The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Boston Herald Article on Welker

Wow, what a scathing rebuke of Craft and the Patriots.

Wes Welker just a pawn in team’s bid to maintain control
No loyalty with Pats

What Wes Welker finally understood Tuesday night was they never really “loved” him and they didn’t want him around anymore. They’d made an offer he had to refuse and then let him walk to a conference rival for the equivalent of $1 million a year. Hell, they pay long snappers that much these days.

Then, after they’d rid themselves of Welker, they lowballed the new guy they hope will replace him even though it didn’t appear that way because the cattle take the short view while the owners take the long view.

If Danny Amendola is what they think he is by the time he’s done with his five-year deal he’ll be — surprise — 32, well underpaid and often concussed, just like good old Wes.

For the entire article read here: http://bostonherald.com/sports/colum...intain_control

Last edited by Bacchus; 03-14-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
Bacchus

Tom Brady cannot be happy

QB didn’t change contract to lose slot-man Welker

After catching 118 passes for 1,354 yards this past season, his fifth season catching 100-plus passes, the Pats pitched a two-year, $10 million deal Welker’s way, which wasn’t received particularly well Tuesday.

Welker ultimately agreed to a two-year deal for $12 million with the Broncos, with the $12 million being fully guaranteed.

Welker may have caught 672 passes for the Pats since 2007, the most of any receiver in the NFL during that time period. He may have been the most important receiver on the field for Brady during the past six years. He may have been a model teammate.
But that wasn’t enough to bring him back. That wasn’t enough to keep the quarterback happy. Now, it’s back to the drawing board with someone new. That’s not what Brady was looking for.

Rest of article: http://bostonherald.com/sports/patri...annot_be_happy
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos are so lucky that Wes Welker got on Billy Boys bad side. This has a alot of factors IMO. Sounds like we get the revenge side of a power struggle and Welker will want to stick it to the pats. Not to mention Brady is probably not happy which is also a good thing.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Wouldn't surprise me if the NE vs DENVER game is moved to prime time.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
>Welker adds another dimension to Broncos
Welker does bring the best skills of any slot receiver in the NFL.

He led the league in receptions, receiving yards and receiving first downs out of the slot last season. He had more of each when lined up in the slot than all Broncos wide receivers combined.

Manning completed 71.7 percent of his passes to slot receivers last year, best among all quarterbacks who targeted slot receivers at least 50 times.

Welker’s average target depth over the past four seasons was just 6.7 yards – the second lowest among wide receivers behind only Danny Amendola (who, coincidentally went to the same school as Welker, Texas Tech).

Since the start of 2008, 85 percent of Wes Welker’s receptions have been within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. No other wide receiver has had a higher rate of receptions within 10 yards during that time.

Still, Welker moved the chains to the tune of 389 receptions resulting in first downs -- only two players since 2007 have more receptions that resulted in first downs: Reggie Wayne (403) and Roddy White (390).

Rest of article: http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...ion-to-broncos
Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Bacchus

Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
ClamChowdah

I remember they said the same about Deion Branch when he was traded to Seattle.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post
No....no they didn't
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
scrap
Bleeds Orange and Blue

The 4th Amigo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D-Will

That was a good read. I totally agree with the article but I wouldn't say it's a bad way to do business. Long term FA deals kill the future, so they play all their advantages and have to be willing to lose the next star. It's not all that different from how Pitts has been doing it for decades. How many LB's have we seen Pitt let walk only to reload for less $...until THAT guy needs a big deal, then repeat.

They key is to not be the team grabbing those FA for a ton of money. That's the brilliance of these Broncos moves, short term/high value that don't mortgage the future. Awesome job Elway/Bowlen
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
ClamChowdah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
No....no they didn't
Yes they did he had just won a Super Bowl MVP, what would you know anyway about the Boston media 7 years ago?

Do you remember 7 year old articles from the Boston Herald?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes they did he had just won a Super Bowl MVP, what would you know anyway about the Boston media 7 years ago?

