The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #76
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

When you sit back and look at this, It does make you laugh... What are the chances this all was a huge mistake, making the Agent, Broncos and Doom look like the 3 stooges.

If Doom and his agent indeed worked Denver, kudos to them and shame on the Broncos brass.

Can't wait for the final chapter of this scripted book.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #77
yerner
Ring of Famer

supposedly they were given permission to shop around and the broncos had the best offer. this is silly if it's just incompetence.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #78
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Malfunctioning fax machine? Seriously? In 2013?

PDF the freaking thing or desktop fax it or both. Pretty easy to do at the same time.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #79
Jay3

If there is any justice, Doom will get substantially less when he signs with another team.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #80
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Patience. Let the facts come out as they will.

Too many if's with all the tweets and whatnot.

I hoping, but I'm not too optimistic.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #81
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Thanks for reminding about this. Surely there is some kind of provision for this circumstance and the league will not be absurdly draconian about it.
There is, it's a little known section of the NFL charter known as Provision Q. Unfortunately it states that for any contract roll back, the team's owner must allow the commissioner to sit on his face bare-assed for a period of no less than 3 minutes. I doubt Bowlen would agree to this.

Little known fact, this is commonly referred to as the Pete "Cheeks" Rozelle rule, named after the commisioner who was first required to carry it out.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #82
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
When you sit back and look at this, It does make you laugh... What are the chances this all was a huge mistake, making the Agent, Broncos and Doom look like the 3 stooges.

If Doom and his agent indeed worked Denver, kudos to them and shame on the Broncos brass.

Well - the Broncos brass didn't get worked... They did what they said they would do. They cut him. We are in exactly the position we always would have been in if Elvis didn't accept the pay cut.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #83
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:

Shame on Broncos brass how? They knew they would have to cut Doom if no deal was reached by 4pm anyways. Avoiding $12 Million cap hit.

They just didn't think they'd have to cut him after a deal WAS reached, avoiding $12 Million cap hit.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #84
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
supposedly they were given permission to shop around and the broncos had the best offer. this is silly if it's just incompetence.
Probably talked to new england & belichick told him bout this stunt.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #85
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
He knew what was going on.

Nobody is so stupid that they can't fax a contract in time. It was all a game, and Elvis knew it.
If Doom fires his agent and sues him, then I'd tend to believe the agent really was incompetent.

If he keeps the same agent, resists any effort to appeal the situation to the league office, and signs a contract with anyone else for anything close to what he agreed to with Denver, then I'd suspect hijinx.

Though I'm not sure what Doom would gain by any of that. If he really wanted to be released, all he had to do was stay quiet and he'd get exactly the same result without making everyone (himself included) look incompetent.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #86
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Shame on Broncos brass how? They knew they would have to cut Doom if no deal was reached by 4pm anyways. Avoiding $12 Million cap hit.

They just didn't think they'd have to cut him after a deal WAS reached, avoiding $12 Million cap hit.
Exactly.. the Broncos did what they had to do after Elvis' agent had "issues" whether nefarious or not. The Broncos acted correctly, did what they had to do.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #87
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Malfunctioning fax machine? Seriously? In 2013?

PDF the freaking thing or desktop fax it or both. Pretty easy to do at the same time.
That's why I don't buy the malfunctioning fax machine story. This isn't 1985. You mean to tell me an agency representing professional sports athletes doesn't have a secretary or office manager with the technical knowledge to run a contract through an officer scanner and save it as a desk top PDF. Email attachments? Dropbox? 2013? Completely unbelievable.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #88
Jay3

I wonder if they can get John Abraham with the Doom money now?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #89
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Though I'm not sure what Doom would gain by any of that. If he really wanted to be released, all he had to do was stay quiet and he'd get exactly the same result without making everyone (himself included) look incompetent.
He wants his $12 million dollars. This really looks like a sneaky way to go about getting it. He's not going to get that on the open market. The market is set at somewhere just north of $8 million or so I'd think.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #90
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
He wants his $12 million dollars. This really looks like a sneaky way to go about getting it. He's not going to get that on the open market. The market is set at somewhere just north of $8 million or so I'd think.
This makes no sense. He's not getting it from anybody now.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #91
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This makes no sense. He's not getting it from anybody now.
Yeah, i dont know how this would be "working" denver. Its either he wanted out of an agreement at the last minute or there was truly a **** up...its not like he somehow extracted cash out of them
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #92
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
If Doom fires his agent and sues him, then I'd tend to believe the agent really was incompetent.

If he keeps the same agent, resists any effort to appeal the situation to the league office, and signs a contract with anyone else for anything close to what he agreed to with Denver, then I'd suspect hijinx.

Let's hope.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #93
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Sorry if this a dumb question....But why can't they just resign him to a different deal?
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #94
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
Sorry if this a dumb question....But why can't they just resign him to a different deal?
They absolutely can but the contract they had in place managed the 4.8Mill cap hit over a new deal. When Elvis got cut the 4.8 became a solid number, unmanageble under any new deal going forward.

If I was John I'd call Elvis tell him if he wants a new deal to stay a Bronco get a new agent.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #95
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
They can. But, since they are already on the books for $4+ Million for his 'dead money', and he was to make $8 mil with the newest revised deal, they'd be right back at $12 Million. And, they won't do that.

Somebody would have to "eat" that $4+ Million difference.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #96
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
They absolutely can but the contract they had in place managed the 4.8Mill cap hit over a new deal. When Elvis got cut the 4.8 became a solid number, unmanageble under any new deal going forward.

If I was John I'd call Elvis tell him if he wants a new deal to stay a Bronco get a new agent.
That's IF this was just all a colossal blunder by his agent.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #97
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

What he's saying Kaylore is that Dumervil and his agent were hoping the Broncos wouldn't release him while waiting on the new contract to be sent over, thus guaranteeing his 12 million for this year. If the Broncos didn't cut him at 1:59, but instead waited in good faith, the 12 million would be guaranteed.

The new faxed contract, arriving at 4:07, no longer would have replaced the old contract because the meeting of the minds for the entire purpose of the new contract would no longer have effect, that being to avoid the deadline and the 12 million guaranteed. The consideration and parameters have materially changed. Meaning both parties go back to the drawing board, but now Dumervil has all the leverage.

The Broncos were aware of this and had made it known to release him at 1:59 if no contract had been received.

Now, if that's what the plan really was, who knows. But, that's the point Enjolras is trying to make I believe.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #98
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

What they could do is sign him to a contract that's basically exactly the same as what they agreed to, only with the signing bonus accounted for.

OR... it might have been a problem with the fax, too... could that void the cut?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #99
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:

Doom and his agent didn't "work" Denver. Elways stood firm all along. Elways said, "You've got to take the $8m, or we'll have to cut you. That's just the way it is."

They didn't take the offer (by not faxing it in), and Elways did what he said he was going to do all along......he cut him.

Doom and his agent probably thought he was bluffing........he wasn't.....obviously.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #100
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Bacchus, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy, so I'm just going to assume your Doom homer tail is showing.

There is no way in the name of Baby Jesus Tebow that Doom didn't know this was going on. We're not talking about staying on the line to win free tickets to see REO Speedwagon at the state fair here. We're talking about 7 and 8 figure NFL contract negotiations. Do you honestly think Elvis wasn't on speaker phone with his agent, or even sitting in the office with the agent when they tried to pull this scam?
You seem like a pretty intelligent guy too. Why would Elvis pull this, rather than just decline the extension and go elsewhere?

It makes him look bad. Makes his agent look bad.

What's more likely: that Elvis helped hatch this diabolical scheme? Or that his agent -- who has only one big time client and works out of that hotbed of contract negotiations middle Pennsylvania -- is a ****ing moron?