The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #51
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I don't see that happening, unless they just don't want to pay first round money.
The new cap for rookies eliminates this issue.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #52
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
minter struggled mightily against bama too.
fair enough, like I said I may be ok with Minter at 28 but I really think that the value of the ILBers, outside maybe Ogletree, is in the 2-4th rounds. Arthur Brown seems to be the hot prospect now so he may go before Minter. However, if both Minter and Teo are sitting at 28 and the Broncos take one, I'd prefer Minter.

I think one reason I'm disappointed with Te'o is because he was hyped so much. He was like the next great ILBer and then the off field stuff happened along with the poor game against Bama. Minter on the other hand never got the hype Te'o got so perhaps this is another reason I'm not judging Minter as harshly when it comes to the Bama games. I know the first game of the season between LSU and Bama was a very close game and I think Minter did ok, not great, but ok in that game. Of course the SEC championship game was different.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #53
Bmore Manning

I have always been on board with Te'o. There are some people who just don't physically test well, but when they step on the field they just have it. Te'o is one of these players..

I'm not sure why so many get caught up in 40 times.. 40 time can be improved and coached, it involves much technique. Workout warriors are over rated.. Try tape warriors instead.

But I am curious why sign Bradley of we draft a MLB and guarantee his money. Are Irving and Johnson not much cheaper and quality special teamers?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #54
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Arthur Brown is the guy I want the Broncos to get, but he's likely gone by 28. I like his speed and tackling ability, plus good in coverage. I'd be happy with Te'o though since I think he's a guy teams are talking down hoping he'll fall to them. Carradine is intriguing but coming off and ACL injury, so taking him at 28 is probably not wise unless completely checks out in physicals. The Broncos have had a history or taking injured players and it not working out well.

I like Cyprien and Elam at safety too, though trading down for either would be the better move.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #55
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Arthur Brown is the guy I want the Broncos to get, but he's likely gone by 28. I like his speed and tackling ability, plus good in coverage. I'd be happy with Te'o though since I think he's a guy teams are talking down hoping he'll fall to them. Carradine is intriguing but coming off and ACL injury, so taking him at 28 is probably not wise unless completely checks out in physicals. The Broncos have had a history or taking injured players and it not working out well.

I like Cyprien and Elam at safety too, though trading down for either would be the better move.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #56
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I have always been on board with Te'o. There are some people who just don't physically test well, but when they step on the field they just have it. Te'o is one of these players..

I'm not sure why so many get caught up in 40 times.. 40 time can be improved and coached, it involves much technique. Workout warriors are over rated.. Try tape warriors instead.

But I am curious why sign Bradley of we draft a MLB and guarantee his money. Are Irving and Johnson not much cheaper and quality special teamers?

Speed is something you cannot coach. In the right system, Te'o would be a beast. But considering what we will ask our MLB to do, can he do it? If the answer is no, we should go somewhere else with that pick.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #57
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post

Exactly. Brandon Spikes ran a 5.06 40 and had 92 tackles, 5 FFs and 7 PDs last season as a 4-3 MLB for the Pats.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #58
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I wouldn't mind that. If we couldn't you could much worse than T'eo, but I'm not in love with him as a player. He fits a need and I'd trust Fox and Del Rio to get what they need out of him.

Personally, I think they are serious about letting someone on the roster right now fight it out for the spot at Mike and I think they'll pick someone less need-based.
I wonder if Elway doesn't find a way to get Urlicker to come in on the cheap just to play for a year or possibly 2. He is an upgrade from Brooking and if his knee is right could contribute while they break in Irving/Johnson/draft pick.

I just think the drama around him will be enough for John to want to pass on him. I think Urlicker needs a gig for another year or 2 to cover his child support payments to his baby mommas and if John handles it right JDR could get something out of him on running downs.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #59
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I doubt Teo is going to be a 1st round pick. Obviously tape is more important then combine numbers. But for a position that doesn't carry the same value as QB, OT, DE, DT, CB and WR, for a ILB to go in the 1st round the have to be really special. They should have great tape and have done really well at the combine or their pro day. Teo is a great early to mid 2nd round pick. The only thing I see driving his stock somewhat higher is that this is a very poor draft for ILB.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #60
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Speed is something you cannot coach. In the right system, Te'o would be a beast. But considering what we will ask our MLB to do, can he do it? If the answer is no, we should go somewhere else with that pick.

Certainly agreed.. Any MLB for us will be substituted for WW and DT. So the answer is yes he can do it. Whether that's a need like some of us think or he is BPA at 28, remains to be seen.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #61
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Once again, i'm neutral on Te'o at pick #28, but people keep bringing up the fact that he can't be a three down LB which just seems silly.

If you can stomach the clear marketing ploy (by whomever is poushing Te'o), watch this highlight video which is almost exclusively of his interceptions in zone coverage last season. Keep in mind, many of these QB's throwing the INT's will be on an NFL roster next season.

The music is ghey, and the first minute or two is junk -be forewarned!

From what scouts say it sounds like he has the instincts to be a good player in a zone passing defense scheme. But he may not have the quick twitch change of direction needed to play man to man against stud RB and TE. Thats why we have 3-4 good corners on the team.

I think Broncos could go with TEO but maybe we can trade to top of the 2nd and still get him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #62
Bmore Manning

In our starting defense.. "Base Downs" which are when you see less creative and exotic formations because they are thought to be run downs, only MLB and SS/FS have wholes where a rookie has a chance to come in and start.. RDE on run downs I think Ayers is a quality player..

So it's not too unrealistic to think MLB with a draft pick.. Early or late.. Cause I don't like the way the position looks right now.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #63
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I could also see the Broncos going TE also though. Elway may have plan to build an unstoppable passing game. Shore up oline, hof QB, HOF slot wr, a stud young wr, a very good 2nd young wr already in place. You add a TE that requires defenses to assign a great player to cover him and this offense could be unstoppable. How would you give a safety to help against DT, and still then cover Welker, Decker and a stud TE. Manning would have a great player 1 on 1 whenever he wanted.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #64
Bacchus

I would think there is a 50% chance Denver trades out of the first round.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #65
socalorado
Ring of Famer

What if DEN were to take DE Tank Carradine at 28, then trade back up into the high-mid 2nd and get Minter?
Would that be acceptable?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #66
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
You know, don't be surprised if San Francisco wants to move up. They have loads of draft picks, and we could move down a few spots to the pick they got from KC, and pick up say a 4th round pick in the process.

I sort of like Teo pick, I just highly question it because I don't think he will ever be a franchise MLB. He suddenly sparked last season getting interceptions, which I feel was a fluke, and was decent otherwise but was helped by solid DL play allowing him to make plays.

One guy I'm really starting to warm up to is Lacy. I'd like a real threat in the running game and I feel him and Hillman could be a solid 1-2 punch in the future.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #67
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

That's preposterous.

I have it on good authority that there's a 50% chance Denver keeps the pick.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #68
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
That's preposterous.

I have it on good authority that there's a 50% chance Denver keeps the pick.
Well there is 50% chance you are right.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #69
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

To me the thing with Te'o is that if he's available at 28 there will be a half dozen other players that are roughly equal the same value as he is, why not trade down, get an extra pick and get the same caliber player (maybe even Te'o will be available) and pay them less money... I realize that this is predicated on finding a trading partner but, even if you don't get great value in the trade, it's still better than taking him at 28.
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #70
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I wonder if Elway doesn't find a way to get Urlicker to come in on the cheap just to play for a year or possibly 2. He is an upgrade from Brooking and if his knee is right could contribute while they break in Irving/Johnson/draft pick.

I just think the drama around him will be enough for John to want to pass on him. I think Urlicker needs a gig for another year or 2 to cover his child support payments to his baby mommas and if John handles it right JDR could get something out of him on running downs.
I think they want more range. He's a throwback mike. I know "but we had ancient Brooking here!" And that point is valid, but I think they are looking to get more speed there and get bigger up front.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #71
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Exactly. Brandon Spikes ran a 5.06 40 and had 92 tackles, 5 FFs and 7 PDs last season as a 4-3 MLB for the Pats.
We sadly do not need another strong side linebacker.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #72
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I could also see the Broncos going TE also though. Elway may have plan to build an unstoppable passing game. Shore up oline, hof QB, HOF slot wr, a stud young wr, a very good 2nd young wr already in place. You add a TE that requires defenses to assign a great player to cover him and this offense could be unstoppable. How would you give a safety to help against DT, and still then cover Welker, Decker and a stud TE. Manning would have a great player 1 on 1 whenever he wanted.
The problem with going TE is that you can't get those guys on the field. In a passing situation you are not going to take Decker, Thomas or Welker off for a rookie tight end and Manning is comfortable with Tamme as an outlet, so unless you go empty backfield to get an extra TE on there and have 5 people run routes leaving minimal protection there is just no way to get value. In a running situation there is really not much reason to spend a 1st rounder on a guy who is only going to be used to block in heavy sets.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #73
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Who are you going to take off the field on third and passing downs. We played the Nickel something like 55% of the time last year. So on the majority of our plays he wouldn't be on the field... Unless you think he would get on the field in front of the two LBs that played in the Nickel last year (Von and WWIII).
I like Teo, I just don't think he would play enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Once again, i'm neutral on Te'o at pick #28, but people keep bringing up the fact that he can't be a three down LB which just seems silly.

If you can stomach the clear marketing ploy (by whomever is poushing Te'o), watch this highlight video which is almost exclusively of his interceptions in zone coverage last season. Keep in mind, many of these QB's throwing the INT's will be on an NFL roster next season.

The music is ghey, and the first minute or two is junk -be forewarned!

Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #74
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think it's fluff when the brass indicates they are going to give the job to Nate Irving. Otherwise, they'd at least be kicking the tires on a guy like Dansby instead of signing a guy like Bradley who's clearly no more than a special teams/depth guy, not a legit potential starter. I guess we will know for sure after the draft. If they don't take a MLB prospect in the top 3 rounds, it's pretty much settled that Irving is the plan.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #75
Bmore Manning

Te'o would be at least a two down Mike, and you would think he would be substituted for DT on passing downs..

On our base defense there are only 3 spots where a rookie could potentially start.. MLB (Irving/Bradley? Yuck), SS (Adams/Jail Carter), and FS (I don't want any Moore).

RDE on base downs I think is Ayers job to loose, a situational third down rusher will more than likely be drafted, unless a first round stud falls who can be an every down player..

So that's three spots on defense, MLB, SS, and FS..