he's a 5(A) value in my book and Top 150 player.
Yeah, I had Pryor ahead of Line for my next selection, but those were my two highest rated guys. Lost both. That sucks, but I have one more I like. The Bengals lost Brian Leonard. The two FBs, Connor and Pressley are lackluster, and BJGE is bleh.

Line would be someone I felt could replace BJGE. Pryor probably wouldn't, but he's such a destructive blocker and offers versatility, that I could have put him and Bernard on the field together and the play could be any type. Would have loved that.

But you took my damn guy!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #1661
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I'm sorry dude. Just find solace in knowing that you are doing a good job -- and the Bengals and Texans raped this draft.

You will find quality players. Send me a message if you want to see who my top remaining are.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #1662
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
It's fine, you like your selection. I have a massive excel file with Combine times and Pro Day times, I didn't update his 40 because I discount all tracks where the Combine differential is massive. There are a few prospects in this draft that I feel ran on a fast track at the Pro Day and that it is not representative of their true speed.

So, what I do in that circumstance is I cross check his analysis with other draftnik style sites for evidence of his true athleticism, for example, National Football Post is the note I quoted for McDougald:

So, at this point, I stick with the Combine numbers because they appear to be the true indicators, and I cut/paste a note about the prospect.

All that being said, even if his true speed was a 4.5, there are still more athletic and productive safeties outstanding.
Its all good my man... we will just have to wait till draft day. Everyone has different grades on people.... Just look at that d1ck from PFW blasting Geno Smith..
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1663
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Its all good my man... we will just have to wait till draft day. Everyone has different grades on people.... Just look at that d1ck from PFW blasting Geno Smith..
lol, for sure.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #1664
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Wow. Only 20 more picks! This is great. Let's finish strong!!
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #1665
GoHAM
Ring of Famer

36, now that's shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein

Damn it I was so excited to draft Rodney Smith for the Broncos that I forgot to update my board with the last couple of picks. I'll pick soon.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #1666
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
For the 5 teams that employ a fullback that is
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #1667
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Was really hoping Socalorado grabbed Rodney Smith, I would have laughed for a week. At least.

Anyway, thoughts on recent picks:

Mychal Rivera, Tennessee. Very nice value here in the late 7th. Quality all around TE that should go a round or two earlier. Also fills a solid need for the 49ers.

Eric Martin, Nebraska. I like him, obviously. It's been tough not to talk about him while I waited to see if he'd fall to my selection the last few rounds. I hope Denver drafts him. If Miller were to ever get injured, we'd have to change our entire scheme. Martin would be able to fill in quite capably and we wouldn't have to change a thing. It would be fun to see him and Miller on the field at the same time, like Clemons and Irvin in Seattle on passing downs.
He's not as good of a fit for the Bengals, but they can blitz him from SAM on passing downs, and he can always line up wide at DE. He's quick as hell, so he'll destroy RTs.

Bradley McDougald, Kansas. Productive at Kansas, but really lacks the athleticism you want at Safety. There were far better options available.

Zach Line, SMU. Reminds me of Peyton Hillis. He can catch, he runs hard, he's tough as hell. I think this is a great upside selection. He's either a west coast FB, or he's a situational RB in the NFL. Kind of a strange fit with Philly, especially since they paid big dollars to James Casey to be a hybrid type guy, but in terms of draft value, I like it. I think he goes in the 6th round. I hope Shanahan takes him, he'll know what to do with him in Washington.

Jeff Tuel, Washington State. There's a few QBs that are somewhat intriguing at the ass end of this draft. He's on that list. I would not draft any of them, but if you're concerned about signing them in UDFA, it certainly makes sense.

Rodney Smith, FSU. Ludo drafted him twice, which was epic. I like him here. Lots of upside, has all the physical tools you could want. Just never happened for him at FSU, he was stuck in a rut of mediocrity. Good developmental guy, a picture perfect 7th round pick.
I am kinda stuck having to hussle here a bit.
Flynn is gone, and SEA literally had as of 2 days ago, no other QB on the roster.
They signed QB Josh Portis on Tues.
So.......here i am in the 7th round trying to make chicken salad outta chicken
Sh!*@t.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #1668
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
For the 5 teams that employ a fullback that is
Well, sure -- but with what Leach/Casey (more Casey with receiving the past few years) did with Houston and how Kubiak has utilized the position in the past, I see it as a tremendous fit. Especially when we had nobody there from the get-go. There were a few other guys 24champ and I were discussing, but I completely forgot about the void at FB and still realized Pryor was on board.

Might be in the minority here, but I'm absolutely stoked to know that I got a guy who is probably going to start for a while in the NFL at that position and keep the roster spot due to his ability to block and catch out of the backfield. As mentioned in another post, he can also played TB if need be and is a versatile threat on offense. His play time as a running back has given him amazing field awareness. In a split back set, he can also pick up the blitz. He absolutely took a **** all over Northern Illinois.

I don't see how people can't like this pick. Most guys are farting out names from other draft boards and I'm sticking to what I know and players I've watched forever. Lonnie is one of the most unselfish, team respected and dedicated players I've seen on the Noles and has done whatever is asked on the team to keep a role and make things work.

What else can you want out of a seventh round pick?

I'm hitting 28 foot jump shots with my selections. There is no doubt about it. I've made some questionable picks in years past (Brandon Harris to the Chargers in round one, ) -- but getting guys like Coples, Glenn, Wilkerson, Heyward, Flacco, etc. where I got them in the drafts I did have made me pretty proud. I feel GREAT about what I did with CIN/HOU this year and honestly feel that I did not make one bad pick this draft. Great value everywhere, IMHO.

Last edited by Requiem; 04-05-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #1669
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

I would agree Req, but of course, the truth will only be known in about 20 days. Can't wait to enjoy the draft week, and then come back here the next week and see how we all did. Too bad you don't live near Jax, I think I'm like 10 years older or something, but I'd still party with ya for the draft!

But, that's why I like commenting on all the selections. I'll either look like a doofus or somewhat knowledgeable, but I learn every year on mistakes, and improve my evaluations going forward. They are really more for me than anyone else, it's a nice convenient way to publish thoughts on a plethora of prospects. And I love when people debate back and give me a side of the equation I missed.

Anyway, this is fun, and my favorite time of the year.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #1670
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

My favorite time of the year too. I'm 25 -- I'll be 26 next Friday. Spring rolls around come April, my birthday, NFL Draft, etc. Just a wonderful time of the year.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #1671
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Texans end their draft. I let Req walk up to the podium to announce the last selection of Lonnie Pryor. A 4th-5th round grade on him, and exactly the type of player the Texans to have in the WCO. Kubiak will utilize him very well in the red zone.

As for the overall draft, I think the Texans had the best draft and possibly one of the best drafts in OM history. Req deserves his props for this draft, makes an excellent co-gm and hopefully returns next year.

This particular draft class brings the Texans more athleticism, and more importantly toughness/grit that they have lacked in their previous playoff runs.

1-27- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
AKA Dafone! Projected to go in the 20s. Had a breakout Senior Season at UCLA and potentially could be a star in the NFL. Would be excellent tandem with Watts.

2-27 Kyle Long, OT/OG, Oregon
Big, physical and remarkably athletic. Lots of potential, but needs more experience. Projected to go in the 2nd-3rd round.

3-27 Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
Dobson could not run at the combine due to a hamstring injury, however he ran a 4.40 and 4.42 at his pro day. Has the size and hands to go along with that kind of speed. He will be a welcome addition to an aging WR corps. He won't wait very long to hear his name called in the draft.

3-33 Trevardo Williams, LB, UConn
Mediator called him the best pure pass rusher in this draft and wanted to trade for him after the selection. Nothing else needs to be said. Projected to go in the 2nd-3rd round.

4-27 Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma
Although undersized for his position...he's an athletic, tough-minded safety. Plays all over the field, in a stack, on slot receivers, and single-high. Can lay the wood. Projected to go anywhere from 3rd -5th round.

5-27 Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois
Spence is a physical tackler and powerful hitter. Projected 3rd-4th round pick.

6-27 Khaled Holmes, OC, USC
Fills a need for the Texans, is one of the better centers in the draft. Excellent value in the 6th round, Holmes is projected to go in the 4th round.

6-33 Alec Lemon, WR, Syracuse
Has the best hands in the draft, excellent route running. Could be a Wes Welker type WR in the NFL. Projected to go in the 6th round.

7-27 Lonnie Pryor, FB, Florida State
A versatile weapon capable of flattening defenders as both a lead blocker and runner. Will be a fan favorite wherever he ends up. Projected to go in the 4th-5th round.

And with that, me and Req roll out of here....

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #1672
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

good job guys... best on paper make believe draft evah!!

seriously love the travardo pick, i really wanted that guy. Will be fun to see the results of our draft this year and beyond!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #1673
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Houston had a great draft. The pick I like the least is apparently everyone else's favorite, Trevardo Williams. I like him in the 4th round as a SAM LB in a 43 defense. I like the guy I got in the 7th as a 34 OLB more. Williams' size is not ideal, but despite a decent 40, he's not overly quick and his change of direction is average. Important traits for a 34 LB looking to bend the edge. And even more important when you don't have the length that is prototypical for the position. I also am leery that in the last two years, I don't see a quality opponent that Williams had to go against. And he was injured for the Senior Bowl. I want to see what this guy can do against a 4 star recruit at OT, especially since his playing weight was 230 or below.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong on Williams, but I just don't see how anyone can have a different opinion. The evidence is just not out there to examine. It must all be projection off of something, I'd like to know what.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #1674
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Well, sure -- but with what Leach/Casey (more Casey with receiving the past few years) did with Houston and how Kubiak has utilized the position in the past, I see it as a tremendous fit. Especially when we had nobody there from the get-go. There were a few other guys 24champ and I were discussing, but I completely forgot about the void at FB and still realized Pryor was on board.

Might be in the minority here, but I'm absolutely stoked to know that I got a guy who is probably going to start for a while in the NFL at that position and keep the roster spot due to his ability to block and catch out of the backfield. As mentioned in another post, he can also played TB if need be and is a versatile threat on offense. His play time as a running back has given him amazing field awareness. In a split back set, he can also pick up the blitz. He absolutely took a **** all over Northern Illinois.

I don't see how people can't like this pick. Most guys are farting out names from other draft boards and I'm sticking to what I know and players I've watched forever. Lonnie is one of the most unselfish, team respected and dedicated players I've seen on the Noles and has done whatever is asked on the team to keep a role and make things work.

What else can you want out of a seventh round pick?

I'm hitting 28 foot jump shots with my selections. There is no doubt about it. I've made some questionable picks in years past (Brandon Harris to the Chargers in round one, ) -- but getting guys like Coples, Glenn, Wilkerson, Heyward, Flacco, etc. where I got them in the drafts I did have made me pretty proud. I feel GREAT about what I did with CIN/HOU this year and honestly feel that I did not make one bad pick this draft. Great value everywhere, IMHO.
Dude, Sarcasm Smilie. Chill Out Bro
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #1675
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Houston had a great draft. The pick I like the least is apparently everyone else's favorite, Trevardo Williams. I like him in the 4th round as a SAM LB in a 43 defense. I like the guy I got in the 7th as a 34 OLB more. Williams' size is not ideal, but despite a decent 40, he's not overly quick and his change of direction is average. Important traits for a 34 LB looking to bend the edge. And even more important when you don't have the length that is prototypical for the position. I also am leery that in the last two years, I don't see a quality opponent that Williams had to go against. And he was injured for the Senior Bowl. I want to see what this guy can do against a 4 star recruit at OT, especially since his playing weight was 230 or below.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong on Williams, but I just don't see how anyone can have a different opinion. The evidence is just not out there to examine. It must all be projection off of something, I'd like to know what.
Trevardo would be a first round pick if he had the ideal size and strength. I think he will be just as dangerous in a 3-4 defense than a 4-3 because in a 3-4, he won't have his hands on the ground. He'll be more of a threat in a 3-4 in the LEO spot, right behind JJ Watts. Who are you going to stop? The OL is going to have a helluva time stopping that combo.

Trevardo does need to pack on some meat, he's undersized but I think with his frame, can put on 15 pounds without losing his speed. And with the proper coaching, he can work on his coverage skills as well. Pass rushing is a premium in this league. Can't pass it up.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: