The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #276
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,086

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I take offense to your comments.

1. I know Wolfe plays in the 5-tech in the base defense (which the Broncos play 35% of the time). As I've stated a million times, he's not good there. I rewatched Defensive plays so many times this season it made my eyes bleed. A faster player is necessary at that position (someone like Datone Jones). And no, it's not necessary for Wolfe to play by Von Miller. It is necessary for a strong, powerful, and fast player who can beat NFL OT's, or split the RG/OT, to play at that position. Wolfe plays the run well in the base Defense, but is a complete liability in the passing game when lining up against an OT. He's too far away from the QB (at 5-tech) to make a difference.

Datone Jones is not a faster player than Wolfe and he is not as productive. Wolfe in the base package has gap responsibility for both the tackles inside and outside shoulder and has to play read and react. The nose tackle (both Vickerson and Bannan played that position) plays both sides of the center and the defensive tackle plays the guards outside shoulder with the RDE playing the tackles outside shoulder and is responsible for taking the C gap on that side as well as preventing the tackle from getting to the 2nd level and taking on the will linebacker. This setup protects the linebackers and allows Von Miller to set the edge on the left side and rush the back field, and requires the RDE to set the edge outside of the tackle on the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
2.

Your own words buddy. Look at the picture. Study it.



As you can see, the Seattle/Broncos base Defense deployed a LEO (Dumervil), 3-tech (Bannan), 1-tech (Vickerson), 5-tech (Wolfe), and SAM (Miller). If you have any questions about this, rewatch the games, look at online depth charts...do whatever it takes. Vickerson lined up next to Wolfe, and Bannan lined up next to Dumervil.

I am quite aware of every single player on the Broncos and what position they play. I have been one of the world's biggest Bronco fans for over 30 years. I'm also an Electrical Engineer, and pay close attention to detail. Don't insult me.


3. By your own admission, the LB's were 'weak and undersized'. MIKE needed to be upgraded. Woodyard can't fight through blocks very well. You don't sign a big, mediocre 3-tech (Knighton), just to hold off Offensive Lineman from your puny slow MIKE. Get a better MIKE. 3-tech's are not meant to play like NT's. They are meant to crash through the OL and MAKE PLAYS. Upgrading MIKE won't happen now that the Broncos need a 4-3 DE to replace Dumervil. Upgrading the 3-tech in the base Defense (to Wolfe) won't happen either until JDR moves on....which is a shame.
Te'o is not faster than Irving. Did you know that Ray Lewis considered because he didn't like playing 3-4 and having to fight off linemen all the time? that is the main reason the Ravens switched back to 4-3 to protect him - and he is only one of the most dominant MLBs to ever play the game. The Mike in 4-3 is not meant to take on offensive linemen, that is only true of the SILB in 3-4 fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
4. In a 4-3 Under (what the Broncos, and Seahawks play in base defense), one side plays like a 3-4 (usually Vickerson, Wolfe, Miller), and the right side plays like a 4-3 (Bannan, Dumervil). Losing Dumervil will probably cost the Broncos an opportunity of a Superbowl because they don't have enough fingers to plug the holes in the dike. Dumervil is a Pro Bowl RDE in the prime of his career...and worth every penny.
That is just bull****, you are basing this whole statement on the notion that 3-4 is always 2-gap and 4-3 is always 1-gap which is clearly bull****. Both we and Patriots play 2-gapping 40 fronts while the Chargers and Cowboys have long played 1-gapping 30 fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
5. Ayers is not a good LEO. He's a strongside 4-3 DE, or backup.
Ayers has never played LDE in the 40 front in base defense, he has played RDE in base, LDE in passing situations - which becomes much more like RDE and he has played B which is also much more like RDE than LDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
6. Knighton is not a good 3-tech. Good 3-tech's get 7+ sacks a year. Knighton has 7 sacks in his entire career. He's a remotely disruptive big DT (like Vickerson).
Again you fail to understand the difference between a read and react run defender and a pass rusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
7. Vickerson is not a good 1-tech. He is not strong/athletic enough to require a double-team, and doesn't overpower single coverage. At least he's a solid, and I like him.

8. Wolfe is not a good 5-tech. He's too slow, and not dynamic enough to beat NFL OT's in passing situations. But he is a good 3-tech.

9. Irving is not a good MIKE. He's unproven and slow. So far he is a backup. Could have drafted Te'o/Brown in the 1st...can't now.
Te'o and Brown are even more unproven, neither player has taken a single snap in the NFL unlike Irving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
10. Adams is not a good SS. Could have drafted an upgrade, but it will be tough to do considering all the other positions that need upgraded.
How many players are you going to draft in the 1st round? RB, MLB, SS? you have to decide which of these points to go with the rest is just you talking out of your rectal cavity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
11. Need an upgrade at RB. Maybe they will get lucky and draft Johnathan Franklin in the 2nd. Leaving the main problem from 2012 (MIKE, and SS) completely unaddressed.
Why would you draft an undersized guy who is no faster than Hillman? we don't need 2 of those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
12. All the Broncos had to do was keep Dumervil and move Wolfe to 3-tech...they utterly failed and now have holes EVERYWHERE, with players playing out of position and backups starting...with not enough draft picks to do anything about it.
Wolfe is not powerful enough to play the 3-tech in base defense when he has to read and react to the run.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #277
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Knighton was expected to draw double teams when the Jags drafted him, that's what JDR expected from him and nothing has changed. Just because you claim he won't draw double teams does not make it so. Sorry.
I didn't say Knighton or Vickerson WON'T get double-teamed. I said they don't REQUIRE a double-team. NEITHER is an impact, 3-down DT. Knighton might get better (let's hope so)...but he averages 35 tackles and less than 2 sacks per year. That won't cut it at 3-tech. Of course one of the interior DL will always be double-teamed in a 4-man DL front againt 5 OL. It's simple math.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #278
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,116

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I didn't say Knighton or Vickerson WON'T get double-teamed. I said they don't REQUIRE a double-team. NEITHER is an impact, 3-down DT. Knighton might get better (let's hope so)...but he averages 35 tackles and less than 2 sacks per year. That won't cut it at 3-tech. Of course one of the interior DL will always be double-teamed in a 4-man DL front againt 5 OL. It's simple math.
He's a NT, not a 3 tech. Good Lord son, you are dense.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #279
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I didn't say Knighton or Vickerson WON'T get double-teamed. I said they don't REQUIRE a double-team. NEITHER is an impact, 3-down DT. Knighton might get better (let's hope so)...but he averages 35 tackles and less than 2 sacks per year. That won't cut it at 3-tech. Of course one of the interior DL will always be double-teamed in a 4-man DL front againt 5 OL. It's simple math.
Knighton is a 1tech NT.. He's not a 3tech.. Yet in our scheme obviously the emphasis is on two gapping DTs who stop the run but push the pocket..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #280
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
He's a NT, not a 3 tech. Good Lord son, you are dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You don't have a shred of proof for assuming Knighton will play 3 tech and Vickerson NT. In fact, everything points to Knighton being brought in to play the NT and using Vickerson as the other large DT in the middle of the defensiving line. Whether Vickerson plays the 3 tech or Wolfe or Jackson or Ayers is still up in the air. But Knighton will play NT, regardless of what you think.
My "shred of evidence" is that Vickerson played NT in 2012, and I don't expect him to switch positions. Also the fact that Vickerson has played 3-tech before for the Broncos and freaking sucked at it. Another "shred" is that Knighton has shown a little more ability to generate pressure than Vickerson ever has, which would make him a better 3-tech. Another "shred" is that Knighton is replacing Bannan who played 3-tech for the Broncos last year. Good enough?

I don't care who is playing NT. There are ZERO impact NT's on the roster. And there is ZERO chance the Broncos will find one this offseason. All I want is interior pressure and sacks from an impact 3-tech. If past history is any indication, neither Vickerson nor Knighton are impact players at either position.

Who's playing NT doesn't matter in the least. Either Vickerson or Knighton would do a solid job.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-01-2013 at 06:15 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #281
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I didn't say Knighton or Vickerson WON'T get double-teamed. I said they don't REQUIRE a double-team. NEITHER is an impact, 3-down DT. Knighton might get better (let's hope so)...but he averages 35 tackles and less than 2 sacks per year. That won't cut it at 3-tech. Of course one of the interior DL will always be double-teamed in a 4-man DL front againt 5 OL. It's simple math.
he is a 330+ lb NT. his job is to occupy multiple blockers on the OL, force a double team to free up one of the other DL for a one on one match up.
helping to stop the run and freeing up others is his primary job.
if he gets 2 sacks then good job, but it's not his job to get sacks, it's his job to be a space eating disruption and free up others to pressure the QB, help get one on one match ups, clog up the running lanes to force the ball to bounce outside and etc.

if a NT is getting a ton of sacks he's either a straight up beast who is heading to the HOF or pure **** against the run.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #282
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Knighton is a 1tech NT.. He's not a 3tech.. Yet in our scheme obviously the emphasis is on two gapping DTs who stop the run but push the pocket..
Brandon Spano Show ‏@BrandonSpano

Terrance Knighton agreeing to deal with Broncos gives protoype 1-Tech guy for Del Rios unbalanced 4-3. It's not about player, all about fit.

The 1-technique

The 1-technique defensive tackle is traditionally a "space" eater. Their job is to two-gap and stuff the run more than anything else, so the running back has to spill the play to the outside or into the "bubble" created by how the the defensive line is setup, which will spill the back right into the should-be waiting weakside linebacker.

1-tech candidates on the Jaguars roster: C.J. Mosley, Jeris Pendleton
1-tech candidates with expiring contracts: Terrance Knighton
1-tech candidates in the first/second round: Star Lotulelei, Jessie Williams, Kawann Short

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/2/...ive-scheme-leo
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #283
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
PRICE, your damn pictures have done nothing but agree with what I have said. Wolfe is an unbelieveable 5 tech DE in our scheme. Stop thinking DE so simplistic, he plays like a DT, he is perfect as a 5 tech and since you talked him up for the last 3 years, you should love the way he plays and want him to stay there. If Ayers was capable of doing the same job as Wolfe, Wolfe would have been inside much more, but here's a news flash, WE DON'T AND WON'T BE RUNNING A BASIC 4-3. There's a big reason why, he happens to be our best defensive player...

Knighton is a NT and will be a NT in our scheme. He played NT in Jacksonville, he will be playing that position here. Vickerson will be our big athletic UT. Who will do what he does best, stop the run, disrupt the pocket, and chase plays down. One of Vickerson or Knighton WILL require a double team.

Unless you move Miller to RDE, our defense will not be a basic 4-3, and if that was the intention, we would have signed a new SLB and probably would have signed Knighton, rather Bannan as a cheap back up. Something like..

Miller, Wolfe, Vickerson, Ayers,.... Woodyard, Irving, Daryl Smith

But our Defense will not be looking like that. Because Von is playing as a Sam. I think it's funny you equate losing Doom to blowing our chances at a SB. He sure plays big when it matters the most.. I think our offense will be so dynamic that it will put us over the top, not the loss of doom. Ayers will be fine on run downs, and a pass rushing specialist only has to win one on one matchups to be successful, and since your an electrical engineer, you probably don't have a lot of time to view prospects, but we DON'T have to trade up in the first and you don't have to spend a first rounder..
1. Actually, my picture perfectly illustrates the points I've been making. It refutes your claim that "all the Broncos DT's 2-gap". The 3-tech doesn't...which is what I've been saying.
1. I never even came remotely close to saying that the Broncos base Defense is a "basic 4-3". It's a 4-3 Under, which is a hybrid (and combination of both 4/3/3-4).
2. Wouldn't you rather give your best DT (Wolfe) his best chance to succeed in a 4-3 Under? That position is 3-tech...not 5-tech where he has to 2-gap.
3. The only plays I saw Wolfe make at 5-tech, was an occasional run-stop. He would be a major playmaking force at 3-tech.
4. If you don't like Ayers at 5-tech, put Malik Jackson there. Ayers is a backup/rotational player anyway...now he'll be playing the most important position on the defense (RDE). Great move JDR.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #284
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
he is a 330+ lb NT. his job is to occupy multiple blockers on the OL, force a double team to free up one of the other DL for a one on one match up.
Cool. So what's Vickerson? Knighton's backup? He sure as hell better not be the 3-tech.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #285
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,116

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
My "shred of evidence" is that Vickerson played NT in 2012, and I don't expect him to switch positions. Also the fact that Vickerson has played 3-tech before for the Broncos and freaking sucked at it. Another "shred" is that Knighton has shown a little more ability to generate pressure than Vickerson ever has, which would make him a better 3-tech. Another "shred" is that Knighton is replacing Bannan who played 3-tech for the Broncos last year. 1.Good enough?

I don't care who is playing NT. There are ZERO impact NT's on the roster. And there is ZERO chance the Broncos will find one this offseason. 2. All I want is interior pressure and sacks from an impact 3-tech. If past history is any indication, neither Vickerson nor Knighton are impact players at either position.

Who's playing NT doesn't matter in the least. Either Vickerson or Knighton would do a solid job.
1. Nope, theres far more evidence to the contrary.

2. Again, this is all about you and you have no objectivity in your opinion. I hate to break the news to you, but you are not Elway nor are you Fox. Again, as I've said in other posts, just because you want it a certain way or think it should be a certain way does not make it so.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #286
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Datone Jones is not a faster player than Wolfe and he is not as productive.
Datone Jones 4.75s forty, 1.61s ten yard dash. Derek Wolfe 4.93 forty, 1.68s ten yard dash. Jones is MUCH faster than Wolfe, and could definitely generate pressure from the 5-tech position in passing situations. He’s strong too (29 bench reps), and could 2-gap effectively on the outside (just like Wolfe). If you don't like Datone Jones, fine. Play Malik Jackson at 5-tech. Wolfe generated ZERO sacks from the 5-tech position. Wolfe is MUCH more valuable on the inside.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Te'o is not faster than Irving. Did you know that Ray Lewis considered because he didn't like playing 3-4 and having to fight off linemen all the time? that is the main reason the Ravens switched back to 4-3 to protect him - and he is only one of the most dominant MLBs to ever play the game. The Mike in 4-3 is not meant to take on offensive linemen, that is only true of the SILB in 3-4 fronts.
So I take it you are comfortable leaving Irving as starting MIKE? Maybe you like Stewart Bradley better? I don't care if Te'o/Irving is "faster"...the Broncos need an impact player at the MIKE position, that's all I care about. If that turns out to be Irving, more power to him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That is just bull****, you are basing this whole statement on the notion that 3-4 is always 2-gap and 4-3 is always 1-gap which is clearly bull****. Both we and Patriots play 2-gapping 40 fronts while the Chargers and Cowboys have long played 1-gapping 30 fronts.
I said nothing of the sort. Look up '4-3 Under' and get back to me. I'm sick of trying to explain something to you that you don't even care to look up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Ayers has never played LDE in the 40 front in base defense, he has played RDE in base, LDE in passing situations - which becomes much more like RDE and he has played B which is also much more like RDE than LDE.
Except that Ayers was listed as the backup LDE prior to Hunter's injury in 2012, before switching positions so Wolfe could get on the field. RDE is the most important position of any Defense. Bob Ayers (a perennial backup) is the current starter. Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Again you fail to understand the difference between a read and react run defender and a pass rusher.
You think the purpose of a 3-tech is to be a "read and react run defender"? Lol. Look up the definition of 3-tech. You need a little bit more than a run-stopper at that position cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Te'o and Brown are even more unproven, neither player has taken a single snap in the NFL unlike Irving.
Cool. Then roll with Irving. Fine by me. Elway said the Broncos would be looking to add talent at the MIKE position, they interviewed Te'o at the combine, and went to his Pro Day. It's fairly accurate to say the Broncos are interested in upgrading the position. I can see why.


[QUOTE=gyldenlove;3823918]How many players are you going to draft in the 1st round? RB, MLB, SS? you have to decide which of these points to go with the rest is just you talking out of your rectal cavity.

I wouldn't draft an SS in the 1st round (or RB), but thanks for asking. The point is, the Broncos are now forced to waste a 1st round draft pick on an RDE rather than being able to use it on BAP (if they kept Dumervil).


Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Why would you draft an undersized guy who is no faster than Hillman? we don't need 2 of those guys.
Since when is 5'10" 205 lbs. undersized? Can I have some of what you're smoking? The Broncos may want to drop McGahee because he's older, injured, and costs $5M in cap room over the next two years. Franklin is a fresher, cheaper, option with great speed and ability. The perfect kind of back for the Manning Offense's single-back set. Franklin may be the BPA at #58.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Wolfe is not powerful enough to play the 3-tech in base defense when he has to read and react to the run.
. Wolfe is not powerful enough to 1-gap an LG, but he IS powerful enough to 2-gap an OT? You do realize Wolfe 1-gaps the LG in Nickel Defense right?

Here's a rough breakdown of Wolfe snaps at each position:

5-tech (Base) - 35% of Broncos Defensive plays
3-tech (Nickel) - 35% if Broncos Defensive plays
1-tech (Nickel)- 15% of Broncos Defensive plays
Nickel DE (right or left)- 15% of Defensive plays

If Wolfe can get 6 sacks 1-gapping an OG in nickel Defense what makes you think he's "not powerful enough" to 1-gap the LG in base Defense? Pass the peyote homey.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #287
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Cool. So what's Vickerson? Knighton's backup? He sure as hell better not be the 3-tech.
Vick hasn't played with a legit true NT since he's been in Denver. maybe upgrading the talent level helps him. heck he's arguable been the best DT on the roster since he's played with the Broncos.

ideally you want a 3 tech to be a very good interior pass rusher but we don't really have the personnel to do that(unless you make Wolfe a near full UT on all downs) and Knighton is a pure NT type.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #288
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,860
Default

[QUOTE=pricejj;3824059]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
How many players are you going to draft in the 1st round? RB, MLB, SS? you have to decide which of these points to go with the rest is just you talking out of your rectal cavity.

I wouldn't draft an SS in the 1st round (or RB), but thanks for asking. The point is, the Broncos are now forced to waste a 1st round draft pick on an RDE rather than being able to use it on BAP (if they kept Dumervil).




Since when is 5'10" 205 lbs. undersized? Can I have some of what you're smoking? The Broncos may want to drop McGahee because he's older, injured, and costs $5M in cap room over the next two years. Franklin is a fresher, cheaper, option with great speed and ability. The perfect kind of back for the Manning Offense's single-back set. Franklin may be the BPA at #58.
5-10 205 is always considered undersized.
Clinton Portis started a lot of seasons at 205-208 and was considered undersized.
in most cases the expectation for a RB is 6-0 210+ or else they call them small or undersized.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #289
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
1. Nope, theres far more evidence to the contrary.
What evidence? Knighton has historically played 1-tech, and Vickerson has historically played 1-tech. Looks like a training camp death match battle is brewing! Not. Like I said, I couldn't care less which one plays NT.

I'm far more pissed that Dumervil is gone, because the Broncos blew all their cap money on mediocre backups that Manning and JDR used to know...and an idiot, ground-kicking, tribal-tat wearing, over-priced, stripper-driving, DUI hit-and-run ticketed moron, who misses kicks for a living.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #290
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
5-10 205 is always considered undersized.
Clinton Portis started a lot of seasons at 205-208 and was considered undersized.
in most cases the expectation for a RB is 6-0 210+ or else they call them small or undersized.
Sweet, I would take Clinton Portis in his prime any day of the week.

I'd say Franklin has average size, with above-average speed, and above-average ability. He's a perfect candidate to take the place of an aging Willis McGahee in Manning's single-back set. All they need is a fast RB, who can run between the tackles, catch the rock, and make plays. Franklin fits the bill and could be available at #58 when the Broncos pick. He'll be the best RB available at any of the Broncos picks unless you want to pick Lacy in round 1 (who will probably be picked by GB anyway).

Franklin is the probably the best option, with the best value, if he's still there at #58....if you want to replace McGahee and save $5M over the next two years.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-01-2013 at 07:35 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #291
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,116

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
What evidence? Knighton has historically played 1-tech, and Vickerson has historically played 1-tech. Looks like a training camp death match battle is brewing! Not. Like I said, I couldn't care less which one plays NT.

I'm far more pissed that Dumervil is gone, because the Broncos blew all their cap money on mediocre backups that Manning and JDR used to know...and an idiot, ground-kicking, tribal-tat wearing, over-priced, stripper-driving, DUI hit-and-run ticketed moron, who misses kicks for a living.
The evidence is that Knighton was drafted to play NT, he played NT under JDR with the Jags and he fits into JDR's scheme as a NT. Knighton and Vickerson fit into JDR's scheme for having two big DTs in the middle of the defensive line. Vickerson only played NT because the Broncos had no other options. Now the Broncos have a better option with Knighton. This will mean Vickerson will shift over to a 3 tech. It may not be perfect but it will be better.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #292
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The evidence is that Knighton was drafted to play NT, he played NT under JDR with the Jags and he fits into JDR's scheme as a NT. Knighton and Vickerson fit into JDR's scheme for having two big DTs in the middle of the defensive line. Vickerson only played NT because the Broncos had no other options. Now the Broncos have a better option with Knighton. This will mean Vickerson will shift over to a 3 tech. It may not be perfect but it will be better.
I don't know it's pretty difficult to get "better" from the NFL's 4th ranked Defense in points and 2nd ranked Defense in yards.

I'd say about the only way you could screw that up is by releasing your perennial Pro Bowl RDE, in the prime of his career, just so you can make room to pay more perennial backups.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #293
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

John Simon is the perfect LEO DE for us. His pro day numbers put him in the top 10 in every category. 40 time 4.62, 34 inch vertical, 10'01 broad, 7.10 3 cone, and 4.42 20 yard shuttle.

He is a second round guy that would allow Denver to still go after a MLB in the 1st round.

Like Simon, Gholston was a guy who seemed to be at his best with one hand in the dirt while he was chasing down quarterbacks from his defensive end position. Both Simon and Gholston played Ohio State’s hybrid drop-end position, called the Leo or Viper, while they were in Columbus, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the right skill set to play outside linebacker at the next level.

http://theozone.net/football/2012/po...r.Bowl_LB.html

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 04-02-2013 at 12:45 AM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #294
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,976

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Sure would be nice if we got a rookie to replace Doom that completely made us forget about him.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #295
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I hope Tank Carradine falls to the Broncos, I was hoping he would fall to the Broncos in round #2 now I read he might get drafted in the first round.

Last edited by Bacchus; 04-02-2013 at 02:30 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #296
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
John Simon is the perfect LEO DE for us. His pro day numbers put him in the top 10 in every category. 40 time 4.62, 34 inch vertical, 10'01 broad, 7.10 3 cone, and 4.42 20 yard shuttle.

He is a second round guy that would allow Denver to still go after a MLB in the 1st round.

Like Simon, Gholston was a guy who seemed to be at his best with one hand in the dirt while he was chasing down quarterbacks from his defensive end position. Both Simon and Gholston played Ohio State’s hybrid drop-end position, called the Leo or Viper, while they were in Columbus, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the right skill set to play outside linebacker at the next level.

http://theozone.net/football/2012/po...r.Bowl_LB.html
I think Simon would be an excellent weakside DE replacement for Doom. I actually selected him in the OM mock draft (4th round) and I've compared him coming out of college with Doom before actually.

Simon has very mature pass rush fundamentals for a college graduate. He plays a bit stiff in the body because he's so damn yoked up, but for a weakside DE who will rarely if ever drop into coverage that shouldn't be a big deal. He's explosive off the line and has the upper body power to man handle any OT who lets him get inside on them. Nice but not terrific arm length, but he's a technician with his hands and makes the most of every inch of reach he's got.

He'd be a perfect fit for our 3rd round selection if he's still hanging around. I wouldn't even complain if we take him in the 2nd, but if we can hold off until the 3rd he's MASSIVE value there.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #297
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Wow,
I haven't checked in on this thread in a while but there seems to be some bad juju here.

Regardless of who is "right," don't you think every move that Elway/Fox have made has been done with "defensive flexibility" in mind? If the main argument is to what roles Vickerson and Knighton will play - aren't both of these guys decent enough to play everything from a 0 tech to a 3 tech based on the play call?

It seems like we are arguing in circles, but I look at these guys as both interchangeable pieces that can play all of those spots. Neither one is a huge pass rusher, but they will definitely "pave the road" for better play by our MLB. In fact, they could possibly set up more MLB blitzes since they can both eat a little more space than our cumulative group last year. I trust a sack on an a-gap blitz more than asking one of my DT's to push through his man to the QB.

Oh well, carry on.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #298
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Calm down, guys.

Neither Fox nor JDR field defenses with much distinction between LDT and RDT, so you're arguing over some pretty inconsequential semantics.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #299
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I think Simon would be an excellent weakside DE replacement for Doom. I actually selected him in the OM mock draft (4th round) and I've compared him coming out of college with Doom before actually.

Simon has very mature pass rush fundamentals for a college graduate. He plays a bit stiff in the body because he's so damn yoked up, but for a weakside DE who will rarely if ever drop into coverage that shouldn't be a big deal. He's explosive off the line and has the upper body power to man handle any OT who lets him get inside on them. Nice but not terrific arm length, but he's a technician with his hands and makes the most of every inch of reach he's got.

He'd be a perfect fit for our 3rd round selection if he's still hanging around. I wouldn't even complain if we take him in the 2nd, but if we can hold off until the 3rd he's MASSIVE value there.
Hell yes. I've been fully on board with Simon for a while and love this relentless play. The guy is a two year captain as well and has a really high motor. Would love to have him in the third but I really doubt he drops that far.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #300
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
John Simon is the perfect LEO DE for us. His pro day numbers put him in the top 10 in every category. 40 time 4.62, 34 inch vertical, 10'01 broad, 7.10 3 cone, and 4.42 20 yard shuttle.

He is a second round guy that would allow Denver to still go after a MLB in the 1st round.

Like Simon, Gholston was a guy who seemed to be at his best with one hand in the dirt while he was chasing down quarterbacks from his defensive end position. Both Simon and Gholston played Ohio State’s hybrid drop-end position, called the Leo or Viper, while they were in Columbus, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the right skill set to play outside linebacker at the next level.

http://theozone.net/football/2012/po...r.Bowl_LB.html
That's funny bro, didn't I just name drop him in this thread!

And you hit me with his pro day stats.. After I told price we don't have to trade up for Moore and that the draft is deep with pass rushers..

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 04-02-2013 at 07:41 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Denver Broncos