The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Champ ?

I was up all night last night. Just could not sleep so I was clicking threw some old broncos games I had recorded. I can't believe I am going to say this but I think Champ is a huge liability in the playoffs.

He is not the same, I watched last years game, the year before last, and one with Plummer in it. I think it was 05 when we played Indy. Anyways he gets beat constantly, he seems to play way off the W.R. too.

Is it just him freaking out or what. I'm just curious how he can be so good in regular season and then just blah.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have other times myself over the years that Champ for being labeled a franchise CB gets beat too often by even mediocre WR's.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

its just hard to play 1 on 1 all the time. I always felt that was a mistake. Too easy for the QB to know the coverage on that side of the field.

I think its time to give Bailey some help here and there.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

He does great in regular season though. I just can't figure out what the change is.

It has to be mental.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
SlyEli

Corner is the most difficult position in the nfl and champ has been playing at a high level for many years. He's starting to need help but he's still better than anyone they could get to replace him. He did look noticeably slower last year, but he's still a number one corner and makes fewer mistakes than a replacement would
Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
Corner is the most difficult position in the nfl and champ has been playing at a high level for many years. He's starting to need help but he's still better than anyone they could get to replace him. He did look noticeably slower last year, but he's still a number one corner and makes fewer mistakes than a replacement would
No one is talking replacement here. Lets just clear that up. I do agree I think he is going to need some help this year though.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 03-15-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
B-Large

Champ has been doing this at a high level for a long time, his expereince and anticipation are what keeps him in the top 10 corner discussion for a few years- but he is not the same athlete he was in 2005, but then again, why should be expect he would be?

That's why signed a very fast tounger corner this season... I would go as far as calling Champ a liability, I would say he is positioned wrong based on his age and athletic decline... he is not best served on the burner on the team he is playing against... that's OK, he still solid, a leader... I hope we get the old man an ring...
Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think any analysis of Champ in the regular season vs. playoffs is just silly.

First, you play great teams on the playoffs, that always makes your job more difficult.
Second, we have had so many glaring weaknesses on our defense over the years (many of them attributable to an inferior front 7) that Champ had always had to be one of our best run supporters as well. And I will add, he has been one of the best run-stuffing corners in the Nfl during his career.
Third, revolving door at D-coordinator his entire career.

I can think of literally 1-2 games that we lost because of Champ in his career at Denver. On the other hand, he has been a very consistent component of our winning teams/seasons.

If you want to point fingers, you should start with historic lack of pressure from our front 7 (especially in big games), followed by poor safety play, followed by our #2 corners playing across from Champ, then you get to Champ. When Champ is getting beat, it's generally because our entire defense is getting whipped (and often the offense isn't establishing "time of possession.")
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote