The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #101
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
DHS orders nearly 3,000 mine-resistant armored vehicles




http://www.examiner.com/article/dhs-...mored-vehicles
Really, Baja, you're using Gateway Pundit as a source?

Fact Checking: ‘Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks’
Conspiracy mongers are still spreading a lie about DHS “tanks”


Quote:
This week, conspiracy hounds of the internet were set alight by a rumor that President Obama has ordered “2,700 Light-Armored Tanks” for the Department of Homeland Security. Leading the charge was Jim Hoft who runs the blog Gateway Pundit:
Quote:
Update 1: Business Insider confirms this report and DHS is only in possession of 16 MRAP and the USMC getting the 2,717:

An earlier version of this post included a figure of over 2,700 vehicles, as cited from the original RT link. This figure likely comes from a press release from Navistar Defense, mentioning delivery of 2,717 to the U.S. Marine Corps. A DHS Spokesman confirmed with Business Insider that they have only 16 nationwide.

Update 2: Foreign Policy updates their story linking with Business Insider.

As one would expect, tales of DHS buying 2,700 MRAPs from the Army (in reality, DHS only has 16, a fleet that it started building around 2008) inflamed the government conspiracy corners of the blogosphere. Just do a quick Google search of the term DHS MRAP and you can see for yourself.

Update 3: Snopes confirms that DHS will not be receiving 2,700 tanks and has determined this to be FALSE.

A March 2013 claim that the Department of Homeland Security had “purchased 2,700 tanks” for use in the U.S. was based on a year-old (i.e., March 2012) announcement that the DHS had engaged a contractor to install new chassis on a number of Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles that were being returned from deployment in Iraq and Afghanistan…

Update 4: Navistar Press Release.

LISLE, Ill., March 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Navistar Defense, LLC received an award to conduct the installation work associated with its January order to upgrade 2,717 International® MaxxPro® Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles with a new vehicle chassis. The $21 million contract from the U.S. Army Contracting Command is just one of Navistar’s many reset offerings aimed at revitalizing existing defense assets for future missions.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #102
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Fox's Dobbs Pushes Conspiracy That Government Is "Arming Up"
Quote:
Fox's Lou Dobbs hyped the false claim that the Department of Homeland Security bought 2700 light armored vehicles, echoing claims made on fringe conservative blogs. In fact, the order for 2717 new light armored vehicles is coming from the United States Marine Corps -- not the Department of Homeland Security.

On the March 4 edition of Fox Business' Lou Dobbs Tonight, host Lou Dobbs claimed that DHS is buying "2 billion rounds of ammunition" and, "allegedly," "2700 light armored vehicles." Dobbs then asked his guest, NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre, "What in the world is going on as the Homeland Department -- the Department of Homeland Security seems to be arming up and the administration is trying to disarm American citizens?"
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/03...ment-is/192905
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #103
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Really, Baja, you're using Gateway Pundit as a source?

Fact Checking: ‘Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks’
Conspiracy mongers are still spreading a lie about DHS “tanks”
NOPE.

MAINSTREAM MEDIA.



Mad rep to the first person who can photoshop me a picture of Neo, Morpheus and a Gorn driving an MRAP vehicle to go take away people's guns.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #104
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
NOPE.

MAINSTREAM MEDIA.



Mad rep to the first person who can photoshop me a picture of Neo, Morpheus and a Gorn driving an MRAP vehicle to go take away people's guns.
It's a strange day when Baja starts using the looney Right Wing blogs as a 'news' source. A source and story that has been repeatedly debunked.

Very Gaffneyesque!
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #105
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Really, Baja, you're using Gateway Pundit as a source?

Fact Checking: ‘Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks’
Conspiracy mongers are still spreading a lie about DHS “tanks”
The Marine corp bought them you say.

There are several sources saying it is the DHS that bought them. We will see which source has it right. This is not over yet. Are they doing damage control or is it in fact true this is a marine corps purchase? I will continue to follow the story. If my sources are wrong I will admit it. If it turns out your sources are covering up the story will you admit it?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #106
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The Marine corp bought them you say.

There are several sources saying it is the DHS that bought them. We will see which source has it right. This is not over yet. Are they doing damage control or is it in fact true this is a marine corps purchase? I will continue to follow the story. If my sources are wrong I will admit it. If it turns out your sources are covering up the story will you admit it?
Of course I will, it's always about the facts.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #107
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Of course I will, it's always about the facts.
I know you will DB.

just a little frustrated with some of the other posters today..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #108
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

You know all this stuff is a matter of public record here, don't you Baja?

Here's the actual contract for the 2717 vehicles: http://www.defense.gov/contracts/con...ontractid=4701

It's a DoD contract for the Marines. Doesn't even mention the DHS.

Engage your brain, try to think for yourself. Stop just lapping up conspiracy bull**** like a naive child and then regurgitating it here.

As far as I can tell the idea that the DHS bought 2700 of these things is nothing more than a complete fabrication made up to stir up the conspiracy nutters like you. Care to show me some evidence that it's not?

Last edited by Fedaykin; 03-29-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #109
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
You know all this stuff is a matter of public record here, don't you Baja?

Here's the actual contract for the 2717 vehicles: http://www.defense.gov/contracts/con...ontractid=4701

It's a DoD contract for the Marines. Doesn't even mention the DHS.

Engage your brain, try to think for yourself. Stop just lapping up conspiracy bull**** like a naive child and then regurgitating it here.

As far as I can tell the idea that the DHS bought 2700 of these things is nothing more than a complete fabrication made up to stir up the conspiracy nutters like you. Care to show me some evidence that it's not?
MAYBE YOU NOTICED THAT PO WAS FROM JANUARY 9, 2012
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #110
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
MAYBE YOU NOTICED THAT PO WAS FROM JANUARY 9, 2012
It is indeed the contract in question, what's your beef with the date? Just because your nutjob sites keep recycling the story and spinning more bull****, doesn't change the fact that this is a contract for the DoD to upgrade some military equipment, not a contract for the DHS to buy these things.

Try again. Do some actual, real thinking this time. I know you are out of practice, but try anyway. What evidence do you have that the DHS has purchased 2,717 combat vehicles?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #111
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
MAYBE YOU NOTICED THAT PO WAS FROM JANUARY 9, 2012
Yeah and this story first started gaining momentum in August 2012.

You're just a little late to the party.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #112
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
It is indeed the contract in question, what's your beef with the date? Just because your nutjob sites keep recycling the story and spinning more bull****, doesn't change the fact that this is a contract for the DoD to upgrade some military equipment, not a contract for the DHS to buy these things.

Try again. Do some actual, real thinking this time. I know you are out of practice, but try anyway. What evidence do you have that the DHS has purchased 2,717 combat vehicles?

Ya know I want to tell what a pleasure it is conversing with. Your charming personality is slowly winning over. You must be a real charmer in your daily life.


Navistar Defense, L.L.C., Warrenville, Ill., is being awarded an $879,923,195 firm-fixed-priced delivery order 0023 under previously awarded contract (M67854-07-D-5032) for the procurement of 2,717 units of rolling chassis; 10 engineering change proposals; and 25 contract data requirements lists, for MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles. Work will be performed in West Point, Miss., and is expected to be completed by the end of October 2013. Procurement funds in the amount of $879,923,195 will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The original contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity.


This article is about a refit, possibly to accommodate the needs of DHS. The original story I read stated they were going to leave these previously purchased vehicles in Iraq because they were too costly to bring back relative to their value (possibly explains the date of the original purchase) so the plan was to leave them until the DHS decided they wanted them and they were shipped back thus the photos of them on the train in route to their new destination. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on rather or not they are for DHS but I will follow the story until I am satisfied. Until then....
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #113
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Yeah and this story first started gaining momentum in August 2012.

You're just a little late to the party.

Link Colombo
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #114
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Ya know I want to tell what a pleasure it is conversing with. Your charming personality is slowly winning over. You must be a real charmer in your daily life.
Uh oh, Baja no likey!

Quote:
This article is about a refit, possibly to accommodate the needs of DHS. The original story I read stated they were going to leave these previously purchased vehicles in Iraq because they were too costly to bring back relative to their value (possibly explains the date of the original purchase) so the plan was to leave them until the DHS decided they wanted them and they were shipped back thus the photos of them on the train in route to their new destination. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on rather or not they are for DHS but I will follow the story until I am satisfied. Until then....

Ahh, a mysterious, unattributed source. You saw a story, at some time? Awesome! Now I'm convinced!
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Denver Broncos