The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #101
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Maybe the braintrust thinks having an undersized DE is going to make this defense always a finess defense. Maybe the braintrust wants to turn this defense into a physical and imposing defense. As painful as it might be, Maybe the BBT is just moving in a different direction.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #102
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

NFL.com reports the Broncos are interested in free agent OG Andy Levitre.

Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #103
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win View Post
Maybe the braintrust thinks having an undersized DE is going to make this defense always a finess defense. Maybe the braintrust wants to turn this defense into a physical and imposing defense. As painful as it might be, Maybe the BBT is just moving in a different direction.

Dwight Freeney is undersized. Makes your post confusing.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #104
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Bowing down to the all-knowing Drek.
If this is your opinion of how to debate your views I'll save my time and not rebut the simplistic arguments of a child.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #105
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I for one hate to lose Doom. Imo where we will feel his loss most is division games. He was nowhere to be found like everyone else against Balt.

Keep Doom this list of FA's is hardly that exciting. I would expect a better list having Manning.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 03-12-2013 at 09:52 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #106
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #107
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Levitre is gonna want HUGE $$$$, no matter where he goes.
I am suprisded at that.
Cutting Kuper ($4.5 million salary) would provide at least a chunk of the $...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #108
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
If this is your opinion of how to debate your views I'll save my time and not rebut the simplistic arguments of a child.
I already laid out my views on the Dumervil situation ad nauseum over the past several days. I don't feel the need to rehash them time and time again, especially with a doom and gloom poster displaying logical fallacies and short-sightedness in his own arguments.

Let me recap:
  • Dumervil has been nothing but a class-act Bronco since joining the organization, it will be disheartening to see him go but I understand the reasoning for his release.
  • I believe that by using a different approach (likely rotation) with Ayers (whom JDR likes a lot), Jackson, a free agent or draft selection, that the Broncos can still produce at a high level with a consistent pass rush. In short: I do not see Dumervil as player that cannot be replaced. However, it is clear to all of us that you think otherwise.
  • Getting rid of Dumervil allows the team to be more competitive on rushing downs and improve an area on the team where he has shown some weakness.
  • Dumping Dumervil's contract allows the team to be more competitive in free agency, and will give them easier room to work with in 2014 where a lot of young, productive players will be seeing an extension or bigger payday. I've already mentioned the names and gave a link to how many current players on our roster will be FA next season. It is basically double what we have now.

There is more, but I don't think I need to bother. You have been on the wrong side of most any argument from a player development standpoint for the last several years and have banked your reputation supporting players who can't play a lick in the NFL. I'll leave you to that.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #109
Drunken.Broncoholic

3rd in the NFL against the run. Weakness?

You can say offenses ran less cause they were playing from behind in games. That only reinforces my point that this defense should be set up to stop passing attacks.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-12-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #110
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I'm all on board for signing Knighton. I REALLY want Doom to stay with the broncos and I'm still hoping that he can come to terms with Denver (who is really doing him dirty). Freeney I'm luke warm towards. I'm not a big fan of DRC because I like CBs that can tackle, but I'm on the fence with him too.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #111
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I'm all on board for signing Knighton. I REALLY want Doom to stay with the broncos and I'm still hoping that he can come to terms with Denver (who is really doing him dirty). Freeney I'm luke warm towards. I'm not a big fan of DRC because I like CBs that can tackle, but I'm on the fence with him too.
No, they're not. He's not the first, nor will he be the last player asked to take a paycut in the NFL this year. He's also not the first, nor will be he be the last player who asks to be released instead of taking a paycut.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #112
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
No, they're not. He's not the first, nor will he be the last player asked to take a paycut in the NFL this year. He's also not the first, nor will be he be the last player who asks to be released instead of taking a paycut.
^ Yup. Baltimore is letting Ed Reed go. And they asked Boldin to take a pay cut which he also refused. And they probably won't be able to retain both Kruger and Ellerbe. So clearly they don't know what they're doing, either. They should probably cut Flacco just like we should cut Manning because both are messing up the team budgets.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #113
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

keep doom... those FA targets other than knighton and levitre are not worth the $$, doom is

#keepdoom, lets get that trending
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #114
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i'm all for DRC signing, perfect CB to pair with Champ. could revert back to pro bowl form it would be huge.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #115
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Dwight Freeney is undersized. Makes your post confusing.
Didn't know Freeney was a Denver Bronco. Thanks for that information.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #116
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win View Post
Didn't know Freeney was a Denver Bronco. Thanks for that information.
Well you said maybe they want to walk away from the undersized finess for a more imposing powerful defense. Why even LOOK at an undersized DE then? They would have zero interest in freeney if that was the case.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #117
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Well you said maybe they want to walk away from the undersized finess for a more imposing powerful defense. Why even LOOK at an undersized DE then? They would have zero interest in freeney if that was the case.
Whatever, dude...
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #118
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
^ Yup. Baltimore is letting Ed Reed go. And they asked Boldin to take a pay cut which he also refused. And they probably won't be able to retain both Kruger and Ellerbe. So clearly they don't know what they're doing, either. They should probably cut Flacco just like we should cut Manning because both are messing up the team budgets.
Their situation is a cap issue. I thought ours was an underperformed issue not a cap issue.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #119
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
They may want to play a guy like Ayers on running downs, and a guy like Freeney on passing downs. At $12 million you're pretty much forced to play a guy like Doom every down. See how that works?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #120
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
They may want to play a guy like Ayers on running downs, and a guy like Freeney on passing downs. At $12 million you're pretty much forced to play a guy like Doom every down. See how that works?
And they ranked 3rd in the NFL against the run. Dont see a problem here. Ayers and freeney don't get 12 sacks 6 FFs combined IMO
Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #121
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Their situation is a cap issue. I thought ours was an underperformed issue not a cap issue.
Theirs is definitely a cap issue. Ours is as well, just not to nearly the same extent. Ours is more of a cash issue. And I've never seen underperformance mentioned as an issue. I think it's more about value and cash. They don't think Doom is worth $12 million and aren't willing to pay him that much.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #122
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Theirs is definitely a cap issue. Ours is as well, just not to nearly the same extent. Ours is more of a cash issue. And I've never seen underperformance mentioned as an issue. I think it's more about value and cash. They don't think Doom is worth $12 million and aren't willing to pay him that much.
Most who I've seen want him gone think he underperformed. And I gotta believe the FO thinks at least some of that is true.

I just feel his presence means more to other players ability on this defense. IMO we will see less production out of Von and the secondary with him gone. A ripple effect
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #123
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Most who I've seen want him gone think he underperformed. And I gotta believe the FO thinks at least some of that is true.
"Underperformed" $12 million perhaps. But again I think this is more about cash and value than performance.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #124
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
And they ranked 3rd in the NFL against the run. Dont see a problem here. Ayers and freeney don't get 12 sacks 6 FFs combined IMO
Agreed, but its not an apples to apples. If Ayers and Freeney can do a decent job, but not a dumervil-esque job, but the open money also allows them to sign two other pieces they wouldnt have been able to, then it might be worth it.

i do wish we could get Doom at a reduced rate (as do the broncos im sure), and I don't blame Doom for balking, but it is a lot of money tied up in one player
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #125
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Agreed, but its not an apples to apples. If Ayers and Freeney can do a decent job, but not a dumervil-esque job, but the open money also allows them to sign two other pieces they wouldnt have been able to, then it might be worth it.

i do wish we could get Doom at a reduced rate (as do the broncos im sure), and I don't blame Doom for balking, but it is a lot of money tied up in one player
You bring up a good point. I guess I can't really put an opinion on it until we see what the answer will be, who they will replace with and their plan.