The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #76
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post

"He's a high-energy guy," Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio said Saturday. "He's working. I think we all appreciate (him). He's got natural finish-on-the-quarterback ability. He has a way of being slippery when it's time to rush the quarterback, and we need some push inside from our tackles.
"I think he'll be able to get us some of that."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...cos/56582642/1
He has a way of being slippery when it's time to rush, he's referring to Wolfe playing inside on passing downs. Thought that was pretty straight forward..
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #77
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd bet that this is year marks the beginning of a transition to full time DT for Wolfe, with Malik Jackson taking over as the strongside DE.

Jackson impressed in pre-season action and before that through camp last season. The staff likely feels they've hit on something valuable there. At the same time whenever Del Rio talked about Wolfe as a DE the "for now" caveat was always attached, stating that he needed to add some size to be a full time DT.

I'd imagine that is the plan for this off-season. Get Wolfe to put on 10-15 pounds and over the course of the season prove he can maintain that weight while Jackson proves he's a legit starting LDE.

JDR rotates his DTs plenty to give Wolfe, Knighton, and Vick ample game time, plus Vickerson isn't exactly young. He's a one or two years top gap and his replacement needs to already be on the team (Unrein?).

Its a nice DL mix assuming that Ayers steps up in Doom's absence or the FO acquires a pass rusher to compliment him.
I think that may have been the original plan to play him at DT when he was first drafted as his plan on the long term curve. And it still may be the plan eventually.. But right now, he's our LDE on base downs. And Malik may rotate in or earn more PT, but Knighton and Vickerson are our starting DTs.

Why you and Hef don't like Wolfe at 5tech is mind boggling. Wolfe is a perfect 5tech DE.. I wouldn't want him anywhere else right now..
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #78
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Nice post.

As to the OP, I think you underestimating the need at CB. If the right guy(s) show up at Denver 's pick then they will go get corner that will have the ability to compete for starting spot.
I'm certainly not underestimating the need for a long term CB.. But who's job is the rookie taking, Bailey? DRC's? Harris? Those are probably your three starters.. Our Brass will give DRC every opportunity to be a starter. That doesn't mean don't take an early CB if a stud is there.. I'm talking about where there are positions a rookie might start..
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #79
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
He has a way of being slippery when it's time to rush, he's referring to Wolfe playing inside on passing downs. Thought that was pretty straight forward..
Yeah, totally straightforward about how he's going to play outside and come inside on passing downs, except, you know, actually mentioning anything about that at all.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #80
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think that may have been the original plan to play him at DT when he was first drafted as his plan on the long term curve. And it still may be the plan eventually.. But right now, he's our LDE on base downs. And Malik may rotate in or earn more PT, but Knighton and Vickerson are our starting DTs.

Why you and Hef don't like Wolfe at 5tech is mind boggling. Wolfe is a perfect 5tech DE.. I wouldn't want him anywhere else right now..
This is why, like I already told you:

Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #81
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Count me in for leaving Miller where he is. He has the option to line up all over the place. I also like him standing rather then in 3 point stance. I think it makes more sense to draft a DE who can rush the passer and just go with Ayers and Jackson + rookie at RDE. I don't like the idea of Miller taking on 300+ lb LT's all day. And yes, a few TE's have been converted to LT's but that's not that common. These LT's today move better then before but they're still all usually well over 300 lbs. That's fine if he's rushing up the field against them and they're back pedaling but when they fire out in the run game, his effectiveness won't be as good as a 280lb DE would be.

I do agree Rhodes would take Adams spot but they may just be waiting to see how Carter does. I think Moore is starting the other spot.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Dansby brought in. The MLB draft class is not that strong and what we have now doesn't thrill me. We'll see how the ex Cardinals player does though. He's going to be better then Mays and Brooking though.

I think we'll draft 2 RB's to be honest.

I can't see a rookie Center starting, not with all the things Manning does. That's an adjustment that would be alot for a rookie to deal with. Walton will start.

Don't think we will draft a TE either. We have some good ones and we'll be in a 3WR set most often with Welker now.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #82
Agamemnon

Quote:
Barkevious Mingo
Every time I see this guy's name I think of this:

Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #83
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I'm certainly not underestimating the need for a long term CB.. But who's job is the rookie taking, Bailey? DRC's? Harris? Those are probably your three starters.. Our Brass will give DRC every opportunity to be a starter. That doesn't mean don't take an early CB if a stud is there.. I'm talking about where there are positions a rookie might start..
While everyone is hoping that DRC is the starter and good player, last couple of years have shown he can struggle big time and his position on the depth chart can fall pretty fast if another player shows up.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #84
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
While everyone is hoping that DRC is the starter and good player, last couple of years have shown he can struggle big time and his position on the depth chart can fall pretty fast if another player shows up.
Couple that with the Broncos only extending another short term contract. Brilliant for us, but it doesn't really make it look like the position is "locked up." We signed Porter to a short term deal, and he was replaced during the season so I think that I would connsider CB a "wide open" position of need again for this year's draft.

It's all about value and the ability to start immediately in the first round of the draft. I think we can all identify a couple rookie CB's that we would rather see on the field than DRC.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #85
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

The elephant in the room is being replaced by Ayers.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #86
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

The OP is strange. A poor run-stopping, edge-rusher like Mingo wouldn't see the field in base Defense, and isn't a good enough pass-rusher to make an impact in Nickel Defense.

Trivia Question:

Name the only player to record a sack in the Broncos base defense (from the 3-tech or 5-tech position), in the last 2 years.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #87
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Trivia question. What is elways favorite pizza?

Elvis dumervil
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #88
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
You lose. Anybody else care to take a stab at it?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #89
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Trivia question. What is elways favorite pizza?

Elvis dumervil
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #90
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Here are a few hints:

1. Kevin Vickerson and Marcus Thomas had ZERO sacks from the 3-tech position in 2011.
2. Justin Bannan, and Mitch Unrein had ZERO sacks from the 3-tech position in 2012.
3. Derek Wolfe had ZERO sacks from the 5-tech position in 2012.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #91
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The OP is strange. A poor run-stopping, edge-rusher like Mingo wouldn't see the field in base Defense, and isn't a good enough pass-rusher to make an impact in Nickel Defense.

Trivia Question:

Name the only player to record a sack in the Broncos base defense (from the 3-tech or 5-tech position), in the last 2 years.
The OP is strange? Take your negative trash elsewhere Price. You don't even have basic reading comprehension too understand I am not talking about those players as every down players. Nobody would trust your player evaluation or opinion, as you flip flop players and ideas daily.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #92
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
The OP is strange? Take your negative trash elsewhere Price. You don't even have basic reading comprehension too understand I am not talking about those players as every down players. Nobody would trust your player evaluation or opinion, as you flip flop players and ideas daily.
Why on god's earth would you waste a 1st round draft pick on someone who isn't an every down player?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #93
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Why on god's earth would you waste a 1st round draft pick on someone who isn't an every down player?
this statement makes no sense which is on par with the vast majority of your posts.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #94
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Because if you read the post I spoke about moving Von to the right side on passing downs and drafting a SOLB with a Von like skill set. This allows you to be more creative with your pass rush and makes the offensive line think more.

And I named that I think there are only a few positions where a rookie would come in and start anyway. So what makes you think any pick will be a day 1 starter, three down player? And name that position!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #95
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Trivia Question:

McBean? Or would he not count as being in the base defense?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #96
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
This is pretty funny from a guy who'd already have us paying $6+ mil a year for Colts Superfriend Freeney if he had his way.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #97
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengopher1976 View Post
There has been some very good analysis over on IAOFM as to why the idea of moving Von to the other side would result in a net loss to the defensive (based on scheme, usage, etc.). Frankly, I don't know enough about the technicalities of football to know for myself if your suggestion is a good one, but I'm inclined to go with what I've read over there. Plus, that age-old adage about not fixing things that aren't broken comes to mind. At his current position and in his current role, Von Miller is one of the top 3 defenders in the entire game, and we want to mess with that? Nay! Draft a DE, let Ayers lead the way, and let's see what happens says I.
I have expressed this in a thread to BMore about moving Miller. No way do I like the move. When Miller creeps onto the line, it panics the OLine and play calling. That isn't going to happen if he is stationed as a DE. WOrse move for Simon Fletcher when they moved him to DL and sacks suffered. Keep Miller as is and find a player to fill the Doom void. One loss shouldn't mean missing another. I don't like having two question marks in the linebacking crew.

As for tight ends, I don't see any TE picked within the first 3 or 4 picks. I think we have 2 good TE players now and the others can be replaced...at a lower draft pick.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 04-04-2013 at 11:09 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #98
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Its not that I don't like Wolfe as a 5-tech DE type, I just think that Del Rio and Fox are trying to evolve their scheme and that will require the ability to generate more up the middle pass rush on demand. Knighton and Vickerson aren't going to do that, and hell, Vickerson is probably only a Bronco for another couple years at best anyhow.

Del Rio made multiple references to wanting Wolfe's pass rush game on the inside more often, but that Wolfe needs to grow into that kind of body. Mat'hir's comment about Baltimore's D with Boulware is a valid model, but it isn't 100% that and Del Rio wasn't even the DC there.

I think that instead of running two hogs with two 265 pound ends that Del Rio is now shooting for one hog, one versatile DT, a LDE with some size to run interference for Miller, and a good pass rusher at RDE.

With that we can seamlessly rotate between a 4-3 base, a Steelers style 3-4 (more like a 5-2), or go nickel with a 3-3 or 4-2, depending on down and distance with minimal personnel changes. That allows them to rotate personnel based on production and fatigue.

As for Knighton and Vickerson being the starters, sure, if the opening defensive play is out of 21 or 12 personnel. But if someone opens with 11 personnel or even an empty backfield do you really think we're going to keep both Knighton and Vickerson on the field because "they're the starters"?

I'm expecting Knighton to gobble up most of Bannan's snaps from last year and Vickerson will keep the same basic role as well, but I'm also expecting Wolfe to take a nice sized bite out of the total interior DL snaps pool, both because it's where his pass rush skills are most effective and because it opens the door for Malik Jackson to get on the field more and Jackson looks like a long term piece of the DL for Denver.

In the base defense to open the game Wolfe will likely still be at LDE, but the ratio of his snaps at DT v. LDE is likely going to move in favor of DT because there he offers something no one else on the team can - interior pass rush, when his benefits as a 5-tech running interference for Miller is likely a job that Jackson can do quite well himself.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #99
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
This is pretty funny from a guy who'd already have us paying $6+ mil a year for Colts Superfriend Freeney if he had his way.
This quote is pretty funny, because I did not ask for Freeney.. In fact I said I preferred Ayers and the draft.. Or in free agency Abraham, Phillips, Harrison, Idonije.. Can find the links probably if you need it to Timmy.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #100
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
This quote is pretty funny, because I did not ask for Freeney.. In fact I said I preferred Ayers and the draft.. Or in free agency Abraham, Phillips, Harrison, Idonije.. Can find the links probably if you need it to Timmy.
Quote:
If they got Okoye, you would think he and Ayers would be pass rushers from inside. And Denver had interest in Abraham.. As far as Freeney goes, he's not worth 19 million, so he may be cut. I'd offer him 19 million over 3 years and extend that contract. But they want a high draft pick.