The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #76
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
So your suggestion is don't worry about cutting proven career Broncos still playing at a high level, I'm sure someone will step up from somewhere and be just as good as the double digit sack guy this franchise spent much of the early 2000's searching for in vain.

Really just proves that Broncos fans have gotten spoiled now and no longer appreciate the pass rush hell this franchise lived through for many seasons. Remember when Reggie Hayward was our best pass rusher?

The key to this defense improving each of the last two years was the Miller/Doom tandem, but I'm sure that having a problem with cutting off half that tandem to save a few bucks we can "better spend" on some random street guys we'll have to competitively bid for is a much better approach.

My favorite part of all this is the whole "Doom is overpaid, cut him!" attitude when the only other real use for that money this off-season is signing other FAs, who by the very nature of the FA market will themselves demand an overpay.

Free agents rarely turn into value signings. At best they're worth exactly what they're paying them or slightly less. At worst they're massive overpays and tons of dead money. The fact that Doom is overpaid by a few million would make him a free agency success story by most pro sports FA signing standards. But I'm sure the Broncos FO have it all figured out and they'll only sign the right guys who earn every dollar of their contract.

I've disagreed alot with Drek but he is spot on right here. Teams generally overpay for FAs
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #77
SlyEli

I don't feel like any of these guys are worth the big fa bucks except knighton, who could be a good fit with del rio.

But mendenhall? Fumbles more than mcgahee.

Freeney? An older, less talented dumervil.

Drc? An inconsistent corner who gets called for penalties on a consistent basis.

If this ends up being their crop of fa's I'll be pretty bummed. Why cut doom for these shmucks
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #78
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So your suggestion is don't worry about cutting proven career Broncos still playing at a high level, I'm sure someone will step up from somewhere and be just as good as the double digit sack guy this franchise spent much of the early 2000's searching for in vain.

Really just proves that Broncos fans have gotten spoiled now and no longer appreciate the pass rush hell this franchise lived through for many seasons. Remember when Reggie Hayward was our best pass rusher?

The key to this defense improving each of the last two years was the Miller/Doom tandem, but I'm sure that having a problem with cutting off half that tandem to save a few bucks we can "better spend" on some random street guys we'll have to competitively bid for is a much better approach.

My favorite part of all this is the whole "Doom is overpaid, cut him!" attitude when the only other real use for that money this off-season is signing other FAs, who by the very nature of the FA market will themselves demand an overpay.

Free agents rarely turn into value signings. At best they're worth exactly what they're paying them or slightly less. At worst they're massive overpays and tons of dead money. The fact that Doom is overpaid by a few million would make him a free agency success story by most pro sports FA signing standards. But I'm sure the Broncos FO have it all figured out and they'll only sign the right guys who earn every dollar of their contract.
You're becoming incoherent, Drek. You've been b****ing and moaning about the front office not signing a number of players you wanted last offseason, and now your reversing field to "[f]ree agents rarely turn into value signings." Well, which is it? When the Broncos value shopped (outside of Manning) the last two offseasons rather than "backing up the brinks truck," you cried and complained. Now you're going to cry and complain that they might actually make some moves? And, by the way, let's not forget that the approach this front office has taken that you've been critical of has reveresed a 4-12 team to a 13-3 legit Super Bowl contender in two seasons. That's not sucking off the front office, it's the facts.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 03-12-2013 at 08:42 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #79
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Exactly. And it's amazing how few people on Omane understand that concept. Even fewer understand simple math it appears.
Yep. What some fail to see is the fact that some of these defensive players are playing better than their ability because dumervil is on the same field. I expect to see a drop in production from Woodyard too.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #80
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Assuming they pay Freeney $5 million that is correct on the cap. I was talking cash which is also a consideration. And there are also future considerations such as getting rid of the dead money now instead of next year when we have a lot more players we need to sign.
Like I said, they can deal with Dumervil next year when he's 30. He would only have salaries of $10M and $8M remaining in his contract...much easier to extend the contract at the right price (or cut him) at that time.

They would save $3M over the next two years, if they just got rid of Lance Ball and Matt Willis.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #81
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I am not going to worry about it because I believe that via the draft, FA or current players that Dumervil's production can be replaced.

Quote:
Yeah, I do. And I remember when he went to Jacksonville, had a good year or two and became irrelevant.

Quote:
Yeah, just "random street guys." Take a lap.

Quote:
You assume that they are going to get overpaid.

Quote:
Nobody is saying this isn't without risk. Stop being naive. I think those of us who see the bigger picture (because it is obvious that you can't with your incessant bickering about losing Dumervil) can HOPE / BELIEVE that Dumervil's production can be replaced in a tandmen approach at his position, and that the money saved by his release and others (Willams, Mays, etc.) will allow the Broncos to get creative and add some more playmakers to the squad.

But you already got it all figured out. There will never be the opportunity to get a 9-10 sack a year guy from the DE position ever again, regardless of what approach or avenue we take.

Bowing down to the all-knowing Drek.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #82
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Here's a good list of potential FA targets:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ncy-brain-dump
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #83
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
They would save $3M over the next two years, if they just got rid of Lance Ball and Matt Willis.
And I'm sure those guys or a few other losers will have their day and get a pink slip in their locker Wild Thing style in Major League I.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #84
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

With Fox and Del Rio around, I doubt they will stand pat when Dumervil is gone and say we will just use what we have and they're good to go. They will look to address pass rushing, that even with Dumervil, vanished at key times, especially when Miller was wearing a cast. It would be great to keep Dumervil, but I'm sorry, for people to write off the season for an undersized DE who was MIA in big games is silly to me, especially since free agency just started and the draft is still yet a month away. How about waiting at least to see what other moves are made. Besides, I felt more help was needed on the DL even with Dumervil around, so this changes nothing for me at least.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #85
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
You're becoming incoherent, Drek. You've been b****ing and moaning about the front office not signing a number of players you wanted last offseason, and now your reversing field to "[f]ree agents rarely turn into value signings." Well, which is it? When the Broncos value shopped (outside of Manning) the last two offseasons rather than "backing up the brinks truck," you cried and complained. Now you're going to cry and complain that they might actually make some moves? And, by the way, let's not forget that the approach this front office has taken that you've been critical of has reveresed a 4-12 team to a 13-3 legit Super Bowl contender. That's not sucking off the front office, it's the facts.
Great post. Apparently to some we'd be better off with Tebow (or whatever scrub we brought in to replace him) and Doom than with PM and whoever they add this offseason.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #86
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Great post. Apparently to some we'd be better off with Tebow (or whatever scrub we brought in to replace him) and Doom than with PM and whoever they add this offseason.
I almost forgot that Drek believed Tebow was better than Manning.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #87
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

By the way, this entire thread started because of a small blurb on a website (that I like), but has no ties to Dove Valley. We didnt actually sign these guys; some people are speaking like its a foregone conclusion
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #88
pricejj
jungle

They could save +$10M over the next two years if they signed Austin Collie, drafted a 1st round WR, cut Jacob Tamme, and let Decker walk in 2014.

That would make the Broncos a lot better and save +$10M in the process.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #89
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The most ironic thing about it is that there are fans of Elvis who can't even spell his last name right.

"Doomerville." -- Like the dude is some sort of cross between a human being a Cadillac. Get outta here!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #90
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm not too worried since after all, it was stated by many last year signing Manning meant great free agents were going to fight each other to sign with the Broncos and for less money to boot
Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #91
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
They could save +$10M over the next two years if they signed Austin Collie, drafted a 1st round WR, cut Jacob Tamme, and let Decker walk in 2014.

That would make the Broncos a lot better and save +$10M in the process.
I see what you did there. Except Tamme and Decker's cap figure this year is extremely low compared to their good production. Give it another rip.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #92
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Here's a good list of potential FA targets:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ncy-brain-dump
Add Bills guard Andy Levitre to the list...

http://milehighsports.com/2013/03/12...-andy-levitre/

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...l-transactions
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #93
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Pretty sure that Arizona Toler dude re-upped with them.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #94
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Pretty sure that Arizona Toler dude re-upped with them.
No, not yet, it was an error in reporting. Cards signed someone else, but not Toler, at least not for now.

https://twitter.com/timring3TV/statu...17528871841793
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #95
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Thanks for the clarification. It was the last thing I saw on PFT last night before I went to bed.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #96
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Levitre is gonna want HUGE $$$$, no matter where he goes.
I am suprisded at that.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #97
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I see what you did there. Except Tamme and Decker's cap figure this year is extremely low compared to their good production. Give it another rip.
1. Tamme costs +$7M over the next two years. He should be cut.
2. The Broncos should draft a 1st round WR, and move Decker to the slot.
3. Let Decker walk in 2014 (FA), because he is not worth whatever he's going to be asking for.
4. Sign Austin Collie to a $1M deal this year (if you are worried about production).

Bingo +10M richer...and a lot better.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #98
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
3. Let Decker walk in 2014 (FA), because he is not worth whatever he's going to be asking for.
4. Sign Austin Collie to a $1M deal this year (if you are worried about production).

How does releasing our best receiving TE and signing an injury plagued WR who caught one pass last season improve the team?
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #99
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Exactly. And it's amazing how few people on Omane understand that concept. Even fewer understand simple math it appears.
Says the person that tried to draft two different players with one draft pick.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #100
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:

I will take no part in this lunacy. Feel free to do so in Madden.