The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Default proof we are being brainwashed by the media

For years I've been saying on this board that Americans are being brainwashed by the media. And let me clarify -- by this I mean the news is carefully choreographed to present a certain view of the world -- to the exclusion of other ways of seeing.

Most of the time this is done seamlessly. But once in a while the media screws up and reveals its hand.

As they did recently -- see below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_Kx7UKndI

If they bother to thoroughly manage the news about something as mundane as higher gas prices -- imagine what they do in the case of really important events.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Well you don't need me to tell you that those newscasters are a buch of idiots.

And you don't need to tell me that there a conspiracy that requires the silence and complicity of hundreds of thousands of media professionals is an impossibility.
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Somebody ought to put together all the thousands and thousands of local TV weather forecasts that use the phrase "nation's midsection".

That will prove gaffe correct!
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Does it surprise anyone that there is no actual reporting done at the local level anymore? This is nothing more than reading an article about the same topic in the local paper provided by the AP. In fact, this gas story was probably written by the AP.

This isn't some grand conspiracy, guys, it's outsourcing. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to outsource your "general interest" stories than it is to keep writers on staff at the local level. Conservatives should be in here praising the business acumen of these local stations for doing things as cheaply as possible at whatever cost.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Does it surprise anyone that there is no actual reporting done at the local level anymore? This is nothing more than reading an article about the same topic in the local paper provided by the AP. In fact, this gas story was probably written by the AP.

This isn't some grand conspiracy, guys, it's outsourcing. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to outsource your "general interest" stories than it is to keep writers on staff at the local level. Conservatives should be in here praising the business acumen of these local stations for doing things as cheaply as possible at whatever cost.
Call it whatever you want. It amounts to the same thing: a system of canned & choreographed news.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
Call it whatever you want. It amounts to the same thing: a system of canned & choreographed news.
Now get from there to "brainwashed", as you claim in the thread title.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

The most 'brainwashed' conspiracy nut is here to tell us the entire media is conspiring to 'brainwash' the whole population?
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

The blurb about the price of gas is a trivial example.

But it makes the point.

A better example -- at the time of the 2003 attack on Iraq -- 70% of Americans (including the knee jerks on the OM) believed that Saddam Hussein was linked to 9/11.

A similar percentage believed that Saddam had WMDs.

Neither of which was true. Americans believed it because the US media endlessly repeated these lies. Repeat a lie enough times and people will swallow it. The bigger the lie the easier it is to swallow.

MHG
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The blurb about the price of gas is a trivial example.

But it makes the point.

A better example -- at the time of the 2003 attack on Iraq -- 70% of Americans (including the knee jerks on the OM) believed that Saddam Hussein was linked to 9/11.

A similar percentage believed that Saddam had WMDs.

Neither of which was true. Americans believed it because the US media endlessly repeated these lies. Repeat a lie enough times and people will swallow it. The bigger the lie the easier it is to swallow.

MHG
But why did they repeat the lies? Your mistake here is believing the media was behind the coverup. They may have simply not been able to uncover the true story (until years after), and that's a bad thing, and is a result of media going for ratings rather than story.

But to believe "the media" is one big monolithic group involved in some big intergalactic conspiracy, you're the brainwashed one. The only "conspiracy" here is the media's operation as a for profit enterprise.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

I never said the media was behind it. The men who own the media are responsible.

The media thus serves a small group of psychopathic men -- who were closely aligned with the neo cons in political power at that time.

This close alliance explains the drum beat for war. The media were sycophants for power.

All of this is so obvious now in retrospect -- and was even obvious then to those of us who opposed the war. Were you against the war Houghtam?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I never said the media was behind it. The men who own the media are responsible.

The media thus serves a small group of psychopathic men -- who were closely aligned with the neo cons in political power at that time.

This close alliance explains the drum beat for war. The media were sycophants for power.

All of this is so obvious now in retrospect -- and was even obvious then to those of us who opposed the war. Were you against the war Houghtam?
I am appalled you even need to ask. I have made it quite well known that I am about as close as one can realistically get to being a pacifist and still be able to function in a global society. I'm against all war.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
W*GS
Ring of Famer

gaffe will be very pleased if the US is the victim in a war. The more dead Americans, the better, in his sick and twisted ****ed up worldview.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Well and the other thing is that as easy as it would be to blame it all on "the media", "the corporations" or "the big guys", to do so would be an endorsement of supply side economics, which we all know is bunk. Television shows aren't made if people won't watch them. Nothing is forced down our throats. We take all the Honey Boo-Boos and American Dance-Offs and Great Survivor Races willingly, right along with the same six mundane stories about weather, war in the Middle East, peace in the Middle East, gas prices, police blotters and high school football.

It all comes down to the fact that media is a for-profit enterprise. If you run the stories that the people want to hear, you have to first define who "the people" are. Then you have to decide what stories are worth people hearing, which is a subjective process no matter how hard you try. Then, once you've decided who your audience is and what you're going to tell them, you have to pay for it. Which means you have to get the money from somewhere, and let me tell ya, those advertisers are only going to invest (that's what they're doing: investing) in a sure thing. And Violence, War, Sports, Train-Wreck TV, and our insane fascination with gas prices are where the money is.

So what is your solution, Gaff?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm being brainwashed by reality.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well and the other thing is that as easy as it would be to blame it all on "the media", "the corporations" or "the big guys", to do so would be an endorsement of supply side economics, which we all know is bunk. Television shows aren't made if people won't watch them. Nothing is forced down our throats. We take all the Honey Boo-Boos and American Dance-Offs and Great Survivor Races willingly, right along with the same six mundane stories about weather, war in the Middle East, peace in the Middle East, gas prices, police blotters and high school football.

It all comes down to the fact that media is a for-profit enterprise. If you run the stories that the people want to hear, you have to first define who "the people" are. Then you have to decide what stories are worth people hearing, which is a subjective process no matter how hard you try. Then, once you've decided who your audience is and what you're going to tell them, you have to pay for it. Which means you have to get the money from somewhere, and let me tell ya, those advertisers are only going to invest (that's what they're doing: investing) in a sure thing. And Violence, War, Sports, Train-Wreck TV, and our insane fascination with gas prices are where the money is.

So what is your solution, Gaff?
First of all -- the sports on demand, the soaps, the survival tv, and all the rest is to divert the public from thinking about important issues. Keep 'em preoccupied with trivia. The NFL today is the Roman equivalent of bread and circuses - which served the same function in their day.

As for news and reporting -- I don't agree with you. As someone said - a free press is a great idea if you happen to own one.

The big networks are ALL compromised by conflicting interests. Don't expect CBS to cover nuclear issues -- since it is owned by the people who own General Electric, which makes nuclear technology.

Don't believe it? I suggest you watch Chris Hedges talk about the death of the liberal class. He worked for the NY Times for 15 years -- reporting stories from around the planet -- including all of the hot spots. Hedges can testify to the true state of the media. Reporters who want to REALLY investigate corruption and criminal activity are discouraged from going there. If they persist they are let go.

Before we can talk about answers we need to understand the reality.

I posted this last year but it bears a reply:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCvSntOI5s

Last edited by mhgaffney; 03-17-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Before we can talk about answers we need to understand the reality.
WTF do you know about reality? You think Venus was a comet.

STFU.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

So now Gaffney claims the entire world media....news, entertainment etc, are all in some massive conspiracy to divert the public attention away from 'important issues.'

This, from the clown who claims he never watches TV, let alone owns a TV, and makes Youtube videos while hiding in the crapper.

Christ, Gaffney, get a grip, you get loonier each year.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Brit never actually listens to what I'm saying.

Try it sometime.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
As for news and reporting -- I don't agree with you. As someone said - a free press is a great idea if you happen to own one.
That's a nice little quote, but what don't you agree with? I didn't even offer an opinion, I simply stated the fact that the media is run by large corporations, and that is the price of a for-profit media industry.

So once again instead of providing answers, you give a link supposedly to enlighten me about what's "really" going on, but I'm not going to look at it. Why? It's immaterial. It has nothing to do with your providing a solution to the problem.

So what is it? State-run media? Let's hear a clear, concise argument from you for once in your life.

Here, I'll even start it for you:

Quote:
"Since for-profit media is clearly a negative for this great nation, I, __________, propose the following points as a solution to the problem:

-
-
-
-
-
-

(you can write as many points as you like)"
If you are confused, look at a few of my posts in one of the guns threads. There's a pretty good template of how to produce a logical argument that, although someone may disagree with, at least is based in some sense of reality.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That's a nice little quote, but what don't you agree with? I didn't even offer an opinion, I simply stated the fact that the media is run by large corporations, and that is the price of a for-profit media industry.

So once again instead of providing answers, you give a link supposedly to enlighten me about what's "really" going on, but I'm not going to look at it. Why? It's immaterial. It has nothing to do with your providing a solution to the problem.

So what is it? State-run media? Let's hear a clear, concise argument from you for once in your life.

Here, I'll even start it for you:
If you are confused, look at a few of my posts in one of the guns threads. There's a pretty good template of how to produce a logical argument that, although someone may disagree with, at least is based in some sense of reality.
You are an arrogant guy -- for someone who claims to be a pacifist.

There is no answer -- at this stage. We are headed over the cliff.

Americans do not read. They do not study -- they don't read reports.

So many have decided to eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.

I have been swimming upstream against this current -- ever since I started writing.

Over the last 25 years -- things have gotten worse, not better.

I suggest you prepare for what lies ahead.

MHG
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

BTW Gaff, when is the last time you've seen a dentist?
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Brit never actually listens to what I'm saying.

Try it sometime.
Sure I do, it's mostly nonsense.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #23
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Sure I do, it's mostly nonsense.
Bull shyte. Check my sources.

The talk is based on my research for the book Black 9/11.

The sources are all footnoted.

You just don't wish to believe it -- because the truth is uncomfortable.

MHG
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Hey gaffe - how much mass has Pan-STARRS gained?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Bull shyte. Check my sources.

The talk is based on my research for the book Black 9/11.

The sources are all footnoted.

You just don't wish to believe it -- because the truth is uncomfortable.

MHG
Thanks for reinforcing my point.