The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Broncos young d-lineman is going to improve the most?
Robert Ayers 16 30.77%
Jeremy Beal 7 13.46%
Malik Jackson 10 19.23%
Derek Wolfe 17 32.69%
None of them 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Dumervils ability to strip a QB > the entire list above in the poll.

That's basically the bottom line. A player stepping up IMO is not on that list. I see Wolfe playing about the same or a little bit better. But not breaking out. Ayers? No way. Dude has underwhelmed. Malik Jackson is like wishing a diamond from a smashed turd. Just waiting for beal to get hurt again. It's gonna have to be through the draft or FA.
Freeney and Abraham all have more FFs then Doom so we should be fine with one of them right?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Who I think is going to step up and lead teams to victory isn't the defense. It's gonna be the offense. No more 3rd and 5 up the middle for Hester. McCoy specials are gone. This offense is gonna click on all levels and just outscore teams. 30+ will be the average.
So just because we lost doom you think suddenly we'll have to constantly out score teams with huge offensive games? FFS!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I'm rootin for "All of the above" but gotta give my homeboy Beal some love
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #29
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
1, 4, 1, 4, 0, and 6. This clearly isn't a stat that you can count on year to year.
Agreed, fumbles are all about luck, looking at all the pass rushers they tend to fluctuate wildly when it comes to forced fumbles.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Freeney and Abraham all have more FFs then Doom so we should be fine with one of them right?
I'm hoping. That's why I chose the stepping up would be by means other than who's on the current roster. Abraham should provide value
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
So just because we lost doom you think suddenly we'll have to constantly out score teams with huge offensive games? FFS!
Um no. I said the offense is who's going to step up. Welker? Gase? Another year manning has with this team? I'm saying points will come a bit easier than last year.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Agreed, fumbles are all about luck, looking at all the pass rushers they tend to fluctuate wildly when it comes to forced fumbles.
That is true among trying to strip RBs WRs. But a DE who's got long arms are taught to come in swiping that ball when trying to sack a QB. That is a skill they possess. Not luck. I've seen it countless times how a DE benefits from that. Look how many strips QBs from around the league let happen.

Demarcus ware has 32 forced fumbles. Luck? Hardly. That is skill he's perfected when sacking a QB.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-24-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #33
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
1, 4, 1, 4, 0, and 6. This clearly isn't a stat that you can count on year to year.

and if he were to follow the same pattern, he'd have a down year this upcoming season.......
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #34
Bacchus

Quote:
Who I think is going to step up and lead teams to victory isn't the defense. It's gonna be the offense. No more 3rd and 5 up the middle for Hester. McCoy specials are gone. This offense is gonna click on all levels and just outscore teams. 30+ will be the average.
I think you are right about the offense. Denver averaged 30 [points a game last year but I feel they will be having more 21 point halves this year and coasting a bitmore in the second half.

Gonna be a fun year.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #35
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
and if he were to follow the same pattern, he'd have a down year this upcoming season.......
Or Abraham will fill in some of those FFs.

Stripping a QB seems to be an underrated skill around here. Jason Taylor was the master at this. That cannot be described as luck. Bruce smith? Was incredible at it. Abraham and freeney are great too. Chris doleman? These are players who used their arms to their advantage when attacking QBs. Dumervil falls into that catagory IMO.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think you are right about the offense. Denver averaged 30 [points a game last year but I feel they will be having more 21 point halves this year and coasting a bitmore in the second half.

Gonna be a fun year.
Ya it seems like we left some points on the field last year. This year I'm anticipating those 3rd and 1s to get converted. How many times did we see 1st and 10, then 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 in a drive.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #37
Bacchus

Quote:
Ya it seems like we left some points on the field last year. This year I'm anticipating those 3rd and 1s to get converted. How many times did we see 1st and 10, then 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 in a drive.
Denver is going to be more agressive and they should be. Denver's passing game is going to be very lethal. I wouldn't mind seeing Lacy/M. Ball sharing reps with McGahee this year either. See how Hilliman improves as the speed back.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #38
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Wolfe has already broken out ... rookie started every game and notched 6 sacks.

Ayers' ceiling is well established, not flexible enough for a breakout.

Malik is the man ... wish he'd seen a few more snaps this year, but here's a refresher: 91 TFL and 1st team all-SEC his two years at Tennessee.

Pre-season recap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Legwold
Jackson has certainly caught the Broncos' eye, as well as the eyes of scouts from other teams who have seen him play this preseason. The fifth-round pick has consistently stood out when on the field, including two tackles, a tackle for loss and a forced fumble Sunday against the 49ers' reserves.

In fact, other than rookie Derek Wolfe, the Broncos' second-round pick who has quickly moved into the starting lineup, none of the Broncos' other draft picks from this past April may have played as well in the preseason as Jackson has.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21410238/broncos-malik-jackson-making-good-first-impression-coaches
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #39
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Wolfe has already broken out ... rookie started every game and notched 6 sacks.
Pretty much, plus Wolfe isn't moving to the weak side. He's strong side with some DT snaps, so he's not really in the discussion on replacing Doom.

Quote:
Ayers' ceiling is well established, not flexible enough for a breakout.
I wouldn't say that. He's spent time in a rotation since getting back to DE, and most of that rotation has been spent on the strong side when the current staff consider him more of a natural weak side DE, but Doom has blocked him off from any real consistent snaps there.

I'd say short term Ayers is the guy who is most likely to step up and fill the gap. Long term I like Malik Jackson, though he does seem a better fit from a size standpoint at strong side along with Wolfe (who might also become more of a DT in a year or two, clearing room for Jackson there instead of on the weak side).

I think it's entirely possible the real long term pass rush replacement has yet to be drafted, and now has likely become a higher priority in this draft.

I'd like to see them grab John Simon, DE from Ohio State in the 3rd or 4th. he's got a similar game to Doom in terms of having really developed pass rush technique for a college end.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote