The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #2476
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
While true, that's not on this regime since they weren't here before this year. Alex Smith fits our system fairly well and Andy Reid has always liked him.

I will trust Andy Reid here with his history of the QB position.

But it does say a lot that NFL personnel are not impressed with this class.

I would like to see them draft a QB high in the next year or two and keep Alex Smith around in the mean time.

Alex Smith signing is like Jake Plummer to the Broncos IMO. Same kind of move with the same kind of feel. Good QB coach getting an average QB to fit his system.
But Jake came into a team that had the pieces already in place around him. Alex has Charles and one career avg to below avg WR behind no OL to speak of and a D filled with one trick pony's.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #2477
Rolandftw

I think they'll have a good offensive line after the draft. Other then Bowe, receivers are still weak though. Definitely not a believer in their secondary. I could see Alex Smith having a Jake Plummer type value for the Chiefs. I'm sure most Chief fans would be satisfied with Smith if he led KC to multiple playoff births, and a trip to the AFC Championship game.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #2478
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm still scratching my head as to why Reid thinks Alex Smith fits his type of throw heavy offense... my best guess is he will have to design his offense around Smith's strengths which means a conservative dink and dunk type of offense. Maybe Reid will run the ball more with Charles on the team and open up the passing lanes this way, who knows? It's all a mystery right now IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #2479
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
But Jake came into a team that had the pieces already in place around him. Alex has Charles and one career avg to below avg WR behind no OL to speak of and a D filled with one trick pony's.
I didn't realize a WR that puts up 1,000 yard caliber seasons every year and is top 10 in touchdowns for WR's over the last 3 years with some of the worst QB's in the NFL is considered "average to below average".

Your hatred for the Chiefs blinds your reality.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #2480
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Nice job of using his 15 year statistical outlier to prove he is a top 10 receiver in terms of touchdowns. Lol. He has had 8 in the past 27 games. Lmfao.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #2481
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nice job of using his 15 year statistical outlier to prove he is a top 10 receiver in terms of touchdowns. Lol. He has had 8 in the past 27 games. Lmfao.
Name 10 receivers you'd take over him.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #2482
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Megatron
Fitz
Demaryius
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Andre Johnson

Yeah, that's probably it. I'd be very happy to have Bowe in Denver.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #2483
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
Brandon Marshall
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Larry Fitzgerald
Roddy White
DeSean Jackson
Wes Welker
Steve Smith
Greg Jennings
Mike Wallace
Anquane Boldin
Demarius Thomas
Victor Cruz
Hakeem Nicks
Jordy Nelson
Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #2484
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
Brandon Marshall
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Larry Fitzgerald
Roddy White
DeSean Jackson
Wes Welker
Steve Smith
Greg Jennings

Mike Wallace
Anquane Boldin

Demarius Thomas
Victor Cruz
Hakeem Nicks

Jordy Nelson

Last edited by KCStud; 04-04-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #2485
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
You said 10, I listed 17 other WRs that I'd possibly take before Bowe, depending on the situation. However, there are 10 WRs there, no question I'd take before Bowe.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #2486
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
I've already given my 2 cents on the Chiefs doing the smart thing and locking in Bowe because they have nobody else on their roster. I think he is a good player, but I don't know if he is a Top 10 NFL WR. The fifteen touchdown season, as I said, is an outlier, his production isn't all-world or awesome in comparison to a large number of receivers in the NFL.

I'll go with the obvious guys I'd take over him any day of the week:

Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Roddy White
Larry Fitzgerald
Brandon Marshall
Andre Johnson
Dez Bryant
Marques Colston

Two guys the Broncos already have: Wes Welker and Demaryius Thomas.

What does that make, 11? That wasn't even hard.

FWIW, it doesn't include guys that others have mentioned (V. Jackson, Jennings, Cruz, Nicks, Wayne, Harvin, Smith, etc.) who are versatile and offer just as much as Bowe has done in the passing game. And there are a few others as well. Blackmon played well for a dogpiss team in Jacksonville last year and will probably be an elite player if they get a good QB.

I think you would be hard pressed to come up with a lot of NFL GM's and executives who would consistently rank Bowe in the Top 10. I just rattled off about 15-20, which is probably where Bowe would be. In that 10-15 range. Bring up all those receivers and look at their career numbers (most have played five to six years like Bowe has) and tell me where he ranks among his peers.

Last edited by Requiem; 04-04-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2487
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Don't you ever get sick of having to defend a big bag of mashed up a-holes so much?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #2488
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You said 10, I listed 17 other WRs that I'd possibly take before Bowe, depending on the situation. However, there are 10 WRs there, no question I'd take before Bowe.
Bowe is just as good as all the other players I bolded.

And before you begin to blast Bowe for "drops", you might want to keep in mind that Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker tied for 3rd in the NFL in drops with 9 each.

If Bowe had Peyton Manning, he'd be putting up at least 1,250 yards and 12 TD's a year. At least.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #2489
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Dez Bryant and Vincent Jackson are two more WRs I'd consider before Bowe...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #2490
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Bowe is just as good as all the other players I bolded.

And before you begin to blast Bowe for "drops", you might want to keep in mind that Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker tied for 3rd in the NFL in drops with 9 each.

If Bowe had Peyton Manning, he'd be putting up at least 1,250 yards and 12 TD's a year. At least.
man, if Bowe had a QB, they would have taken state. no doubt. Not a doubt in my mind.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #2491
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
man, if Bowe had a QB, they would have taken state. no doubt. Not a doubt in my mind.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #2492
Rolandftw

Bowe's near the bottom of the top ten probably. If he doesn't make the top ten, he's in the 11-13 range at least. No way would I rather have Brandon Marshall over Bowe, at this point. Wouldn't want someone like Marshall anywhere near my team
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #2493
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandftw View Post
Bowe's near the bottom of the top ten probably. If he doesn't make the top ten, he's in the 11-13 range at least. No way would I rather have Brandon Marshall over Bowe, at this point. Wouldn't want someone like Marshall anywhere near my team
This. I think 8-10 range. I wouldn't want Dez Bryant on my team either. He can't even go to the bathroom without someone holding his hand.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #2494
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 2 Apr
Just looked up the Chiefs depth chart…Can't remember seeing a better group of players for a team picking 1st in the #NFLDraft.

hmmm
Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #2495
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Chiefs won't win a Super Bowl before 2050.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #2496
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I am very curious how the Chiefs will do. I do agree they underachieved last season, but I also don't think they're a QB and a coach away from the SB like their fans believe.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #2497
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I am very curious how the Chiefs will do. I do agree they underachieved last season, but I also don't think they're a QB and a coach away from the SB like their fans believe.
I'm not sure where you're getting this Kaylore?

Idk any Chiefs fans or media who think they are a QB and coach away from the SB. I know a lot of Chiefs fans believe they are a QB and head coach away from making the playoffs as a 5th or 6th seed though.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #2498
FearLanier

Quote:
I'm still scratching my head as to why Reid thinks Alex Smith fits his type of throw heavy offense... my best guess is he will have to design his offense around Smith's strengths which means a conservative dink and dunk type of offense. Maybe Reid will run the ball more with Charles on the team and open up the passing lanes this way, who knows? It's all a mystery right now IMHO.
KC radio explained this perfectly.

Alex Smith is very effective throwing the short and intermediate routes. He's capable of throwing downfield pretty well, but it isn't a strength by any means.

The WCO that Reid runs is like Bill Walsh's WCO, which is built primarily on short and horizontal passes to stretch the defense out to create lanes for the RB and holes in the middle for WR's.

Alex Smith is a very accurate passer in that role and fits it extremely well. It is more of a "dink and dunk" system, but it works.

The Patriots do a lot of horizontal passes as well in the same strategy, but if I had to compare it to a certain system than ironically I'd compare it to what Todd Haley did last year in Pittsburgh.

He ran that dink and dunk style with Big Ben and even though Steeler fans were skeptical about it, Big Ben had one of his best and most efficient seasons last year.

I think the plan is to run that style this year. It helps when you have Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe to get some YAC. That is afterall what made Cassel look so good in 2010.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #2499
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
KC radio explained this perfectly.

Alex Smith is very effective throwing the short and intermediate routes. He's capable of throwing downfield pretty well, but it isn't a strength by any means.

The WCO that Reid runs is like Bill Walsh's WCO, which is built primarily on short and horizontal passes to stretch the defense out to create lanes for the RB and holes in the middle for WR's.

Alex Smith is a very accurate passer in that role and fits it extremely well. It is more of a "dink and dunk" system, but it works.

The Patriots do a lot of horizontal passes as well in the same strategy, but if I had to compare it to a certain system than ironically I'd compare it to what Todd Haley did last year in Pittsburgh.

He ran that dink and dunk style with Big Ben and even though Steeler fans were skeptical about it, Big Ben had one of his best and most efficient seasons last year.

I think the plan is to run that style this year. It helps when you have Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe to get some YAC. That is afterall what made Cassel look so good in 2010.
yah ok, like I said, dink and dunk with captain check down. I'll keep saying this until I actually watch it: Reid is not known for this type of offense, that is, an offense that dinks and dunks and relies on the running game. Reid is almost re-inventing himself and his offensive philosophy. Can Reid do this? I don't know, but we will soon find out.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #2500
R-Mac

Jeff Garcia: 113 TDs in 74 games with the 49ers. Alex Smith: 81 TDs in 80 games with the 49ers. I could understand Broncos' fans getting excited with the arrival of Peyton Manning. I can't understand Chiefs' fans that are celebrating a new era with Alex Smith. His best season: 3,144 yards, 17 TDs (19 total including 2 rushing TDs). Tim Tebow scored 18 total TDs in 2011. Remember when McDaniels brought Kyle Orton? That's how they should feel. The excitement of having a "game manager" when the best QBs in the pass-happy NFL are throwing for 4,000+ yards and 30+ TDs.