The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #1001
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You could not pay me enough to be 25 again unless of course I would retain what I know now and continue to build on that life experience.
Me, too. I wouldn't want to go through all that again.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #1002
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Moral to the story:

Don't ever, ever, ever seek long term relationships with a crazy woman
Really dude?
Jason in LA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #1003
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Sorry it came out this way. I couldn't imagine there were no warning signs in there early on.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #1004
jerseyboiler120

I missed this one for the first 11 pages. But at the age of 44 I've moved more times than anyone I've ever met. Long distance moves too. I've done it for work I've done it for what I thought was love. Couple thoughts:

I've had my share of women who seemed to not be able to get the right break work wise. This usually means they're not trying, and are looking ultimately to be taken care of, especially if they already have a kid.

Trying to get a job in another state is extremely difficult since the economy tanked. They won't even look at your résumé once they see its out of state; they do it want to cover any relo costs when they have literally thousands of candidates within a few miles. I've tried this one both ways and in good and bad job markets.

Lemme know if you wanna hear more.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1005
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
plus, he would be 25 and drunk and forget what he learned in the future.

I made good decisions at 25 and while there are some I would change in a heartbeat, I wouldn't want to take that chance and screw it all up. Live and learn. Only thing with the OP is he got some great advice and decided not to take it. I hope those, like Baja, realized how wrong they were when they first gave out their horrible experiences to screw this young lad up.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/search....5&pp=35&page=2
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #1006
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
IMoral to the story:
Everything happens for a reason(I have a gorgeous, wonderful, amazing daughter)
I thought it would be don't knock up a crazy woman.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #1007
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
I moved out to California with a girl...she stopped paying rent because she got fired, then I found out she cheated on me with a neighbor. I called a moving company to pack everything I owned the next day (all the furniture, dishes, bed set, etc..) and drove home immediately. Didn't regret the move or the experience but at a certain point you have to know when to fold your hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
first person I called was my father when I found out...he said point blank what he would do...i followed suit and it was the best thing I ever did...no drama, no police, no fighting nothing....just a nice long cross country drive with my dog to mentally untangle myself...got home and was ready to rock 3 days laters
The thing that makes this story work so well is that there was no kid involved. So it was an easy and clean break. That's one reason why so many of us adviced the TheChamp24 not to knock this woman up. It makes for an extremely messy break up.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #1008
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
The thing that makes this story work so well is that there was no kid involved. So it was an easy and clean break. That's one reason why so many of us adviced the TheChamp24 not to knock this woman up. It makes for an extremely messy break up.
I don't feel like going back though this thread but didn't TheGimp24 admit that this child might not even be his? Then he refused a test to find out? Now he's saying "I have a beautiful kid, thanks to crazy woman, so it's all worth it." I'm calling BS.

This guy is playing us, but it's funny nonetheless.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #1009
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I don't feel like going back though this thread but didn't TheGimp24 admit that this child might not even be his? Then he refused a test to find out? Now he's saying "I have a beautiful kid, thanks to crazy woman, so it's all worth it." I'm calling BS.

This guy is playing us, but it's funny nonetheless.
I'm on the fence on whether or not this story is true. I actually find it believable, but it is unbelievable that somebody would post it on the internet, and then continue to give updates. Each update makes the story even worse.

A number of us have been with crazy women who made fools out of us (not to the extent of what the OP says he went through). How many of us would give the details of how bad a woman did us?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #1010
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I'm on the fence on whether or not this story is true. I actually find it believable, but it is unbelievable that somebody would post it on the internet, and then continue to give updates. Each update makes the story even worse.

A number of us have been with crazy women who made fools out of us (not to the extent of what the OP says he went through). How many of us would give the details of how bad a woman did us?
Its not that atypical. Putting it on the internet in this form compartmentalizes it and makes it a story that he can distance himself from. After going through that kind of thing, you need an outlet. While I, personally, wouldn't go this route, its still a relatively safe way of dealing with it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #1011
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Front page quote you wish you didn't say! So many right and wrong.

Nothing to lose? correct except your dignity, freedom, brain, money, etc. You gain a headache, parental responsibilities all alone, debt, etc.

Great advice their Dear Abby.
You can walk up to the edge of the Grand Canyon but that doesn't mean you have to keep walking over the edge. Trusting the gut and taking a plunge into a new adventure isn't always a bad thing. You just have to not be so naive as to keep digging deeper when you realize that it wasn't the right decision.

All that said, it was definitely more fun when the pile on happened. I won't deny that, at all.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #1012
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Its not that atypical. Putting it on the internet in this form compartmentalizes it and makes it a story that he can distance himself from. After going through that kind of thing, you need an outlet. While I, personally, wouldn't go this route, its still a relatively safe way of dealing with it.
I don't think it's even that complicated. I think it's just attention whoring. Remember how many times MightySmurf came on to tell us about the poon he almost got? He and the OP became instant OM memes and were community celebrities.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #1013
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Some people never see the forest through the trees
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #1014
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Actually, when I was starting on the custody case, my lawyer suggested a paternity test. Well, I looked into it, and they are, for the court acceptance, around $1,000-$1,500. I fully believe this is my daughter, I love her, she does have some resemblance to me.
Is there a chance its not mine? Yes, there is a chance. But there is more evidence pointing to its mine, than not. And upon winning the custody case, one of the things that was established was me being the child's father. My name is on the birth certificate.
That makes me cringe. A test is about $400. I'm not sure what level of testing that the courts need, but you can find out one way or the other for much cheaper than $1,000.

I'm not sure if you're afraid of the answer, but it is something that you should know. If the child isn't yours, you can still raise the child and not tell anybody that you had the test done.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #1015
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I don't think it's even that complicated. I think it's just attention whoring. Remember how many times MightySmurf came on to tell us about the poon he almost got? He and the OP became instant OM memes and were community celebrities.
Probably a little bit of both!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #1016
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Yeah, but are you positive she's the mother?
Damn, that was mind blowing for a second. lol
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #1017
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Nothing to lose? Just one of so many ****ed up replies given to him. You are all co-dependent at fault. So much failure and even though I gave the correct advice, maybe a few pages too late (with Jason from LA). If you don't know Leykis, married to be or not, figure out some of the rules and then you can GTFO! Leykis 100 ... google it!

Leykis 101 could have saved this guy. But he probably would not have listened to that advice. Is Leykis ever going to get back on the air?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #1018
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Leykis 101 could have saved this guy. But he probably would not have listened to that advice. Is Leykis ever going to get back on the air?

Tom Leykis returns — over the Internet
The shock jock, who used to be on KLSX-FM, has brought his show back online with minimal staff and resources. This could be the future of radio.

July 01, 2012|By Steve Carney, Special to the Los Angeles Times

Tom Leykis, the shock jock sidelined for more than three years after his radio station dropped talk for pop music, is infamous for persuading women to lift their tops and for coaching men to spend as little money as possible on dates. Critics dubbed him a Neanderthal. Now he's being called a revolutionary.

Silenced by the changeover at KLSX-FM (97.1) in February 2009, Leykis has resurrected his show online with a shoestring operation that he believes can take on the radio conglomerates — the latest in a cadre of stars staking out new territory for themselves.

"My job here is not to serve the corporate master. I am the corporation here," Leykis said while giving his "mission statement" on a recent show. "I reserve the right to talk about anything I find interesting."'

PHOTOS: Celebrity portraits by the Times

After three years off the radio, Leykis has resumed his weekday show on the Internet, once considered merely the realm of amateurs and vanity programs. Now he's streaming his show free on http://www.BlowMeUpTom.com, a reference to the tradition of fans' requests that Leykis end their calls with recorded explosions, among other sound effects. He broadcasts live weekdays from 3 to 6 p.m., sometimes 7, with continuous repeats until the following day's new show.

The Internet show began April 2, and at the end of its first week, 401,180 listeners had tuned in for at least five minutes. The first month, fans tuned in from 102 countries — England, El Salvador, Uganda, Australia, the Philippines and Mexico, among others.

"It's an example of how creative talent is adapting to a new reality," said Perry Michael Simon, news, talk and sports editor at the online radio-news journal AllAccess.com. "The number of outlets they've got on traditional media have shrunk. It's wise of anybody on the talent side to be entrepreneurial."

PHOTOS: Celebrity portraits by the Times

Behind an anonymous storefront in Burbank, with printers and auto-repair shops for neighbors, Leykis broadcasts from a small studio, dark and spare, standing at a crescent-shaped desk and still wearing his trademark dark glasses in the dim lighting. His KLSX show also aired weekday afternoons, and many fans listened while driving home during rush hour — not sitting in front of a computer. Is he simply missing out on that whole swath of his audience?

During a break, Leykis holds up an Android smartphone he'd been twirling in his hand.

"This," he said, "is a radio."

A few finger swipes, and he's turned on an application streaming radio stations and programs from around the world, with presets for his favorites — like a car radio with a global reach. He presses an on-screen button, and the current episode of "The Tom Leykis Show" starts playing. Plug that into a dashboard, and it's as if he never left the airwaves.

"This is a cultural breakthrough," said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers magazine, the trade journal of the talk-radio industry. "You're on the same magic box that major corporations spend millions of dollars to broadcast through. That's a revolution."

And Simon noted that what listeners care about is the content coming out of their speakers, not whether it originated from a broadcast antenna on Mt. Wilson, a satellite overhead or a cellphone tower beaming an Internet stream.

"While the traditional media are shrinking, the opportunities to get your product out there have never been greater," Simon said.

In the short term, online audiences will run smaller than those for radio, he said, but in the long run "there's a much greater upside in terms of numbers."

Leykis is by no means the first radio refugee to take his program to the Internet. Almost immediately after their station switched formats in 2009, his former KLSX colleague Adam Carolla started offering a podcast that emulated his morning show. Among others, former Air America talk host Lionel and longtime Chicago radio personality Steve Dahl podcast regularly via their own websites.

With a podcast, listeners can go to a website or iTunes and download the latest show, then listen to it at their leisure. Likewise, the hosts can produce and post the shows whenever they want and aren't required to be in front of a microphone at a studio every weekday at 3 p.m. sharp.

Leykis' streaming model, on the other hand, better simulates the live radio experience for the audience, with the interaction of callers, host and subsequent callers reacting to earlier comments.

"He's basically offering a radio show without the antenna," Simon said. With podcasts, "there's a delay that takes the communal experience out of it."

Leykis' new show is much like his old one. He gives advice to mostly male callers – who refer to him as "dad" – on how to negotiate their world of conniving gold diggers, where nice guys finish last in the dating game. During his Thursday "Leykis 101" segments, the "professor" tells women "how men really think," and tells men how to get more women, without spending money on them. But he said part of his new autonomy is to explore other, non-relationship topics – whether mocking Mike Huckabee's radio show or riffing on the anachronism of the phone book or the barbarism of the Kelly Thomas beating in Fullerton.

"Frankly, I don't think the average listener wants me to talk about the same thing all of the time," he said on-air one day. "I refuse to be a cartoon character."

Simon said it's too soon to tell whether one method will eventually win out with listeners, streaming or podcasting. Leykis is hedging his bets and also ensuring income by offering premium subscriptions for $99.99 a year, which includes on-demand access to all previous shows.

He's also selling merchandise and advertising on the air and on the website and has a dedicated link toAmazon.com, through which he gets a cut of anything purchased. He owns outright the computers, sound boards and other scant equipment he needs and works with only three other people — executive producer Gary Zabransky, engineer Art Webb and screener Dean DeMilio, all of whom return from his KLSX show.

Leykis said he will have spent about $1 million to get the show up and running and expects to make a profit by the end of the first year — more than some of the nation's biggest broadcasters can say about their bottom lines. He doesn't have the expense of an FCC license, transmitters or antennas or any debt from buying new stations.

For example, Clear Channel, which operates the nation's largest radio chain with 850 stations, had a profit of $330 million on revenue of $1.3 billion in the first quarter of this year but is saddled with nearly $20 billion in debt from a leveraged buyout in 2008.

"Now you've got these companies that are so over-leveraged," Leykis said, "they have turned the radio business into a bunch of scrap metal and homogenized formats."

KLSX had been the longtime home of Howard Stern until the "King of All Media" bolted for Sirius satellite radio in January 2006. KLSX then struggled until February 2009, when parent company CBS Radio flipped the station to the Top 40 "Amp 97.1" format it still broadcasts, which led to an immediate ratings jump.

"I didn't know what I wanted to do next," Leykis said, and for the rest of 2009 he "went to veg" on his 20-acre ranch in northern Santa Barbara County. His CBS contract paid him for three more years, so "I always had the option of not coming back. I could have stopped."

"It became apparent that anyone with a laptop and a cheap microphone was doing a podcast," he said, but few had his experience or following. He saw a chance to circumvent the traditional business model and "create a radio station without a transmitter."

He spent the next six months studying digital content, streams and podcasts. "I wanted to be one of the first to claim some of that beachfront property."

He used an e-mail list of 10,000 culled from his former show and 35,000 followers on Facebook and Twitter to spread the word about his return.

"It feels fabulous. I haven't worked this hard in 20 years," he said, keeping his hand in every aspect of the do-it-yourself radio station — even standing in line at Burbank Water and Power with a deposit check, to get utilities turned on at the studio.

"I have no time to feel like a revolutionary," Leykis said, grinning. "Someone's got to go to Costco and get paper towels."
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #1019
nyuk nyuk

Leykis is a mental case, and a homely ****er to boot.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #1020
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

bumped because our team ****ing blew it so why the **** not?

Also, I'd like to know. Was a DNA test ever done to confirm fatherhood?
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #1021
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's been just over 4 years since this gem.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #1022
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
It's been just over 4 years since this gem.
This fact makes me feel old,
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #1023
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This fact makes me feel old,
It is quite depressing.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #1024
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
It is quite depressing.
Well, at least we can read a few pages of this thread to remind us that things can always be worse. I feel better already.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #1025
stopgap
Chicken

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well, I read the full thread for once. For some reason I always stayed away from it.

My question is not related but it was brought up. What's the story behind this ongoing 'Ghostbusters' joke?
stopgap is offline   Reply With Quote