The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

Default OT-Cell phones contract or prepaid?

Contract coming due and wondering what is my best option for a phone/data plan? Anyone have experience with using anything besides a typical carrier and whatever price they bend you over for?
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

the answer to your question lies in the usage rate. if you use a lot of minutes and data then the contract will be your best bet.
if you use minimal minutes and little data then prepaid will be fine for you.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

We use Ting. Go here and ask Hulk. Tell him your typical usage and area, and he can find the best deal for you.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...ic=677314&st=0
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

Wifi mostly for data, hardly talk on phone maybe 100 minutes a month...maybe 500-1000 text messages.

Ting looks awesome, unfortunately there is no sprint network available in North Dakota (yeah I know) Its either AT&T or Verizon, only options.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

There is Sprint in Fargo, ND. I had it there for years.

StraightTalk Unlimited - 45$ a month. Just get a compatible phone you like from Amazon and you are good to go when you get their SIM card from ST put in it.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

All Sprint in Bismarck is "Off network Roaming"......voice and data....I know jack squat about all this....the straight talk from Sprint seems the most cut and dry and easiest and frankly, a nice price......is this a problem with the coverage in Bismarck being off network?

Last edited by ND Bronco Fan; 03-24-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You are almost always better off buying your phone outright and avoiding the overpriced contract from any of the major carriers.

Most areas have smaller companies that use the same network's as the major carriers, but offer much better deals on monthly plans.

The allure for people is seeing that brand new top of the line smartphone for $99 with a 2 year contract commitment. But when you run the numbers on just buying the phone outright yourself and finding a better monthly plan, you usually come out ahead a few hundred in the first year, and then it's all gravy from there in year 2.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

As others have said if you use it everyday then yeah you might be better with a plan, I have a Tmoblie pay as you go US sim card that I use when im in the US, 3 bucks per day of use gets me unlimited talk text and data, nationwide long distance included. so since im only over a weekend or 2 a month its perfect, and still cheaper than 1.25 per text and 10 bucks for 5 meg of data if I use my canadian carrier.

I also agree with buying your phone vs contract. Ive had my iPhone 4S since the day they came out, purchased it new, and other than the Tmobile card my regular phone has only cost me 150 bucks for the last year and ahalf, vs 50 a month x 18 months 900 if I went plan, so I am already past the return point on the purchase price of the phone, and I can go wherever I want with it.

7-11 speak out is another cheap one, I think in the US they run on AT&T so if you get there service you could go that route.

Last edited by chadta; 03-24-2013 at 02:43 PM..
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I use TMobile non 4G prepaid works great. Even though I expect one day prepaid will be like 4G pre paid monthy fee only. I rarely use my phone so no need for more. I spent 100.00 to be a gold member when I first started and now I spend 10.00 a year just keep rolling over my minutes.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I paid Verizon $74 a month for more than three years ... always felt ripped off. The phone was free, but it wasn't a smart phone. About three years ago switched to Virgin prepaid, $55 unlimited. You buy your phone, but I like knowing what I'm paying instead of "free phone" nonsense. Bought an LG Android for $179, upgraded this last fall HTC EVO for $249 ... the overall cost beats Verizon by $12-14 per month, and I have smartphone capabilities. Virgin has iPhones, Samsung Galaxy models, lots of phones.

Before you decide, do make sure you know which networks perform well at home and work, I've heard horror stories......
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I use TMobile non 4G prepaid works great. Even though I expect one day prepaid will be like 4G pre paid monthy fee only. I rarely use my phone so no need for more. I spent 100.00 to be a gold member when I first started and now I spend 10.00 a year just keep rolling over my minutes.
I have the same plan works great for my situation too. I go to the states 5 or 6 times a year and I have a phone as soon as I hit the tarmac and never loose a minute because of non use. Great pre pay for my needs.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

For the money, prepaid is a pretty nice option. Straighttalk wireless offers unlimited everything for $45 a month. The only reason I stopped using them a few years back was because of their limited phone selection, but it APPEARS that any unlocked GSM phone from T-Mobile is now compatible. Pretty sweet deal. I don't know how good the coverage in your area is, but it's worth checking out.

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
Boobs McGee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
For the money, prepaid is a pretty nice option. Straighttalk wireless offers unlimited everything for $45 a month. The only reason I stopped using them a few years back was because of their limited phone selection, but it APPEARS that any unlocked GSM phone from T-Mobile is now compatible. Pretty sweet deal. I don't know how good the coverage in your area is, but it's worth checking out.

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
Coverage is pretty good anywhere, IMHO.

You can get any unlocked GSM / CDMA phone that operates on the frequencies they list and it should be good to roll. They use AT and T, Verizon and T-Mobile towers and I think are adding Sprint soon.

The thing to caution is unlimited data actually means 2 GB per month. A guy who does testing for cell phones said he got a letter/email from them saying they'd cut off his service if he kept going over. Either way, still a good deal.

Last edited by Requiem; 03-25-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Bronco Fan View Post
Wifi mostly for data, hardly talk on phone maybe 100 minutes a month...maybe 500-1000 text messages.

Ting looks awesome, unfortunately there is no sprint network available in North Dakota (yeah I know) Its either AT&T or Verizon, only options.
Don't do a contract if possible. If you have the money to buy the phone up front then do that and try to go month to month with the carrier. So maybe you spend $350 on the phone upfront but you don't get locked into a 4 year contract with the carrier. The thing is, I don't even know if AT&T or Verizon will allow you to NOT sign a contract.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
yerner
Ring of Famer

i've been using straightalk for about 5 months. i ****ing hate it. even the way it sends texts messages seems cheap. pretty ghetto. i feel like i should just go the whole way and start sling crack rock. it's exactly the phone service that marlo stanfield would have used.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
i've been using straightalk for about 5 months. i ****ing hate it. even the way it sends texts messages seems cheap. pretty ghetto. i feel like i should just go the whole way and start sling crack rock. it's exactly the phone service that marlo stanfield would have used.
Did you buy one of their cheap phones? Or did you use a 3rd party one
Boobs McGee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
chawknz
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hey now!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Tmobile just did away with contracts for their plans. Instead of getting a phone for a subsidized price, locking you in a contract, you just pay $20 a month for the phone until the full price is paid off. If you pay the phone off early, you can upgrade the phone at any time, or leave the service all together, even if it was just after a few months.

I think the best value at the moment is getting a Nexus 4 through Google and going to T-Mobile and getting one of their $30 a month pre-paid plans.
chawknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawknz View Post
Tmobile just did away with contracts for their plans. Instead of getting a phone for a subsidized price, locking you in a contract, you just pay $20 a month for the phone until the full price is paid off. If you pay the phone off early, you can upgrade the phone at any time, or leave the service all together, even if it was just after a few months.

I think the best value at the moment is getting a Nexus 4 through Google and going to T-Mobile and getting one of their $30 a month pre-paid plans.
I know somebody who works at the corporate offices of AT&T and AT&T tried hard to purchase Tmobile but it never got done. From my understanding Tmobile is all over Europe, they really have that market locked down while their service in the USA is spotty. AT&T was trying to buy Tmobile not so much for their domestic plan but a way into Europe.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I'm on a Nexus 4 with t-mobile off contract ($70/month for unlimited voice, data, and text). Service has been pretty solid, but I haven't gotten far outside of a city yet to test it. The price/no-contract part of it makes any service issues worth it for me. Service (in Denver) has been superior to what I was getting with Verizon, particularly on the data speed front.

My wife is on Virgin mobile (Sprint MVNO) and she's pretty happy with it. Pays $30/month (I think) for unlimited voice, data, and text.

Last edited by enjolras; 03-25-2013 at 09:44 AM..
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I have the same plan works great for my situation too. I go to the states 5 or 6 times a year and I have a phone as soon as I hit the tarmac and never loose a minute because of non use. Great pre pay for my needs.
Yep not losing a minute is biggest key. What phone did you get? I got the more sturdy razr.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Yep not losing a minute is biggest key. What phone did you get? I got the more sturdy razr.
The cheap free one than I but their chip into a first generation jail broke iPhone. works perfect
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Did you buy one of their cheap phones? Or did you use a 3rd party one
good question. i have a old verizon phone. i just don't like the way that calls and texts are received. ignore my hyperbole. i was trying to be funny. if you're looking for cheap, and have a ok phone, it is ok... 30 bucks, 45 bucks. i'd recommend it if you don't give a **** about high tech.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #23
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

T-Mobile has post-paid no contract now. Problem solved. Cost <<<<<<<< Verizon/ATT
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I'm on a Nexus 4 with t-mobile off contract ($70/month for unlimited voice, data, and text). Service has been pretty solid, but I haven't gotten far outside of a city yet to test it. The price/no-contract part of it makes any service issues worth it for me. Service (in Denver) has been superior to what I was getting with Verizon, particularly on the data speed front.

My wife is on Virgin mobile (Sprint MVNO) and she's pretty happy with it. Pays $30/month (I think) for unlimited voice, data, and text.
T-Mobile doesn't have contracts anyway XD
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
I got sim only, and use it in my factory unlocked iPhone 4s, I generally swap sim cards while in line at customs.

I know at least a half dozen other Canadians doing the same thing, for infrequent use, t mobile pay by the day cant be beat.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote