The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #426
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
This is another myth that gets perpetuated.
We were third in the league in run defense. THIRD. How bad and detrimental is Doom's run defense that we still finished top 3 in rush defense? And, we somehow managed to finish second overall in YPG defensively with this one trick, non run-stopping pony. What, we would have given up 30 rushing yards per game with anyone else?
Not really. If you didn't see it while watching the games with your own eyes, then at least take some stats into consideration.

1. Elvis Dumervil, Denver Broncos

2012 Cap Hit: $15.6m
2012 Performance Based Value: $1.6m
Value Differential: -$14.0m

In what will become a running theme for this list, itís not enough for an edge defender to just be a good pass rusher. This is especially true if he couples that with poor run defense and costly penalties. Dumervil mustered only 16 run stops on the season, and his 4.8 Run Stop Percentage was among the worst rates at his position. Throw in the eight times he was flagged, and you have the most overpaid edge defender in the league.

I realize that PFF isn't the golden standard, but in cases like this one, they mirror what we see on game days. I understand that you want use the team rushing statistics, but we're talking about Elvis alone. He's bad against the run, plain and simple.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #427
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
What FA would make this worthwhile? Seriously curious.
I think I read here on the mane that PM was texting Freeney when he got released to come to Denver and play with him.

I bet they want Doom to restructure, cut him if he won't then replace him for a year or 2 with Freeney(sp?) and see if Wolfe doesn't develop into a sack artist at DE.

I doubt Freeny is going to come in below 6mil a year, if that is the case I would rather stay with Doom. I also doubt we could get another DE if we signed Freeney.

We really need to be worried about signing some DT's and LB's, not replacing dudes we have on the roster under contract.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #428
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Big Al and DMac floated a rumor today (pure rumor) that Urlacher was coming to Dove Valley for visit.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #429
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Not really. If you didn't see it while watching the games with your own eyes, then at least take some stats into consideration.

In what will become a running theme for this list, itís not enough for an edge defender to just be a good pass rusher. This is especially true if he couples that with poor run defense and costly penalties. Dumervil mustered only 16 run stops on the season, and his 4.8 Run Stop Percentage was among the worst rates at his position. Throw in the eight times he was flagged, and you have the most overpaid edge defender in the league.

I realize that PFF isn't the golden standard, but in cases like this one, they mirror what we see on game days. I understand that you want use the team rushing statistics, but we're talking about Elvis alone. He's bad against the run, plain and simple.
Ha, what?

11 sacks, 6 FF, 60 pressures, 16 run stops (more than Peppers, Abraham, or Charles Johnson) is only worth $1.6 million? That's not just dumb, that's moronic.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #430
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

And yet we were third overall in run defense last year. And won 13 games.

So now that we see how irrelevant those stats are, would we be any better or worse without Doom's 11 sacks, 60 QB pressures, and 6 forced fumbles, while being held most of the time?
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #431
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Ha, what?

11 sacks, 6 FF, 60 pressures, 16 run stops (more than Peppers, Abraham, or Charles Johnson) is only worth $1.6 million? That's not just dumb, that's moronic.
I know, as if Doom's run D hurt the team more than his other numbers helped them.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #432
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Big Al and DMac floated a rumor today (pure rumor) that Urlacher was coming to Dove Valley for visit.
Ugh...sadly he would be better than Mays and possibly Johnson and Irving...

NFL live was pimping Teo today, I think it is in ESPN's best interest for Teo to be drafted high. They need someone with a following to pimp now that Tebow's career is over.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #433
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Ha, what?

only moronic? seriously.. only moronic?
the level of stupidity in claiming he's only worth 1.6 mil is truly worth being taken outside and shot for being that dumb. i mean how silly a statement can you make with a straight face when facts prove otherwise.
that is the kind of stupidity does the world a favor and doesn't breed.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #434
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Whether he's released early or late the guy is still going to get a contract that pays him 10+ million a year. Meanwhile the Broncos will be left without a serious bookend to complement Miller. Whatever cards the Broncos are holding, I don't think they are very good to be honest.
Yeah, sure, you bet......

Not really
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #435
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

NFL live was pimping Teo today, I think it is in ESPN's best interest for Teo to be drafted high. They need someone with a following to pimp now that Tebow's career is over.
Urlacher would be a great signing. He'd be what Brooking was for us last season x10. We'd still need someone to cover TE's though, because Urlacher can't really do that anymore.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #436
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Urlacher would be a great signing. He'd be what Brooking was for us last season x10. We'd still need someone to cover TE's though, because Urlacher can't really do that anymore.
we would also need someone to tackle players and move with more than a three foot range
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #437
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
we would also need someone to tackle players and move with more than a three foot range
I see what you did there..... He'd still be the best MLB we've had since AL. Great instincts and a knack for making plays on the ball. Leadership. Vocal. Plus like Brooking, he knows where guys have to line up. Think about the accountability he'd hold guys too as well. IMO, he'd be "that piece" for the D. He wasn't healthy all last season. Word outa Chi-town, is he is looking great and is the healthiest hes been in a while.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #438
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Yeah I saw that! I wonder if we are going to take the bait again!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #439
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Elvis left a big dook in the building.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #440
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Elvis left a big dook in the building.
Heard it throws better than Tebow.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #441
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

Heís been soft since the big contract. Now he has Von Miller catching double teams on the other side of the ball and his sack total drops nearly in half. He fades in big games. He jumps off sides in key moments and heís a problem off the field.

Good Bye. this team can use the money in better ways.
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #442
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I watch these highlights of Von and I don't even begin to care that Dumervil is gone. Ayers/Jackson rotation at the very least and wouldn't be surprised if a free agent came here. Would prefer Osi. Not only that, but we can draft a legit guy and go from there and invest money in other resources.

Boomchickawowskissme.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #443
pricejj
jungle

I can hardly wait for the next mediocre $3M 'value signing' the FO foists upon us.

If Dumervil goes, the Broncos soul goes with him.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #444
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

I can see being concerned with that kind of cap hit. Von Miller and Von Miller alone should command that type of money. With that said, if you are one of the people claiming that Dumervil is expendable, and that he didn't make a significant contribution, many times VITAL, to this team's defensive success, you're an idiot.

I agree that he is overpaid, but who cares? who on earth will they replace him with that won't result in a significant drop off in pressure on the QB? Sacking the QB and getting pressure isn't a one on one situation. This is pretty obvious. You take out a guy like Doom and the rest of the defensive line is going to struggle.

Is that really worth a few million dollars in savings? We have PFM, we should be spending as much as it takes to make this as successful of a team as we possibly can.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #445
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Just a little enlightenment for those that missed this:

Basically, two articles explaining our pass rush scheme this past season and why the perception of Dumervil's actual production was skewed by traditional ways of assessment (including sack stats).

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ush-repertoire

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ective-in-2012
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #446
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
I can see being concerned with that kind of cap hit. Von Miller and Von Miller alone should command that type of money. With that said, if you are one of the people claiming that Dumervil is expendable, and that he didn't make a significant contribution, many times VITAL, to this team's defensive success, you're an idiot.

I agree that he is overpaid, but who cares? who on earth will they replace him with that won't result in a significant drop off in pressure on the QB? Sacking the QB and getting pressure isn't a one on one situation. This is pretty obvious. You take out a guy like Doom and the rest of the defensive line is going to struggle.

Is that really worth a few million dollars in savings? We have PFM, we should be spending as much as it takes to make this as successful of a team as we possibly can.
Don't you see? With that 8 million cap savings, we're going to get Revis, Freeney, Steven Jackson, Reggie Bush, and Ed Reed!@!!!!!111
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #447
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Love this. Now you guys will probably sign some old past-his-prime DE like Dwight Freeney.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #448
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Broncos don't get better by cutting Dumervil. But they have no choice. That's why we're screwed, unless Dumervil agrees to a major paycut. Which he won't do.
What do you mean they do not have a choice. Denver was $15 million below the cap before releasing Hanie, Williams and Mays. They do not have to cut Doom. If they cut him and do not sign Revis then they needed not have to do it. Revis is the only guy out there Denver would have to cut Doom to sign, that is it.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #449
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
What do you mean they do not have a choice. Denver was $15 million below the cap before releasing Hanie, Williams and Mays. They do not have to cut Doom. If they cut him and do not sign Revis then they needed not have to do it. Revis is the only guy out there Denver would have to cut Doom to sign, that is it.
There is no need for Revis. Haven't we learned by now that you build the pass defense from the inside out? We can have 50 corners.....they won't hold up everytime for 5 seconds if there is no rush. We finally saw how the pass rush magically made everything better and now were going back to the old recipe which is not good. Denver has a veteran who had one awful game and two really nice youngsters at corner. We're fine. If you want to add another in the draft somewhere fine....but Revis creates over saturation of financial assets in one position...never a good thing when you have a finite cap...and a self imposed budget on top of it. Keep Doom....it's only one year where the hit is rough it goes down next year. They've been cheap asses for the vast majority of this century. I'm tired of it.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #450
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Broncos and Dumervil could resolve the issue if they met halfway. If Dumervil is unwilling to meet halfway, then it's a no go.

I computed the 2014 salary cap, and all the Broncos would have to do to stay under the cap (if Dumervil met them halfway), is cut Prater, while replacing him and guys like Matthew Willis, Lance Ball, and Robert Ayers in the draft (this year and next year).

It's workable...only a few million off. They really could work something out.

In my mind there's hope.
Ok so it is Doom's fault that the Broncos want to re-neg on the contract they both signed and it's his fault he won't accept a pay cut when there are going to be teams that will pay him more..... uh, I think not.