The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #76
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Denver will get an awesome player to replace Elvis somehow.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #77
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Denver will get an awesome player to replace Elvis somehow.
I hope it's Bennett. That guy is a tfl monster.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #78
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Biggest play?
That's easy

When he LIT UP Roy Williams over the middle in 2009 vs. the Cowboys.
The three that come to mind:

1) The Williams hit
2) vs. Saints in 2009, blew up Pierre Thomas on 4th down (I think). If he misses that, Thomas goes for a game-winning TD.
3) Can't remember the particulars but he was spying Michael Vick in 2004. Vick tried to get the corner on him and DJ just exploded into him.

Overall I liked DJ but this move is a no-brainer. He was a beloved teammate in the locker room and never publicly b****ed about being moved around annually to my knowledge. He obviously had his issues but from '04-'12 I'd say the good outweighed the bad.

Quote:
I am happy that Joe got some money. He is a real nice guy and has a family. But we can cut him now and he can get out of the NFL and go back to NDSU and become a Defensive Assistant or LB coach. GO JOE
Joe still has value around the league as a good special teams player and a stop-gap starter as a SILB in the 3-4, IMO.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #79
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

This is a very sad day, very much on par with the Baltimore game and the Jacksonville game.....albeit not unexpected, so perhaps that made it easier.

I want to express my gratefulness to DJ for being an excellent starter for us for 8 straight years. That's very hard to find. Especially where someone's got alot of ability and gets moved around and dicked around and still is able to make significant contributions at a wide variety of positions and in both 4-3 and 3-4 defensive fronts for multiple coaches. I very much appreciate him putting his ego aside and being unselfish by playing out of position even though it stunted his career and the team unfortunately wasn't held accountable for its own stupidity and pigheadedness in this regard. I know some have suggested that he was a selfish player and were glad to see him go, but that's actually the exact opposite of selfishness. Someone who could have demanded a trade and went on to be a stud at WLB in a place that had actually good defensive linemen to help him out, and a continuity of scheme and coordinators, but rather just did his job whether it be at Sam, Mike, in the 3-4 or the 4-3 and did it quietly and effectively, without complaint is far from selfish. It's a sad testament to the ungratefulness of Denver fans that you see these types of comments. This is not to say he was without some faults. His game had some holes, even though overall he was a very good player and an excellent athlete (and in my own opinion, he had at least two Pro Bowl caliber seasons, and that is even apart from the one year he was an alternate). It's a shame he was treated as shabbily as he was by the team (and some of the fanbase). To be sure, over the course of his nine years here, he did have a few off the field incidents that marred his otherwise solid reputation in the lockerroom. Its unfortunate that top brass wasn't exactly a role model for players to follow in this area, but ultimately each person is responsible for their own actions and that's how it should be IMO. He made some key errors in that regard and naturally paid the price that was due for it.

Among the many things I will remember fondly are his amazing rookie year at WLB and his Pro Bowl quality season in 2008 again at WLB before it was interrupted by injury in the Dolphins game. I can't recall the last time we had a LB as versatile as he was. In 2009 and 2010, even Satan himself admitted that he was a great player (despite not drafting him) and he began contributing substantially even in the area of sacks, where he tied for the team lead one season and matched that same total again. I will always be proud of the fact that DJ was almost perennially the team's leading tackler and was very consistent and yes....he did also make big plays as well, contrary to popular thought. I'm reminded of the game saving TFL against NO in 2008, a b****slapping of LT and Rivers in 2009 in SD, the impaling of Roy Williams and alot of key plays at important moments in his shortened 2011 season, with the strip-sack at Miami and the Chicago game.

It was a pleasure to have my favorite recruit from the 2000 class join my favorite college team and then be drafted by my favorite pro team. Wouldn't trade having him here from 04-12 for the world (or for Steven Jackson, who was not even Denver's top choice at RB as he was judged not to be a good ZBS system fit. One wonders why people would grouse at an 8 year starter at LB when the alternative was Michigan's Chris Perry, who flamed out of the league fairly quickly?) Thank you for all your contributions here, DJ. It's too bad much of the fanbase did not appreciate what you brought to the table. I know each and every head coach you had definitely did and went out of their way to say it. I also know people wished for someone more extroverted at the LB position, perhaps our fans would have preferred more of a loudmouth and an attention whore, but I'm glad you did your thing consistently week to week quietly and helped to create a positive atmosphere for young players, even those players who eventually would take your job. I know Woodyard is a big fan of DJ and has said that more than once. I'm sure he appreciates all the help you gave him during his career, just as you appreciated what Big Al did for you in showing you the ropes. Thanks for everything, including work you did in the community which does not get much pub.

You will ALWAYS be in that top pantheon of Broncos to me, right alongside Elway and Cutler. There's no defender I've ever liked better or will ever like better. You will always be my all-time adopt a Bronco.

Goodbye DJ and I hope you catch on somewhere else and kick some serious ass. I wish you all the best.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #80
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Elway, Cutler and DJ...

Anyway, been a pity the way DJ has turned out. There definitely was a tremendous talent there when he first came to the Broncos, in a better situation he could have been a regular Pro-Bowl caliber player I have no doubt. His off-field issues in the last few years were unfortunate and did him no favours either.

No-brainer to cut him with the emergence of Woodyard though, I'm sure he'll go somewhere and be a serviceable WLB but he won't be missed in Denver.

Here's hoping we spend the money we save from this on bringing in a quality player.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #81
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

It's to bad he had his off the field issues. It also makes you wonder how much better his career his could have been had he stayed at WLB the whole time. It's a move that was obvious that had to be made. Wonder who will sign him?
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #82
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

DJ is a commie.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #83
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Can't say I'm shocked.

I think he'll latch on somewhere else and do okay. As long as he stays away from the sauce.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #84
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

DJ, DJ, DJ.

The thing about DJ is really simple. Kid has been a freakish athlete forever, so good he could play any and all LB positions in actually any front as well.

What the problem always was, he needed a real simple Job description and to stick with it. Kid was a jack of all trades, master of none. He could flow to the ball as a Will with the best of them, but he still did not make Derrick Brooks plays from there. So, he spent all his time in DEN being a utility infielder LB, because he never matured mentally enough to excel at any position. IF, he simply could anticipate and react faster to plays in front of him, he could have been London Fletcher good and a lock for the HOF.

However, he always struggled with the mental side of the game and taking the next step mentally. It is a testament to his physical abilities that he stayed for so long. Football is 90% mental at that level, everyone in the league has the physical credentials to play in the NFL. It's the guys who are football smart who are the great ones. Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Heck even Peyton Manning and many others were not ELITE athletically. They were ELITE mentally and preparationally. Nobody outworked them and Very few understand the game the way they did and were able to exploit people mentally.

Good Luck DJ, I hope you get a chance with a simple system and get to play WILL for a few more years in Tampa 2 style defense. Someone could use a WILL of your talents and just let you loose
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #85
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

He's on ESPN Denver right now. Said he would have taken a pay cut but wasn't offered the chance. Looking forward to see where he ends up, wouldn't mind facing Denver twice a year. Dennis Allen reunion? Said he would rather play MIKE over WILL
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #86
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

DJ is now a duh bear

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5757756.story
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #87
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Williams and J Cutty? SoCal might be packing his bags for Chicago right about now.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #88
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Williams and J Cutty? SoCal might be packing his bags for Chicago right about now.
Don't forget Marshall.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #89
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

quick get IV's and Fluids to Socal or he'll end up dying!
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #90
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

This is a very sad day, very much on par with the Baltimore game and the Jacksonville game.....albeit not unexpected, so perhaps that made it easier.

