The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #1126
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Heir to the Empire (Star Wars The Trawn Trillogy)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars

Well...... It would have been a lot better if I read it in 1991 when it was written. Episodes 1-3 contradict some of the events in the book. Dark Jedi instead of the Sith ect. It was also pretty cheesy but I guess that was to be expected. I will probably read the other 2 now that I am invested but really this is not a great book.

Last edited by Drunk Monkey; 04-04-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #1127
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough

First and only book I've read by Mr. McCullough. When finished, I immediately bought the rest of his books.

That canal was a b****!
Attached Images

Broncomutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #1128
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
At the age of 10, I got a copy of the novelization of the movie Alien. Ironically, my parents wouldn't let me watch the movie, but had no problems with me reading it, so I read the movie years before I ever watched it.

The novelization is pretty much a prose version of the screenplay written by Alan Dean Foster (Alien (1979) ISBN 0-446-82977-3). The screenwriter for the movie was Dan O'Bannon. It is just shy of 200 pages long. There are only 2 differences I can remember. The first is a conversation between the female crew members. In the book, Ripley asks Lambert if she's ever slept with Ash, hinting at a fair degree of promiscuity among the crew members.

The second I include because it's possibly the most chilling part of the book, but was never featured in Ridley Scott's epic movie.

Ripley still hadn't moved. Faint shrieks reached her over the 'com. The screams were Lambert's and they faded with merciful speed. Then it was quiet again.

She spoke toward the pickup. "Parker...Lambert?"

She waited for a response, expecting none. Her expectations were fulfilled. The import of the continuing silence took only a moment to settle in.
She was alone. There were probably three living things left on the ship: the alien, Jones, and herself. But she had to be sure.

It meant leaving Jones behind. She didn't want to, but the cat had heard the screams and was meowing frantically. He was making too much noise!

She reached B deck unopposed, her flamethrower held tightly in both hands. The food locker lay just ahead. There was an outside chance the alien had left someone behind, being unable to manuever itself and two bodies through the narrow ducts. A chance that someone might still be alive.

She peered around the jamb of the locker entrance. What remained showed her how the alien had succeeded in squeezing both victims into the airshaft. Then she was running, running. Blindly, a little madly, neither thinking or caring. Walls reached out to stun her and slow her down, but nothing halted her crazed flight. She ran until her lungs hurt. They reminded her of Kane and the creature that had matured inside him, next to his lungs. That in turn reminded her of the alien.

All that thinking brought her back to her senses. Gulping for breath, she slowed and took stock of her surroundings. She'd run the length of the ship. Now she found herself standing alone in the middle of the engine room.

She heard something and stopped breathing. It was repeated, and she let out a cautious sigh. The sound was familiar, the sound was human. It was the sound of weeping.

Still cradling the flamethrower, she walked slowly around the room until the source of the noise lay directly below her. She found she was standing on a companionway cover, a round metal disc. Keeping half her attention on the well-lit chamber surrounding her, she knelt and removed the disc. A ladder descended into the near darkness.

She felt her way down the ladder until she reached solid footing. Then she activated her light bar. She was in a small maintenance chamber. The light picked out plastic crates, rarely used tools. It also fell on bones with shreds of flesh still attached. Her skin crawled as the light moved over fragments of clothing, dried blood, a ruined boot. Bizarre extrusions lined the wall.

A huge cocoon hung from the ceiling, off to her right. It looked like an enclosed, translucent hammock, woven from fine white silky material. It twitched.

Her finger tense on the trigger of the flamethrower, she walked nearer. The beam from her lightbar made the cocoon slightly transparent. There was a body inside...Dallas!

Quite unexpectadly the eyes opened and focused on Ripley. Lips parted, moved to form words. She moved closer, simultaneously fascinated and repelled.

"Kill me," the whisperer pleaded with her.

"What...what did it do to you?"

Dallas tried to speak again, failed. His head turned a little to the right. Ripley swung her light, turned it upward slightly. A second cocoon hung there, different in texture and color from the first. It was smaller and darker, the silk having formed a hard, shining shell. It looked, although Ripley couldn't know it, like the broken, empty urn on the derelict ship.

"That was Brett." Her light turned back to focus on the speaker again.

"I'll get you out of here." She was crying. "We'll crank up the autodoc, get you..."

She broke off, unable to talk. She was remembering Ash's analogy of the spider, the wasp. The live young feeding on the paralyzed body of the spider, growing, the spider aware of what was happening but...

Somehow she managed to shut off that horrid line of thought. Madness lay that way. "What can I do?" she sobbed.

The same agonized whisper. "Kill me."

She stared at him. Mercifully, his eyes had closed. But his lips were trembling, as if he were readying a scream. She didn't think she could stand to hear that scream.

The nozzle of the flamethrower rose and she convulsively depressed the trigger. A molten blast enveloped the cocoon and the thing that had been Dallas. It and he burned without a sound. Then she swung the fire around the lair. The entire compartment burst into flames. She was already scrambling back up the ladder, heat licking at her legs.
I too read the book Alien and yes, this scene is in the movie, they just edited out of the final movie release. However, you can get the DVD with the expanded version and this scene is in it.

The reason Ridley Scott deleted the scene was because of the tension of Ripley being completely alone, running through the big ship. Scott didn't want that tension broken with this scene so he cut it out of the final release. Makes sense to me because the tension of Ripley being completely alone, trying to make her way to the shuttle and being restricted by the time she has before the ship explodes is all very intense.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #1129
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Also, a little bit of trivia: The original title of the movie was not Alien, but Space Truckers. The crew of the ship were not exactly the best of the best, but more like your average freight hauler. You can see this in the movie as some of the characters are sorta redneck types. However, I think it was after they settled on HR Geiger's creepy monster and put the entire set together, along with the actors and script that they realized this title would never work and they changed it to Alien
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #1130
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I recently read Gillian Flynn's first two novels, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. I am currently reading her third novel, Gone Girl, which is currently #3 on the NYT Best Sellers list and has been on the list for 42 weeks. I recommend all three.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #1131
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I too read the book Alien and yes, this scene is in the movie, they just edited out of the final movie release. However, you can get the DVD with the expanded version and this scene is in it.

The reason Ridley Scott deleted the scene was because of the tension of Ripley being completely alone, running through the big ship. Scott didn't want that tension broken with this scene so he cut it out of the final release. Makes sense to me because the tension of Ripley being completely alone, trying to make her way to the shuttle and being restricted by the time she has before the ship explodes is all very intense.
I was into Alan Dean Foster at the time too, he did a bunch of Star Trek books and a ton of other movie books like Outland, Black Hole, clash of the Titans etc... I still have all my paperbacks of the big blockbuster Sci-fi movies of the 70's and early 80's. I can't part with them for some reason.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #1132
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I was into Alan Dean Foster at the time too, he did a bunch of Star Trek books and a ton of other movie books like Outland, Black Hole, clash of the Titans etc... I still have all my paperbacks of the big blockbuster Sci-fi movies of the 70's and early 80's. I can't part with them for some reason.
I'd like to read the Black Hole book, I like that movie as a kid.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #1133
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Heir to the Empire (Star Wars The Trawn Trillogy)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars

Well...... It would have been a lot better if I read it in 1991 when it was written. Episodes 1-3 contradict some of the events in the book. Dark Jedi instead of the Sith ect. It was also pretty cheesy but I guess that was to be expected. I will probably read the other 2 now that I am invested but really this is not a great book.
Lucas would allow authors to make money, based on his vision. It didn't matter, when it came to the movies. The Expanded Universe was generally ignored, and Disney has hinted that the next Star Wars movie will ALSO ignore the Star Wars "expanded universe". Many of the books are nice reads, though...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1134
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'd like to read the Black Hole book, I like that movie as a kid.
I still love that movie, even if the end is lame. We had just moved to Florida when it came out and I was about 12 or 13 and since there were no kids in our neighborhood my mom would let me and my 10 year old sister ride our bikes a couple miles to a small mall that had a theater. My sister and I watched that movie a bunch of times.

I don't remember the book being as memorable as 2001, Blade Runner (though that is classic Sci-Fi at it's best), Alien, or even Outland, it is pretty thin. Maybe I will crack it open again and give it a read, soccer practice has started up and I have time to read.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #1135
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I have been reading some old Raymond Chandler and liking it so I thought about reading some newer mystery writers. I read Warren Zevon's Bio called "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" and it said he was good friends with Carl Hiaasen so I thought I would give him a try.

Anyone have any thoughts on which Carl Hiaasen book to try 1st? Don't try to slip in one of his kid books either as I am wise to that scam.

I have been rereading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Papa and enjoying even more the 3rd or 4th time through. I also picked up "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian and "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler at a great little used book store on vacation in South Haven Michigan.

We have a lady who throws book sales a couple times a year out of her garage and she said she had some Carl Hiaasen so I wanted to know which ones to start with. She also said if I liked Hiaasen to try Tim Dorsey so I would welcome any thoughts on his books as well.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #1136
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

A horse named Omaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough

First and only book I've read by Mr. McCullough. When finished, I immediately bought the rest of his books.

That canal was a b****!
You get to his book "1776" yet? I found it to be a great read!
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #1137
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Reading "Hell Riders" by Terry Brighton. It's the true story of the charge of the light brigade during the Crimean War. I read a lot of war history, and I can't remember having the reactions I get reading this book. What transpired was just insane...getting raked by cannons from both sides while charging head first towards another battery of cannons. And they were still using sabers/lances during those times, so there's plenty of gore. There are many first hand accounts as well, and I find it almost amusing how the soldiers would say "Oh so and so, that poor fellow, he was blown apart by a cannon ball. Poor fellow." Poor fellow, indeed.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #1138
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Ran through a couple. A collection of Greek mythology, another collection of Celtic mythology and picked up Welcome to Hell and Eye of God on my kindle.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #1139
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

jitterbug perfume - tom robbins
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #1140
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
jitterbug perfume - tom robbins
I love Robbins, have read them all. My fav is either Jitterbug, Still Life, or Fierce Invalids. Half Asleep is really good too...**** it, they are all my favs.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #1141
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you like Sci-Fi and or War novels this book is a must read. I promise.

Two words: Time Dilation
Read it. Now.

Last edited by myMind; 07-17-2013 at 10:53 AM..
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #1142
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
I love Robbins, have read them all. My fav is either Jitterbug, Still Life, or Fierce Invalids. Half Asleep is really good too...**** it, they are all my favs.
I didn't like the ending of 'Jitterbug'. I felt that it was just kinda slapped together.

I still enjoyed the book, but after this great story, i felt like he was like "****, i need to close this book out".

Pan does really smell that way though.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #1143
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Freedom Under Lincoln: Federal Power and Personal Liberty Under the Strain of Civil War by Dean Sprague

Best book I've read in a year. Barack said he wanted to be the new Lincoln--he's well on his way. Eye opening.

Last edited by Smiling Assassin27; 07-17-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #1144
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80smith View Post
You get to his book "1776" yet? I found it to be a great read!
No I haven't yet, I'm kind of working my way back through history and I'm at the Napoleonic Wars now, so that might be next. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I also picked up "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian
I read Master and Commander about 3 months ago. Loved it but between the 19th century dialog, politics, music and nautical terms it was fun but it was work too.

I had to read it with an atlas, list of nautical terms and quick access to wikipedia. Felt like I learned alot though and the plot is excellent.
Broncomutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1145
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Confessions of a mafia killer ( Richard Kuklinski ) An amazing book. He killed hundreds of people in horrible ways. Video taping them being eaten by rats, burning the flesh down to the bones one toe at a time with road flairs, shoving credit cards up people asses and much much more.....

I know it sounds horrible but what amazes me was the fact that he shows zero remorse. I mean nothing. It was just another day at the job for him.

Anyways I'm not a big reader, but I could not put this book down.

Must read and a true story.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #1146
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
If you like Sci-Fi and or War novels this book is a must read. I promise.

Two words: Time Dilation
Read it. Now.

I read that years ago. Good book.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #1147
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I bought the hard copy a couple of years ago due to the awesome cover art, but I just started reading it after hearing about the TV series version airing on CBS. As usual with King, it could have used an editor, but it's an interesting read with well-rounded (if at times a bit hokey) characters. I'm looking forward to catching up on the series, which from what I've read is quite a bit different from the book. A major part of the plot deals with a meth-dealing town leader, which I've heard they've changed for the series due to similarities with Breaking Bad. Can anyone confirm this?
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #1148
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Great-North-Ro.../dp/034552666X

I love the way Hamilton writes a space opera. Good book, not his best but a good book.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #1149
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Confessions of a mafia killer ( Richard Kuklinski ) An amazing book. He killed hundreds of people in horrible ways. Video taping them being eaten by rats, burning the flesh down to the bones one toe at a time with road flairs, shoving credit cards up people asses and much much more.....

I know it sounds horrible but what amazes me was the fact that he shows zero remorse. I mean nothing. It was just another day at the job for him.

Anyways I'm not a big reader, but I could not put this book down.

Must read and a true story.
This is one of my friends favorite books, he says he has read it a couple times.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #1150
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I am sure this is somewhere on this list, but reading Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Somehow missed this book on one of the all time best stories with the 300 Spartans guarding the "Hot Gates" from Xerxes invading army of a million plus troops.

Really good novelization of one of my favorite stories in history....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote