The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #176
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
So one lunatic (James Holmes) using a large capacity magazine brought on this ban. So when is the next lunatic that abuses a 15 round magazine going to bring on another ban?
Funny thing is Holmes' clownishly large magazine jammed and probably prevented more deaths if anything. There's a reason the military only uses 20 or 30 round magazines. Bigger ones aren't really convenient, or worth the risk, since changing mags is a pretty trivial exercise anyway.

But the Do Somethingers had to hook onto something I guess.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #177
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Except I don't feel that I am being limited. If I want to get a firearm for personal protection, I can still do that. If I want to go and get myself a nice shotgun or rifle to enjoy hunting that the Midwest has to offer, I can still do that.
You don't live in Colorado and what's good for you isn't necessarily a model for everyone else.

After all, you don't have a family or large property to protect, either. Don't speak for those who do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #178
JimmyFocus
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
absolutely.....they took what they could. Next time they will ask for more.
so once again. are you more upset at this law or what MIGHT happen after this? you are more worried about something that you don't even know for sure will happen.
JimmyFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #179
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm ok with some laws too, but there is a slippery slope. I don't want my neighbor to own a rocket launcher because well, there's simply too many idiots around who might do something stupid, albeit without malice, with something like this. That being said, I think high capacity magazines bear no affect on whether the community at large is safer or not. Crazy people are going to do crazy things regardless, and the same with the criminals.
Agreed. I don't think that limiting the capacity of magazines addressed the underlying problem with the whole situation: We have a society that idolizes, worships and embraces violence. A sick, sad and perversed culture in that regard. But how do we fix that?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #180
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
You don't live in Colorado and what's good for you isn't necessarily a model for everyone else.
I did for a year and what happened there still wouldn't infringe upon my ability to (A) Be an outdoor enthusiast and (B) Protect myself and those I care for.

Quote:
After all, you don't have a family or large property to protect, either. Don't speak for those who do.
And once again, these new regulations impact ones ability to do this how? Oh wait, they don't.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #181
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFocus View Post
so once again. are you more upset at this law or what MIGHT happen after this? you are more worried about something that you don't even know for sure will happen.
I'm always worried about the government and their "good intentions."
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #182
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Funny thing is Holmes' clownishly large magazine jammed and probably prevented more deaths if anything. There's a reason the military only uses 20 or 30 round magazines. Bigger ones aren't really convenient, or worth the risk, since changing mags is a pretty trivial exercise anyway.

But the Do Somethingers had to hook onto something I guess.
I know. Had he used smaller magazines (like Eric Harris did with his 10-round mags), he could have kept going and going. Instead, it jammed on him halfway up the stairs, and he dropped the magazine and left.

And yes, changing mags is a very trivial exercise as is seen here:

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #183
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Agreed. I don't think that limiting the capacity of magazines addressed the underlying problem with the whole situation: We have a society that idolizes, worships and embraces violence. A sick, sad and perversed culture in that regard. But how do we fix that?
Society is not to blame for James Holmes or anyone like him, regardless of the anti-social propaganda the left want us to embrace.

Refer to the Mother Jones Magazine mass shooting study and you see the most common denominator is mental illness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #184
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFocus View Post
not for private or online sales.
Post said gun store and online sure you could buy without background check but how did you actually get the firearm? You have to go to a dealer fill out paperwork which included a background check.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #185
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I did for a year and what happened there still wouldn't infringe upon my ability to (A) Be an outdoor enthusiast and (B) Protect myself and those I care for.


And once again, these new regulations impact ones ability to do this how? Oh wait, they don't.
Wow, you were here a whole year - I've been here since conception.

As I've said, your experience isn't the standard for everyone, and that is something the liberals just cannot wrap their brains around. It is not my place to dictate to a rancher in Weld County how to protect his livestock and family any more than it is to dictate to someone in Gilpin County how to protect against bears and lions.

But hey - that's just me. I think my fellow Coloradans are adult enough to make adult choices in self-defense and do not need me sticking my snout in their affairs because I have a juvenile stick up my ass over a single mental furball with orange hair.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #186
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Society is not to blame for James Holmes or anyone like him, regardless of the anti-social propaganda the left want us to embrace.

Refer to the Mother Jones Magazine mass shooting study and you see the most common denominator is mental illness.
I never said society was to blame for what Holmes did in Aurora.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #187
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,249

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Agreed. I don't think that limiting the capacity of magazines addressed the underlying problem with the whole situation: We have a society that idolizes, worships and embraces violence. A sick, sad and perversed culture in that regard. But how do we fix that?
You really are not going to like my answer Req because we don't always agree on things. But my answer is to promote the stability of the nuclear family where the father is around and helps raise the children. One wife, one husband, give them the capacity to raise their kids together and actively promote this and I think this cycle of violence, especially in places like the African American community will start to subside and eventually be almost completey done away with.