I want to express my gratefulness to DJ for being an excellent starter for us for 8 straight years. That's very hard to find. Especially where someone's got alot of ability and gets moved around and dicked around and still is able to make significant contributions at a wide variety of positions and in both 4-3 and 3-4 defensive fronts for multiple coaches. I very much appreciate him putting his ego aside and being unselfish by playing out of position even though it stunted his career and the team unfortunately wasn't held accountable for its own stupidity and pigheadedness in this regard. I know some have suggested that he was a selfish player and were glad to see him go, but that's actually the exact opposite of selfishness. Someone who could have demanded a trade and went on to be a stud at WLB in a place that had actually good defensive linemen to help him out, and a continuity of scheme and coordinators, but rather just did his job whether it be at Sam, Mike, in the 3-4 or the 4-3 and did it quietly and effectively, without complaint is far from selfish. It's a sad testament to the ungratefulness of Denver fans that you see these types of comments. This is not to say he was without some faults. His game had some holes, even though overall he was a very good player and an excellent athlete (and in my own opinion, he had at least two Pro Bowl caliber seasons, and that is even apart from the one year he was an alternate). It's a shame he was treated as shabbily as he was by the team (and some of the fanbase). To be sure, over the course of his nine years here, he did have a few off the field incidents that marred his otherwise solid reputation in the lockerroom. Its unfortunate that top brass wasn't exactly a role model for players to follow in this area, but ultimately each person is responsible for their own actions and that's how it should be IMO. He made some key errors in that regard and naturally paid the price that was due for it.

Among the many things I will remember fondly are his amazing rookie year at WLB and his Pro Bowl quality season in 2008 again at WLB before it was interrupted by injury in the Dolphins game. I can't recall the last time we had a LB as versatile as he was. In 2009 and 2010, even Satan himself admitted that he was a great player (despite not drafting him) and he began contributing substantially even in the area of sacks, where he tied for the team lead one season and matched that same total again. I will always be proud of the fact that DJ was almost perennially the team's leading tackler and was very consistent and yes....he did also make big plays as well, contrary to popular thought. I'm reminded of the game saving TFL against NO in 2008, a b****slapping of LT and Rivers in 2009 in SD, the impaling of Roy Williams and alot of key plays at important moments in his shortened 2011 season, with the strip-sack at Miami and the Chicago game.

It was a pleasure to have my favorite recruit from the 2000 class join my favorite college team and then be drafted by my favorite pro team. Wouldn't trade having him here from 04-12 for the world (or for Steven Jackson, who was not even Denver's top choice at RB as he was judged not to be a good ZBS system fit. One wonders why people would grouse at an 8 year starter at LB when the alternative was Michigan's Chris Perry, who flamed out of the league fairly quickly?) Thank you for all your contributions here, DJ. It's too bad much of the fanbase did not appreciate what you brought to the table. I know each and every head coach you had definitely did and went out of their way to say it. I also know people wished for someone more extroverted at the LB position, perhaps our fans would have preferred more of a loudmouth and an attention whore, but I'm glad you did your thing consistently week to week quietly and helped to create a positive atmosphere for young players, even those players who eventually would take your job. I know Woodyard is a big fan of DJ and has said that more than once. I'm sure he appreciates all the help you gave him during his career, just as you appreciated what Big Al did for you in showing you the ropes. Thanks for everything, including work you did in the community which does not get much pub.

You will ALWAYS be in that top pantheon of Broncos to me, right alongside Elway and Cutler. There's no defender I've ever liked better or will ever like better. You will always be my all-time adopt a Bronco.

Goodbye DJ and I hope you catch on somewhere else and kick some serious ass. I wish you all the best.

This
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #91
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Do they think DJ is going to be their new MLB?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #92
jerseyboiler120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

Well written. Sometimes in life you really wanna turn back the clock.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #93
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Do they think DJ is going to be their new MLB?
Yes, my bear fan friend thinks they will move Briggs or McCleallan(sp?) to SAM, DJ at MIKE and either McCleallan(sp?) Briggs at WILL

Either way DJ is playing MIKE.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #94
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

SoCal has gotta be the happiest dude ever.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #95
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
SoCal has gotta be the happiest dude ever.
NTTAWWT
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #96
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

1 year deal for 900k plus incentives. Nobody wanted DJ apparently.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #97
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

So do you think Jay Culter is going to be part of Dyme life now!?!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #98
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Jay has a new drinking buddy!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #99
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

DJ playing Mike for da bearsss? That's gold Jerry, GOLD!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #100
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

WOW first Marshall now DJ

The rumor must be true. Cutler really is their GM.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote