The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default Bioshock Infinite

Unlocks in a few hours. Been waiting on this gem for a while. The reviews are insane!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...critic-reviews

Work at a dev studio, and I think most of us are taking the day off tomorrow to play. The first one was one of the best shooters of all time, and the second one was done by another studio by still a solid game. By everything I've seen, this could be the new king. So excited!
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

From what I've seen it looks amazing.

You on PC or console?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I'm a console gamer. Drew Holmes is a buddy of mine, he was the lead writer on this one. Went to his panel at PAXEast this weekend, and the entire game just looks astounding. It's beautiful.

A true achievement in gaming.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Question...I only BRIEFLY played the first one. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but at the time I had 4 or 5 games I was cycling through, and it just collected dust. As someone who hasn't played the first two, am I going to be completely lost with Infinite? Controls, storyline, etc...is this a game you can walk into this late in the series and fully enjoy?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Question...I only BRIEFLY played the first one. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but at the time I had 4 or 5 games I was cycling through, and it just collected dust. As someone who hasn't played the first two, am I going to be completely lost with Infinite? Controls, storyline, etc...is this a game you can walk into this late in the series and fully enjoy?
Actually, I was wondering this too. I'd barely played either the first or second ones, but had a chance to play it this weekend.

Truth be told? I don't think you'll be lost; just make sure you take your time and fully explore the entire world that's available to you. It's so overwhelmingly rich, a total feast for the senses... don't miss anything.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Actually, I was wondering this too. I'd barely played either the first or second ones, but had a chance to play it this weekend.

Truth be told? I don't think you'll be lost; just make sure you take your time and fully explore the entire world that's available to you. It's so overwhelmingly rich, a total feast for the senses... don't miss anything.

Holy balls that looks incredible! Love immersive games, and that review just sealed it for me. Thanks for the link mang!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
I'm a console gamer. Drew Holmes is a buddy of mine, he was the lead writer on this one. Went to his panel at PAXEast this weekend, and the entire game just looks astounding. It's beautiful.

A true achievement in gaming.
My kid got it - It is beautifully done.

One question - is Drew Holmes' dad a preacher or something? the first 5 minutes of the game bombards you with church/catholic/religious references - a tad overboard with that, I think
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post

One question - is Drew Holmes' dad a preacher or something? the first 5 minutes of the game bombards you with church/catholic/religious references - a tad overboard with that, I think
That's what the BioShock games from Irrational are like. In your face. The first one had a lot to do with freedom and what would happen if the highest in society were to create their own utopia. It took a lot from Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:

How important is the storyline of the first one though as it relates to Infinite? I didn't play the first one but want to get this one.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I watched gameplay of it last night on Twitch, amazing looking.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
How important is the storyline of the first one though as it relates to Infinite? I didn't play the first one but want to get this one.
Not terribly important, I don't think. There's some crossover, but this is fine as a stand-alone title.

And if you're really concerned about it, you can order the first two in a combo pack for like $25 from Amazon. I did that just so I'd have all three.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:

Fair question, but no, Drew's dad isn't a preacher. The storyline was developed with everyone involved at Irrational. The actual dialog, especially with regard to the character development of Elizabeth, was Drew's project.

An interesting piece of this that I learned in the panel discussion: They were about six months out from the release date, and Elizabeth the character wasn't nearly as strong as they'd intended her to be. Drew led a group of writers (as well as Elizabeth's "brain," a woman named Amanda Jeffrey, who was responsible for making the character more real to the player) known internally as "Liz Squad," to get her where she needed to be. The result is a really terrific character who helps the game move through its various phases. It's the evolution of character-based gameplay, and I think we'll see more of that as game companies continue to evolve.

Also, I'm in love with Courtnee Draper, the actress who voiced the Elizabeth character.

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2...3/yelled-a-lot
Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

What do you think of the PC version?
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:

Not overboard at all in my opinion. Doesn't seem they're afraid of offending anyone which is the way art should be.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
What do you think of the PC version?
I haven't seen it personally, but that's what Adam Sessler (in the review I posted above) played, and he highly recommends it. Sounds like the graphics and gameplay are both just beautiful.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

As with most games with sequels, it would benefit you to play the previous games but not necessary. I have not played Bioshock Infinite yet, but I played the first two.

Bioshock 1 was a masterpiece of storytelling and I would feel bad for any gamer to miss out on playing it. Really. It's that good.

Bioshock 2 was good gameplay, and worth the play, but overall a 'meh' product.

I can't wait to play Bioshock Infinite, but I do not have the time at the moment. I know it's going to be epic. Again, if you've played first-person shooters, you'll have no problem picking up Bioshock Infinite without playing the first two. I'm sure Bioshock Infinite has a story that can stand by itself without playing the first two, but not playing Bioshock 1 (maybe even after Bioshock Infinite) would be doing a great disservice to yourself.

As for PC vs. Console, it depends what you like. I like console games when I feel like being in my living room on the TV instead of being holed up in my den on my PC. But... I love PC games because their graphics are extremely better and the versatility offered by the keyboard/mouse combo over a controller. I will probably get Bioshock Infinite on PC.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
As with most games with sequels, it would benefit you to play the previous games but not necessary. I have not played Bioshock Infinite yet, but I played the first two.

Bioshock 1 was a masterpiece of storytelling and I would feel bad for any gamer to miss out on playing it. Really. It's that good.

Bioshock 2 was good gameplay, and worth the play, but overall a 'meh' product.

I can't wait to play Bioshock Infinite, but I do not have the time at the moment. I know it's going to be epic. Again, if you've played first-person shooters, you'll have no problem picking up Bioshock Infinite without playing the first two. I'm sure Bioshock Infinite has a story that can stand by itself without playing the first two, but not playing Bioshock 1 (maybe even after Bioshock Infinite) would be doing a great disservice to yourself.

As for PC vs. Console, it depends what you like. I like console games when I feel like being in my living room on the TV instead of being holed up in my den on my PC. But... I love PC games because their graphics are extremely better and the versatility offered by the keyboard/mouse combo over a controller. I will probably get Bioshock Infinite on PC.
Bioshock Infinite isn't a direct sequel, so there is absolutely no need to play the first two. Though people should because they are great games (Bioshock 2 is a lot better than people give it credit for).