The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
The Singularity has been around as a concept for decades. Kurzweil just wrote a book presenting the supporting evidence and predicting when it will occur.

It's based on the Law of Accellerating Returns, which posits that technological advance is increasing as time goes by. An example of this is "Moore's Law" created by Intel founder Gordon Moore in the 1960s. It states that the number of transistors that can fit on a single microprocessor will double every 2 years. Not only has it proven accurate, but, as Kurzweil has pointed out, it has increased to every year.

(Note that this is a logarithmic chart)

So the Singularity is when technological innovation reaches the point of the curve that is almost vertical and advances come so fast they seem instantaneous. After that it's becomes imposible to predict what happens.
The problem is, you have a few people working on something like the Hadron Collider while the overwhelming majority of humans on this planet couldn't tell you how a toaster works.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The problem is, you have a few people working on something like the Hadron Collider while the overwhelming majority of humans on this planet couldn't tell you how a toaster works.
One of the benefits of the Singularity will be dramatically enhanced human intelligence.
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #28
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
I saw Skyfall last night, so I can't agree.
Watch TV commercials with my point i mind.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
I saw Skyfall last night, so I can't agree.
Consider my claim when watching TV commercials.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
One of the benefits of the Singularity will be dramatically enhanced human intelligence.

Do you understand how far advanced weaponized versions of IE is and how much money is being thrown at this. Search around the internet.....
Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Do you understand how far advanced weaponized versions of IE is and how much money is being thrown at this. Search around the internet.....
I think you mean "AI." And artificial intelligence is being applied in many areas. It should surprise nobody that the military would find some applications for it.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
"Dramatically enhanced human intelligence" requires dramatically enhanced education systems. We seem to be going in the opposite direction.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #33
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
"Dramatically enhanced human intelligence" requires dramatically enhanced education systems. We seem to be going in the opposite direction.
What evidence do you base that on?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
What evidence do you base that on?
Andreas Schleicher, special adviser on education at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), says the US is now the only major economy in the world where the younger generation is not going to be better educated than the older.

"It's something of great significance because much of today's economic power of the United States rests on a very high degree of adult skills - and that is now at risk," says Mr Schleicher.

"These skills are the engine of the US economy and the engine is stuttering," says Mr Schleicher, one of the world's most influential experts on international education comparisons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20154358

Face it. College costs are rising beyond the reach of more and more young Americans every year.

We have decided, as a society, to pour more and more of our created wealth into the pockets of the already extremely wealthy. We'll see where that gets us, although the indicators are already pretty clear.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #35
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Andreas Schleicher, special adviser on education at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), says the US is now the only major economy in the world where the younger generation is not going to be better educated than the older.

"It's something of great significance because much of today's economic power of the United States rests on a very high degree of adult skills - and that is now at risk," says Mr Schleicher.

"These skills are the engine of the US economy and the engine is stuttering," says Mr Schleicher, one of the world's most influential experts on international education comparisons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20154358

Face it. College costs are rising beyond the reach of more and more young Americans every year.

We have decided, as a society, to pour more and more of our created wealth into the pockets of the already extremely wealthy. We'll see where that gets us, although the indicators are already pretty clear.
Thanks for the clarification and the link.

While I agree that college costs are getting out of control and need to be addressed, I don't see how that would prevent the widespread augmentation of human intelligence by technology, which is what I was talking about.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

BTW, Skyfall sucked.