The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #101
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
We have people here that do a TON of different jobs, what is one piece of advice or knowledge you would give everyone from the OM that people outside your industry dont or wouldnt know? Should come up with some cool tidbits of information. Name your industry and advice

Mine: Athletics.

Want your kid to be a great athlete? Enroll them in gymnastics and soccer early in life, dont begin the sport specialization process til 14-16 years old at the earliest. Allow your kid to pick the sport they want to play, and give them a few months off from sports every year to focus on offseason work (strength/speed/recovery).
The best job is one you make yourself.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #102
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
The best job is one you make yourself.
I'm still working on my flexibility to make this a reality one day.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #103
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You left out the fact that right now most likely one of your teachers banging a student. Notice you didn't mention anything about teachers? Are they that easy to manage?
I don't think it's common. It's probably a low percentage, but anyhow I've never had to tackle that issue. Most teachers do there job, some are bad. Same as any job that involves managing people.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #104
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Here is some more good advise.

Never pay for a fuel injection service. Biggest ripoff of them all.

Only do a motor flush as an absolute last case scenario.

Most cars produce just as much horsepower on 87 octane as the do on 92.

Hybrids are a fad.

Shocks and struts. There are **** and there are great ones. If you pay 50 bucks for a struts do yourself a favor and just leave the worn out ones on your car.

Make sure you are not getting charged for combined labor. Say your doing a coolant flush. Part of what they charge you is to take the radiator hoses off the radiator. So make sure if you decide to do radiator hoses they don't charge you full labor to put the hoses on.

Best of all. This is for most men. Be nice and swallow your pride. If you come into my shop acting like you know all the answers and start telling me how I should do my job. I charge you more. You won't know it but I will.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #105
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You left out the fact that right now most likely one of your teachers banging a student. Notice you didn't mention anything about teachers? Are they that easy to manage?
Yes we are As long as you get out of the way and let us do our job.
ElwayMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #106
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post

Hybrids are a fad.

Shocks and struts. There are **** and there are great ones. If you pay 50 bucks for a struts do yourself a favor and just leave the worn out ones on your car.

Make sure you are not getting charged for combined labor. Say your doing a coolant flush. Part of what they charge you is to take the radiator hoses off the radiator. So make sure if you decide to do radiator hoses they don't charge you full labor to put the hoses on.

Best of all. This is for most men. Be nice and swallow your pride. If you come into my shop acting like you know all the answers and start telling me how I should do my job. I charge you more. You won't know it but I will.
Were you the guy looking to open a auto shop in the northern Colorado area awhile ago? Someone brought it up about a year ago and I was just curious how it went/was going.

Also - really think Hybrids are a fad? I just heard that their sales were up from last year and at their highest level ever. I don't really have any skin in the game, but it seems like high gas prices will keep hybrids around for awhile.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #107
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Were you the guy looking to open a auto shop in the northern Colorado area awhile ago? Someone brought it up about a year ago and I was just curious how it went/was going.

Also - really think Hybrids are a fad? I just heard that their sales were up from last year and at their highest level ever. I don't really have any skin in the game, but it seems like high gas prices will keep hybrids around for awhile.
Yep I'm that guy. I'm hoping to get over there this fall. Still doing paper work. Man when you get two attorneys going on something Anyways Hybrids are a fad. Hydrogen will be the way of the future. As of now the they VW TDI gets up to 60 MPG and Zero emissions on BIO. Hybrids 35 to 45 still pollute expensive to work on. They wont cut you out in some crashes because of electrocution. You also have all the waste from the batteries.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #108
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Hybrids are a fad.

My Dad worked as auto-mechanic to get through college. He still does some of our little things "oil changes, etc." He said the higher octane fuel is one of the biggest ripoffs going and 98% of the changes people supposedly notice are in their heads.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #109
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Student loan debt is supposedly the next "bubble" ... Personally I think 4 year liberal arts degrees will soon be a thing of the past. Unless you're set on a career that mands credentials, maybe think about adopting a flexible train-as-needed career choice. In the 90s, IT guys spent 6 weeks training for $50-60k jobs.
This. Unless you want to stay in academia, college is getting less relevant.

I agree about the 4 year liberal arts thing. Go to college if you want to do something that requires a degree: accountant, lawyer, doctor, MBA etc... otherwise, it's not so important.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #110
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
My Dad worked as auto-mechanic to get through college. He still does some of our little things "oil changes, etc." He said the higher octane fuel is one of the biggest ripoffs going and 98% of the changes people supposedly notice are in their heads.
I use 91 in my passat because it is a turbo-charged engine. Most cars dont need the higher octane fuel... it all depends on the temperature the engine burns the gas at.

My uncle is an auto engineer and he'll tell you the right kind of fuel. Ninety percent of the time, 85 is fine... but some engines require the higher octane.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #111
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Look for opportunities, not obstacles.

Look at the long term gains vs. the short term wins

Don't Fish for Whales.

Don't confuse results with action/motion.

Kill your biggest time waster.

Find someone/where you can work WITH. If they do everything they can to enable your vision & success - make sure you reward the opportunity with results.

Have a plan - but flexibility & adaptability are vital.

Don't forget to plan time for you.

Patience & Observation: You need them.

You have to start RIGHT NOW.

If you change careers: Immerse yourself in the culture, industry, etc. Absorb as much as possible. Practice/Recite/Prepare.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #112
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Hybrids are a fad.

BK44 Baby!!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #113
Meck77

Real Estate/Investing- Believe nothing what you hear and only half of what you see.
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #114
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
Most teachers do there job.
I may use this later.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #115
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Advice for engineers from an engineer's perspective(Digital/IC design):
- If you properly document your designs, you won't end up maintaining them forever. You'll be able to hand them off to someone else and do something new and cooler.
- Don't be afraid to tackle projects that are outside your specialty. You will become a better engineer, and more employable.

Advice for engineers from a Manager's perspective:
- Try and solve your own problems before coming to me to solve them for you.
- If you want me to make a decision, think about it and recommend an answer for me. I may not agree, but I know you have thought about it, and eventually you'll get good enough at it to have my job.
- If there is a really difficult ****ty assignment to be done, volunteer for it, and then kick its ass. I will remember.
- If you are not happy with your job, let me know why before you decide to look for another job. I might be able to fix it for you.

Engineering Management:
- Don't be afraid to hire people who are smarter or better engineers than you. The success of your group is what get's you noticed.
- It's much much easier to make an effort to keep a good employee than it is to find a new one.
- Little things matter to your employees. A new monitor, a one day training seminar, or a new tool can make a huge difference in your employee's morale, and it costs the company practically nothing in comparison to the extra work happy employees will do.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #116
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Advice for engineers from an engineer's perspective(Digital/IC design):
- If you properly document your designs, you won't end up maintaining them forever. You'll be able to hand them off to someone else and do something new and cooler.
- Don't be afraid to tackle projects that are outside your specialty. You will become a better engineer, and more employable.

Advice for engineers from a Manager's perspective:
- Try and solve your own problems before coming to me to solve them for you.
- If you want me to make a decision, think about it and recommend an answer for me. I may not agree, but I know you have thought about it, and eventually you'll get good enough at it to have my job.
- If there is a really difficult ****ty assignment to be done, volunteer for it, and then kick its ass. I will remember.
- If you are not happy with your job, let me know why before you decide to look for another job. I might be able to fix it for you.

Engineering Management:
- Don't be afraid to hire people who are smarter or better engineers than you. The success of your group is what get's you noticed.
- It's much much easier to make an effort to keep a good employee than it is to find a new one.
- Little things matter to your employees. A new monitor, a one day training seminar, or a new tool can make a huge difference in your employee's morale, and it costs the company practically nothing in comparison to the extra work happy employees will do.
I think I'm gonna forward this thread to my boss.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #117
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Semi-retired: Don't answer the phone or the door. Ever.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #118
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
BK44 Baby!!
Still wasted money. Look at it like this. It all comes down to size. Size really does matter.

So just for fun lets say your fuel filter, filters dirt down to the size of a golf ball. The screen that is supposed to get clogged on your injector is the size of a basket ball. The gas goes threw the fuel filter on the way to the injectors. You do the math.

We learned in a class that 1 in every 10,000 cars really needs an injector service. If the car does need a injector service it's because a part has failed or someone has removed the fuel filter.

Sorry but your bk44 is still just a waste of money.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 04-06-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #119
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
I don't think it's common. It's probably a low percentage, but anyhow I've never had to tackle that issue. Most teachers do there job, some are bad. Same as any job that involves managing people.
you better read this. Maybe the reason you don't think its an issue is because you aren't thinking it's an issue. 1 in 10 dude.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...r-sex/2118065/
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote