The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default How DE Plays Out: Follow The Trend

I've noticed a trend in Dove Valley since John Elway took over, and I think it offers some insight into what we'll see this team do moving forward. Their M.O. has consistently been to fix positions of need by putting a young, talented guy behind a consistent, proven vet who can still produce but is nearing the end of his career. I think this makes a ton of sense, and I think part of the idea is to have the veteran help mentor his eventual replacement.

Safety:
Have Brian Dawkins, bring in Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter

Running Back:
Have a struggling but young Knowshon, bring in Willis McGahee. Later bring in a ridiculously young/talented Ronnie Hillman.

Tight End:
Bring in Daniel Fells along with Virgil Green and Julius Thomas. Replace Fells with Dreessen and Tamme.

Corner Back:
Have Champ Bailey, bring in Chris Harris and bring back Tony Carter. One year deals to Porter and DRC.

Middle Linebacker:
Joe Mays was a mistake, but having Keith Brooking show Nate Irving and Steven Johnson play the position probably didn't hurt.

Quarterback:
In 2011 they rolled with what they had, but in 2012 they signed Peyton Manning and put Brock Osweiler behind him to soak up everything he can.

Now admittedly the RB one is a little weak; they just had to find people who could play the position. And at TE, Dreesseen and Tamme are arguably still in the prime of their careers. But I think there's still a pretty clear trend here.

Looking at the DE position, I think Denver will go the same route. They'll probably sign either Freeney or Abraham to be the vet who produces now, and they'll draft a guy early (probably first, but definitely by the second round) to learn everything he can and provide depth. I'd honestly be surprised if I didn't see both things happen.

Seeing what we did with Rahim Moore, I think the front office is going to trust these young guys to produce as soon as the vet in front of them moves on. I wonder if they'll do the same thing with Nate Irving this season.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

They most likely will follow this trend this year @ DE especially considering we visited with Abraham & Freeney already. This however is basically the MO of every smart NFL team, position upgrades via trade or ree agency and draft for potential at each weak position each offsseason.

Glad we are one of the smarter teams around these days.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
I've noticed a trend in Dove Valley since John Elway took over, and I think it offers some insight into what we'll see this team do moving forward. Their M.O. has consistently been to fix positions of need by putting a young, talented guy behind a consistent, proven vet who can still produce but is nearing the end of his career. I think this makes a ton of sense, and I think part of the idea is to have the veteran help mentor his eventual replacement.

Safety:

Running Back:
Have a struggling but young Knowshon, bring in Willis McGahee. Later bring in a ridiculously young/talented Ronnie Hillman.

Tight End:
Bring in Daniel Fells along with Virgil Green and Julius Thomas. Replace Fells with Dreessen and Tamme.

Corner Back:
Have Champ Bailey, bring in Chris Harris and bring back Tony Carter. One year deals to Porter and DRC.

Middle Linebacker:
Joe Mays was a mistake, but having Keith Brooking show Nate Irving and Steven Johnson play the position probably didn't hurt.

Quarterback:
In 2011 they rolled with what they had, but in 2012 they signed Peyton Manning and put Brock Osweiler behind him to soak up everything he can.

Now admittedly the RB one is a little weak; they just had to find people who could play the position. And at TE, Dreesseen and Tamme are arguably still in the prime of their careers. But I think there's still a pretty clear trend here.

Looking at the DE position, I think Denver will go the same route. They'll probably sign either Freeney or Abraham to be the vet who produces now, and they'll draft a guy early (probably first, but definitely by the second round) to learn everything he can and provide depth. I'd honestly be surprised if I didn't see both things happen.

Seeing what we did with Rahim Moore, I think the front office is going to trust these young guys to produce as soon as the vet in front of them moves on. I wonder if they'll do the same thing with Nate Irving this season.
You are going to have to explain the trend to me.

Here is what I see:

Safety: replace aging hall of famer with draft picks

Runningback: add aging player and draft picks to mediocre player

Tight end: add 2 mediocre players and 2 rookies

Cornerback: add young players and mediocre players to aging hall of famer

Middle linebacker: do nothing at all

Quarterback: Replace draft pick with aging hall of famer and draft pick

I see no trend at all here, we replace 1 aging hall of famer, we keep another and we add a third. We replaced a young player at RB with an older player, we added some tight ends to a roster that didn't have any, we didn't do anything about the MLB position other than giving Joe Mays a much bigger contract than he deserves and we threw in a few young guys.

None of those have anything to do with DE: replace pro bowl player with ?
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post

Safety:

Running Back:

Tight End:

Corner Back:

Middle Linebacker:

Quarterback:

^This!
Veterans FA to plug holes for no more than 3 years and draft player to hopefully replace them in due time. This should in theory keep a team competitive for a long time provided that you are honest with your player evaluations. Meaning you just don't keep people because of some sort a of nostalgic reason.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah i dont see the trend either.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
DENVERDUI55

FA is about getting cheap soldiers not expensive generals unless PM is available.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Newsflash! All gms want to have a mix of vets and youth at all positions. No trend setting here but you can still use the info to see what broncos will do. I think we draft safety. Maybe Elam even though it would be wierd to see that last name not kicking the ball. Damn Elam was a good kicker we need to find another one like him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Far to many times I see people here and real GMs use FA and the draft to plug todays holes. What you end up doing burn both ends of the candle. FA should be used to plug holes to keep your team competitive. While the draft should be used to do is to full in and step up in big ways once those veterans leave.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Pretty preceptive post, chickennob2, and I agree.

I don't know if the Broncos planned it, or if it just happened to fall that way as they went from "rebuilding mode" to "win now mode" fairly quickly. I do like how the team seems to be preparing for success down the road.

Interestingly, there was a DP article last week interviewing Fox, and he basically said his goal was to build through the draft and "get out draft picks to their second contracts."

Fox likes vets, so we have a lot of them, but I'm all for stockpiling the draft picks and building that way. I think time will tell if the picks were good or not.

I think I'm the only one on here that wants to continue to give Knowshon a chance, though.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

now that we need to look to the draft for pass-rushers, I'm really excited about this Margus Hunt guy. He's 26, but I think he has everything else.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote