The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #1476
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Is this the deepest discussion about a 5th round pick in Omane draft history?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #1477
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Dawkins appears to be solid value at this point. I think he's a JAG though. Probably a career subpackage guy. We've seen some insanely productive DTs go through FSU, he's not one of them. Still, if you can get a wave DT that offers some pass rush value in the 6th round, that's a win. My gripe would be there are a few DTs still remaining I'd rather take a flier on.



The Bass selection is interesting. He was someone I was actually looking at as a draftable option for the Broncos. I'm not sure of his exact draft value, but I think it's solid here. He's another guy I would have liked to see Denver draft instead of Gholston. I was spending time on him today, and I was thinking 6th/7th Round, but that production combined with good arm length, a 4.69 at his Pro Day, which probably improves on his excellent 1.67 10 yard burst from the Combine, and his solid strength.... He's about as good as it gets for a super small school guy. Maybe he has a shot at the late mid-rounds. That level of competition is non-existant though, so perhaps not. The fact he apparently showed well at E/W is a boon though.

Regardless, the pick is solid at this point. There are some other guys I still like as options as well that maybe aren't as risky, but their potential might not be as high either. He's a guy that could get a fanbase excited as a later selection because there is that potential due to his measureables and production. These extremely small school superstars seldom work out though, so expetations must be tempered.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #1478
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Is this the deepest discussion about a 5th round pick in Omane draft history?
Sorry. I tend to be long-winded on all the draft prospects. When I find someone that's pretty informed and willing to engage in discussion, I salivate like a dog after a steak. And if that person's opinion and thought process differs from mine, then I really become intrigued as I must understand why we are seeing different things. I do the same thing as an attorney. Judges don't really like me, which unfortunately, is a bad thing. I just like understanding where people are coming from when they disagree with a conclusion I've put a lot of work into forming. It's part of being an obsessive perfectionist that never wants to overlook a thought process or point of view.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #1479
jebures
Ring of Famer
 
jebures's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Just reading up on some of my old Phil Steele College Previews. Eric Fisher was the 498th ranked OL coming out of high school. He really made something of himself.
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1480
jebures
Ring of Famer
 
jebures's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
"Small, slow, and coming off injuries is no way to go through life, son."

jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #1481
jebures
Ring of Famer
 
jebures's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
Just reading up on some of my old Phil Steele College Previews. Eric Fisher was the 498th ranked OL coming out of high school. He really made something of himself.
Jonathan Cyprien was DB #566, wow
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #1482
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

LOVE the J.C. Tretter pick -- if I hadn't already taken two interior line prospects in the 2nd and 4th, I would have been delighted to scoop him up in the 5th. I think he'll need a season or two to acclimate to the pro game, but has both the physical and mental tools to be a 10-year starter in the league.

Nice pick, Drunken.Broncoholic!
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #1483
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
LOVE the J.C. Tretter pick -- if I hadn't already taken two interior line prospects in the 2nd and 4th, I would have been delighted to scoop him up in the 5th. I think he'll need a season or two to acclimate to the pro game, but has both the physical and mental tools to be a 10-year starter in the league.

Nice pick, Drunken.Broncoholic!
Thanks! Ya time will tell coming from the Ivy it's harder to gauge how he'll do. He seems to have alot of upside especially moving inside
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #1484
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Oakland

I like Marc Anthony at this point. Strong selection for a team needing secondary help. He probably could have gone a little earlier, but there have to be concerns about his speed. Love that Oakland drafts a slow corner. I feel like the world is going to explode. The guy is an absolute football player though and if he fails at CB, there's no doubt, in my mind at least, he could function at Safety. There's a place for him in that backfield. He's a polarizing prospect. Some view him as an option as early as the Late 3rd, some like him much later. I like him starting in the 5th Round assuming the CBs get drafted in the order my head tells me they will. In this draft, he was definitely one of the best options remaining. Good selection.


Cleveland

Tretter is interesting as a small school guy. A lot of traits similar to Zane Beadles. I'm curious to see if maybe he can play OC. If so, in this draft, it would increase his draft value probably by a full round. I'm okay with him in the 6th, but I don't love it (unless he looks adept at OC, then I love it). The OL talent is really picked over, so if you needed one, I get the selection as he is one of the very best left, especially in terms of upside and versatility. Cleveland doesn't have a whole mountain of draft needs, so I think it's a quality selection.


Arizona

Draft value on Gragg is good as long as the knee is sound. Reminds me of Owen Daniels but with some James Casey mixed in. Interesting selection with Housler being talked up so extensively by Arians. There is some overlap here as both are primarily receiving threats and offer average at best blocking. Still, he's an explosive guy, always good to get in these late rounds, and he can be used in different ways on offense, hence the James Casey reference. I like him quite a bit as a Swiss Army Knife type guy that can stress a defense.


I'm on board with all of these. Solid selections.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 03-27-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #1485
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Sorry. I tend to be long-winded on all the draft prospects. When I find someone that's pretty informed and willing to engage in discussion, I salivate like a dog after a steak. And if that person's opinion and thought process differs from mine, then I really become intrigued as I must understand why we are seeing different things. I do the same thing as an attorney. Judges don't really like me, which unfortunately, is a bad thing. I just like understanding where people are coming from when they disagree with a conclusion I've put a lot of work into forming. It's part of being an obsessive perfectionist that never wants to overlook a thought process or point of view.
I am the same way MUG! I am a consultant who specializes in change management. I deal with new clients, people, and situations daily. I help manage major changes at the personal level for companies, so I have to help people see the value in the change and get them to buy in. Therefore, the mediator screen name which came from being a therapist for years.

To me, the process of the draft is a hobby and a fascination. I also like to see why people like or dislike a player because I am constantly refining the evaluation process. I keep draft books and notes going back to 2005. I loved Sherman coming out, but someone nabbed him right in front of me in the draft as I was trying to get actual draft position value for him. He was one who got away, but I remember having this same kind of discussion about him with another poster at that time as well.

All I can say is we will be watching these 2 CB's for years!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #1486
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Is this the deepest discussion about a 5th round pick in Omane draft history?
No. But it could be in the sixth!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #1487
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Arizona

Draft value on Gragg is good as long as the knee is sound. Reminds me of Owen Daniels but with some James Casey mixed in. Interesting selection with Housler being talked up so extensively by Arians. There is some overlap here as both are primarily receiving threats and offer average at best blocking. Still, he's an explosive guy, always good to get in these late rounds, and he can be used in different ways on offense, hence the James Casey reference. I like him quite a bit as a Swiss Army Knife type guy that can stress a defense.


I'm on board with all of these. Solid selections.
The position is too important for our young QBs development (Barkley) to rely on King and Housler.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #1488
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
The position is too important for our young QBs development (Barkley) to rely on King and Housler.
I am looking to move up in the sixth if you wanted an extra pick..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #1489
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,149

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Duke Williams finally goes off the board. Should have happened two rounds ago. Fantastic selection. I also think of Barnes gets motivated and loses some weight, he will be a good player. DUKE WILLIAMS STEAL OF THE ROUND.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #1490
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Duke Williams finally goes off the board. Should have happened two rounds ago. Fantastic selection. I also think of Barnes gets motivated and loses some weight, he will be a good player. DUKE WILLIAMS STEAL OF THE ROUND.
Ha ya I had to put that pic of him blowin up Curry off a screen pass. Dude accelerates to the ball/player pretty dam quick
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #1491
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

Duke Williams?

Meh.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #1492
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

I do like Duke Williams, and I tend to side with Req that he was excellent value this late. Simon is the steal of the round for me, but I think Williams went a round or so later than he likely will. His athleticism is well known, he's a big time hitter, and I think his size is adequate. At worst, he can function as a subpackage type, which is extremely valuable in today's passing league. A few off-field issues, but this is a really nice pick to me this late in the draft. I was thinking of trying to move up for him, probably along with everyone else.


TJ Barnes is good value here. I like him in the 5th round for any 34 team, so this made a ton of sense. There aren't a lot of men this size, and he has some degree of athleticism for being that huge. He's still pretty raw, he's always been heavily rotated, but he should fit in adequately in the same role behind Dan Williams and on short yardage downs. I think he has some developmental upside as well. He'll never be more than a 2 down plugger at best, but I could see him starting in that role in three years.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #1493
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I do like Duke Williams, and I tend to side with Req that he was excellent value this late. Simon is the steal of the round for me, but I think Williams went a round or so later than he likely will. His athleticism is well known, he's a big time hitter, and I think his size is adequate. At worst, he can function as a subpackage type, which is extremely valuable in today's passing league. A few off-field issues, but this is a really nice pick to me this late in the draft. I was thinking of trying to move up for him, probably along with everyone else.
Nice post. He should be able to get to those Flacco floaters
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #1494
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Bills just took Joseph Fauria whom is pretty much a clone of Scott Chandler. They probably needed more of a slot/receiving TE with speed to stretch the field. There were some better options out there I feel. At least now though, if Chandler struggles in his rehab from his ACL surgery, they'll have a clone to replace him. I just worry about when both guys are healthy. Outside of maybe some creative red zone packages, I'm not sure what you do with the same limited style of TE.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #1495
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Just realized I'm all done.

Cardinals draft results:

1-07 (07): Arizona (TheReverend)- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
-Team solidifies the OL by nabbing one of the best T prospects in a long time
2-06 (38): Arizona (TheReverend)- Matt Barkley, QB, USC
-Team lands QBOTF by landing a high first round QB at the start of the second (he's minutes away from blowing up his Pro Day in a good way)
3-07 (69): Arizona (TheReverend)- Robert Alford, CB, SELU
-Between Peterson, Cason and Fleming, this creates the best and deepest young group of CBs in the league.
4-06 (103): Arizona (TheReverend)- David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado
-Kick into guard and can immediately plug in as a starter with his skillset
5-07 (140): Arizona (TheReverend)- Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State
-Good rotational player behind Campbell and Dockett with a ton of upside
6-06 (174): Arizona (TheReverend)- Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas
-Great measurables and a ton of upside. Drafted to help Barkley develop, his floor is as a special teams asset.
6-08 (176): Arizona (TheReverend)- T.J. Barnes, DT, Georgia Tech
-Great measurables and a ton of upside. Can rotate with Dan Williams, but may take time to develop. First year PS candidate.

Too hit or miss, you say? Nonsense. In a division that has two of the best teams in the league in an arms race and the other one is undergoing a rapid rebuild with a fringe HoF coach, you need to be aggressive and get this train rolling in the right direction. I expect 4 to make large immediate contributions and 6 to be contributing members of the roster in this first year.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #1496
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Jets with a pretty solid selection with Dysert, pretty much the clear top QB prospect still on the board. Draft value is really good as it has been with all the QBs in this thing. He'll probably go in the 4th or 5th round. Very strong selection.


Also like the Chargers selection of Brandon McGee. He came on pretty strong his final year at Miami and tested ridiculously well at the Combine. So, nice size and great athleticism. Well worth the selection at this point. Probably goes in the early 5th in the real draft. Another very strong selection IMO.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #1497
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Just realized I'm all done.

Cardinals draft results:

1-07 (07): Arizona (TheReverend)- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
-Team solidifies the OL by nabbing one of the best T prospects in a long time
2-06 (38): Arizona (TheReverend)- Matt Barkley, QB, USC
-Team lands QBOTF by landing a high first round QB at the start of the second (he's minutes away from blowing up his Pro Day in a good way)
3-07 (69): Arizona (TheReverend)- Robert Alford, CB, SELU
-Between Peterson, Cason and Fleming, this creates the best and deepest young group of CBs in the league.
4-06 (103): Arizona (TheReverend)- David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado
-Kick into guard and can immediately plug in as a starter with his skillset
5-07 (140): Arizona (TheReverend)- Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State
-Good rotational player behind Campbell and Dockett with a ton of upside
6-06 (174): Arizona (TheReverend)- Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas
-Great measurables and a ton of upside. Drafted to help Barkley develop, his floor is as a special teams asset.
6-08 (176): Arizona (TheReverend)- T.J. Barnes, DT, Georgia Tech
-Great measurables and a ton of upside. Can rotate with Dan Williams, but may take time to develop. First year PS candidate.

Too hit or miss, you say? Nonsense. In a division that has two of the best teams in the league in an arms race and the other one is undergoing a rapid rebuild with a fringe HoF coach, you need to be aggressive and get this train rolling in the right direction. I expect 4 to make large immediate contributions and 6 to be contributing members of the roster in this first year.

Solid draft. I think you got good value throughout. Still not sure about Barkley, especially with Arians, but who knows. I think nabbing Fisher in Round 1 is a best case scenario. That's probably my favorite pick. You don't really have a bad pick, so I guess I'd be the most nervous with Alford in the early 3rd but that's mostly because I tend to shy away from the very small school prospects. I know you like him a lot, so we'll see how that works out over time. Looks like a solid, workmanship style draft overall. Which is exactly what winning teams need.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #1498
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Duke Williams finally goes off the board. Should have happened two rounds ago. Fantastic selection. I also think of Barnes gets motivated and loses some weight, he will be a good player. DUKE WILLIAMS STEAL OF THE ROUND.
Also a fan of Duke Williams, it was a hard decision between him and Commings. In the end, I think Commings will be a better value, not necessarily the better player. Was hoping he would make it to 6th
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #1499
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,432

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I have no doubt that Barkley will go in the first round. Probably quite a bit higher than many people think. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Woods in there as well.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #1500
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

1st Chance Warmack OG
2nd The Honeybadger CB
3rd Logan Ryan CB
4th Oday Aboushi OT
4th Jelani Jenkins OLB
5th Devin Taylor DE
6th David Bass DE
6th Denard Robinson ATH

I must love me some SEC players.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Denver Broncos