The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #51
INbronco
Rookie

FO probably offered Doom 6 - 6.5 million saying we will eat half of the cap hit you caused but you have to eat the other half. Means Doom's 8m offer is up his ass now and he is dismayed at 6.5m. Wait till the other teams offer him no more than 6m and after a couple days we sign Abraham at 4m.

I bet players around the league are gonna believe that Elway is a real hard ass and you better have your **** together if you want to neg. with him.
INbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #52
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I'm cool with either Freeney or Abraham at this point.
Especially by following that up by drafting a big young DE or DT to help out the line now and into the future.

A lot of people want someone who will help Miller not get doubled a lot. If you really want that I think what we need is a DT who get a good push from the inside. Vickerson a run stopper, Unrien just so average and Ayers really sort of just avg at both the run and pass. He's not a bad player but not one that teams worry about accounting for in pass protection. Get better inside and that will help these outside guys get to the QB.

Could you imagine if we have a RDE who was a pass rusher? The poor RG and RT would have to really worry about when Miller was coming. You can draw a RB anywhere, even with a scrub blitzer you have to pick him up. But to get the guards worrying we have to have a big DT that really scares them.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #53
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
Sign Abraham and Ahmad Bradshaw with Dumervil money and you'll be good to go.
How about a pass rusher and a safety? Maybe Pollard if he hasn't signed. Get us some nasty dirty **** going on.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #54
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Honestly I'm perfectly fine with starting Ayers and rotating in one of those old guys as a situational pass rusher. I really thought Ayers showed improvement as a rusher last year.
He should do well considering he often has miller coming off his edge and only has to beat a guard 1 on 1.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #55
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

meh... prefer we save money on aging vets (you guys did notice that both went into NE and weren't even attempted to sign) and just draft a stud DE.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #56
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
How about a pass rusher and a safety? Maybe Pollard if he hasn't signed. Get us some nasty dirty **** going on.
I would like Pollard too as a SS.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #57
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
meh... prefer we save money on aging vets (you guys did notice that both went into NE and weren't even attempted to sign) and just draft a stud DE.
Um Pats fans thought they had Abraham in the bag till they heard this.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #58
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
I'm sure New England lowballed them.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #59
Agamemnon

Whichever we sign, here's hoping he gives us enough production to win a Super Bowl. Outside of that it doesn't really matter.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #60
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Um Pats fans thought they had Abraham in the bag till they heard this.
Pats fans think they have everything in the bag. There has been no actual news of the team offering him a contract.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #61
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Pats fans think they have everything in the bag. There has been no actual news of the team offering him a contract.
There is or was plenty of talk that there was a offer on the table for Abraham. You can choose to believe whatever you want on the matter.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #62
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
There is or was plenty of talk that there was a offer on the table for Abraham. You can choose to believe whatever you want on the matter.
Quote:
Abraham and Freeney: The Patriots recently hosted defensive linemen John Abraham and Dwight Freeney for free-agent visits, though both left without a contract offer from the team. Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston reports that the reason for this is because New England views both players as part-time rushers, which has led to difficulties figuring out a proper value.
http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/20...ee_agen_4.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...uest-for-30-30

yup... you go ahead and keep believing what pats fans tell you in their forum...

Last edited by Heyneck; 03-20-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #63
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

If I were a GM, I would draft 2 DLmen every draft. You can never have enough DE's and DT's to test and workout. And you're always going to be paying them big money if they're any good so this is one area where for sure I would constantly keep bringing in players every year. You should never have a draft where you don't take at least 1 DLmen, if not 2.

I'm done speculating on this whole Doom situation. If he's here, great, if not, we'll make do. Nothing is going to stop this team from winning the SB this coming season.

As they like to say - NEXT MAN UP
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #64
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

yup... you go ahead and keep believing what pats fans tell you in their forum...
I will. Explain to me why if the Pats don't offer a player contract it's the end of the world for that player?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #65
B-Large

It will be loss to be sure....

But I actually have faith in Del Rio to be able to get to the QB, Doom or no Doom.... I don't think I've been able to say that about DC since what, 2005? Maybe Nolan is he stuck.... But you have to be confident in this management and staff... That feels good.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #66
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I will. Explain to me why if the Pats don't offer a player contract it's the end of the world for that player?
nope you are right about that, it's just that they are in a worst position than us pass rush wise and didn't even attempt to sign one. Could they do it later on? Sure. It's just funny that such a needy team at that position didn't even offer them a contract.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #67
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Ayers>Abraham>Freeney
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #68
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'm underwhelmed by his douche agent
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #69
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
nope you are right about that, it's just that they are in a worst position than us pass rush wise and didn't even attempt to sign one. Could they do it later on? Sure. It's just funny that such a needy team at that position didn't even offer them a contract.
They just drafted Jones and they have Rob at the other OLB. Maybe Freeney and Abraham are looking for more then a role player position at this point and time. Also we are talking about a team that just expects players to play for dirt cheap so there is that as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #70
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:

"New England views both players as part-time rushers, which has led to difficulties figuring out a proper value."
says to me that NE is hesitant to pay these guys the money they are looking for, given that NE doesn't want them to be every-down starters. They probably started talking numbers and quickly found out they weren't in the same ball-park.

We apparently are willing to pay for pass-rush - Doom isn't more than an every-down pass-rusher anyways and we were set to fork over $30m over the next 3 years.

I guess I don't understand NE's hesitation. They have got to want to compliment Jones and Seymour, right?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #71
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Only ok with this if they will sign cheap deals, i.e. not $4M for Abraham. Not a fan of going back down the road of patching the DL with over the hill free agent re-treads.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #72
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Ty Warrens original deal was 2 years, $8m. He was 30 or 31 yrs old, filling a desperate need (DT).

will Abraham/Freeney get more than Warren?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #73
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
says to me that NE is hesitant to pay these guys the money they are looking for, given that NE doesn't want them to be every-down starters. They probably started talking numbers and quickly found out they weren't in the same ball-park.

We apparently are willing to pay for pass-rush - Doom isn't more than an every-down pass-rusher anyways and we were set to fork over $30m over the next 3 years.

I guess I don't understand NE's hesitation. They have got to want to compliment Jones and Seymour, right?
You also have to consider that Belicheat coached against Freeney a good amount of times. To me they are has beens. If I had to chose one of them I would go with Freeney because he is younger and can still rush in rush downs. I have read Abraham was protected by the scheme, plus he also got his sack in short amounts of games and against the crappiest of OL's.

I would avoid them altogether and just invest our first on a DE. But after getting rid of Hunter we have to find a DE vet. So it they are on they cheap, signing either won't hurt really.

It just sucks that all of this had to come down to this because of the incompetence of his agent.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #74
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Ty Warrens original deal was 2 years, $8m. He was 30 or 31 yrs old, filling a desperate need (DT).

will Abraham/Freeney get more than Warren?
I'm willing to bet they are both $3.5-$4Mill guys at this point.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #75
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
How do you figure? Abraham had 10 sacks last season (1 fewer than Doom) and 9.5 (same as Doom) the season before. Freeney had 5 sacks last season and 8.5 the season before.
Freeney had 8.5 sacks in one of the worst seasons the Colts have ever had. Manning was lost for the season and they were pathetic. Then, they get a new coach and switch to the 3-4. He was playing OLB last season, and only getting half of the rushing opportunities.

Take Freeney, put him on the other side of Miller in a 4-3 with solid backup support.....he'll get 10-12 sacks!.....for $4m/yr. half the cost of Doom.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote