The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #176
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
How about....

1st rd. Carradine or Moore
2nd rd. Kiko Alonso
3rd rd. Darius Slay
4th rd. Stepfan Taylor
I read today that Carradine may go top 15. I think Moore may be there at #28. Also, I see Slay going in Rd #2.

I am not sure I want Taylor at all considering how slow he is. Maybe he will run faster at his pro day (not sure if it already happened).
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #177
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Updated

1.(#28) Desmond Trufant CB, Washington (if he's here, Broncos have to take him)
2.(#58) Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn (Speed rusher with upside)
3.(#90) Jon Bostic, MLB, Florida (if gone then Alonzo)
4.(#125) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina (I doubt he's here for the taking)
5.(#161) Josh Boyce, WR, TCU (due to speed, I doubt he's here)
7.(#234) Earl Wolff, S, NC State (has speed, likes to hit people)
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #178
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Me being a Seminoles fan....
I thought as much
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #179
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I'm starting to warm up to Lacy, but need to watch more of him. Fox has taken backs high before, so I wouldn't doubt him believing a guy like Lacy (who would be thunder here) is what we need for the offense to become ridiculously awesome.
I have no idea why some on here don't like Lacy. I've heard them say that anybody could run through holes the size that he had to run through. Well, he did have some nice lanes but there is plenty of tape on him where he had to do alot of stuff on his own. Watch this clip. You'll see good vision, nice nimble feet, some spin moves, cutback all the across the line, broken tackles and good speed for a guy that physical and big.

If Lacy is there in the 1st - sorry but you GET HIM. I think he will be there. I thought he was projected late 1st early 2nd. So we have a lagit shot at him.

That last play on this cut - he catches that dump pass and look at that spin move full speed for the TD. That was sick.

Last edited by ZONA; 03-27-2013 at 01:22 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #180
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I have no idea why some on here don't like Lacy. I've heard them say that anybody could run through holes the size that he had to run through. Well, he did have some nice lanes but there is plenty of tape on him where he had to do alot of stuff on his own. Watch this clip. You'll see good vision, nice nimble feet, some spin moves, cutback all the across the line, broken tackles and good speed for a guy that physical and big.

If Lacy is there in the 1st - sorry but you GET HIM. I think he will be there. I thought he was projected late 1st early 2nd. So we have a lagit shot at him.

He doesn't look fast and is he going to be able to stiff arm in the NFL?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #181
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
He's fast enough. I'm guessing you didn't watch the tape. Is he Bo Jackson. No, but neither was TD and look what kind of runner he was. This speed thing everybody keeps hapring on so overrated. He's just as fast as the other "big backs". And honestly, I don't see him stiff arm all that much. He's more of a cover the ball and lower the shoulder guy. Watch the tape, you'll see excellent feet and vision. He likes to get it going forward and doesn't dance around all day. He'll be an excellent pro. We've already got the speed guy in Hillman. We're looking for that physical runner with size who can do it all. That is Lacy.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #182
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
What worries me is his reliance on the stutter step, that very rarely leads to anything but a loss of yards in the NFL as Laurence Maroney demonstrated so many times in his failed stint in Denver.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #183
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

That last play on this cut - he catches that dump pass and look at that spin move full speed for the TD. That was sick.
Lacy is an interesting prospect. From what little I've seen of him I think he has good footwork, very little wasted motion. He's hard to bring down, he has a good burst. Does he have good vision? That's hard to know because he is working with real good offensive line. When those gaps narrow, will he still be able to find the lanes?

Let me put it this way, if Lacy is there at 28 and Trufant is there at 28, I still take Trufant because I think you can get a good RB later. It's just not really necessary to spend a first round pick on a RB and it's very unclear right now if Lacy is anything super special, or if he will just be a solid RB but nothing more. He might be a special RB, then again, he might not.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #184
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
What worries me is his reliance on the stutter step, that very rarely leads to anything but a loss of yards in the NFL as Laurence Maroney demonstrated so many times in his failed stint in Denver.
It just depends on the back. You have to stutter step sometimes as you are reading the blocks. There's never been a RB to play the game that didn't use it here or there. It's part of the game. If the lane where you were supposed to run to isn't there, that's when you see backs use the stutter step. Rather then stopping flat out or running into the back of their linemen. They keep their feet moving as it's easier to get going again when they read or see some other place to go. I don't see him over use this at all. When there's a gap, he's hitting it hard and fast. I watched alot of Alabama games and I don't see much weakness in the mans game at all. And he played in the best conference in college football, where a ton of pros come from so it's not like some small lame conference player going against weak competition and you wonder how he would play against NFL level players.

I still like the idea of moving back out of the 1st round if Lacy is gone. But if he's there. This is a guy who can have immediate impact this year.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #185
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Lacy is an interesting prospect. From what little I've seen of him I think he has good footwork, very little wasted motion. He's hard to bring down, he has a good burst. Does he have good vision? That's hard to know because he is working with real good offensive line. When those gaps narrow, will he still be able to find the lanes?

Let me put it this way, if Lacy is there at 28 and Trufant is there at 28, I still take Trufant because I think you can get a good RB later. It's just not really necessary to spend a first round pick on a RB and it's very unclear right now if Lacy is anything super special, or if he will just be a solid RB but nothing more. He might be a special RB, then again, he might not.
Well the same could be said about any position. Trufant could end up being the next PacMan or any number of under achieving CB's. But what you do know, is that Lacy played in a pro style offense, played against the best players in the nation, many of whom will be pros themself one day. And for running through super tight lanes, the clip shows that's what he can do. In fact, he really hustles through those tight gaps very well. I just think at the NFL level, backs who can break tackles are special. Anybody can run to daylight but in the NFL, you will get defenders on you faster then in college so IMO, you better be a back that can break tackles because if you can't, you will be ordinary.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #186
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
It just depends on the back. You have to stutter step sometimes as you are reading the blocks. There's never been a RB to play the game that didn't use it here or there. It's part of the game. If the lane where you were supposed to run to isn't there, that's when you see backs use the stutter step. Rather then stopping flat out or running into the back of their linemen. They keep their feet moving as it's easier to get going again when they read or see some other place to go. I don't see him over use this at all. When there's a gap, he's hitting it hard and fast. I watched alot of Alabama games and I don't see much weakness in the mans game at all. And he played in the best conference in college football, where a ton of pros come from so it's not like some small lame conference player going against weak competition and you wonder how he would play against NFL level players.

I still like the idea of moving back out of the 1st round if Lacy is gone. But if he's there. This is a guy who can have immediate impact this year.
You will see guys like Jones-Drew and Ray Rice start out slower if the play isn't there yet and then switch gear when they see the opening. Lacy is going full speed before he realizes the gap isn't there yet and then stutters losing all his forward momentum.

As for the SEC, that is a BS claim, there are nearly 1000 players in the SEC, and less than 10% of them will be NFL players. That rate might be higher than the big 12, but there is still a BIG leap from the SEC to the NFL - that has been demonstrated every single year when people who used to star in the SEC *cough*Tebow*cough* completely flame out in the pro game.

I do like Lacy, he is one of the players I think we are likely to target in the 1st round and I am not opposed to it, he would complement Hillman well, but I am not expecting him to be a Ray Rice, Jones-Drew or Peterson type impact runner.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #187
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

T'eo is going to be the pick. So I hope they go Safety, RB, DE, DE. In that order.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #188
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
You will see guys like Jones-Drew and Ray Rice start out slower if the play isn't there yet and then switch gear when they see the opening. Lacy is going full speed before he realizes the gap isn't there yet and then stutters losing all his forward momentum.

As for the SEC, that is a BS claim, there are nearly 1000 players in the SEC, and less than 10% of them will be NFL players. That rate might be higher than the big 12, but there is still a BIG leap from the SEC to the NFL - that has been demonstrated every single year when people who used to star in the SEC *cough*Tebow*cough* completely flame out in the pro game.

I do like Lacy, he is one of the players I think we are likely to target in the 1st round and I am not opposed to it, he would complement Hillman well, but I am not expecting him to be a Ray Rice, Jones-Drew or Peterson type impact runner.

What's BS about what I said about the SEC?

* I said it's the best conference in college football - and that's true
* I said a ton of players from that conference are drafted - and that's true

I don't think I said anything close to the fact that most NFL players come from the SEC. I said a ton of guys in the NFL are from the SEC. And that is true. The overall talent from team to team is the best in the SEC. I think we all see that. That doesn't mean they're aren't great players anywhere else. I never said that.

And you may not expect Lacy to be as good as Ray Rice. But then who thought Ray Rice would be Ray Rice when he was drafted? Who thought TD was end up being as special as he was. You can't really forecast how well a guy is going to turn out, not for any position. So I don't know what makes you say Lacy can't turn out to be as good a player as Ray Rice.

Last edited by ZONA; 03-27-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #189
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Well the same could be said about any position. Trufant could end up being the next PacMan or any number of under achieving CB's. But what you do know, is that Lacy played in a pro style offense, played against the best players in the nation, many of whom will be pros themself one day. And for running through super tight lanes, the clip shows that's what he can do. In fact, he really hustles through those tight gaps very well. I just think at the NFL level, backs who can break tackles are special. Anybody can run to daylight but in the NFL, you will get defenders on you faster then in college so IMO, you better be a back that can break tackles because if you can't, you will be ordinary.
I understand what you are saying and you think Lacy will be a special RB which is fine, all I'm saying is I'm not so sure he will be but he looks to have some good skills. My point about Trufant is that it's just much harder to find a good CB than it is a good RB. I like Trufant because he's disiplined, he too has a proven record in college as I think he played 3 years, he's got speed, he has decent size too and yes, he may very well be sitting at there when the Broncos pick at 28, which is fantastic. In mock drafts I've seen Trufant go as high as in the teens and as low as 30 in the first round.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #190
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
What's BS about what I said about the SEC?

* I said it's the best conference in college football - and that's true
* I said a ton of players from that conference are drafted - and that's true

I don't think I said anything close to the fact that most NFL players come from the SEC. I said a ton of guys in the NFL are from the SEC. And that is true. The overall talent from team to team is the best in the SEC. I think we all see that. That doesn't mean they're aren't great players anywhere else. I never said that.

And you may not expect Lacy to be as good as Ray Rice. But then who thought Ray Rice would be Ray Rice when he was drafted? Who thought TD was end up being as special as he was. You can't really forecast how well a guy is going to turn out, not for any position. So I don't know what makes you say Lacy can't turn out to be as good a player as Ray Rice.
It is the best, but less than 10% of the players go on to be starters in the NFL.

Quote:
And he played in the best conference in college football, where a ton of pros come from so it's not like some small lame conference player going against weak competition and you wonder how he would play against NFL level players.
You clearly implied that because he played in the SEC his production can be projected to the NFL level which is just not true.

The reason I don't think Lacy will be as much of an impact player as Rice is that I don't think he is better at anything than any current RB in the league. He is not as fast as several players, his power is not above and beyond that of some current players, he is clearly not as shifty a runner. He has a nice combination of power, size and speed and as a runner he reminds me a bit of Marshawn Lynch.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #191
SlyEli

Quote:

this is a silly statement
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #192
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I understand what you are saying and you think Lacy will be a special RB which is fine, all I'm saying is I'm not so sure he will be but he looks to have some good skills. My point about Trufant is that it's just much harder to find a good CB than it is a good RB. I like Trufant because he's disiplined, he too has a proven record in college as I think he played 3 years, he's got speed, he has decent size too and yes, he may very well be sitting at there when the Broncos pick at 28, which is fantastic. In mock drafts I've seen Trufant go as high as in the teens and as low as 30 in the first round.
I would, in most circumstances agree with you. I think normally you DO pick the CB because they're value is always higher, because as you said, that's a harder position to find somebody who can produce at a high level.

But we have to be totally honest here. This is sort of a special window we have here. You have a HOF QB who is going to retire most likely in 2 years. I know you always want to draft BPA and all that stuff and that's how you build the team for the future. But I think this year you have to sorta think a little differently. With Bailey and Rodgers, I don't think Trufant would have as large an impact as Lacy would. If this were 2 years from now, hell yes I would go for Trufant 1st. But this year, knowing the backs we have now are old and always injured, and with Manning having such a small window, I go with the best RB I think I can get, as early as you can get, as long as it's close to where you have him on your board.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #193
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
1st off that is crap. No back is going full speed 2 steps after a hand off. So therefor Lacy could not be going full speed by that time. And there's really no difference in the delay step vs the stutter step. It's just a preference in style. Then end result is you are just stalling for a moment to look and read.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #194
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All I know is that I hope we take Lattimore somewhere in the 3rd or 4th
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #195
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I would, in most circumstances agree with you. I think normally you DO pick the CB because they're value is always higher, because as you said, that's a harder position to find somebody who can produce at a high level.

But we have to be totally honest here. This is sort of a special window we have here. You have a HOF QB who is going to retire most likely in 2 years. I know you always want to draft BPA and all that stuff and that's how you build the team for the future. But I think this year you have to sorta think a little differently. With Bailey and Rodgers, I don't think Trufant would have as large an impact as Lacy would. If this were 2 years from now, hell yes I would go for Trufant 1st. But this year, knowing the backs we have now are old and always injured, and with Manning having such a small window, I go with the best RB I think I can get, as early as you can get, as long as it's close to where you have him on your board.
fair enough, I agree in principle. Also, the Broncos do have DRC...
Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #196
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
All I know is that I hope we take Lattimore somewhere in the 3rd or 4th
Marcus Lattimore - RB - PlayerSouth Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore (knee surgeries) worked out for reps from all 32 teams on Wednesday, and the room "burst into applause when he was done."It would appear the reports of Lattimore's miraculous recovery have not been exaggerated. He's still in a race against time to be ready for Week 1, but has "no doubt" he'll be ready some time in the first half of the season. Lattimore will be one of the more vexing conundrums for teams in April's draft. He's far from a lock to go before day three.

Just get him in the 2nd.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #197
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Marcus Lattimore - RB - PlayerSouth Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore (knee surgeries) worked out for reps from all 32 teams on Wednesday, and the room "burst into applause when he was done."It would appear the reports of Lattimore's miraculous recovery have not been exaggerated. He's still in a race against time to be ready for Week 1, but has "no doubt" he'll be ready some time in the first half of the season. Lattimore will be one of the more vexing conundrums for teams in April's draft. He's far from a lock to go before day three.

Just get him in the 2nd.
No Way.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #198
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
No Way.
Yes way.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #199
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I thought as much
If you don't have any quality analysis on Elam to add to the thread, stay out of it. I realize that you are usually devoid of any quality opinion on football, but don't trash the thread for the rest of us.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #200
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post

Just get him in the 2nd.
I could live with that! But I also want Kiko Alonzo so bad in the 2nd.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote