The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #76
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikai View Post
Im a graphic designer. When Im designing a badass wedding invitation, they usually ask "Do you have any suggestions?" I want to say "Don't get married" but instead I just tell them to use purple ink.
Awesome.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #77
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Don't try and dictate a graduate degree plan yourself. Your school has milestones and prerequisites for reasons.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #78
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm a lawyer who does nothing but defend an insurance company in workers compensation proceedings. Being successful at least for me requires overpreparation. Like maniacal overpreparation. This can be exhausting but you will rarely if ever get caught in a bad spot and you will be able to anticipate just about anything. It's like anything else...hard work and hours are the answer. I've found that when you develop a reputation of forcing the opponent to really work to get something it is alot easier to get stuff done quickly.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #79
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm a lawyer who does nothing but defend an insurance company in workers compensation proceedings. Being successful at least for me requires overpreparation. Like maniacal overpreparation. This can be exhausting but you will rarely if ever get caught in a bad spot and you will be able to anticipate just about anything. It's like anything else...hard work and hours are the answer. I've found that when you develop a reputation of forcing the opponent to really work to get something it is alot easier to get stuff done quickly.
I really like this post.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #80
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Follow your dreams, you can achieve your goals. . . I am living proof. Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #81
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I really like this post.
I find it slightly chilling.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #82
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Sales Manager- Praise people at random times with seriousness. They will kill for you when you need it.

Rental Property owner- Own 54-Manage 40 More- You can do more than you think you can. Doing it is just the grind of doing it. Have a high tolerance for inconvenience. Work harder for shorter. Enjoy the work even if you didn't at first you can make yourself enjoy it.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #83
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

In the graphic design business or the creative business, the greatest ideas happen outside the office or work place. Take a break, go for a walk, go into a museum - art gallery, record store. Don't over think it. Let it come to you from the mundane experiences in life!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #84
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Agree with over preparation is key. I periodically have to give status briefs to rooms full of upwards of 40 people and knowing what they will ask and having plans in place to address shortcomings and knowing what the impacts are is key to showing senior leadership that everything is under control. As soon as a little bit of doubt creeps in, it's all over and the doors get blown off. I've seen people get absolutely cut up and killed because they were not prepared and didn't know how to navigate the mine field, so to speak. Or worse, they didn't even know they were stepping into a mine field type situation.

Once you earn people's trust by demonstrating competence and develop an understanding that when you don't know the answer to something you are willing to listen to others who have valid opinions, gather that information, then make an intelligent decision, things get so much easier and people will respect you and be on board with decisions they might not agree with, making your team run better as a solidified unit.

Rugby, very cool that you're working with around 100 properties. Something I will be getting into in the near future.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #85
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I find it slightly chilling.
+1
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #86
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Software Engineer/Architect:

Biggest Tip: Learn to delegate. You can't do it all, no matter how hard you work. Find (hire) good folks that can be trusted (and don't hesitate to fire those that can't) and delegate.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #87
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Sales and Production: Operate with integrity, communicate effectively and clearly, delegate accordingly. Knowing your job is one thing, as it's always good to know more than the other guy and to know your competition. However, if you can't do your job with integrity it will always come back to haunt you. It doesn't matter if the competition or your customer is dishonest, keep your integrity, don't cut corners, and always try to have a great attitude.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #88
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
plan your work and then work your plan.
Did you steal this from Failure is not an Option? That is totally something I learned from Gene!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #89
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I'm an IT Consultant, didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already shared.

Always backup your work. If your writing a Word doc or Spread Sheet save it with a file name when you create it then hit save frequently. Also save your most important files to a 2nd source and a 3rd offsite source if it is very important. Never know when you will lose power. This goes for those who write code or config gear.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #90
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I'm an IT Consultant, didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already shared.

Always backup your work. If your writing a Word doc or Spread Sheet save it with a file name when you create it then hit save frequently. Also save your most important files to a 2nd source and a 3rd offsite source if it is very important. Never know when you will lose power. This goes for those who write code or config gear.
If you write code -- any code, and aren't using source control you should quit and go work at McD's because you have completely, utterly failed at your job.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #91
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

I'm a high school principal....I never know what is coming my way. Academics, drugs, prom, fights, athletics, lawyers, parents, child abuse, car wrecks, disabilities, rotary club, suicides, facebook drama, threats, celebrations...and kids achieving their dreams. You have to have a service minded attitude and thick skin. Somedays your the bug, other days your the windshield.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #92
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
Question for the Mane, is College the absolute best way to go in America, I've got an associates and have a pretty good job right now, what are my chances of getting another good job with 2 more years of school
Student loan debt is supposedly the next "bubble" ... Personally I think 4 year liberal arts degrees will soon be a thing of the past. Unless you're set on a career that mands credentials, maybe think about adopting a flexible train-as-needed career choice. In the 90s, IT guys spent 6 weeks training for $50-60k jobs.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #93
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

If you work as a medium never tell a guy named Vito his wife is cheating on him.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #94
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Student loan debt is supposedly the next "bubble" ... Personally I think 4 year liberal arts degrees will soon be a thing of the past. Unless you're set on a career that mands credentials, maybe think about adopting a flexible train-as-needed career choice. In the 90s, IT guys spent 6 weeks training for $50-60k jobs.
i agree completely. especially now where people change careers so often, degrees are simply used as a simple requirement to get a job when it really means nothing in terms of job ability. not to mention what it does to the education system when the whole spectrum (aka bell curve) is going to higher education.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #95
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Somebody here, can't recall who, works for the mail order gourmet snack company 'Harry and David.' I'd like to hear from him, find out how they manage to sell a pear for $12.

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #96
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Hold the Sales people accountable for everything that they have over-promised to a client. Make them feel the sting, not the client.

Tech side of Digital Marketing.
BigPlayShay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #97
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Thats good advice even for me and my band stuff i have to do. I transcribe and write a lot of horn parts for my students, different bands, my band and it sucks to work on something for an hour and then lose it. So I have learned back up and save every 10-15 minutes when working on something important.

I don't know if we talked before but my dad worked in the space program. His cameras were on the spacecraft that crashed into mars over a metric to decimal conversion or some math thing. I bet they wished they had saved and checked their work over. My dad always told me check your work, then check it two more times. So even though I'm not an engineer I always make sure all my notes are right when I write parts out.

last thing you want is someone hitting the brown note.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #98
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Medical physics: if you want to go clinical get in a CAMPEP approved grad school program, work with someone who can give you access to clinical equipment like linacs, MRI, CT, PET/SPECT, ultrasound - doing preclinical research will not set you up nearly as well for job interviews and residency. Do your ABRs as soon as possible. Once you are ready for residency, whatever you do, do NOT go into an imaging residency - hospitals are outsourcing their imaging QA like crazy these days and you will end up a no-future job with 200+ travel days a year to places like Arkansas, upstate New York, Indiana and Canada. Always go for a treatment residency.
If you want to go research, don't go to a CAMPEP program, you will be doing a ton of course work for no good reason, find a superviser who is young and has a reputation for pumping out a ton of papers and getting their students done quick. Make sure you pick up a key skill such as statistics, monte carlo computation, C++ programming - something transferable that gets you on papers. Post doc is the name of the game and when it comes to post docs, it is go big or go home - if you can't get into a top facility in the States go abroad, don't commit to more than 2 years in any one place and your goal should be 1 paper every 6 months.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #99
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
I'm a high school principal....I never know what is coming my way. Academics, drugs, prom, fights, athletics, lawyers, parents, child abuse, car wrecks, disabilities, rotary club, suicides, facebook drama, threats, celebrations...and kids achieving their dreams. You have to have a service minded attitude and thick skin. Somedays your the bug, other days your the windshield.
You left out the fact that right now most likely one of your teachers banging a student. Notice you didn't mention anything about teachers? Are they that easy to manage?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #100
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
Wait a minute... Last week you were a highly successful analyst with amazing ROI, who held the Buzz Lightyear Criterium Theory as the be all end all of football trades and all other investments. What gives?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote