The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

When it comes to the front seven, Del Rio has shown his ability to find and develop defensive talent. If he thinks Teo could be an upgrade, it is definitely a position of need and I trust him to do his job.

It would make me feel better to trade down and still ge him in the second round (if they want him), but whatever. I don't see why he wouldn't be our day 1 starter if we drafted him, so why not? We need a long term solution at MLB.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I could see Elway moving down also. Where we are in the draft is right where a QB like Barkley would be a possibility. Maybe some team top of the 2nd gives us a 4th round pick to move up and grab him. Or maybe some CB like Trufant makes it down and because we signed DRC we let some team come up and grab him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
Drunken.Broncoholic

If they want Teo they better trade down out of the 1st. No team is dumb enough to take Teo in the 1st round.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #29
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
When it comes to the front seven, Del Rio has shown his ability to find and develop defensive talent. If he thinks Teo could be an upgrade, it is definitely a position of need and I trust him to do his job.

It would make me feel better to trade down and still ge him in the second round (if they want him), but whatever. I don't see why he wouldn't be our day 1 starter if we drafted him, so why not? We need a long term solution at MLB.
Plus bottom of the first is where the players drop who had problems that scared teams away. Many times its some personal thing like weed, or in TEO's case a strange internet scam. Honestly when you read scouting reports of players you always hear things like lacks strength, or lacks high end speed to do this or that blah blah blah. Football is about instincts, timing, toughness and heart. How much do you think it matter how fast you were at your pro day in the 4th quarter after playing 2 hours in the hot sun. You have been hit so many times in the legs and gut by huge olineman and fullbacks your body is numb. Your feet hurt, your head hurts and your tired.

It's 4-1 and this is it game on the line. At that point in football its about reaching down, remembering your coaching, reading the play, reacting and blowing into the right hole for a run stop. You can run a 3.4 forty yard dash and if you react the wrong direction the play is over, you just lost. You won't recover despite your great speed.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #30
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

With is underwhelming combine and his exposed lack of ability against Bama, he is simply not a first round pick IMHO. I'd much rather the Broncos trade out of the first round than take him.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
Agamemnon

I hope he's wrong. There are going to be much better players available at our pick.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #32
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
With is underwhelming combine and his exposed lack of ability against Bama, he is simply not a first round pick IMHO. I'd much rather the Broncos trade out of the first round than take him.
Just as a side question.

How many collegiate defensive players looked good against Alabama this year? It's a pretty short list. We all know from painful Bronco history that when your defensive line can't win the battle at the line, the linebackers are always exposed. Linebackers will only perform to their potential when the line battle is at least neutral.

I'm not pimping Teo, but stop judging him by his appearance against Alabama. The whole Irish defense got butt-raped by one of the best (and largest) O-lines in college.

If you find a game where his d-line was performing well, then he sucked, it would be an issue. I'm just not hearing that argument from anyone.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
extralife
Ring of Famer

In today's NFL I think a middle linebacker has to be an almost once in a generation kind of guy to be worth taking in the first round.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #34
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 as a WR and it was very apparent it was lower than what he does in pads on the field.

Is it possible Teo might play faster than what his time indicates?

I'm all for drafting Teo. MLB is a need. Rarely does a DT help you right away, a MLB can.
You're talking about a guy who was one of, if not the hardest working, most exceptional competitor in the history of football. Rice was also outstanding in every other area and clearly was the best guy out there on tape.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #35
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Once again, i'm neutral on Te'o at pick #28, but people keep bringing up the fact that he can't be a three down LB which just seems silly.

If you can stomach the clear marketing ploy (by whomever is poushing Te'o), watch this highlight video which is almost exclusively of his interceptions in zone coverage last season. Keep in mind, many of these QB's throwing the INT's will be on an NFL roster next season.

The music is ghey, and the first minute or two is junk -be forewarned!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #36
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I don't see it with him. He looked WAY overmatched against Bama. I think with all the drama surrounding him, Elway won't be jumping into a media-circus similar to what we had w/ Tebow. There's questions about this stupid fake death, his sexuality, his play, his speed, too many issues. Let somebody else be right or wrong on him.
The entire Notre Dame team got pushed around that game. OL don't typically get that kind of down the field work. Te'O is a solid MLB just was not being able to work after bama's OL destroyed his DL.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I'd like him, but I'm skeptical at 28 considering the way our defense is set up right now... and I don't think he gets past the Ravens at 32.

I'd rather take a shot at Margus Hunt... he was at one point a 3rd rounder, but I've literally heard reports that he will go ion the top half of the 1st. Then again, it's basically the same thing we heard about Cordy Glenn last year - a third-rounder, who killed the combine at which point he was a projected top-16 pick, but ended up going in the middle of the second if I recall right.

Strategically, I think a player whose draft stock is on the rise (ie Hunt) more often than not pan out better than player's whose draft stock is on the fall (ie T'eo), even though you're getting better implied value when you draft a falling prospect.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Once again, i'm neutral on Te'o at pick #28, but people keep bringing up the fact that he can't be a three down LB which just seems silly.

If you can stomach the clear marketing ploy (by whomever is poushing Te'o), watch this highlight video which is almost exclusively of his interceptions in zone coverage last season. Keep in mind, many of these QB's throwing the INT's will be on an NFL roster next season.

The music is ghey, and the first minute or two is junk -be forewarned!

Lets break them down:

1. Against Navy (against backup QB Trey Miller, who will never even be signed as a UDFA)
2. Against Michigan (QB Denard Robinson, who will be drafted to the NFL as a WR) Legit coverage interception in zone coverage.
3. Also against Denard Robinson. He is 3 or 4 steps behind in coverage and is lucky an overthrown ball is tipped by another defender.
4. Against BYU (QB Riley Nelson, who is a 5th year senior who will never be in the NFL) Another overthrown pass to a guy who was actually wide open with Teo trailing 3 steps behind in no position to stop the completion, only the bad pass and the bat means this goes to Teo.
5. Against Oklahoma (QB Landry Jones, who will be drafted in a mid to late round this year) A good pass right in the numbers to a guy Teo was not covering but who was quite well covered, the ball pops out and Teo dives on the lose ball.
6. Against Boston College (QB Chase Rettig, who is considered a late round or UDFA prospect in the 2014 draft) Not a well thrown ball, but thrown to a guy who is wide open a full 5 yards in front of Teo in Teo's zone, Manti is lucky that the receiver bobbles the pass and is able to dive on the lose ball.
7. Against USC (QB Max Wittek, a USC freshman and backup QB, currently unprojected by based on recent trends there is reason to suspect he will not have a sterling NFL career although he will certainly be drafted - this is not a projection of his skills but a dig on USC QBs in general) Teo reads the QB and sets in his zone without actually checking if there are any receivers, the QB throws the ball on a timing route but puts it a few yards off to the side right into the bread basket of Teo.

All in all he had 3 coverage interceptions, they came against a guy who is a backup for a guy who won't be drafted, a guy who will be drafted as a WR and a true freshman. The remaining 4 were results of batted passes and either came in situations when the ball wasn't thrown at a guy Teo was covering or was thrown to an open guy Teo was supposed to be covering.

This video is solid evidence that even when cherrypicking highlights Teo doesn't look good in coverage.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I love how people come in rehashing what talking heads say like they are scouts and know how good a player is.

He's too slow to be a 3 down player BS. You know how many linebackers of his speed play on 3rd down? There is a good chance he's a zone defender when it comes to the pass. He may not have from what i have a sudden enough change of direction to play man to man.

welcome to the NFL Von Miller can't play TE 1 on 1 either. TE are 250 pounds and run 4.5's now.

I think the day has come where teams will have to use really special linebackers or dbacks to cover elite TE 1-1. They are more like WR now.

But reading about TEO they say he had a lot of interceptions and shows great football instincts. For a linebacker that is so important. How often did Joe Mays just run to the wrong spot, the wrong hole? Playing a zone defense is about understanding the route tree of your opponent. TEO made too many plays in college to be a player that has no chance in the NFL.
I agree to some point. Man coverage is just hard period. Everybody does always whine about guys not playing good man coverage. Well that's because it's really hard to do. I firmly believe your safeties are your biggest help with seam patterns. The LB can only cover for so long. Let's face it, they're not CB's, the LB's. They cover some, but they're by no means experts at it. The main thing you want your LB to do is read the run lanes correctly and not get caught up in the mix and engulfed by blockers. You want him to tackle really well. You'd like for him to be able to blitz the right way, meaning time it right, read the right place to blitz from, not just run in there to the exact place he was supposed to go only to be picked up by a lineman. They need to have some feel in that regards. I think Teo will be a good LB. Would I take him in the 1st round. Nope. To me, the 1st round is for players that you think are going to be special players, not just solid players. If that's the case, it's your turn to pick late in round 1 and there is nobody you think is going to be a special player, move back if you can, start stacking up picks for those solid guys. Some of them will wash out but the more you have to look at, the more chances you get at hitting on one of them.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #40
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Had enough flava clown situation with Tebow...

pass
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #41
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I can't wait to see the melt down if Denver passes him and either Balt or NE take him.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #42
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

He's tearing this team apart!!!!!

And he's not even on the team yet!!!
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
Tim

If he makes it to #28 and elway takes him i'd be happy,
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #44
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

I see the broncos trading out of the first round
They have one of those at the St. Petersburg Pier.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #45
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Had enough flava clown situation with Tebow...

pass
^^ This. We don't need another circus.

Though it is funny how the mainstream media all got together and immediately shut their mouths about him the very instant the homosexual impulses of his male friend were made public.

If that doesn't show the media don't work in unison to censor and selectively report based on their personal beliefs, what does?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #46
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Just as a side question.

How many collegiate defensive players looked good against Alabama this year? It's a pretty short list. We all know from painful Bronco history that when your defensive line can't win the battle at the line, the linebackers are always exposed. Linebackers will only perform to their potential when the line battle is at least neutral.

I'm not pimping Teo, but stop judging him by his appearance against Alabama. The whole Irish defense got butt-raped by one of the best (and largest) O-lines in college.

If you find a game where his d-line was performing well, then he sucked, it would be an issue. I'm just not hearing that argument from anyone.
LSU played Bama pretty tight in the regular season and I think it was Texas A&M who beat Bama in the regular season. But Bama was dominant in the SEC title game and the Bowl game.

As for Teo, I just don't think he's a good pick at 28. I think Minter may be a good pick there, but not Te'o. For me, if Te'o wanted to convince me he's a first round talent after his fake girlfriend fiasco and his lousy Bama performance, he had to light up the combine, separate himself from the pack so to speak. He didn't.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #47
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I can't wait to see the melt down if Denver passes him and either Balt or NE take him.
Let them, I'll be fine with that.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #48
SlyEli

Quote:
LSU played Bama pretty tight in the regular season and I think it was Texas A&M who beat Bama in the regular season. But Bama was dominant in the SEC title game and the Bowl game.

As for Teo, I just don't think he's a good pick at 28. I think Minter may be a good pick there, but not Te'o. For me, if Te'o wanted to convince me he's a first round talent after his fake girlfriend fiasco and his lousy Bama performance, he had to light up the combine, separate himself from the pack so to speak. He didn't.
minter struggled mightily against bama too.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #49
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Let them, I'll be fine with that.
I'll meltdown if we pick Minter over Teo. Teo had a faster 3 cone (7.13 vs 7.37) and shuttle (4.27 vs 4.47) then Minter and Minter put up his numbers on his home pro day practice field.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #50
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

I agree that Teo isn't a perfect player. I'm pretty much playing devil's advocate in this thread because I am indifferent. I just don't believe all the counter-arguments about how he sucks since he played poorly in one title game against a superior team.

Do I think he can be a good pro? Yes.
Is he worth a first round pick? Not sure.
Do I think he has issues? Obvously. But so do quite a few of these highly paid kids we call professional athletes.

Based on Elways moves so far, I think we pass on Teo if he is there for pick #28. I guess we'll all find out in a couple weeks.