The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #326
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Not only that he knocks Simon for being under sized and having short arms yet Simon is bigger and has longer arms then Doom.

So let's say Jarvis Jones is there at 28 does Denver draft him and have him replace Ayers on pass rushing downs? I mean going by college stats 13.5 sacks followed by 14.5 sacks. He should be a beast. Then you factor in how he draws comparison to Von Miller it should be a slam dunk of a pick.
If Jones fell to #28 I think he would at least come in on passing downs, if not replace Miller at SOLB.. Allowing Miller to play RDE.. Which is one of my ideas and your stealing my thunder before I release my offseason plan 2.0!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #327
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
John Simon is the perfect LEO DE for us. His pro day numbers put him in the top 10 in every category. 40 time 4.62, 34 inch vertical, 10'01 broad, 7.10 3 cone, and 4.42 20 yard shuttle.

He is a second round guy that would allow Denver to still go after a MLB in the 1st round.

Like Simon, Gholston was a guy who seemed to be at his best with one hand in the dirt while he was chasing down quarterbacks from his defensive end position. Both Simon and Gholston played Ohio State’s hybrid drop-end position, called the Leo or Viper, while they were in Columbus, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the right skill set to play outside linebacker at the next level.

http://theozone.net/football/2012/po...r.Bowl_LB.html
This is incorrect. Simon did not play the hybrid position like Gholston did. That was Nathan Williams. Simon played the opposite DE position and dominated it. He is a good run/pass defender…

He would be a TERRIBLE OLBer….but a good DE.

Simon is an athletic freak and productive player, but his real value is his intangibles. Urban Meyer has two jerseys hanging in his office…

Tim Tebow's and John Simon's.

Last edited by StugotsIII; 04-02-2013 at 04:21 PM..
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #328
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I think the Broncos are interested in Sio (forgot last name) as a potential Doom replacement? He's an OLB, he's not real big per say, but they probably like his upside to get around the corner on a speed rush.

I like Corey Lemonier as an edge rusher, from what I've seen of him he's got the speed and power to be effective, but I'm no scout and this is why Elway makes the big money and I get to throw tantrums when the draft doesn't go my way...
this is what Sio Moore does to people who forget his name
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #329
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Not only that he knocks Simon for being under sized and having short arms yet Simon is bigger and has longer arms then Doom.

So let's say Jarvis Jones is there at 28 does Denver draft him and have him replace Ayers on pass rushing downs? I mean going by college stats 13.5 sacks followed by 14.5 sacks. He should be a beast. Then you factor in how he draws comparison to Von Miller it should be a slam dunk of a pick.
if he is there at #28 you run, don't walk, don't trip, don't take a detour, you run to the podium and draft him with the quickness. same with D Moore and Lacy if they're there. each would be a potential BPA and fill a key need.
i wanna see us use two early round picks on DL.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #330
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
This is incorrect. Simon did not play the hybrid position like Gholston did. That was Nathan Williams. Simon played the opposite DE position and dominated it. He is a good run/pass defender…

He would be a TERRIBLE OLBer….but a good DE.

Simon is an athletic freak and productive player, but his real value is his intangibles. Urban Meyer has two jerseys hanging in his office…

Tim Tebow's and John Simon's.
His intentions would be for Simon to play RDE not LBer.. I really like Simon, he's a lunch pail blue collar kind of guy who I really like. And I think Elway, Fox, and JDR covet those type of players as well!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #331
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
if he is there at #28 you run, don't walk, don't trip, don't take a detour, you run to the podium and draft him with the quickness. same with D Moore and Lacy if they're there. each would be a potential BPA and fill a key need.
i wanna see us use two early round picks on DL.
Even with the neck thing and poor 40 time?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #332
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
His intentions would be for Simon to play RDE not LBer.. I really like Simon, he's a lunch pail blue collar kind of guy who I really like. And I think Elway, Fox, and JDR covet those type of players as well!
I like Simon too. I think he shows up on tape and, even if he isn't piling up a ton of sacks, he defintely makes his presence felt and re-directs some throws...or makes the QB move in the pocket when he'd rather not. He's got a few good pass rushing moves and is relentless. However, i can see some of the top notch tackles in the league absolutely abusing him, but i think he'll hold his own in general.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #333
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Where do you propose pass rushers come from if not in college? They must grow on trees.. You must agree that losing Doom cost us a chance at a Super Bowl.
Um...

I listed a lot of things I didn't like about Simon. Not a single one was "he is from college."

Therefore, I have no idea what you are talking about.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #334
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Anyone consider we are not getting a "Doom replacement"

We might be going a completely different direction at DE.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #335
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Those are both negatives for Doom. You may remember that he was drafted in the 4th round.

Doom, unlike Simon, had stellar production.

As for Jones, you absolutely draft him if he falls to #28.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #336
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win View Post

Ding, ding, ding.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #337
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Um...

I listed a lot of things I didn't like about Simon. Not a single one was "he is from college."

Therefore, I have no idea what you are talking about.
I'm referring to this mild obsession you have with the notion that Doom and his production cannot be replaced. What would it take for you to be happy with in a replacement? 12 sacks and 7 FFs? Just pure stats?

What about a player like Simon who you think is a smurf for whatever reason producing 8 sacks, 4 FFs, 7 Pass Deflections, 9 TFL? Something balanced like that?

What if I suggested we draft a SOLB with a similar skill set to Von, but better in coverage and a solid pass rusher in his own right, while moving Von to RDE?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #338
Bmore Manning

Quote:

Yeah Von Miller! And a new SOLB with a Von Miller type skill set.. Totally blows your mind!!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #339
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

Yes I have.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #340
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Yeah Von Miller! And a new SOLB with a Von Miller type skill set.. Totally blows your mind!!
People would riot.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #341
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

Like a player who's going to produce nothing? That's a completely different direction.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #342
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/4...4-3-alignments
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #343
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Totally agree...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #344
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
I'm referring to this mild obsession you have with the notion that Doom and his production cannot be replaced. What would it take for you to be happy with in a replacement? 12 sacks and 7 FFs? Just pure stats?

What about a player like Simon who you think is a smurf for whatever reason producing 8 sacks, 4 FFs, 7 Pass Deflections, 9 TFL? Something balanced like that?

What if I suggested we draft a SOLB with a similar skill set to Von, but better in coverage and a solid pass rusher in his own right, while moving Von to RDE?
Love this suggestion. Its really hard to replace a Doom through the draft. Better to have a guy that you know can rush the passer and draft a guy that has the tools to contribute later.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #345
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Where do you propose pass rushers come from if not in college? They must grow on trees.. You must agree that losing Doom cost us a chance at a Super Bowl.
***cough*** ***cough***

hhh, with Doom, we did not win a playoff game last year, How in the wide world of sports do you make such a statement
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #346
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I don't care about stats in the end, I just don't think this is a top 5 defense without the pressure that Doom provides. Pressure is what this defense needs, and sacks are just the easiest way to measure that.

If Simon gets 8 sacks, 4 FF, 7 PD, 9 TFL, he would certainly be the DROY. Only two players had those type of stats last season, Watt and Abraham. Thinking a probable 3rd or 4th rounder could come in and do that as a rookie is ridiculous.

I have a better idea. Let's get 7 Von Millers, and 4 2006 Champs, and use them as our entire defense. Who is this SOLB you want to draft that is Von + coverage skills?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #347
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Would love to see what kind of grade the Broncos have on Corey Lemonier.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #348
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post

If Simon gets 8 sacks, 4 FF, 7 PD, 9 TFL, he would certainly be the DROY. Only two players had those type of stats last season, Watt and Abraham. Thinking a probable 3rd or 4th rounder could come in and do that as a rookie is ridiculous.

Apparantly some here think mid round rookies or even someone taken at 28 will have pro bowl seasons as a rookie. But rookie history has percentages that just doesn't measure up to these expectations. Will be lucky to get 6 sacks out of a rookie taken that late.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #349
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Apparantly some here think mid round rookies or even someone taken at 28 will have pro bowl seasons as a rookie. But rookie history has percentages that just doesn't measure up to these expectations. Will be lucky to get 6 sacks out of a rookie taken that late.
It's not like Denver hasn't had two rookies reach that mark in back to back years, one of which was picked after pick 28.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #350
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I think somewhere in this crop of players, the Broncos will be able to find a guy who can come in and be an asset rushing the passer in his first year. I don't think we are going to get a Pro-Bowler off the bat, but not everybody is a Von Miller. Derek Wolfe accomplished big things last year as a first year player and I'm willing to bet there is a player with schematic / positional versatility in this years draft who has a unique skill set to help us get after the passer.