The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #51
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I believe they were pretty high on him last preseason with another year of work he could be a lot better and no one is saying anyone will make them forget about Doom
I don't disagree that he may end up becoming a solid rotational player, but I think the broncos are looking for more than that...they're looking for someone to replace doom's sack production. I know beal had a lot of sacks as a sooner but he hasn't proven he can put up a consistently high sack total in the nfl...or any sack total for that matter.

If they aren't able to get doom back I think they go with Freeney for a quick fix pass rush.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #52
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
doom put up most of his production against terrible teams too. And only had a sack or more in 9 games. Plus Abraham is better against the run, despite his age.

Freeney is probably still better at rushing the passer though. But he was invisible last season, and has struggled in his career on grass (according to colts fans)
What are you talking about? Abraham sucked even worst against the run. His 35 year old frame is also a a negative against him. Yeah... Doom did get his sacks against weak teams, but at least he did it on a more consistent basis (I would be more worried of him not getting sacks against scrubs). Did you even look at the teams that Abraham went against and wasn't able to get a sack? Lol. Half his sacks of the season against OAK and ARI... in 2 games!!! Lol. Keep trying to sell it buddy!!! Most ain't buying.

Last edited by Heyneck; 03-17-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #53
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The good teams don't give up sacks lol. They have qbs that get rid of the ball. You really have to watch the games and see if the player is constantly around the QB. IMO Doom is often so he's a great pass rusher. My point is if he goes we can still gt better on defense. Maybe not as many sacks but if we draft a stud DT, and get better at DE against the run, we could have a complete shut down run defense. Force teams to throw it up to our corners who are looking pretty solid this yr.

We just need to add a situational pass rusher and a vet safety.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #54
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Well we need a RB also but sometimes you can't have everything. I hope Mcghee rehabs well and Moreno can last 200 carries.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #55
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The good teams don't give up sacks lol. They have qbs that get rid of the ball. You really have to watch the games and see if the player is constantly around the QB. IMO Doom is often so he's a great pass rusher. My point is if he goes we can still gt better on defense. Maybe not as many sacks but if we draft a stud DT, and get better at DE against the run, we could have a complete shut down run defense. Force teams to throw it up to our corners who are looking pretty solid this yr.

We just need to add a situational pass rusher and a vet safety.
I get that. But we would be too dependent on Von for a pass rush. Wolfe on the other side doesn't scare anybody. All the other pieces that we have are unknown. We can't say Ayers will come in and produce. The dude has 6.5 sacks, and we can't say he hasn't been given a chance. Freeney has been on a steady decline and Abraham is soooooo overrated. Both come with injury history too and are long on the tooth.
If Von misses a prolonged time we are screwed!!!

That's why if Doom leaves us, I bet we go for DE in the 1st and a possible trade up.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #56
OrangeWon

How about Shaun Phillips as a situational pass rusher? I think that he would come cheaper than Freeney/Abraham/Umenyiora. He has consistently put up 7-11 sacks per season throughout his career.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #57
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

How come there's no burn on Phillips? Didn't he have 10 sacks last year?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #58
OrangeWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Saw a stat that he only averaged 1 QB pressure every 10 pass rush attempts in 2012.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #59
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
I get that. But we would be too dependent on Von for a pass rush. Wolfe on the other side doesn't scare anybody. All the other pieces that we have are unknown. We can't say Ayers will come in and produce. The dude has 6.5 sacks, and we can't say he hasn't been given a chance. Freeney has been on a steady decline and Abraham is soooooo overrated. Both come with injury history too and are long on the tooth.

That's why if Doom leaves us, I bet we go for DE in the 1st and a possible trade up.
If Doom doesn't come back the Broncos need a guy like Freeny to play of 3rd downs and come after the passer. In the end I bet we can make up the sacks and get better vs the run.

Having said that i want to reiterate that i hope Doom stays in Denver. He;s a player whose piss poor run defense is worth it because he can come off the edge in a hurry. But if he goes I think Broncos have a chance to not miss him that much and still get better on defense.

Sorry that i don't see this as horrible for this yr. I do understand how its frustrating and hard to see him go. But saying that because we finished 3rd vs the run that we don't need better run Defense from the dend spot is illogical IMO. We had a lot of times in 3rd and short, 4th and short, where our defense knew the run was coming and didn't make the stop. Stops like that are just as important as a sack although not as sexy to th media.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #60
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post

Would not be surprised if we were planning DE even with Doom. They probably already said either this yr or next he's gone. I agree that if Von misses time that would hurt but that is true regardless of Doom. IMO Doom had plenty of 1-1 last yr and really didn't dominate. Miller he gets doubled and still dominates. Miller is head and shoulder above doom and when its all said and done will probably crush him in numbers.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #61
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Because OLB Victor Butler is effectively a similar player but years younger. Phillips didn't have a great season last year against the run and is a bit light for a traditional DE.

But I think he fits better in our D considering we don't have a set 4-3 front and he's used to playing 3-4/4-3 and against he AFC West.

He's also just 31 so he's got a couple of good years left in him so I would prefer him if something can't be worked out with Doom.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #62
DENVERDUI55

Kyle Vandenbosch could come pretty cheap too. Not sure how much he has left but I have always liked his game.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #63
COWheatGrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeWon View Post
How about Shaun Phillips as a situational pass rusher? I think that he would come cheaper than Freeney/Abraham/Umenyiora. He has consistently put up 7-11 sacks per season throughout his career.
Phillips is an off-the-field liability. Denver would be a bad town for him.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #64
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

should have grabbed Osi, Freeney as insurance.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #65
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
should have grabbed Osi, Freeney as insurance.
We don't have 60 spaces on the roster.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote