The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #51
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
NO. And anybody here who thinks any RB is going in the 1st round is delusional. Lacy top of the 2nd. A few others mid second, and so on.
Lacy is a first round lock in my book. I think Pittsburgh will take him at 17th overall, worst case Green Bay will snag him at #25. We'll have to trade up to get him.

Franklin will go in the 2nd Round. That might be it. Bernard and Bell should be next late 2nd - 3rd. Ball, Ellington, and Michael have a shot at the 3rd round. Lattimore probably goes in the Mid-late 4th, Randle, Johnson, and Gillislee are in that late 4 - 5th round mix. Davis is the wild card. He could go from the 3rd-6th.

This is a terrible draft for RBs. Lacy is elite. Franklin is very good. Bernard, Bell, and Ball look solid. The rest have questions and/or flaws.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #52
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I think some people are underrating Lacy a little bit. I think if he is available with our 1st round pick, I'd be tough not to take him. I see him doing very well in the NFL. There is a good chance he is available too.

Now, I think the coaches are happy with McGahee, Moreno and Hillman. Probably thinking got unlucky with the injuries to both McGahee and Moreno.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #53
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

RB's get hurt so often that unless you can get a HOF type RB who can just dominate, then spending a 1st round pick on one just isn't worth it anymore. Look at how many good RB's are out there in the NFL that were not 1st rounders and some not even drafted at all.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #54
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Klis says the Broncos have discussed Michael Turner. Blech.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...t-running-back
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #55
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

You know how bad we could have used a sledge hammer like this against Baltimore? Guy makes Jarvis Jones look like a boy a few times in this video. Guys don't want to tackle him. I have questions about how he carries the ball but I imagine that's a coaching thing that can be fixed. Guy is a beast. Get the LB's playing on their toes so they don't get embarrassed in the run game, means they are late to their pass coverage duties. If they play the pass, thats Lacy knocking them about 3 yds back on contact. Pick your poison boys.
Totally agree on Lacy, if we can somehow bag him. Bell is a solid option 2 if we dont get very lucky and have Eddie somehow slip to our spot.. If he drops to 24 or so it will be VERY hard not to want to trade up a few spots to grab him and avoid a Martin repeat of last year where someone nabs him the pick before us.... Anyway, there is no way in hell, even with our sucky right guard play in the Balt game, that Lacy doesn't lock it up and win the whole thing with getting at least 1 freaking yard on that last drive before the colossal Rahim the Nightmare FUBAR could even happen.

Had we a guy like Lacy along with now a second year Hillman as a much improved Lightening combo back there is no way we wouldnt be playing for our second Lombardi in a row this year two of the Manning era...that is a fact.

With Vasquez at RG along with Orlando the right side of the line is a road grader now ... throw in Welker along with DT and Deck paired up with a stud rookie RB ... hopefully Lacy or Bell or maybe Stephan from Stanford ... and we could well have the scariest team in football.

Looking very good so far. Elway is the BOSS what he has done with this team in two years, really amazing! A solid draft and we are golden for the next few years.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #56
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

D Thomas, E Decker and W Welker on the field.....whoever we have at RB is going to be running into nickel and dime defenses 90% of the time. I like our chances with whoever we throw out there.

There's no need to invest major money or high draft picks IMO. If anything, get some big powerful 250+ pound pig late in the draft that can cash in in short yardage/goal line and call it a day.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #57
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
D Thomas, E Decker and W Welker on the field.....whoever we have at RB is going to be running into nickel and dime defenses 90% of the time. I like our chances with whoever we throw out there.

There's no need to invest major money or high draft picks IMO. If anything, get some big powerful 250+ pound pig late in the draft that can cash in in short yardage/goal line and call it a day.
Yep. What you want is a great pass blocker who can keep the play action working. You don't spend a first rounder on one of those.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #58
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What? there is a ball's transplant that Fox can get?
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #59
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

We still need balance to ensure that opposing teams just don't tee off on Manning and running back that average 3.5 to 4.5 yards a carry will increase the effectiveness of the play action.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #60
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
We still need balance to ensure that opposing teams just don't tee off on Manning and running back that average 3.5 to 4.5 yards a carry will increase the effectiveness of the play action.
McGahee has averaged 4.2 yards per carry his entire career. Knowshon has averaged about 4.1. Ergo, no need. Draft a solid and reliable backup in the third or fourth round. Stepfan Taylor. End of issue.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #61
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'm surprised at all the support for using a #1 at the RB position. Haven't we learned, over and over again, that RB's have a relatively short shelf life and can be found later in the draft?

Here's a list of the RB's taken in round 1 over the last several years. You decide how many were worth it. Some great players to be sure, but also plenty of cautionary tales. And note that both of this past Super Bowl's teams didn't have 1st round RBs.

Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson

Mark Ingram

C.J. Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best

Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Chris Wells

Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch

Reggie Bush
Laurence Maroney
DeAngelo Williams
Joseph Addai

Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams

Steven Jackson
Chris Perry
Kevin Jones

Now think of the current guys who weren't taken in the 1st
Alfred Morris
Jamaal Charles
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Frank Gore
Ray Rice
Matt Forte
LeSean McCoy
etc.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #62
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Like Roh said, we already have them on the roster. And, as I mentioned above, we should have no problem averaging 4+ yds a carry with ANYONE considering we're going to see so few defenses playing 8 in the box. It should be like New England's offense last year. Teams were so scared of getting beat by all their weapons in the passing game that they simply ran the ball down opponent's throats with scrubs at RB.

Moreno and McGahee both had success facing stacked boxes. I can't wait to see what they'll do this year with the primary focus being on defenses stopping the pass.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #63
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Like Roh said, we already have them on the roster. And, as I mentioned above, we should have no problem averaging 4+ yds a carry with ANYONE considering we're going to see so few defenses playing 8 in the box. It should be like New England's offense last year. Teams were so scared of getting beat by all their weapons in the passing game that they simply ran the ball down opponent's throats with scrubs at RB.

Moreno and McGahee both had success facing stacked boxes. I can't wait to see what they'll do this year with the primary focus being on defenses stopping the pass.
Both have the capability to reach that mark, but both have serious problem staying healthy.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #64
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Everyone is talking about runningback, but I think the real issue is missing a dynamic tight end that can make plays. That would really make our offense unstopable. Someone like a Dallas Clark that can stretch the field to go along with our weapons at wide reciever would really put us over the top. There are plenty of running backs that can come in and do a great job; it's an easy position to fill.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #65
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Everyone is talking about runningback, but I think the real issue is missing a dynamic tight end that can make plays. That would really make our offense unstopable. Someone like a Dallas Clark that can stretch the field to go along with our weapons at wide reciever would really put us over the top. There are plenty of running backs that can come in and do a great job; it's an easy position to fill.
Dreesen and Tamme are fine here (around 100 receptions for over 900 yds and 7 TDs combined). And Welker will also cross over substantially into this territory. We've got 3 WRs that are fully capable of catching 80+ balls a piece and two TEs that combined for 100 last year. There's only so many catches to go around.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #66
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
McGahee has averaged 4.2 yards per carry his entire career. Knowshon has averaged about 4.1. Ergo, no need. Draft a solid and reliable backup in the third or fourth round. Stepfan Taylor. End of issue.
Yeah both those guys really tore things up this post season for us.

Maybe we should look for some RBs that can play more then a handful of games at this point in their careers?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #67
Bacchus

I think Denver should trade out of the first round to middle second and then take the best available RB with their second round pick.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #68
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Dreesen and Tamme are fine here (around 100 receptions for over 900 yds and 7 TDs combined). And Welker will also cross over substantially into this territory. We've got 3 WRs that are fully capable of catching 80+ balls a piece and two TEs that combined for 100 last year. There's only so many catches to go around.
They're decent options, but decent isn't good enough for Elway. I would love to have a weapon in a tight end that can stretch the field and make some dynamic plays. It would put us over the top and no team can scheme or stop the offense.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #69
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I agree now that we have a 3 headed WR monstor I don't see us going TE attack as much. At least not with a TE we draft really high this yr. Seems like at most there would be 20-30 balls for the TE's and we can get that with our 2 journeyman Tamme and Dressen.

If we didn't sign Welker I would agree we need a big time TE to be the 3rd target.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #70
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think Denver should trade out of the first round to middle second and then take the best available RB with their second round pick.
This year we move up and draft Kenny Vaccoro.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #71
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
They're decent options, but decent isn't good enough for Elway. I would love to have a weapon in a tight end that can stretch the field and make some dynamic plays. It would put us over the top and no team can scheme or stop the offense.
Unless you know something we don't and there's some hidden gem out there that's just waiting to put up numbers comparable to Antonio Gates in his prime for the league minimum salary or close to it, then it's a pipe dream. You can't have stars at every position and remain under the cap. You just can't. Our guys are better than league average. That's good enough when you have the receivers we do.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #72
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

our achilles heel is John Fox.
If he still continues with his conservative playcalling, we will not be winning SB.
It doesn't matter if we get Welker or some other great players.

The problem is with our coach and he needs to rectify his mistakes.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #73
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
our achilles heel is John Fox.
If he still continues with his conservative playcalling, we will not be winning SB.
It doesn't matter if we get Welker or some other great players.

The problem is with our coach and he needs to rectify his mistakes.
And R.Moore and Running Back
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #74
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I love this player. Great tackler and amazing instincts for the safety position. He'd make a great safety next to Rahim Moore. Reminds me a lot of Brian Dawkins even if he's not as big as Dawkins was. Either him or Tony Jefferson would be great additions as a strong safety. I'm not sold on Mike Adams; he's decent at best.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #75
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Not worth it.