I know you'd take another approach so we can just agree to disagree.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #188
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I never said society was to blame for what Holmes did in Aurora.
You're blaming society for gun violence in general. Not only is that garbage, but it's very shallow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #189
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You really are not going to like my answer Req because we don't always agree on things. But my answer is to promote the stability of the nuclear family where the father is around and helps raise the children. One wife, one husband, give them the capacity to raise their kids together and actively promote this and I think this cycle of violence, especially in places like the African American community will start to subside and eventually be almost completey done away with.

I know you'd take another approach so we can just agree to disagree.
Well that SHOULD be looked at especially considering how gun violence disproportionately affects the black community. Multiple studies have shown that kids who grow up in unstable homes (missing father) are more likely to express delinquent behavior. Black marriage rates were actually higher in the Jim Crow era than after the 60s - when marriage rates across the board began to tank after the normalization of unstable shack-up arrangements which are far more likely to leave kids parentless and poor.

Yet another thing we have to thank the left for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #190
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You really are not going to like my answer Req because we don't always agree on things.
Let's see what ya got.

Quote:
But my answer is to promote the stability of the nuclear family where the father is around and helps raise the children. One wife, one husband, give them the capacity to raise their kids together and actively promote this and I think this cycle of violence, especially in places like the African American community will start to subside and eventually be almost completey done away with.
I don't think it needs to be one mom, one dad, etc. Two mom's, two dad's, whatever. However, I agree that having a strong family foundation would help get rid of the root causes of a lot of violence in society.

Quote:
I know you'd take another approach so we can just agree to disagree.
I agree with you that having a strong family foundation is important. I also do realize the links to people who grow up without dads which increases their likelihood to be involved in juvenile or violent criminal activity.

I think you will like this article: HERE.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #191
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greeley Colorado!!!
Posts: 980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You really are not going to like my answer Req because we don't always agree on things. But my answer is to promote the stability of the nuclear family where the father is around and helps raise the children. One wife, one husband, give them the capacity to raise their kids together and actively promote this and I think this cycle of violence, especially in places like the African American community will start to subside and eventually be almost completey done away with.

I know you'd take another approach so we can just agree to disagree.
I agree with this. I'd also add that we stop demonizing religion, as most religion teaches very good values and morals which is lacking in todays society.
Cosmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #192
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Post said gun store and online sure you could buy without background check but how did you actually get the firearm? You have to go to a dealer fill out paperwork which included a background check.
Bingo. You have to ship from FFL to FFL and to get possession of your weapon you must fill out an ATF form 4473 and submit it to the CBI for a background check. I've done it twice; one for an internet purchase of a revolver (my avatar) from Missouri and another when I bought a rifle in a gun shop/shooting range in Jefferson County early this month.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #193
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
You're blaming society for gun violence in general. Not only is that garbage, but it's very shallow.
No, I am simply stating that a culture that embraces violences is likely to have a high propensity of violent criminal activity.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #194
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Folks - the unmitigated GENIUS of Joe Biden

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #195
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I agree with this. I'd also add that we stop demonizing religion, as most religion teaches very good values and morals which is lacking in todays society.
The left hate religion, and the less religious a society is in general, the more degenerate its morals and behavior is.

I'm not even religious - and I see this, especially among African immigrants. If they're observantly religious, they're very upright, humble people.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #196
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
No, I am simply stating that a culture that embraces violences is likely to have a high propensity of violent criminal activity.
How do we embrace violence? Violence isn't remotely spread evenly in American society, so I have no idea where you get this from.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #197
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,249

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Let's see what ya got.



I don't think it needs to be one mom, one dad, etc. Two mom's, two dad's, whatever. However, I agree that having a strong family foundation would help get rid of the root causes of a lot of violence in society.



I agree with you that having a strong family foundation is important. I also do realize the links to people who grow up without dads which increases their likelihood to be involved in juvenile or violent criminal activity.

I think you will like this article: HERE.
Thanks for the link, it's a long article but I started reading it. Being that it' appears to be pro fed-government article I think it will be ok in some areas, and off in other areas, simply because the fed gov won't simply say that one husband and one wife is the key, combined with a attendance at a local church. It will skate around this but never come out and recognize these facts.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #198
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
How do we embrace violence? Violence isn't remotely spread evenly in American society, so I have no idea where you get this from.
Oh mer gerrrd. U fo REAL!?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #199
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,249

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
How do we embrace violence? Violence isn't remotely spread evenly in American society, so I have no idea where you get this from.
Hollywood, the entertainment industry and the gaming industry absolutely floods the market with violence. I contend this combined with the breakdown of the nuclear family is a huge reason why young people are becoming more violent.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #200
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
A background check before you can drive?

Uh, you just outed yourself as ignorant on guns, using the pop culture word "clip." The word is magazine.

It's okay though - a few days ago I had an anti-gun hysteric tell me that "clips" and bullets are loaded from the TOP of the gun.

Sure whenever you go in and get a license they run your name through the system to see if you are dangerous or can drive. I have three guns but sorry no assault rifles.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Denver Broncos