The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Poll: Does an armed society deter assault and murder?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Does an armed society deter assault and murder?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #76
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I never said I held out a lot of hope that Americans would stand up to tyranny but one can hope. There is NO chance without an armed citizenry.
The 2nd amendment does not protect us against tyranny, the 1st does. Want to fight a tyrannical regime backed by the might of the U.S. Army? First, you need to be able to recognize and help others recognize the tyranny. Then you need allies: both foreign (i.e. France) and domestic (i.e. convincing Military units to defect and fight).

That's what went wrong in 1930s Germany. The German population was not disarmed, it had blinders put on. It was convinced to be PART of the tyranny.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #77
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
The 2nd amendment does not protect us against tyranny, the 1st does.
They both do.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials." George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." --James Madison, The Federalist Papers, No. 46

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

"The right of the people to keep and bear ... arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country ..." -- James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

"The militia is the natural defense of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpation of power by rulers. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally ... enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
-- Joseph Story, Supreme Court Justice, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, p. 3:746-7, 1833
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #78
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Do guns save lives?

92% of poll responders say yes.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #79
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Do guns save lives?

92% of poll responders say yes.
Well, take that to the bank!

Those kids in Newtown got what they deserved, didn't they, because they didn't take their civic duty seriously and arm themselves. Right?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #80
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post

Those kids in Newtown got what they deserved, didn't they, because they didn't take their civic duty seriously and arm themselves. Right?
Are you really this sick of an individual?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #81
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Are you really this sick of an individual?
Your supposition is that we have a duty (more than just a right) to be armed.

Are you backing off, now? Did the reptilians get to you or something?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #82
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I chose not to interact with sickos - IE post 79
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #83
nyuk nyuk

Quote:

What on God's green earth is wrong with you?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #84
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You just did.

How far do you go with your claim of a "duty" to be armed?

Who's exempt? Anyone?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #85
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
I swear he's getting worse.

He usually responds by insulting everyone and pooping everywhere, and now this.

I'm starting to wonder if we need to get him into a nursing home.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #86
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
What on God's green earth is wrong with you?
It's baja's claim taken to its logical conclusion.

He won't admit it, but if we have a "duty" to be armed, then those who are not have failed in their "duty".

I'm merely trying to get baja to define the limits, if any, to this claim of his regarding "duty".
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #87
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
They both do.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials." George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." --James Madison, The Federalist Papers, No. 46

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

"The right of the people to keep and bear ... arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country ..." -- James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

"The militia is the natural defense of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpation of power by rulers. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally ... enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
-- Joseph Story, Supreme Court Justice, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, p. 3:746-7, 1833
Oh look, multiple arguments from authority. How impressive of you!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #88
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I swear he's getting worse.

He usually responds by insulting everyone and pooping everywhere, and now this.

I'm starting to wonder if we need to get him into a nursing home.
You two don't get it at all.

Not surprising.

Do you agree with baja that there's a "duty" to be armed?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #89
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

What the founders had in mind was more like the Swiss model of today.

Quote:
A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country
We get this instead..........

DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #90
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
What the founders had in mind was more like the Swiss model of today.

We get this instead..........

Luckily for us, our Constitution was written by American patriots and not gungrabbing Red Coats.

If there's something about the US or US policy you don't like, feel free to catch the next British Airways flight out to Gatwick. I've always found it unbecoming for foreigners to come over here to enjoy what we have, while all they can seemingly do is b**** and moan about how we choose to run our household.

Yes, here's the Swiss model of today: Untracked automatic rifles everywhere, little regulation.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #91
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
You two don't get it at all.

Not surprising.

Do you agree with baja that there's a "duty" to be armed?
I get it perfectly: When confronted with something you can't or don't want to answer, you poop.

As far the rest, I'll answer your questions when you stop dodging mine. How's that?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #92
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I get it perfectly: When confronted with something you can't or don't want to answer, you poop.
You just described yourself perfectly.

You **** all over the board - neg reps, too.

Grow the **** up, little baby.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #93
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You still missed the point nyucky, do you know what the word 'regulated' means in the context of the 2nd amendment?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #94
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk;3821394[B
]Luckily for us, our Constitution was written by American patriots and not gungrabbing Red Coats.[/B]

If there's something about the US or US policy you don't like, feel free to catch the next British Airways flight out to Gatwick. I've always found it unbecoming for foreigners to come over here to enjoy what we have, while all they can seemingly do is b**** and moan about how we choose to run our household.

Yes, here's the Swiss model of today: Untracked automatic rifles everywhere, little regulation.
So Brits were only redcoats? Are you really so stupid??

As a citizen, I'm entitled to my opinion, unlike you, most here don't use the 2nd amendment to squash the first.

Now go get me a sandwich!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #95
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
You still missed the point nyucky, do you know what the word 'regulated' means in the context of the 2nd amendment?
No what you are trying to make it out to be. Do your research.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #96
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
So Brits were only redcoats? Are you really so stupid??

As a citizen, I'm entitled to my opinion, unlike you, most here don't use the 2nd amendment to squash the first.

Now go get me a sandwich!
Nobody is squashing the 1st, it's not "squashing" to point out you're pretty stupid to move to a country in which you dislike the laws in so badly you feel the need to mock citizens of that country for.

You're like OM's own little Piers Morgan.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #97
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Nobody is squashing the 1st, it's not "squashing" to point out you're pretty stupid to move to a country in which you dislike the laws in so badly you feel the need to mock citizens of that country for.

You're like OM's own little Piers Morgan.
You're quite the little drama queen and too stupid to address the issues without resorting to xenophobia.

I've more than paid my dues as a citizen, I'll be as critical as I choose.

If you don't like criticism and the Democratic process, feel free move to Cuba and go back to being a dumbass Marxist.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #98
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Aw, she called Brit a Piers Morgan. Yet got mad when I posted Asian memes. Lmfao.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #99
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
You're quite the little drama queen and too stupid to address the issues without resorting to xenophobia.

I've more than paid my dues as a citizen, I'll be as critical as I choose.

If you don't like criticism and the Democratic process, feel free move to Cuba and go back to being a dumbass Marxist.
Xenophobia. Teh lulz. What the hell is that? It seems to me that if anyone is "phobic" about anything, it's you with regard to your dislike for living in the country of your birth.

You come all this way to whine and trash people. Seriously, that is just pathetic.

A pro-gun control Brit. I think perhaps you should have stayed home, since you clearly prefer mom's cooking better.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #100
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Aw, she called Brit a Piers Morgan. Yet got mad when I posted Asian memes. Lmfao.
The Asian stuff you posted crossed the line into racism, even though you claim to be "antiracist." I call him Piers Morgan for obvious reasons and those have nothing to do with your stereotyping Asian people.

Perhaps you could comprehend this better if we post "Black memes" about your relatives?