The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #1126
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I recently read Gillian Flynn's first two novels, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. I am currently reading her third novel, Gone Girl, which is currently #3 on the NYT Best Sellers list and has been on the list for 42 weeks. I recommend all three.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #1127
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I too read the book Alien and yes, this scene is in the movie, they just edited out of the final movie release. However, you can get the DVD with the expanded version and this scene is in it.

The reason Ridley Scott deleted the scene was because of the tension of Ripley being completely alone, running through the big ship. Scott didn't want that tension broken with this scene so he cut it out of the final release. Makes sense to me because the tension of Ripley being completely alone, trying to make her way to the shuttle and being restricted by the time she has before the ship explodes is all very intense.
I was into Alan Dean Foster at the time too, he did a bunch of Star Trek books and a ton of other movie books like Outland, Black Hole, clash of the Titans etc... I still have all my paperbacks of the big blockbuster Sci-fi movies of the 70's and early 80's. I can't part with them for some reason.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #1128
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I was into Alan Dean Foster at the time too, he did a bunch of Star Trek books and a ton of other movie books like Outland, Black Hole, clash of the Titans etc... I still have all my paperbacks of the big blockbuster Sci-fi movies of the 70's and early 80's. I can't part with them for some reason.
I'd like to read the Black Hole book, I like that movie as a kid.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #1129
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Heir to the Empire (Star Wars The Trawn Trillogy)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars

Well...... It would have been a lot better if I read it in 1991 when it was written. Episodes 1-3 contradict some of the events in the book. Dark Jedi instead of the Sith ect. It was also pretty cheesy but I guess that was to be expected. I will probably read the other 2 now that I am invested but really this is not a great book.
Lucas would allow authors to make money, based on his vision. It didn't matter, when it came to the movies. The Expanded Universe was generally ignored, and Disney has hinted that the next Star Wars movie will ALSO ignore the Star Wars "expanded universe". Many of the books are nice reads, though...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1130
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'd like to read the Black Hole book, I like that movie as a kid.
I still love that movie, even if the end is lame. We had just moved to Florida when it came out and I was about 12 or 13 and since there were no kids in our neighborhood my mom would let me and my 10 year old sister ride our bikes a couple miles to a small mall that had a theater. My sister and I watched that movie a bunch of times.

I don't remember the book being as memorable as 2001, Blade Runner (though that is classic Sci-Fi at it's best), Alien, or even Outland, it is pretty thin. Maybe I will crack it open again and give it a read, soccer practice has started up and I have time to read.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #1131
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

I have been reading some old Raymond Chandler and liking it so I thought about reading some newer mystery writers. I read Warren Zevon's Bio called "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" and it said he was good friends with Carl Hiaasen so I thought I would give him a try.

Anyone have any thoughts on which Carl Hiaasen book to try 1st? Don't try to slip in one of his kid books either as I am wise to that scam.

I have been rereading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Papa and enjoying even more the 3rd or 4th time through. I also picked up "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian and "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler at a great little used book store on vacation in South Haven Michigan.

We have a lady who throws book sales a couple times a year out of her garage and she said she had some Carl Hiaasen so I wanted to know which ones to start with. She also said if I liked Hiaasen to try Tim Dorsey so I would welcome any thoughts on his books as well.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #1132
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

A horse named Omaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough

First and only book I've read by Mr. McCullough. When finished, I immediately bought the rest of his books.

That canal was a b****!
You get to his book "1776" yet? I found it to be a great read!
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #1133
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Reading "Hell Riders" by Terry Brighton. It's the true story of the charge of the light brigade during the Crimean War. I read a lot of war history, and I can't remember having the reactions I get reading this book. What transpired was just insane...getting raked by cannons from both sides while charging head first towards another battery of cannons. And they were still using sabers/lances during those times, so there's plenty of gore. There are many first hand accounts as well, and I find it almost amusing how the soldiers would say "Oh so and so, that poor fellow, he was blown apart by a cannon ball. Poor fellow." Poor fellow, indeed.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #1134
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Ran through a couple. A collection of Greek mythology, another collection of Celtic mythology and picked up Welcome to Hell and Eye of God on my kindle.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #1135
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

jitterbug perfume - tom robbins
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #1136
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
jitterbug perfume - tom robbins
I love Robbins, have read them all. My fav is either Jitterbug, Still Life, or Fierce Invalids. Half Asleep is really good too...**** it, they are all my favs.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #1137
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you like Sci-Fi and or War novels this book is a must read. I promise.

Two words: Time Dilation
Read it. Now.

Last edited by myMind; 07-17-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #1138
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
I love Robbins, have read them all. My fav is either Jitterbug, Still Life, or Fierce Invalids. Half Asleep is really good too...**** it, they are all my favs.
I didn't like the ending of 'Jitterbug'. I felt that it was just kinda slapped together.

I still enjoyed the book, but after this great story, i felt like he was like "****, i need to close this book out".

Pan does really smell that way though.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #1139
Smiling Assassin27
Concerned Citizen

Blimey me hearties

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pirate Giraffe

Freedom Under Lincoln: Federal Power and Personal Liberty Under the Strain of Civil War by Dean Sprague

Best book I've read in a year. Barack said he wanted to be the new Lincoln--he's well on his way. Eye opening.

Last edited by Smiling Assassin27; 07-17-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #1140
Broncomutt
USA

Defending Super Bowl Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80smith View Post
You get to his book "1776" yet? I found it to be a great read!
No I haven't yet, I'm kind of working my way back through history and I'm at the Napoleonic Wars now, so that might be next. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I also picked up "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian
I read Master and Commander about 3 months ago. Loved it but between the 19th century dialog, politics, music and nautical terms it was fun but it was work too.

I had to read it with an atlas, list of nautical terms and quick access to wikipedia. Felt like I learned alot though and the plot is excellent.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1141
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Confessions of a mafia killer ( Richard Kuklinski ) An amazing book. He killed hundreds of people in horrible ways. Video taping them being eaten by rats, burning the flesh down to the bones one toe at a time with road flairs, shoving credit cards up people asses and much much more.....

I know it sounds horrible but what amazes me was the fact that he shows zero remorse. I mean nothing. It was just another day at the job for him.

Anyways I'm not a big reader, but I could not put this book down.

Must read and a true story.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #1142
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
If you like Sci-Fi and or War novels this book is a must read. I promise.

Two words: Time Dilation
Read it. Now.

I read that years ago. Good book.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #1143
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I bought the hard copy a couple of years ago due to the awesome cover art, but I just started reading it after hearing about the TV series version airing on CBS. As usual with King, it could have used an editor, but it's an interesting read with well-rounded (if at times a bit hokey) characters. I'm looking forward to catching up on the series, which from what I've read is quite a bit different from the book. A major part of the plot deals with a meth-dealing town leader, which I've heard they've changed for the series due to similarities with Breaking Bad. Can anyone confirm this?
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #1144
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Great-North-Ro.../dp/034552666X

I love the way Hamilton writes a space opera. Good book, not his best but a good book.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #1145
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Confessions of a mafia killer ( Richard Kuklinski ) An amazing book. He killed hundreds of people in horrible ways. Video taping them being eaten by rats, burning the flesh down to the bones one toe at a time with road flairs, shoving credit cards up people asses and much much more.....

I know it sounds horrible but what amazes me was the fact that he shows zero remorse. I mean nothing. It was just another day at the job for him.

Anyways I'm not a big reader, but I could not put this book down.

Must read and a true story.
This is one of my friends favorite books, he says he has read it a couple times.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #1146
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

I am sure this is somewhere on this list, but reading Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Somehow missed this book on one of the all time best stories with the 300 Spartans guarding the "Hot Gates" from Xerxes invading army of a million plus troops.

Really good novelization of one of my favorite stories in history....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #1147
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post

I bought the hard copy a couple of years ago due to the awesome cover art, but I just started reading it after hearing about the TV series version airing on CBS. As usual with King, it could have used an editor, but it's an interesting read with well-rounded (if at times a bit hokey) characters. I'm looking forward to catching up on the series, which from what I've read is quite a bit different from the book. A major part of the plot deals with a meth-dealing town leader, which I've heard they've changed for the series due to similarities with Breaking Bad. Can anyone confirm this?
No, there still seems to be a meth-dealing town leader (they haven't come out and said it, yet - although I haven't seen the most recent episode).

The series is not great. But I am a Stephen King groupie. I am almost never satisfied with film adaptations of his writing.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1148
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Not to be missed, MHG

The Failure of Laissez Faire Capitalism [Paperback]

Paul Craig Roberts (Author)

Book Description
Publication Date: June 1, 2013
Former Wall Street Journal editor, and Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury Paul Craig Roberts book is a major challenge both to economic theory and to media explanations of the ongoing 21st century economic crisis. The one percent have pulled off an economic and political revolution. By offshoring manufacturing and professional service jobs, US corporations destroyed the growth of consumer income, the basis of the US economy, leaving the bulk of the population mired in debt. Deregulation was used to concentrate income and wealth in fewer hands and financial firms in corporations "too big to fail,” removing financial corporations from market discipline and forcing taxpayers in the US and Europe to cover bankster losses. Environmental destruction has accelerated as economists refuse to count the exhaustion of nature's resources as a cost and as corporations impose the cost of their activities on the environment and on third parties who do not share in the profits. This is the book to read for those who want to understand the mistakes that are bringing the West to its knees.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REVIEW

Collapse Overtakes The West July 1, 2013
By Johannes Maruschzik

The Failure Of Laissez Faire Capitalism And Economic Dissolution Of The West by Dr. Paul Craig Roberts - formerly Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury for Economic Policy - is a fundamentally important work about the dramatic changes that are taking place in the US and world economies. For this reason, I translated the book into German in the spring of 2012 for its publication under the title "Wirtschaft am Abgrund" by Weltbuch Verlag (Dresden) in July 2012. Economic and political developments during the past year have given the book even greater significance.

Roberts describes the social, political, and economic dispossession that is occurring throughout the West. The citizens in the Western democracies are being forced into acceptance of the agenda of a small oligarchy of powerful private interests. The "free" media, "democratic" governments, and most economists serve the ruling private interests. Let's face it: Private power can be just as abusive as public power. The worst-case scenario is when both are working hand in hand, what, in fact, is happening in the Western democracies today.

Economic theory based on "empty world" economics cannot deal with the problems of a "full world" economy. A mistaken understanding of free trade has blinded the West to its economic erosion by jobs offshoring--labor arbitrage that substitutes lower paid foreign labor for the higher wages in developed countries, with the result that Western economies are deprived of employment opportunities, tax base, and real GDP growth.

Contrary to government claims and media reports, the U.S. economy is still in a recession. A real recovery is not in sight. The recovery exists only in the official measure of real GDP, which is deflated by an understated measure of inflation, and in the U.3 measure of the unemployment rate, which is declining because it does not count discouraged job seekers who have given up looking for a job. No other data series indicates an economic recovery. Neither real retail sales nor housing starts, consumer confidence, payroll employment, or average weekly earnings indicate economic recovery. Consumer real income in the US is stagnant or falling, and consumers are too indebted to be able to take on yet more debt with which to finance their spending. In the absence of growing consumer demand, an economy dependent on consumer demand cannot advance.

The ongoing debt monetization in the amount of one trillion U.S. dollars annually by the Federal Reserve threatens the dollar's role as world reserve currency. The real estate and derivative bubbles that produced the financial crisis have been replaced by bond, stock, and currency bubbles.

In Europe the "sovereign debt crisis" is being used to subvert democracy and the independence of the individual member countries that constitute the European Union. The common currency is being used to centralize the budget policies of the separate countries, thus stripping them of their sovereignty. Governments of heavily indebted members of the EU, such as Greece, are being forced to extract resources from their hard-pressed populations in order to ensure that the private banks that over lent to governments suffer no losses.

Formerly, the policy was for banks to write down sovereign debt that cannot be paid; today the policy is to extract the resources from the population by cutting wages, pensions, social services, and selling the country's public assets to private interests. To stabilize the situation, German income will be tapped to provide transfer payments to alleviate the suffering of the Greek population that is being looted for the sake of the profits of private banks.

Roberts makes it clear that we are experiencing a turning point in history as Western peoples are being enserfed.

The economies of the US, UK, and EU are in a process of dissolution. For a decade, Roberts has been warning against the fatal consequences of the erosion of goods producing industries in the United States. Offshoring - the relocation of production of goods for domestic markets to low-wage countries in order to profit from labor arbitrage between different wage levels in different countries - has already destroyed millions of middle class jobs in the United States. The ladders of upward mobility in the American "Opportunity Society" have been dismantled by "globalization."

The centralization of power in the US in the hands of an increasingly unaccountable executive branch is matched in the EU by the increasingly dirigistic policies of EU politicians.

Roberts warns the Germans not to terminate their sovereignty by agreeing to turn their governance over to a central government in Brussels. Instead, Germany should resign from the EU, re-establish the D-Mark, and enter an economic alliance with resource-rich Russia. Such a cooperation, in which the states would keep their economic sovereignty and separate currencies, would create an economic bloc consisting of Germany, Russia, Eastern and Central Europe and would eventually draw in Western Europe. This development would break up NATO, an organization whose purpose ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Today NATO functions as a military auxiliary to Washington's drive for hegemony, thus enabling the numerous wars and military operations that Washington has launched in the 21st century.

If you want to understand what really is happening, read this book. No clearer or more accurate account exists.
Attached Images

mhgaffney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #1149
Johnykbr

The World House by Guy Adams..."
In some rooms, forests grow. In others, animals and objects come to life. Elsewhere, secrets and treasures wait for the brave and foolhardy.
And at the very top of the house, a prisoner sits behind a locked door waiting for a key to turn. The day that happens, the world will end…"

I found it at a library book sale and I don't think I've read a book as original as this in ages.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #1150
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
But I am a Stephen King groupie. I am almost never satisfied with film adaptations of his writing.
Even The Mist? Sure Darabont took a lot of liberties, but that ending was one of the most emotionally jarring things I've ever watched.