The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Also Lone Bolt your point the war on drug is the root of violence is also a joke. Without drugs to make money on the inner city thugs would just do more crimes of property to make money.

If anything weed being legal would end a revenue stream for people and force them into even worst crimes.
Dude I like your football takes but man do you have some wacko ideas on other issues.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Dude I like your football takes but man do you have some wacko ideas on other issues.
You know it's getting bad when baja calls you wacko. That's like lance Armstrong saying you are a cheat.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

I think that the OP -- and Cut -- need to face the fact that the drug wars are coming to a close and the prohibitionists have lost the debate.

Quote:
The Next 8 States That Could Legalize Marijuana
Paul Szoldra | Mar. 23, 2013, 2:00 PM | 115,142 | 16

AP
Months after Washington and Colorado became the first states to legalize recreational marijuana, the push to make toking up legal is gaining momentum.

But it hasn't been easy. Activists still face stiff opposition from politicians, as well as the White House and a number of former Drug Enforcement chiefs, among others.

The fight will continue, however, especially with eight states considering legislation that would legalize marijuana this year.
Read the rest here: http://www.businessinsider.com/legal...rijuana-2013-3
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I'm not a big fan of legalization because I think govt will just screw it up. For instance make rules and regs so that only big corporation grow it. Then regulate it so THC can only be so high etc etc. If the law was its legal, anyone can grow it, you can smoke it anywhere you can ciggs, sell it along with alcohol at bars, let me grow my own in my house etc then fine. Also it should not be taxed any more then the % alcohol is. The notion a 50 dollar an ounce tax is fair when i can buy some killer weed right now for 175 an ounce is a joke.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #30
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Also I don't see how states can go over the fed law. Sure obama can sort of ignore it but you watch one day they will crack down. I'm not sure why the feds so against it but if a liberal prez like Obama won't take the effort to change it not sure anyone will.

If a repub managed to win in 4 yrs who knows colo could have dea raiding all their pot shops.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #31
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Also I don't see how states can go over the fed law. Sure obama can sort of ignore it but you watch one day they will crack down. I'm not sure why the feds so against it but if a liberal prez like Obama won't take the effort to change it not sure anyone will.

If a repub managed to win in 4 yrs who knows colo could have dea raiding all their pot shops.
Fat chance. No matter who is POTUS.

Quote:
Americans Want Federal Gov't Out of State Marijuana Laws
Overall support for legalizing marijuana use is split
by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- Sixty-four percent of Americans are against the federal government's taking steps to enforce federal anti-marijuana laws in states where marijuana is legal. Americans who personally believe that marijuana should be legal overwhelmingly say the federal government should not get involved at the state level, along with four in 10 of those who are opposed to legalized marijuana.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159152/am...uana-laws.aspx
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #32
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
Fat chance. No matter who is POTUS.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159152/am...uana-laws.aspx
Those polls always are skewed by saying would you want it legal so it can be taxed. Its sold on a false bill of goods it will raise significant revenue.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #33
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Those polls always are skewed by saying would you want it legal so it can be taxed. Its sold on a false bill of goods it will raise significant revenue.

And you can prove that about this particular poll? Evidence?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #34
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

That poll actually is quite split on the legalization issue. i would say its probably a good poll. So you're all for states rights? What if a state wants to make abortion illegal, would you support feds staying out of it. Of what if states wanted to do away with all affirmitive action? So IMO the issue of states rights gets cloudy depending on what issue you are talking about. What if a state wanted to make cocaine legal?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Driving High in Mile High

DENVER (AP) - Colorado lawmakers are trying for a fourth time to set driving limits for marijuana users.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...for-vote-in-CO
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #36
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Yep you watch they will make it impossible to be a smoke and drive, or get any kind of good job. Weed will be legal but pushed to the fringe still or force people to try and get around they system with fake urine and hair etc.

Then you watch the tax will be a joke, then some states will screw it up making limits of potency impossible to enforce etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #37
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I wonder how much someone whose smokes once a day for a couple months in a row would register after waking up in the morning, not smoking, then get tested.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://news.antiwar.com/2012/11/20/u...-in-co-and-wa/

UN Drug Czar Pressing US Feds to Disregard Marijuana Legalization in Co. and Wa.
Apparently a democratic vote to decide what substances people can put in their own bodies isn't enough.

Seems that the pressure is coming from the UN also...hmmm. What deals are made in this "grand bargin".
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #39
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
There are partisan differences over legalizing marijuana use and whether smoking marijuana is morally wrong. But Republicans and Democrats have similar views on enforcing marijuana laws: 57% of Republicans and 59% of Democrats say that the federal government should not enforce federal marijuana laws in states that permit its use. Substantial majorities of both Republicans (67%) and Democrats (71%) also say federal enforcement of marijuana laws is not worth the cost.
http://www.people-press.org/2013/04/...ing-marijuana/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #40
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Collars for Dollars

Quote:
Police work can be dangerous. Ordinary patrol and narcotics police like the marijuana arrests because they are relatively safe and easy. If an officer stops and searches 10 or 15 young people, one or two of them will likely have a bit of marijuana. All police have arrest quotas and often they can earn much-desired overtime pay by making a marijuana arrest toward the end of a shift. In New York City, arresting people for petty offenses for overtime pay is called “collars for dollars.” Every cop in the city knows that expression. From the officers’ point of view, people possessing marijuana are highly desirable arrestees. As one veteran lieutenant said, people whose only crime is marijuana possession are “clean,” meaning physically clean. Unlike junkies or winos, people arrested for marijuana don’t have HIV, hepatitis, or even body lice. They are unlikely to throw up on the officer or in the police car or van. Frequently they are on the way to a party or a date, and if they have smoked a little, they may be relaxed and amiable. Marijuana arrests are a quality of life issue – for the police.
http://thenewinquiry.com/features/national-disgrace/
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #41
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Colorado the Napa Valley of weed

Quote:
Colorado has not seen enforcement action like you’ve seen in California, where they’re kicking in the doors of dispensaries. And that’s because Colorado has the most sophisticated medical marijuana regulatory system of anywhere in the world. At this point we have 400 pages of regulations and laws, so it’s very easy to tell if this person is following the rules, and that person’s selling 150 pounds out the back door. But we’re still being cautious. We’re not here to poke our fingers in anybody’s eye or annoy the federal government. We just want to help people and make the process of finding weed more normal.

Normal is what we have in Colorado right now. You buy your weed at a store, and it has hours. I was saying to my friend the other day, “Aw man, it’s 7:30, the weed store’s closed. Oh well, I guess I’ll wait until they open tomorrow morning at 9.” That’s normal. That’s what it should be.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...valley-of-weed
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #42
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
http://news.antiwar.com/2012/11/20/u...-in-co-and-wa/

UN Drug Czar Pressing US Feds to Disregard Marijuana Legalization in Co. and Wa.
Apparently a democratic vote to decide what substances people can put in their own bodies isn't enough.

Seems that the pressure is coming from the UN also...hmmm. What deals are made in this "grand bargin".
I couldn't find it but once i read an article when CA had it on the ballot and legalization failed by a few % points. It was a lawmaker from Colombia who said if America legalizes weed they would probably want to change coke also. They could say we don't care if coke ends up in America cheap, we are just going to let people grow coco. I heard once the vast majority of people in colombia see the war on drugs as forced on the by the USA.

So IMO the feds, Obama, Clinton, Bush etc just were like i don't see why I would want to open this can of worms with other things i feel are more important.

Really the the massive regulations colo trying seem like they would be just as expensive as enforcing marijuana being illegal.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #43
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Also has colo decided how much tax yet? Will it just be you buy weed and pay sales tax? Or is there a surtax of some kind also?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #44
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I couldn't find it but once i read an article when CA had it on the ballot and legalization failed by a few % points. It was a lawmaker from Colombia who said if America legalizes weed they would probably want to change coke also. They could say we don't care if coke ends up in America cheap, we are just going to let people grow coco. I heard once the vast majority of people in colombia see the war on drugs as forced on the by the USA.

So IMO the feds, Obama, Clinton, Bush etc just were like i don't see why I would want to open this can of worms with other things i feel are more important.

Really the the massive regulations colo trying seem like they would be just as expensive as enforcing marijuana being illegal.
Noone is talking about making coke, stop changing the subject.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #45
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.thecompassionchronicles.c...galizing-hemp/

Really, it's not about cannabis - it's about hemp. It would open such a huge market for production of goods & plastics - it would really change things.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #46
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Noone is talking about making coke, stop changing the subject.
You missed my point. The issue had went to why the UN would care so much about weed as to say anything about it. My point was we signed a lot of treaties with countries like Colombia. More then just the narco trafficking of cocaine is on those. Weed, heroin and the whole list of the drugs most of the world says are illegal. My point wasn't to compare weed to coke, but to compare how a country like colombia might view it. They could say well you made weed legal because it grows well there and you got sick of fighting it.

What would then stop Colombia from saying the same thing?

Another question would be can the USA change those treaties easily or would we have to just pull out of them and try and write new ones.

You do agree we can't just change international treaties we are party to with a stroke of the pen and expect the other countries to not care right? Legalization by a leading country like the USA could start a ripple effect into other countries with other drugs.

That is a reasonable point IMO and worth discussion. You're just not seeing the angle i presented because you don't like me.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #47
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Also I heard the level Colo wants to set the DUI for pot is so low that anyone who smokes on a regular basis will fail it. Sure you can fight it but who has time for a lawyer. hell pot legalization is going to be huge for lawyers.

Cities will equip cops with devices to test nanograms and set it so low any recrational smokers will go over the limit!

Im telling you guys legal weed regulated, taxed, and DUI enforced by cities is no utopia for weed lovers like us. It's going to suck. Eventually it will be legal but the govt will encourage no jobs to hire people who test for it. Eventually they may even say want a govt loan, drug test first.

make it legal then fight it by not letting people who use drugs participate in life.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #48
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
http://www.thecompassionchronicles.c...galizing-hemp/

Really, it's not about cannabis - it's about hemp. It would open such a huge market for production of goods & plastics - it would really change things.
My friend is a big lover of all things weed and hemp. He owned a head shop for awhile. I have the 20 foot long 3D maryjanes sign in a spare room on the wall from when he sold it. lol. he sold lots of hemp stuff but the shirts were sort of stiff and rough. Also I read hemp rope not as strong and light as many of the nylons that replaced it. What type of plastic can it mke though, i have not read that.

I do know you can make oil from the seeds and burn it but i read its not economical. lets face it the best thing about it is lighting up a flower from the female plant and getting high. Or making hash lol.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #49
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
You missed my point. The issue had went to why the UN would care so much about weed as to say anything about it. My point was we signed a lot of treaties with countries like Colombia. More then just the narco trafficking of cocaine is on those. Weed, heroin and the whole list of the drugs most of the world says are illegal. My point wasn't to compare weed to coke, but to compare how a country like colombia might view it. They could say well you made weed legal because it grows well there and you got sick of fighting it.

What would then stop Colombia from saying the same thing?

Another question would be can the USA change those treaties easily or would we have to just pull out of them and try and write new ones.

You do agree we can't just change international treaties we are party to with a stroke of the pen and expect the other countries to not care right? Legalization by a leading country like the USA could start a ripple effect into other countries with other drugs.

That is a reasonable point IMO and worth discussion. You're just not seeing the angle i presented because you don't like me.
Colombia court upholds no jail time for drug use
Associated Press
Friday, June 29, 2012
Colombia's Constitutional Court has ruled that people cannot be jailed for possessing cocaine and marijuana for personal use. The decision ratifies a previous Supreme Court ruling that said people cannot be jailed for possession of a so-called personal dose. A 2009 law placed the dose at up to 20 grams of marijuana and one gram of cocaine.

http://www.druglawreform.info/en/cou...ation/colombia
Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Colombia court upholds no jail time for drug use
Associated Press
Friday, June 29, 2012
Colombia's Constitutional Court has ruled that people cannot be jailed for possessing cocaine and marijuana for personal use. The decision ratifies a previous Supreme Court ruling that said people cannot be jailed for possession of a so-called personal dose. A 2009 law placed the dose at up to 20 grams of marijuana and one gram of cocaine.

http://www.druglawreform.info/en/cou...ation/colombia
you can decriminalize possession and not run afoul. You can't though let people start producing it and taxing it without running afoul of international law.