Do you remember 7 year old articles from the Boston Herald?
Branch never at any time was as good as Welker. Branch's best season was 78 catches for 998 yards. Welker, meanwhile, is the only player in NFL history with five seasons of 110+ catches. Branch and Welker aren't even remotely comparable. Get out of here with that weak ****.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
ClamChowdah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Branch never at any time was as good as Welker. Branch's best season was 78 catches for 998 yards. Welker, meanwhile, is the only player in NFL history with five seasons of 110+ catches. Branch and Welker aren't even remotely comparable. Get out of here with that weak ****.
I never compared the players i compared the media in Boston reacting unfavorably to losing both of them.

You're right, you can't compare a guy who won a Super Bowl MVP to a guy who dropped a Super Bowl
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Just another dumb ass pats fan throwing **** at the wall...you lost welker...not some schmuck...WELKER. We know it stings and we love it, so gtfo!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Sounds like ClamChowdah is butt-hurt that we just took a 5 time Pro-Bowler and 4 time All-Pro and threw him in our slot.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You're right, you can't compare a guy who won a Super Bowl MVP to a guy who was unable to haul in a horrible Brady pass when he was wide open
FYP.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
Bacchus

Quote:
I never compared the players i compared the media in Boston reacting unfavorably to losing both of them.

You're right, you can't compare a guy who won a Super Bowl MVP to a guy who dropped a Super Bowl
7 long damn years huh chowder head. Losing Superbowls kinda ****ed up the whole dynasty thing didn't it??
Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
ClamChowdah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Sounds like ClamChowdah is butt-hurt that we just took a 5 time Pro-Bowler and 4 time All-Pro and threw him in our slot.
Why?

We didn't want him we had an opportunity to match the 2 years/$12m, i trust Belichick he is the one who has taken us to 5 Super Bowls and won 3 of them.

I'm not a fan who thinks i know more about football than a HOF coach.

10 years in a row of winning 10 or more games, i trust my coach!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I'm sure you do.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
Bacchus

Quote:
Why?

We didn't want him we had an opportunity to match the 2 years/$12m, i trust Belichick he is the one who has taken us to 5 Super Bowls and won 3 of them.
0-2 in the last two right? Kinda tarnishes the whole thing if you ask me. 0-2 since they were caught cheating as well.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

You lost the only receiving target who can stay healthy all year and Brady's security blanket. Keep whistling in the dark. You are in the minority amongst New England fans who think this is "no big deal."
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #20
ClamChowdah

Well then Broncos fans are deluded because Peyton has a history of choking in the playoffs and playing awful in cold weather and you think he is suddenly going to change?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You lost the only receiving target who can stay healthy all year
Yep. Gronk and Hernandez are made of china and can't get on the field together for more than a game or two at a time. The other WRs are underwhelming. Now he's replaced Welker with another guy who can't stay on the field (Amendola's missed 20 games the last two seasons). Belichick's hubris is going to bite him on the ass on this one.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Welker averaged 112 catches per season while in NE. Nah, they won't miss that at all...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

the big key in this is that they just lost Brady's go to hot route. The one guy on the field that Brady could always expect to be on the same page as him, that would see the open part of the field, get to it and be ready to catch the ball. Brady's int's should go up some this year because of losing Welker. In addition they lose their other go to short yardage guy.

Part of the reason Gronk and Hernadez are so effective is that teams have to worry about Welker on all of the short to mid routes while trying to cover two tight ends at the same time, Amendola may be able to fill some of this role, but I don't think he has the capability to be as cerebral and on the same page as Brady as Welker has been.

It was a bad loss for the Pats and to say otherwise is crazy. Hell even Brady himself is "enraged over it"
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
0-2 in the last two right? Kinda tarnishes the whole thing if you ask me. 0-2 since they were caught cheating as well.
THIS!!!!!
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by srphoenix View Post
the big key in this is that they just lost Brady's go to hot route.
Remember how Welker abused Chris Harris when we played them this past season? We don't have to worry about that any more! We'll be watching him abuse other teams instead. It's gonna be fun.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote