The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #76
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,048

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
It's a little strange that the phins are willing to pay Ellerbe $35m (not sure how much is guaranteed) yet they already had a good MLBer in Dansby. This is how franchises fail IMHO. Dansby is a good MLBer but obviously the phins see something in Ellerbe that Dansby doesn't have. And then the big contract to Wheeler too.
Uh, Dansby was going to cost almost 9 million this year. With cutting him, they were able to afford what Ellerbe is getting a year in one swift swoop. It's about going towards the future. It was pretty much they idea they had after Dansby was signed in MIA after 5 seasons with Arizona. It wasn't because he played bad, it was because they preferred to get younger defensively and set themselves up for the long haul.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #77
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Ellerbe is younger. They're setting the foundation for the next 5+ years instead of the next couple
I understand and I agree with this but $35m? That's a little over the top IMHO. They could have drafted a good young MLBer and let him sit behind Dansby for a year two. I know they wanted Ellerbe bad, and obviously they paid him the money, I'm just not sure I agree with how they are building this team. JMHO of course.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #78
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,805

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

Would be so nice to **** off Rashard and use that money on Karlos.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #79
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Uh, Dansby was going to cost almost 9 million this year. With cutting him, they were able to afford what Ellerbe is getting a year in one swift swoop. It's about going towards the future. It was pretty much they idea they had after Dansby was signed in MIA after 5 seasons with Arizona. It wasn't because he played bad, it was because they preferred to get younger defensively and set themselves up for the long haul.
fair enough...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #80
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,591

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
yup, don't let stats or facts get in your way of a good gif.
Okay, since you actually think your dumb-inbred-illiterate ass is right, let's break this down:

First of all, ****ing lol at your tackle stats. What would you guess, that 10% of DJs are at the LOS? Also, as far as relevant tackle stats go, Dansby has more stuffs than DJ

Secondly, as often we blitz DJ, Dansby still had 50% more sacks.

And most importantly, DJ has 2 INTs in his career and both off tipped balls. Dansby has 11... including 3 seasons where he matched or surpassed DJ's career total.

In conclusion Dansby can:

-Play through traffic
-Make plays at the LOS
-Cover

While DJ can:

-Try to run around blocks
-Make plays just behind the first down marker
-Get beat by RBs and TEs regularly
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #81
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I'd rather spend any money on Jennings and go with Irving, Johnson and a draft pick at MLB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #82
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,463

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Okay, since you actually think your dumb-inbred-illiterate ass is right, let's break this down:

First of all, ****ing lol at your tackle stats. What would you guess, that 10% of DJs are at the LOS? Also, as far as relevant tackle stats go, Dansby has more stuffs than DJ

Secondly, as often we blitz DJ, Dansby still had 50% more sacks.

And most importantly, DJ has 2 INTs in his career and both off tipped balls. Dansby has 11... including 3 seasons where he matched or surpassed DJ's career total.

In conclusion Dansby can:

-Play through traffic
-Make plays at the LOS
-Cover

While DJ can:

-Try to run around blocks
-Make plays just behind the first down marker
-Get beat by RBs and TEs regularly
Good post. I could never understand how DJ could appear to have good coverage or be in position to make a play in pass coverage and yet players would routinely make the catch against him. It's one thing to just get beat. It's another to not get beat, be in position and fail to do anything. That was frustrating.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #83
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,591

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Oh and, my bad, I forgot that pesky leadership thing.

One has been a leader on every defense he's played for.

The other never has been and couldn't beat Trevathan out to try and at least get some nickel package playing time.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #84
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Do YOU believe it?
I believe they are content with it, yes. I don't necessarily agree...but who really knows right? Just being honest.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #85
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Oh and, my bad, I forgot that pesky leadership thing.

One has been a leader on every defense he's played for.

The other never has been and couldn't beat Trevathan out to try and at least get some nickel package playing time.
Game

Set

Match....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #86
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,591

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Good post. I could never understand how DJ could appear to have good coverage or be in position to make a play in pass coverage and yet players would routinely make the catch against him. It's one thing to just get beat. It's another to not get beat, be in position and fail to do anything. That was frustrating.
There's good coverage and then there's good ball skills and the two are pretty independent of each other.

Good coverage is like looking like you're paying attention in class. Usually it'll make the teacher call on someone else, but if he does decide to challenge you, you got nothing.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #87
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I'd rather spend any money on Jennings and go with Irving, Johnson and a draft pick at MLB.
You would rather spend money on a WR right now?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #88
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,627
Default

While we're talking LB, what do we think about Shaun Phillips?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...77586554118146
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #89
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I hope we at the very least hear about us having interest.. Steve Johnson can play special teams, Irving with him.. Dansby would be an incredible steal given that he wasn't projected to be available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #90
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Dansby and DJ the same? I didn't know Dansby was caught doing Roids or arrested for drunk driving.

Dansby on and off the field is better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #91
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,048

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Dansby > Phillips -- but their roles would be different and quite frankly whatever. OK I'm so tired of FA.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #92
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
While we're talking LB, what do we think about Shaun Phillips?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...77586554118146
Phillips would likely play DE in our 4-3 scheme.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #93
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Shaun Phillips doesn't play MLB, wasn't he a weakside LBer for SD?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #94
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Okay, since you actually think your dumb-inbred-illiterate ass is right, let's break this down:

First of all, ****ing lol at your tackle stats. What would you guess, that 10% of DJs are at the LOS? Also, as far as relevant tackle stats go, Dansby has more stuffs than DJ

Secondly, as often we blitz DJ, Dansby still had 50% more sacks.

And most importantly, DJ has 2 INTs in his career and both off tipped balls. Dansby has 11... including 3 seasons where he matched or surpassed DJ's career total.

In conclusion Dansby can:

-Play through traffic
-Make plays at the LOS
-Cover

While DJ can:

-Try to run around blocks
-Make plays just behind the first down marker
-Get beat by RBs and TEs regularly
Actually DJ was very good a covering TEs. I like how you just say DJ run around blocks while Dansby runs through them... Nice insight.

Dansby was not good enough for the Cardinals to resign and now the Dolphins cut him. His next team will be his third. He has not been to any pro bowls. He is what I said he is a good LBer. He isn't great.

DJ is a good LBer as well or he was at least in 2011 before his buffoonery got the best of him.

Sure Dansby is a better leader and he is the better player but it isn't a huge difference or at least it wasn't in 2011. I expect DJ to bounce back fine but you never know.

People are creaming all over their keybords for a 31 year-old LBer that was just cut and has never been to a Probowl.

I'll take Jennings over Dansby in the FA period, easily.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #95
Play2win
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Okay, since you actually think your dumb-inbred-illiterate ass is right, let's break this down:

First of all, ****ing lol at your tackle stats. What would you guess, that 10% of DJs are at the LOS? Also, as far as relevant tackle stats go, Dansby has more stuffs than DJ

Secondly, as often we blitz DJ, Dansby still had 50% more sacks.

And most importantly, DJ has 2 INTs in his career and both off tipped balls. Dansby has 11... including 3 seasons where he matched or surpassed DJ's career total.

In conclusion Dansby can:

-Play through traffic
-Make plays at the LOS
-Cover

While DJ can:

-Try to run around blocks
-Make plays just behind the first down marker
-Get beat by RBs and TEs regularly
Exactly.

The only other thing I will add is one word: INSTINCTS.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #96
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Jennings wants alot of money. Alot. And if he doesn't find that with another team he would stay in GB IMO
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #97
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Shaun Phillips doesn't play MLB, wasn't he a weakside LBer for SD?
Yes, sorry for the confusion. I only brought up Phillips here because he's a LB and I didn't want to start another thread.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #98
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,463

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
There's good coverage and then there's good ball skills and the two are pretty independent of each other.

Good coverage is like looking like you're paying attention in class. Usually it'll make the teacher call on someone else, but if he does decide to challenge you, you got nothing.
I love this. I will take this and absorb it into my essence.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #99
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I love this. I will take this and absorb it into my essence.
What was the name of the gay porn you stole that line from?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #100
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,463

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
What was the name of the gay porn you stole that line from?
That and evil villain in our D&D game last week.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Denver Broncos