The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #301
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Hell, man, where's the soul of our secondary, the leader MLB? We don't have either of those. Champ is not a leader. We had Dumervil, and Woodyard as leaders.

Just lost Dumervil, now it's down to Woodyard as the leader. Who's gonna step up? Irving? Adams? Miller? They're gonna have to find a leader for this D.

If this guy can be replaced, then Doom can.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #302
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post

'Count VonWoodWolfe' with a strong measure of the quiet authority of Champ keeping the D focused and fired up.

Last edited by Hulamau; 03-25-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #303
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I'm not sure that's happened yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #304
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
He was thinking "let me be a rational person and take the best offer since the whole point of playing is to maximize income". Doom went to BAL because he has a brain.
Well, sure, the $ was a factor. But maybe not the biggest factor since the $ wasn't really all that different. I think this had just as much to do with pride/ego (miffed about being asked to take a pay cut) and the ability to showcase himself as a 3-4 LB where he proved at his best in 2009. But if he wanted to win a Super Bowl I think he made the wrong choice. Combine that with having to uproot his life and it's a questionable decision to say the least. But it's his decision of course and he had every right to make it.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #305
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Well, sure, the $ was a factor. But maybe not the biggest factor since the $ wasn't really all that different. I think this had just as much to do with pride/ego (miffed about being asked to take a pay cut) and the ability to showcase himself as a 3-4 LB where he proved at his best in 2009. But if he wanted to win a Super Bowl I think he made the wrong choice. Combine that with having to uproot his life and it's a questionable decision to say the least. But it's his decision of course and he had every right to make it.
Has there been any confirmation what our offer really was post-fax clusterfark though? I'm not sure we were even offering him $8 plus 2014 injury guarantee anymore.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #306
BoiseBluTurf
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Pretty weird how all this worked out, over what, $3.5m?

It sure looks like Elway & Co undervalued Elvis from the start, then had second thoughts and upped their offer. They were willing to diddle around with Elvis over 2.8% of the total cap.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see how they cover his production.
Correct me if I'm wrong... But... if they would have spent the extra 3.5 million you are upset about...wouldn't the combination of the cost to cut him combined with the new contract been more that the $12 million that started all this whole discussion?
BoiseBluTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #307
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Elvis Dumervil is now #58.

Funnnnnnnny guyyyyyy!

Apparently Baltimore sold him on going back to OLB in their 3-4 and the fact that he has a longer career if he switches from DE. Wink Martindale is there and sucked him off. Longer career means he could get one more contract.

UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #308
nyuk nyuk

So what's taking so long to sign someone? I thought we'd have another guy on board by now.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #309
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Only my opinion but I think we absolutely wet the bed on this one. Now you'll continue to hear Broncos spin that we were prepared for this and had a back-up plan ready to fire as soon as we released Dumervil. Well if that is indeed the case then why did we literally beg Dumervil to come back in the form of multiple contract offers and now we're sitting at a status quo with no replacement signed

I honestly think they totally ****ed this up and thought they could get Doom back at a low price even after the fax fiasco. Dumervil played them and played them well and now they dont really know who to replace him with.

There's not too many people **** over No7 but our former RDE just did and in effect Dumervil never really lost any money at all because he was never getting that $12m. He was only ever getting $8m guaranteed and a further $3.5m guaranteed only for injury.

Now Elway and Co may well find a replacement in the draft or get a year or 2's decent play out of Freeney or Abraham but until he accomplishes that, it somewhat damages what looked like a very good offseason up until that Friday for me.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #310
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
So what's taking so long to sign someone? I thought we'd have another guy on board by now.
I think the idea of Denver was just going to throw themselves at the mercy of Freeney if we lost Doom was a pipe dream made up by the agent.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #311
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

ohhh come on Doom!!! make your decision already!!! You are holdings us up to signing all that awesome talent still available!!!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #312
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Apparently Baltimore sold him on going back to OLB in their 3-4...
Yup, precisely what I suggested in post #304.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #313
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Hell, man, where's the soul of our secondary, the leader MLB? We don't have either of those. Champ is not a leader. We had Dumervil, and Woodyard as leaders.

Just lost Dumervil, now it's down to Woodyard as the leader. Who's gonna step up? Irving? Adams? Miller? They're gonna have to find a leader for this D.

You don't have to be a loud mouth rah rah guy to be a leader. Champ has been a leader. He and Miller lead by example. I would much rather have guys that don't need HS pep talks to get them up for games. There are plenty of guys who can rant, scream and yell let's go kick their ass before games. That doesn't make you a leader. A leader is a guy who gets it done on Sundays, is helpful to the younger players and is a good guy in the locker room. We have guys that like that. Now, that doesn't mean I'm not saying we couldn't use a stud MLB, we do, but I don't think we have a lack of leadership on this team, offense or defense.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #314
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Only my opinion but I think we absolutely wet the bed on this one. Now you'll continue to hear Broncos spin that we were prepared for this and had a back-up plan ready to fire as soon as we released Dumervil. Well if that is indeed the case then why did we literally beg Dumervil to come back in the form of multiple contract offers and now we're sitting at a status quo with no replacement signed
You may well be correct. I'm just not totally down with the "begging" part. I think it may have just been a case of them being willing to go so far to re-sign him, and it wasn't far enough. Baltimore was willing to go farther. So yes, I think they wanted him back. But I think they were only willing to pay what they offered, nothing more. Mistake? Perhaps. But could also be the Ravens who made a mistake. They were only able to do this because they let 5-6 the defensive starters go. And it appears they'e compromised future cap flexibility by getting Doom at a low cap figure this year, similar to what they did with Flacco. Eventually the bill comes due.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #315
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I honestly think they totally ****ed this up and thought they could get Doom back at a low price even after the fax fiasco. Dumervil played them and played them well and now they dont really know who to replace him with.

There's not too many people **** over No7 but our former RDE just did and in effect Dumervil never really lost any money at all because he was never getting that $12m. He was only ever getting $8m guaranteed and a further $3.5m guaranteed only for injury.

Now Elway and Co may well find a replacement in the draft or get a year or 2's decent play out of Freeney or Abraham but until he accomplishes that, it somewhat damages what looked like a very good offseason up until that Friday for me.
You don't ask a player to take a pay-cut unless you are prepared for the player to say "no." So, I don't buy the idea that they thought they were going to be able to retain him. I think that was their preference, but only at a price they were comfortable with. If they were desperate (begging?) to get him back, they would have bested Baltimore's offer. They didn't. I think plan A was to bring Doom back at a more palatable price, but they were prepared to move on with plan B (as yet to be revealed).
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #316
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You may well be correct. I'm just not totally down with the "begging" part. I think it may have just been a case of them being willing to go so far to re-sign him, and it wasn't far enough. Baltimore was willing to go farther. So yes, I think they wanted him back. But I think they were only willing to pay what they offered, nothing more. Mistake? Perhaps. But could also be the Ravens who made a mistake. They were only able to do this because they let 5-6 the defensive starters go. And it appears they'e compromised future cap flexibility by getting Doom at a low cap figure this year, similar to what they did with Flacco. Eventually the bill comes due.
From reading between the lines and seeing Dumervil's comments since signing, I dont think he was ever considering coming back here once we released him, unless we beat every other offer by a mile and that was never happening. He used our offers as a basis to get his new deal elsewhere. He's been saying since he signed he needed a change of scenery.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #317
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

BINGO!!! Eddie mac
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #318
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I still think Doom is going to be held like a b**** and get no calls. That is the great equalizer to his talent. That is why he will always be good, not great.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #319
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
From reading between the lines and seeing Dumervil's comments since signing, I dont think he was ever considering coming back here once we released him, unless we beat every other offer by a mile and that was never happening. He used our offers as a basis to get his new deal elsewhere. He's been saying since he signed he needed a change of scenery.
that usually means he didn't like the expectations his coach had of him.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #320
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
that usually means he didn't like the expectations his coach had of him.
Or how those negotiations went down.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #321
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

OP is a prick but this will be a call out to Doom and his great agent for his great idea of trying to **** over Bowlen, Elway, Fox and the Broncos. How is it going in Baltimore there Doom?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #322
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I wish Elvis were a part of this, but on the other hand, it's kinda nice to know he has to watch Peyton win a ring on his longtime team after choosing Flacco over him.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #323
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
OP is a prick but this will be a call out to Doom and his great agent for his great idea of trying to **** over Bowlen, Elway, Fox and the Broncos. How is it going in Baltimore there Doom?
G6matty missed us going to the Super Bowl cause now is about the time we would be doing his time in jail
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #324
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

My thoughts at the end of our game were **** you Belichick, **** you Tom Brady, **** the media, **** you Dumerville, and most of all **** you McDaniels.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #325
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Had to clear out the locker room cancer... funny, where ever Loservil goes the team falters.

I'm not really serious about that but he could have been a part of this but played his bull**** game.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote