The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #1101
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Loved the first episode of season 3. Like others have said, they covered a lot of ground this first episode and set a lot of the plot lines for the season in motion.

Couple of minor quibble points. They overplayed their hand with the Unsullied slave trader. In a series such as this that aspires to be more mature and thought provoking, I feel it is a mistake to make any one character too easy to hate. Much in the same way they have made Joffrey far more of a nonredeemable sociopath than he was in the novels. (***Spoiler Text***) Its as if the show writers don't have enough faith in the audience to be satisfied when these characters receive their eventual comeuppance so they spell out in bold letters, hate this character. (***End Spoilers***)

My favorite scene of the night was easily the Royal dinner party which had to feature one of the most vicious passive aggressive family conversations I have ever seen. Sorry Joffrey, as big of a c*ckbite as you are, you are still no match for your mother in verbal sparring games.

Looking forward to next week's episode. There are still enough characters that we need to catch up with and set on their arcs for season three that I don't suspect we will start slowing down just yet.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #1102
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
It's more or less impossible to hide an actor from the audience. The real question is: where's Strong Belwas!
Agree. They dont have the time to **** arounddragging out plot lines this season.

I was wondering the same about strong belwas .they also ditched the red w foreshadowing with tywin and tyrion in that important letter he was writing.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #1103
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Loved the first episode of season 3. Like others have said, they covered a lot of ground this first episode and set a lot of the plot lines for the season in motion.

Couple of minor quibble points. They overplayed their hand with the Unsullied slave trader. In a series such as this that aspires to be more mature and thought provoking, I feel it is a mistake to make any one character too easy to hate. Much in the same way they have made Joffrey far more of a nonredeemable sociopath than he was in the novels. (***Spoiler Text***) Its as if the show writers don't have enough faith in the audience to be satisfied when these characters receive their eventual comeuppance so they spell out in bold letters, hate this character. (***End Spoilers***)

My favorite scene of the night was easily the Royal dinner party which had to feature one of the most vicious passive aggressive family conversations I have ever seen. Sorry Joffrey, as big of a c*ckbite as you are, you are still no match for your mother in verbal sparring games.

Looking forward to next week's episode. There are still enough characters that we need to catch up with and set on their arcs for season three that I don't suspect we will start slowing down just yet.
Im floored that you felt the books dont portray Joff as an even bigger pile of **** than the show does...

The books were amazing at making you hate certain people with an unbridled passion (primarily Joff and Ramsay Bolton). That slave trader was every bit like that in the books... in fact, I think that dialogue is a string of direct quotes (though its been a couple years since I read this one).
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #1104
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Im floored that you felt the books dont portray Joff as an even bigger pile of **** than the show does...

The books were amazing at making you hate certain people with an unbridled passion (primarily Joff and Ramsay Bolton). That slave trader was every bit like that in the books... in fact, I think that dialogue is a string of direct quotes (though its been a couple years since I read this one).
I reread a storm of swords before the season started last week, and I have to say there is about 30 pages of vulgar insults that the slave trader hurls at Daenerys.

Agree on Joff.

And in regards to your latter post, I guess I liked the character of Aston Whitebeard more than others. I also liked how the book portrayed the unveiling of his true identity.
DivineLegion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #1105
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The books showed Joffrey to be a liar, coward, entitled, and generally unlikable. It did however stop short of making him a sociopath that enjoys watching prostitutes beaten for his pleasure. Nor did they have him ordering the deaths of all of King Robert's bastard children (Cersie is responsible for that particular slaughter in the books)
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #1106
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:

The slave trader in the book verbally crucified DT way harsher than that…

I thought HBO nailed him, but failed a little when it came to the story of the unsullied. I mean, I get it…they don't have a ton of time to devote, but they are pretty badass and garnered a little more attention. JMO.

Loved seeing the giants...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #1107
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
The slave trader in the book verbally crucified DT way harsher than that…

I thought HBO nailed him, but failed a little when it came to the story of the unsullied. I mean, I get it…they don't have a ton of time to devote, but they are pretty badass and garnered a little more attention. JMO.

Loved seeing the giants...
We also missed out on the lesbianism (for those who know what I am referring to)!
DivineLegion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #1108
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
We also missed out on the lesbianism (for those who know what I am referring to)!
Well, they have re-arranged some scenes in the series already. For example, I think the closing scene of this episode actually happened on the Docks of Quarth before they left. May be mistaken there has it has been a while since I read the books. My point is, there is still plenty of time for Dany to get her grove on with her bunk mate (please HBO, don't reverse your fan service policy now)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #1109
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
This. I feel like the show tries harder to make him seem more sympathetic.

The Books do show characters in a different light because we can read their thoughts. That helps with things like making Tyrion more badass, Bran's experiences embodying the Direwolf, and admitedly somewhat sympathetic views of SOME of the Lannisters (I think Jamie and his father are badass), but the books make Joffrey and Cercei out to be even more deplorable, IMO.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #1110
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Well, they have re-arranged some scenes in the series already. For example, I think the closing scene of this episode actually happened on the Docks of Quarth before they left. May be mistaken there has it has been a while since I read the books. My point is, there is still plenty of time for Dany to get her grove on with her bunk mate (please HBO, don't reverse your fan service policy now)

They've showed that before in the Season 1 brothel scene when Littlefinger is waxing hysterical about his grand schemes, so you'll likely get your wish.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #1111
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
The books showed Joffrey to be a liar, coward, entitled, and generally unlikable. It did however stop short of making him a sociopath that enjoys watching prostitutes beaten for his pleasure. Nor did they have him ordering the deaths of all of King Robert's bastard children (Cersie is responsible for that particular slaughter in the books)
You need to read the books again. There's the first part of a chapter where everyone who comes to the king with a grievance ends up having to fight to the death for his enjoyment and he ends up killing them both sometimes. The kid is a an evil little puke.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #1112
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

All I know is that this was quite the boring season opener. Not that I've been thrilled with much of this series anyway. To me it's way over hyped. It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland. This might was well be General Hospital or Days Of Our Lives to be honest. It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #1113
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'd dare say that tormeting your bride to be by having her stripped and beaten, making her look at her father's chopped off head, etc. are more clear indicators of sociopathy than making prostitutes do some BDSM.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #1114
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I'd dare say that tormeting your bride to be by having her stripped and beaten, making her look at her father's chopped off head, etc. are more clear indicators of sociopathy than making prostitutes do some BDSM.
I liked when Sansa saw him "but didn't 'see' him" and how it pissed off Joffrey. It's hard to convey what was going there in the show. When you read it makes Sansa less weak.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #1115
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
All I know is that this was quite the boring season opener. Not that I've been thrilled with much of this series anyway. To me it's way over hyped. It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland. This might was well be General Hospital or Days Of Our Lives to be honest. It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.

Are you the same one who thought the nudity, language and violence was excessive and wanted to watch it with the family?

Cant please everyone i guess.
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #1116
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You need to read the books again. There's the first part of a chapter where everyone who comes to the king with a grievance ends up having to fight to the death for his enjoyment and he ends up killing them both sometimes. The kid is a an evil little puke.
The weasel Joffery is so evil and beyond any idea of redemption that it will welcomed indeed to see him being drawn and quartered in slo mo ... or whatever well deserved end he has coming to him.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #1117
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland.
Well, that's like, your opinion man.

Quote:
It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.
It's a drama, it's about character development and plot lines. Not all dramas are soaps Is Othello a day time soap as well?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #1118
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I liked when Sansa saw him "but didn't 'see' him" and how it pissed off Joffrey. It's hard to convey what was going there in the show. When you read it makes Sansa less weak.
Martin has a knack for writing good female characters. Sansa, Dany and Arya have perhaps the most interesting character arcs in the entire series. Some quality male character arcs too, but not on par IMHO.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #1119
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Martin has a knack for writing good female characters. Sansa, Dany and Arya have perhaps the most interesting character arcs in the entire series. Some quality male character arcs too, but not on par IMHO.
Oh come on. Tyrion steals the show! But I agree. Arya is one of my favorites. And he picks good female "villains" too.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #1120
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Cracks me up when people who say they series isn't very good have watched all the episodes. I never watch a show twice unless I really like it. Game of Thrones is awesome and one of the best produced shows on TV.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #1121
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

they could torture, tear body parts off of him one by one, draw and quarter him, tar and feather him, burn him alive and it still wouldn't be enough to punish that psychotic little bastard Joff.

and that doesn't even begin to reach the depths of how bent his mother is.
that b**** is about as evil as you can be without being the devil.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #1122
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
I completely disagree with that. I personally think Jamie Lannister has one of the best character arcs in the entire book when you consider his past, present, and what may be his future. It's especially wild to me how Martin manages to take him from a hated character and turn him into one that the reader can be sympathetic towards.

That said, I completely agree that Martin does a great job of writing female characters.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #1123
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
they could torture, tear body parts off of him one by one, draw and quarter him, tar and feather him, burn him alive and it still wouldn't be enough to punish that psychotic little bastard Joff.

and that doesn't even begin to reach the depths of how bent his mother is.
that b**** is about as evil as you can be without being the devil.

I have my ex wife in my phone as queen cersei
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #1124
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Are you the same one who thought the nudity, language and violence was excessive and wanted to watch it with the family?

Cant please everyone i guess.
Nope, that wasn't me. I could care less about the language and nudity is always cool in my book. There's enough movies out there made for kids, it's not like they're hurting for good material. If they make some shows for adults and want to show some boobies, I'm down with that.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #1125
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Sansa is by far the most boring character so far to me, Arya is awesome though.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote