The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
COWheatGrower

Default NFL considering lame rule

It's unfortunate that my favorite sports team plays in a league that is slowly getting ****tier. Now there's just going to be more penalties and more grey area on judgment calls.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...into-tacklers/
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

wow...really?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Bull**** rule
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

"hey guys....lets see if we can come with something even more retarded than the tuck rule"
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Walter Payton couldn't play in a league where leading with your helmet is a penalty.

BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Drunken.Broncoholic

Continuing to phase tackling out of football.

Refs would get this so wrong in a game.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the Competition Committee, said he believes coaches will be able to properly instruct their players in how to adjust to this rule.
“The ballcarrier is still going to be permitted to lower his shoulder, and the head is also going to come down to protect the football,” Fisher said. “We’re not taking that part of the run out of the game. What we’re saying is, in space, one-on-one, head-up, we’re not going to allow you to load up and use the crown of your helmet. It’s an obvious thing.”

is this so obvious for a ref? i dont think so

Last edited by ludo21; 03-14-2013 at 03:05 PM..
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

I was reading the comments, below the story. One person had it right. The natural instinct is to lower the head and brace for impact. The refs are going to be able to decide intent, and that is wrong....
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

You naturally bow up to protect yourself as a ball carrier. Just like a safety's body naturally follows whereever his head leads. They f'd up the last rule badly and i imagine this will be more of the same.

Bottom line, the NFL can't grow it's money much larger without more games to increase revenue. They are making a play on how this is safer for the game, but once they legislate violence from the game, they can make it a glorified NBA league and stretch out to 18-20 or 24 games so they can increase revenue. That's what this is all about. The fact that they are "concerned" about brain injuries is a front. Sad days ahead i'm afraid. Goodell has started the propaganda gravy train and Fischer, and everybody else is falling completely in line. The fans will be the ones losing.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
lolcopter

Goodell is a ****ing moron

This isn't you kid's peewee league
Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWheatGrower View Post
... Now there's just going to be more penalties and more grey area on judgment calls.
And the zebras can't even get the clear-cut calls correct. (in cold weather)
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
Popps
It's so easy

So, this isn't actually an Onion or PFM article?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

NFL has no choice. If they don't seem to be doing all the can they could lose the lawsuits over concussions. Blame the former players who decided to sue.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Fitting it in to tight spots

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

As a father with a Colorado First Team All State player I favor any rule that promotes safety. Player health should take precedence over fan's bloodlust.
xznsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by xznsocal View Post
As a father with a Colorado First Team All State player I favor any rule that promotes safety. Player health should take precedence over fan's bloodlust.
Well no tackling would promote safety. How no blocking at all below the waist or above the neck? Would that not promote safety? Hell put flags on them so parents don't have to worry about their little boy.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

did you guys actually read the potential rule? it's lowering your head and leading with your helmet. doesn't say **** about using your shoulder which is what happens on 95% of the plays. ball carrier leads with his shoulder and braces for impact.
not that big of a deal.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
McKay said there was no one specific play that made the Committee propose this rule change, and he said that the play that was viewed by many as the most violent example of a helmet-to-helmet hit in the NFL all season — Bernard Pollard’s collision with Stevan Ridley in the AFC Championship Game — would not have been a penalty because neither player was directly leading with the crown of his helmet.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #19
Bacchus

It's not that big of a deal. The rule is if it is a one on one situation the RB is not allowed to lower his head and initiate the contact. Big deal, teach the RB how to use the stiff arm.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #20
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
It's not that big of a deal. The rule is if it is a one on one situation the RB is not allowed to lower his head and initiate the contact. Big deal, teach the RB how to use the stiff arm.
Defining one on one could be a pretty annoying thing. Seems like there's a lot of situations that could qualify for one on one.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #21
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rother8 View Post
Defining one on one could be a pretty annoying thing. Seems like there's a lot of situations that could qualify for one on one.
Sure the NFL is getting more lame by the year but I am not going to worry about that until Manning retires.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #22
ol#7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xznsocal View Post
Maybe your kid should play soccer...or tap dance.

I cant think of very many examples of a RB getting hurt doing this, and considering the number of hits a RB takes in a career, pretty tough to say any lingering effects are related to this one act.

No way the Ref's can get this right. They cant even get leading with the head on the defense right, seen a ton of shoulder tackles flagged.

They are talking about ending the tuck rule, which suprises me, since it wasnt in effect for our playoff game.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #23
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Maybe your kid should play soccer...or tap dance.

I cant think of very many examples of a RB getting hurt doing this, and considering the number of hits a RB takes in a career, pretty tough to say any lingering effects are related to this one act.

No way the Ref's can get this right. They cant even get leading with the head on the defense right, seen a ton of shoulder tackles flagged.

They are talking about ending the tuck rule, which suprises me, since it wasnt in effect for our playoff game.
You see lots of examples of a safety coming up to tackle a RB and the RB lowers his head the the two helmets collide. That happens all the time and it is usually seems to me the Safety is the one that gets dinged. This happens ALL the time. Now we can debate the rule but you cannot debate the injuries.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I could see me losing interest in football someday if the rules keep jerking the game around. Already officials decide games now. It wasn't like that when I was a kid IMO. Now we have suspect personal fouls almost every game. Never before have teams moved the ball so much from penatlies IMO.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #25
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I could see me losing interest in football someday if the rules keep jerking the game around. Already officials decide games now. It wasn't like that when I was a kid IMO. Now we have suspect personal fouls almost every game. Never before have teams moved the ball so much from penatlies IMO.
After Manning if Oz sucks and the rules keep getting pussified than maybe. I already watch all my games on the internet so it's not like can't just walk away.

Can I not be a Broncos' fan and still post here?

Oh yeah, I forgot No_Broncos posts here all the time.