The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #76
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
TJ...on what planet is Balt a SB team...
That would be planet Earth. Welcome...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #77
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Champ had a 4th round contract before? I did not know that. I'm saying rewarding someone who outperformed a 4th round contract. Cap suicide. Give him what he's worth and his actual performance instead of throwin in a little extra cause he worked for peanuts before.
Players get retroactively paid all the time. It's how the league works. See Flacco.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #78
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

A lot of people? What lot of people? Couple comments maybe ... in hindsight it's the 2010 injury that taints it most. Xanders (in his genius) wrapped him up before he hit the market a year later. I recall articles predicting 3-4 teams would have gone nuts, he would've set a FA record. Even with that lost season, he has 63 sacks in six years, how many guys average 10?

That contract - like all contracts - is a product of the environment existing at the time. Look no further than Joe Flacco for proof of that.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #79
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
lamo at the maners b****ing about the broncos screwing over Doom...
People clearly aren't aware of what's going on in the NFL this year. The article linked below spells it out pretty well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...e-getting-paid
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #80
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Players get retroactively paid all the time. It's how the league works. See Flacco.
Both TD and Elway were compensated post performance
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #81
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
So the fact that Elway was not a Broncos employee when Elvis signed his contract makes it invalid?

Bowlen inked the same paper that Dumervil did...a la they agreed to the same terms. If that deal was any more square it would have been your prom date.

Elway didn't like it. He tore up the contract...how did he not renege? He calls the shots.
He was brought in to clean up a mess. Bowlen inked it then he reneged if he's letting Elway rip it up. Baseball and basketball is ****ed because of contracts that are fully carried out. Elway is doing the right thing if we're supposed to win a SB during this manning window.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #82
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Because of their previous performance or previous contract amount? If dumervil was getting paid more than a 4th round contract then the extension gets a little icing scraped off IMO.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #83
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

meh, people here a blowing this thing way out of proportion, probably because of faxgate. Elway has to do what is best for the Broncos, Doom has to do what is best for Doom. Hopefully both the franchise and the player can come to an agreement.

Doom's contract was not good for the Denver Broncos. All Elway coud do is "ask" for a change. Elway did ask and Doom supposedly did agree. Well, at first Doom said no, then he said yes. Whatever. Doom always had the ability to say no and walk away as a FA.

The posters here who want to blame Elway for simply asking Doom to redue his contract are a tad moronic. Either Doom redues his contract or he gets cut. End of story. Yes, Elway, as the GM of the Denver Broncos, is supposed to do what's best for the team. Doom's contract was cost prohibitive for the Broncos, as the market clearly demonstrates. So Elway, being the GM of the Denver Broncos and not a moron fan, asked Doom to cut back on his salary. Doom initially said no, which is his right to do. Because Doom is going to do what's best for Doom. Then Doom said yes.

This is the environment in which the Broncos operate, that is, the age of the free agent. Those who understand this, understand this. Those who don't, are well, Tim Tebow fans.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #84
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
What changed in 1993?
Salary Cap was introduced.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #85
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
meh, people here a blowing this thing way out of proportion, probably because of faxgate. Elway has to do what is best for the Broncos, Doom has to do what is best for Doom. Hopefully both the franchise and the player can come to an agreement.

Doom's contract was not good for the Denver Broncos. All Elway coud do is "ask" for a change. Elway did ask and Doom supposedly did agree. Well, at first Doom said no, then he said yes. Whatever. Doom always had the ability to say no and walk away as a FA.

The posters here who want to blame Elway for simply asking Doom to redue his contract are a tad moronic. Either Doom redues his contract or he gets cut. End of story. Yes, Elway, as the GM of the Denver Broncos, is supposed to do what's best for the team. Doom's contract was cost prohibitive for the Broncos, as the market clearly demonstrates. So Elway, being the GM of the Denver Broncos and not a moron fan, asked Doom to cut back on his salary. Doom initially said no, which is his right to do. Because Doom is going to do what's best for Doom. Then Doom said yes.

This is the environment in which the Broncos operate, that is, the age of the free agent. Those who understand this, understand this. Those who don't, are well, Tim Tebow fans.
If I could rep twice on one post I would. Pretty much sums it up.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #86
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
. Those who don't, are well, Tim Tebow fans.
lmao! probably uncalled for, but that was awesome
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #87
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Because of their previous performance or previous contract amount? If dumervil was getting paid more than a 4th round contract then the extension gets a little icing scraped off IMO.
Elvis got paid for his 43 sack in his first 4 seasons, including the monster 17 in 2009. It wouldn't have mattered his contract, first or fourth round deal. He was going to cash in after that start to his career, especially since he proved he can play at a 4-3 DE spot, or a 3-4 OLB spot.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #88
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
He was brought in to clean up a mess. Bowlen inked it then he reneged if he's letting Elway rip it up. Baseball and basketball is ****ed because of contracts that are fully carried out. Elway is doing the right thing if we're supposed to win a SB during this manning window.
Bowlen is just as complicit as Elway...you are correct.

Right now their questionable behavior has left them with no player, and nearly $5 million in dead money against the cap.

As I said in my initial post...it's the way of business in the NFL. They all go back on deals...just like John Elway.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #89
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
meh, people here a blowing this thing way out of proportion...
Agree. But what's going to really be "funny", for lack of a better word, is when Doom not only doesn't get the $12 million he wanted, he's not even going to get the $8 million the Broncos offered. And that's where it's going to get a little annoying. Because the Broncos could've/should've had him for $8 million, but someone else is going to get him for less. And if it's Baltimore (or, perhaps worse and also less likely, the Pats) that will just suck. Let's hope it's Miami or Jacksonville or somewhere like that.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #90
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Right now their questionable behavior has left them with no player, and nearly $5 million in dead money against the cap.
What "questionable behavior"? And the dead money was a known part of cutting Doom if he didn't agree to a pay reduction.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #91
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Bowlen is just as complicit as Elway...you are correct.

As I said in my initial post...it's the way of business in the NFL. They all go back on deals...just like John Elway.
IMO that's why the NFL works well and has competitive teams Basketball and baseball should take note. they agree on making those deals but its not good for their sports.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-19-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #92
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
What "questionable behavior"? And the dead money was a known part of cutting Doom if he didn't agree to a pay reduction.
Because not everyone agrees that asking Doom to take a pay cut was the right move, considering how his deal played out in the next few years.

The team did not need Doom to take a pay cut to sign other FA's. There are/were other ways to clear that money, as there always is.

This move wasn't about cap space, it was about Elway making a power play on a player he thought was overpaid. While I can appreciate the motivation behind that, I don't think it was warranted at all.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #93
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

At this point, if I were Elway I would tell Elvis to shop himself around. If he gets a better offer somewhere and still wants to be a Bronco, bring it in and Broncos will match - maybe even beat it by a little bit.

If the other offer is more than the Broncos can afford, well then, "thanks for your contributions over the past 7 years and best of luck in the future!"
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #94
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
At this point, if I were Elway I would tell Elvis to shop himself around. If he gets a better offer somewhere and still wants to be a Bronco, bring it in and Broncos will match - maybe even beat it by a little bit.

If the other offer is more than the Broncos can afford, well then, "thanks for your contributions over the past 7 years and best of luck in the future!"
Yeah, I don't see Elway really working to hard to re-sign Doom. Obviously he was ready to cut bait and has a plan in place to move on.

Elway has a number that he's not willing to budge on and I'm sure that's the offer on the table, take it or leave it.

Good news here is that it certaintly seems like the team is moving forward and not waiting on Elvis to accept or not. I hope anyway.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #95
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Clearly the contract was ridiculous.
Elvis was THE premier pass rusher in the NFL at the time he signed his contract. Revisionist history is always a lame duck way to argue a point.

Last edited by Dedhed; 03-19-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #96
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Because not everyone agrees that asking Doom to take a pay cut was the right move, considering how his deal played out in the next few years.

The team did not need Doom to take a pay cut to sign other FA's. There are/were other ways to clear that money, as there always is.

This move wasn't about cap space, it was about Elway making a power play on a player he thought was overpaid. While I can appreciate the motivation behind that, I don't think it was warranted at all.
It's not about cap space or Elway making a power play. It's about winning the Super Bowl while manning can still throw. To do that you need to bring in talent and make choices that help you bring in that talent. if there is no pay cut there is no welker or DRC. I'm interested in seeing if this manning would restructure rumor is true or not.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #97
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I think it was partly about cap space but more about cash. And I think the market will prove just how overpaid Doom was. He probably won't get $8 million, let alone the $12 million he was scheduled to make. That's why I think this move was "warrented". And if not for Doom's idiot agent it would have worked out for all involved.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #98
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Elvis was THE premier pass rusher in the NFL at the time he signed his contract. Revisionist history is always a lame duck way to argue a point.
Although great, one season leading the league in sacks doesn't account for being the best pass rusher during that time. Jared Allen and Demarcus ware were ahead IMO

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-19-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #99
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Count me among the majority that want Elvis to resign w/us.\

That said, those implying Dumervil owes the Broncos for the yr he was injured and still got paid, or that he's made more than enough already?...

Maybe Elvis has been smart w/his money and investments. But, we've read countless stories of these "Millionaire" NFL players that are now bankrupt (The latest being Joey Porter's house being foreclosed). It's quite possible Elvis is not as rich as he could/should be.

I don't know either way, or that he's basing his decision soley on the highest bidder. But, to assume he's sitting on $20, $30, $40 Million and just being greedy, could be a bit of a stretch.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #100
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's not about cap space or Elway making a power play. It's about winning the Super Bowl while manning can still throw. To do that you need to bring in talent and make choices that help you bring in that talent. if there is no pay cut there is no welker or DRC. I'm interested in seeing if this manning would restructure rumor is true or not.
I already said this in my previous post, but the stance that those FA's don't come to Denver without Doom re-doing his deal is flat out wrong. There a millions of ways to reduce the cap.

Pass rushers are a premier position. You don't let them walk away at age 29. Trying to win a title you say? Then you don't let your best pass rusher walk. You just don't.

How about asking Champ to take a pay cut? He's not worth the $10M he's getting this year. Take a few from him. That's just one of many options the team had.