The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #276
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

If Trent Cole is available we need to go and pick him up.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #277
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
If Trent Cole is available we need to go and pick him up.
Do it.. Ben Stiller - Do It!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #278
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Seriously. What is the asking price? Well. . . looks like his contract is huge. No way.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #279
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Seriously. What is the asking price? Well. . . looks like his contract is huge. No way.
Every thing I have read about him (by fans mind you) think he is gone June 1st. They can spread the cap hit out longer. The first two years of his deal from the base salary is pretty cheap though 3.5 mill and 5 mill. Honestly if we could get a trade in place and have him redo his deal along the lines of what Denver was offering Doom then lets transform and roll out on this deal.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #280
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Pretty weird how all this worked out, over what, $3.5m?

It sure looks like Elway & Co undervalued Elvis from the start, then had second thoughts and upped their offer. They were willing to diddle around with Elvis over 2.8% of the total cap.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see how they cover his production.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #281
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
It sure looks like Elway & Co undervalued Elvis from the start, then had second thoughts and upped their offer.
I'm not sure what you mean. No matter how much they "upped their offer" it was a far lower number than the $12 million they originally owed him. They weren't willing to pay him that much, understandably. And in the end, they're not going to. Doom took a slightly better deal and went to Baltimore.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #282
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
1. Damontre Moore - I would take him in a heartbeat at #28. Has all the moves, elite production, and size. Needs to be motivated off the field...his only shortcoming.
Dude, he flamed out at the combine. Sure, he had very good college production but he bombed at the combine big time. I'd call that a red flag.

Quote:
2. Alex Okafor - only lined up on the strongside at Texas. He's big, strong and fast, but doesn't have a lot of pass-rush moves. Other than that, I like his production. Not sure how he would perform at RDE.
I'd take Okafor before Moore.

Quote:
3. Cornelius Carradine - Looks decent at RDE, but doesn't have a lot of moves. 24 year old, coming off an ACL, causes me to question his NFL impact.
A second round pick for sure IMHO.

Quote:
4. Sam Montgomery - slower and smaller than advertised. Character concerns, although he had good production at LSU. Demonstrates good speed, and good moves. Tough call, probably a 2nd rounder.
No.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #283
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. No matter how much they "upped their offer" it was a far lower number than the $12 million they originally owed him. They weren't willing to pay him that much, understandably. And in the end, they're not going to. Doom took a slightly better deal and went to Baltimore.
The bottom line is they lost Elvis for about 3.5 mil this year.

Elway offered him what, $6m to begin? For one year, or else they were gonna cut him? Then had to kick it up to $8.5m for one year, plus $3.5m next year that may or may not have been paid. The bottom line is Elway got too giggity playing with fire and lost a man he didn't really want to lose. Elway tried to make Elvis pay for other signings. He didn't try to touch Peyton or Champ, just Elvis.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #284
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

Elway offered him what, $6m to begin? For one year, or else they were gonna cut him? Then had to kick it up to $8.5m for one year, plus $3.5m next year that may or may not have been paid. The bottom line is Elway got too giggity playing with fire and lost a man he didn't really want to lose. Elway tried to make Elvis pay for other signings. He didn't try to touch Peyton or Champ, just Elvis.
Evidently they do not value him as highly as you do.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #285
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Wrong. He got paid $35 million over the last 3 seasons (only played 2) and his production was good...not great.

He won't be missed...you'll all see when we are 10-1 after 11 games and Ayers, Freeney, Wolfe, etc have a combined 12 sacks with 5-6 games still to be played.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #286
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That seems to be the case. They wanted him back real badly, but not if it cost them 3.5m. Their backup plan may work out OK, we'll see.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #287
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Wrong. He got paid $35 million over the last 3 seasons (only played 2) and his production was good...not great.
What's the logic here? That a player that's overpaid one year is worth nothing the next?

The Broncos could have had Doom, no questions asked for $8.5 or $9 million. Probably could've even had him at $8 flat if they didn't wait until T-minus 2 hours to put their best offer on the table. Don't see the point in playing such hardball with a respected vet.

Instead we'll eat $5 million in cap space for nothing and scramble to find a poor man's Dumervil with the leftovers. All because the FO wanted to play chicken over $500k or 1m dollars. There's no positive spin to put on this.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #288
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I agree with beavis the Doom fiasco a loss for the Broncos front office. Now we have to wait and see how they can try and fix it.

But Doom so incredibly crappy vs the run we can find some silver lining to it. There is a chance we can come out better but it's no sure thing.

Last yr during playoffs I thought Doom played horrible. He got pushed around, he jumped offsides, and he got manhadled by Mckinnie. So I really can't say i think he was a complete football player. In fact I'm 100% sure any DE on our roster if better against the run and at setting the edge.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #289
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I agree with beavis the Doom fiasco a loss for the Broncos front office. Now we have to wait and see how they can try and fix it.

But Doom so incredibly crappy vs the run we can find some silver lining to it. There is a chance we can come out better but it's no sure thing.

Last yr during playoffs I thought Doom played horrible. He got pushed around, he jumped offsides, and he got manhadled by Mckinnie. So I really can't say i think he was a complete football player. In fact I'm 100% sure any DE on our roster if better against the run and at setting the edge.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think teams ran at Elvis' side all that much, he wasn't a target.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #290
Agamemnon

I find that I really don't care about losing Dumervil after the way it all played out. His agent screws up the deal and he expects the Broncos to foot the bill? Then he leaves to go to another team for a deal that wasn't really any better than what the Broncos offered him? Yeah, **** that guy. He's a great pass rusher, but I'm sure we'll manage fine without him.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #291
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
In his defense I am sure he knows more than John Elway.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #292
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I find that I really don't care about losing Dumervil after the way it all played out. His agent screws up the deal and he expects the Broncos to foot the bill? Then he leaves to go to another team for a deal that wasn't really any better than what the Broncos offered him? Yeah, **** that guy. He's a great pass rusher, but I'm sure we'll manage fine without him.
OTOH, they expected Doom to foot the bill for Mays and Prater? Peyton and Champ? Welker? As said above, $1m more they could have kept their starting RDE and team captain instead of searching for the next passrushing RDE. They saved $3.5m, big deal. 2.8% of the cap.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #293
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
OTOH, they expected Doom to foot the bill for Mays and Prater? Peyton and Champ? Welker? As said above, $1m more they could have kept their starting RDE and team captain instead of searching for the next passrushing RDE. They saved $3.5m, big deal. 2.8% of the cap.
I dont think Mays is part of the plan, and would have gotten cut if Doom signed anyway, Prater's cap hit isn't much this year and probably gets cut next year, Peyton is worth everything you give him, Champ has sort of become a Broncos legend. This team has a lot of talent that will require extensions in the near future. You cant keep all these guys. If it wasn't this year, Doom would probably be gone next season.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #294
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dont think Mays is part of the plan, and would have gotten cut if Doom signed anyway, Prater's cap hit isn't much this year and probably gets cut next year, Peyton is worth everything you give him, Champ has sort of become a Broncos legend. This team has a lot of talent that will require extensions in the near future. You cant keep all these guys. If it wasn't this year, Doom would probably be gone next season.
I agree next year's cap hit had to be figured into the equation, but Elway could have been more flexible. Elway it sure looks like he thought he could bully Doom into a one year contract. A guy like Doom shouldn't be treated that way.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 03-25-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #295
R-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Last yr during playoffs I thought Doom played horrible. He got pushed around, he jumped offsides, and he got manhadled by Mckinnie.
Played horrible? No. Actually he had a pretty good game against the run and pushed the pocket but Flacco got rid of the ball quickly.

Got pushed around? No. McKinnie was not even moving Dumervil at the line and Dennis Pitta also failed to block Dumervil.

Jumped offsides? Yes. Some of those calls were pretty close because Dumervil is really good at anticipating the snap.

Got manhandled by McKinnie? No, not even close. Dumervil had a good game. The Ravens watched that game film and decided to steal Dumervil from the Broncos. Mission accomplished.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #296
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Missed Opportunity for Dumervil

by Jeffri Chadiha

Maybe Elvis Dumervil's pride got in the way. Maybe it was as simple as the Denver Broncos failing to make a deal that matched what the Baltimore Ravens gave the Pro Bowl defensive end over the weekend.

There's even the possibility that Dumervil felt he'd finally had enough. Whatever the case surrounding Dumervil's recent decision to sign with Baltimore, this much is true: He just lost his best chance at playing in the Super Bowl next season.

The Broncos are clearly the class of the AFC going into the 2013 season. Even with the recent screw-up that led to the team dumping Dumervil at the last minute for salary-cap considerations -- his paperwork didn't reach the Broncos in time to make his restructured contract valid by the NFL deadline -- Denver was looking increasingly like the runaway conference favorite.

Peyton Manning is still under center and Von Miller is still coming after opposing quarterbacks off the edge. The Broncos snatched wide receiver Wes Welker from the New England Patriots. The final key component would've been working a deal that would've kept Dumervil around a few more seasons.

Elvis Dumervil's replacement in Denver is more likely to make the Super Bowl than Dumervil is in Baltimore.It says here that the Broncos will find a way to compensate for that substantial loss. There's already talk of former Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney joining the roster, with ex-Atlanta Falcons pass-rusher John Abraham serving as the de facto Plan B. As for Dumervil, it's hard to see him finding greener pastures in his new home. The Ravens won the most recent Super Bowl with a magical run for the ages. They're simply not set up to repeat that feat this fall.

Their spiritual leader, Ray Lewis, is now in retirement. The soul of their secondary, Ed Reed, will be suiting up for the Houston Texans this coming season. Other young talents -- namely linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger, and defensive backs Cary Williams and Bernard Pollard -- also have new homes. Overall, the Ravens are looking at only five returning starters from the defense that took the field in their win over San Francisco in Super Bowl XLVII.

The rest http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...elvis-dumervil
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #297
lolcopter

^wtf was doom thinking
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #298
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
^wtf was doom thinking
Hell, man, where's the soul of our secondary, the leader MLB? We don't have either of those. Champ is not a leader. We had Dumervil, and Woodyard as leaders.

Just lost Dumervil, now it's down to Woodyard as the leader. Who's gonna step up? Irving? Adams? Miller? They're gonna have to find a leader for this D.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #299
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
^wtf was doom thinking
He was thinking "let me be a rational person and take the best offer since the whole point of playing is to maximize income". Doom went to BAL because he has a brain.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #300
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Hell, man, where's the soul of our secondary, the leader MLB? We don't have either of those. Champ is not a leader. We had Dumervil, and Woodyard as leaders.

Just lost Dumervil, now it's down to Woodyard as the leader. Who's gonna step up? Irving? Adams? Miller? They're gonna have to find a leader for this D.
Von Miller will due nicely
baja is offline   Reply With Quote