The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I got the Droid Razr through Verizon - unlimited everything - $90 a month. Not really a problem. I never get dropped calls anywhere, I can get 4G practically anywhere. This is one tough phone, dropped this thing many times and not even a scratch on my "gorilla glass".
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
lolcopter

Just reupped my sprint contract because of a work discount otherwise I would be all over the nexus4/T-Mobile. I had tmo prepaid before and it was fine and the 3g is way faster than lolsprint
Old 03-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #28
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I got the Droid Razr through Verizon - unlimited everything - $90 a month. Not really a problem. I never get dropped calls anywhere, I can get 4G practically anywhere. This is one tough phone, dropped this thing many times and not even a scratch on my "gorilla glass".
Verizon has unlimited data?
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Just reupped my sprint contract because of a work discount otherwise I would be all over the nexus4/T-Mobile. I had tmo prepaid before and it was fine and the 3g is way faster than lolsprint
I got rid of Sprint. I had discounts at the university I worked at and now where I do for the government, however, for some reason (even with the applied discount) they wanted to raise my bill from $70 bucks a month to like $100+. . . so I argued with them on the phone for a few days, didn't have to pay a cancellation fee and they gave me my last two months of usage free because I told them they sucked.

Will never go contract again. Waiting to see if the Google Nexus can work on StraightTalk. . .
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #30
lolcopter

If straight talk is gsm nexus should be fine. Sucks they tried to screw ya over like that. They have been surprisingly decent customer service wise to me at least. I lost my phone a couple months ago but they worked with me at least allowing me to redo my contract to get another discounted iPhone at least.

Most cell companies will screw people over though, no way around that. My bro has AT&T at full price and I think it's crazy. Whatever
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Yeah, they are GSM. Most all unlocked GSM phones or ones that work with T-Mobile are good to go. They give you a guide on the frequencies their towers operate on to let you decipher what works. I'm looking at the Nexus, a Sony Xperia and a few others. Probably going to wait a while. Crap phone works for now.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #32
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Bronco Fan View Post
No, they do not. And like the debate I was having about a year ago, are in the process of charging everyone on it an even higher premium.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #33
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
If straight talk is gsm nexus should be fine. Sucks they tried to screw ya over like that. They have been surprisingly decent customer service wise to me at least. I lost my phone a couple months ago but they worked with me at least allowing me to redo my contract to get another discounted iPhone at least.

Most cell companies will screw people over though, no way around that. My bro has AT&T at full price and I think it's crazy. Whatever
The Nexus from google is a great choice. Although it is TECHNICALLY a 3G phone, it's more jargon than anything.

Also BEWARE of buying any used phones EVER. Someone can give you their used phone, then make an insurance claim on it any time in the next week, month, year, and your phone will cease to work as anything more than an Ipod Touch.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #34
INbronco
Rookie

Just talked to the ATT guy about 19.99 home service where they port your home number over to a desk module cell receiver with two RJ ports on the back. It is voice only but is unlimited for flat rate 23.00 which includes taxes and fees. Their internet only service is 50.00 per month for 5 Gbit download so is probably not a good deal. However my Frontier land line service will provide home DSL only for about 35.00 per month. If I go this way my phone service will reduce from present of 95.00 per month down to 58.00. However our Frontier DSL service sucks (2.8Md/.8Mu and can drop as low as 1Md on bad days). We mainly use Netflix mailers and rarely stream so can live with that. We really want to get entirely off landlines but living in the country makes that unlikely. We will keep our two Tmobile prepays which only cost about 70.00 per year each given our minimal use of service.
INbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #35
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

I pay $63 a month on Verizon 4G for 450 mins and unlimited data and text. I buy my phones outright and have been able to keep unlimited data. I got the Galaxy S3 right now. If they ever make me sign a new contract or make me switch to their share everything garbage then I will go to prepaid.

Last edited by Aftermath; 03-27-2013 at 01:37 AM..
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #36
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Bronco Fan View Post
You have to be grandfathered in and then have to buy your phone at full retail to keep it. My plan was $63 like 3-4 years ago and I bought a Galaxy S3 at full retail ($650) to keep my unlimited 4G. I stream for like 10hrs a day at work and need unlimited 4G.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #37
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
You have to be grandfathered in and then have to buy your phone at full retail to keep it. My plan was $63 like 3-4 years ago and I bought a Galaxy S3 at full retail ($650) to keep my unlimited 4G. I stream for like 10hrs a day at work and need unlimited 4G.

I did that for a while too but go throttled so bad it wouldnt stream any more. I currently am on Verizon plan with unlimited but phone going to hell and contract is up.
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #38
Jori
US Olympian

I'm using an unlocked Nexus 4 with the T-Mobile $30 per month prepaid plan myself. Great device and if you don't need a ton of minutes and just want data (5 GB HSPA+), it's a sweet deal.

Last edited by Jori; 03-27-2013 at 09:09 PM..
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Anyone have any experience with Republic Wireless? Pretty cool idea/price, but wondering if it works like you'd hope...
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #40
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Here's a pretty good indicator of how market forces are shifting: After six months of rumors, last week T-Mobile pulled the trigger and dumped contract plans altogether, now selling monthly only.

You have to feel for the poor bastards, they shut down advertising and 4G development for 6-plus months leading up to their merger with AT&T, which made sense until the Justice Department (surprisingly) sued for anti-trust and won - nixing the merger. This was the tail-end of 2011/early 2012, a critical period when 4G was really ramping up ... they missed the boat and since then their market share has plummeted. T-Mobile is a Seattle company, and they're laying off (Tatum Bell should be ok though, he's a commissioned salesperson).

** Anybody with a Sprint HTC EVO 4g, with a back cover like the picture, lemme know, I have 2 brand new hi-cap batteries I'll send you.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote