The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #26
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

This new rule is the dumbest one yet. NFL is becoming a joke. Jeff Fisher saying these rule changes not changing the integrity of the outcomes only making it safer is BS. Games already decided on what is going to qbs head or knees etc etc. I see more cheap first downs from crappy judgement calls in the NFL then ever before. I don't think a game goes by where I don't disagree and say he hit the guy in the shoulder pad, with his shoulder pad, and they still called it helmet to helmet.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

First off, any player using their Helmet to create contact should be a penalty, but we'll have to see how the refs call it. Most of the personal foul rules are ok, but the refs call them too often. I'm sure this will be no different.

And the tuck rule was a dumb rule, but are the going to retroactively change the rule before the Broncos vs Ravens playoff game?
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Way too finnicky of a rule. The problem is it's gonna be another judgment call. I see runningbacks slip up and dive for extra yardage all the time heading outside the tacklebox. Let's take Tebow vs. Revis awhile back. What is going to be called when a runner is outside the tacklebox and puts his head down, trying to run for the first down marker? Is that going to be a fifteen yard penalty? Because that play happens at least once a game in the NFL. What about the guys who reel back on hitting too hard, because they think it'll cause a penalty? That's how players get extra yards in the NFL because others are too afraid to hit them in moments like that. I understand the need to protect players, but this is a little whimsical. Judgment calls and rules that are very situational (outside the tackle box) are often the ones that cause problems...
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
I'm curious to see what the implications of this rule are going to be and how it's applied to the field. It seems like a dumb rule on paper for a league that I feel already gives the officials too much say in the outcome of any given game.
I wonder how long it will take to get this ****-canned. 3 games?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #30
Punisher
The Horsemen Are coming

For You WOOOOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Oh man do i miss the 90's that was real football.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #31
joe9999
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yes and here's why. Most of the time when a defender is hitting a RB he's expecting the contact. Alot of the hits RB's and WR's used to take from defenders that used the crown, they did not see them, they could be coming from all sorts of angles. Not to mention there is only one ball carrier and many defenders. I'm sorry but if your a defender running up to a ball carrier and you get your dome rocked, you suck. Either hit him lower or adjust your approach to where you can make contact at a slight angle rather then head on.

This rule sucks. I can see in 20 years the NFL will be the NFFL - the National Flag Football League, hahaha.
You make an excellent point. This rule will change the game. That being said, I remember playing middle linebacker as a kid and having my bell rung over and over by a huge full back leading with the crown of his helmut. I couldn't get low enough. He would pratically dive into the ground. The kid was illegal to boot, since he was over weight and age for the league. Several games later he had to change leagues. So I can relate to defensive players.

There are two valid sides to this issue.
joe9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #32
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
If I understand the new rule correctly, that hit would still be legal since it didn't happen outside the tackle box.
If so then this rule is even more idiotic
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote