The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
no, pretty much all reports say they want to reduce his salary not restructure his deal. If it were a cap restructure it probably would have been done. I think what Doom wants is to play for the $$$$ he signed up for. If he can't do that, he would probably like to be released in time to make as close to that amount as possible. I'm finding it hard to blame Doom for his role in this.
And I'm sure the Broncos want him to produce what he was producing when they signed him to the $$$$ he signed up for. He's not come close to 17 sacks at all since either.....which is a huge reason he got his big payday. Maybe the Broncos expect him to get 17 sacks every season for that kind of money....who knows?

And I'm no capologist, but reducing his salary is impossible without restructuring his contract correct?

and if he decided not to that is his decision to make. I don't expect anyone to take a pay cut if they feel they're deserving of their salary....but by the same token the contract also allows the team to release said player if they feel he's not worth his contract anymore.....

Keep in mind when he signed the contract it was after his monster 17 sack season in '09....he promptly missed the next season and hasn't made it through a full season but twice since he signed that huge deal. The Broncos evidently feel he's not worth what they're paying him anymore....it happens.

As for blaming him....I am not blaming him. I'm just stating that he can remain a Bronco if he restructures. The Broncos cannot be expected to pay him a butt load of money anymore than he should be expected to take a pay cut.

hopefully he and the Broncos can come to an agreement...if not, thanks for the memories Doom and good luck wherever you land.

Last edited by errand; 03-11-2013 at 06:51 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #27
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Dumervil isn't bringing 12-15 sacks either.
I'll be surprised if he ever reaches 12-15 in a season the rest of his career. Hes not trying to be a team guy. Doesn't he have enough $$$? Let the guy go to lower tier team that has no shot at a SB. But hey, he'll get his money. Wishing you many loses and lots of $$$ Doom.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Sucks that we cant get nothing for him
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
. Nice! Probably true, but if everything goes as planned and we are playing with a lead most games, guys will get a lot of opportunities to get to the QB. I know Ayers didn't get a lot of time on the field last season, but I am kinda high on him this year. Like other posters have mentioned. Rio liked him coming out of Ten. Lets see if Rio can get the most out of him.
Ayers has shown occasional flashes over the last few years, so there is a bit of hope there. Of course it would be just our luck for him to wait until the last year of his rookie contract to actually play like a first rounder and register double digit sacks.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
I'll be surprised if he ever reaches 12-15 in a season the rest of his career. Hes not trying to be a team guy. Doesn't he have enough $$$? Let the guy go to lower tier team that has no shot at a SB. But hey, he'll get his money. Wishing you many loses and lots of $$$ Doom.
This is BS. Doom should try and get his money. His value to others will be greater than his value to us.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
Agamemnon

Quote:
You're funny. Why would he go to a lower tier team when plenty of contenders will be interested in his services?

And if it makes you feel better to tell yourself a guy who just had an 11 sack season isn't ever going to get 12 or more sacks in a season again, good for you. We all have stories we tell ourselves to make life easier to deal with.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #32
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
for a guy making 12 mil a year a garbage sack and sacking quinn is the best we got
This^....

For all the love Doom gets on here (I like him, but realize this is a business) it amazes me there aren't more great plays making the list.

And what if that $$$$ saved by his release brings in a solid DT, or a very good S, or a MLB that can remind us of Al Wilson, or some other player who helps us win a title?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

We can get better players for the money we save by cutting Doom.

I'm not upset.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
You're funny. Why would he go to a lower tier team when plenty of contenders will be interested in his services?

And if it makes you feel better to tell yourself a guy who just had an 11 sack season isn't ever going to get 12 or more sacks in a season again, good for you. We all have stories we tell ourselves to make life easier to deal with.
I'm sure he's capable of getting 11 sacks...but just as some say Von's totals will suffer without Doom, how many of Doom's 11 sacks were due to teams more concerned with Von?

The issue the Broncos probably have is that they signed him to a lot of $$$ to get 17 sacks a year (or close to it)...the total that netted him that huge contract and he has come nowhere near that total since.

Last edited by errand; 03-11-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #35
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

It's been real and it has been fun Elvis. But it ain't been real fun.

Toodles!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #36
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
We can get better players for the money we save by cutting Doom.

I'm not upset.
That's really not true when you realize only ~8 million of his ~13 million cap space is going to be freed up by cutting him. But Bowlen will save around 5 million this year if it makes you feel better.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #37
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
They just better have someone in the works that can take the double teams away from Von....or they just screwed the pooch to save money!
Agree with this; I'm withholding judgement until we see the full plan unfold. Hopefully we cut Doom specifically to sign player X, whomever that might be.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Jimmy the Greek.

In all seriousness a rookie at 28th isn't coming in with 12-15 sacks 6 FFs and multiple QB rushing into mistakes. Win now is supposed to mean putting the best possible players on the field for manning. The window isn't open for long.

Nothing that hunter and ayers have shown me to think otherwise.
You are not viewing his stats right. The production value of Doom is 1.09. There are three FAs out there with higher PV then that JA at 1.37, Cliff Avril at 1.21 and M. Bennett at 1.68. Osi is close at .812 he might be higher cause I doubt he started all 16 games. Israel Idonije is at .875 as well. That is what are goal should be replace.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Sucks that we cant get nothing for him
Then cheer up! Turns out we CAN get nothing for him!
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I'm sure he's capable of getting 11 sacks...but just as some say Von's totals will suffer without Doom, how many of Doom's 11 sacks were due to teams more concerned with Von?

The issue the Broncos probably have is that they signed him to a lot of $$$ to get 17 sacks a year (or close to it)...the total that netted him that huge contract and he has come nowhere near that total since.
I personally don't think Doom or Miller need each other all that much to be honest. Dumervil was getting sacks for us for years with no one on the other side, and Miller was racking them up back when Doom was injured. Both will be productive regardless. The problem for me is that I just don't see us getting better through all of this. 8 million dollars isn't all that much when you are trying to improve a team that no longer has its second best pass rusher.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #41
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Agree with this; I'm withholding judgement until we see the full plan unfold. Hopefully we cut Doom specifically to sign player X, whomever that might be.
They will sign said player BEFORE they cut doom. His salary doesn't hit until Saturday. Broncos have the edge in this.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #42
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Then cheer up! Turns out we CAN get nothing for him!
I see what u did thar.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #43
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
That's really not true when you realize only ~8 million of his ~13 million cap space is going to be freed up by cutting him. But Bowlen will save around 5 million this year if it makes you feel better.
Bowlen "saves" the salary he doesn't have to pay Doom, which is $12 million this coming season. That's the cash part. The cap savings is $13.62 million less $4.87 million in dead money for a net of $8.75 million.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #44
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
They will sign said player BEFORE they cut doom. His salary doesn't hit until Saturday. Broncos have the edge in this.
So the question then becomes what if they don't land the guy(s) they are targeting? Do they then pursue a restructure deal? And will he still be open to it?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #45
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Bowlen "saves" the salary he doesn't have to pay Doom, which is $12 million this coming season. That's the cash part. The cap savings is $13.62 million less $4.87 million in dead money for a net of $8.75 million.
One way or the other Bowlen saves lots of money. Yay!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #46
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I'm officially the jersey curse for this team: Atwater (the year before he went to the Jets), Sharpe (2 years before he went to Baltimore), Cutler (year before his daddy turned in his playbook), Royal (2 years before going to SD), and now Doom (I've had his for 3 years. Thought I might be safe. Nope!), From now on it's only Dennis Smith and Al Wilson jerseys for me... and I apologize to their families in advance if they suddenly drop dead out of the blue.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #47
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I'm officially the jersey curse for this team: Atwater (the year before he went to the Jets), Sharpe (2 years before he went to Baltimore), Cutler (year before his daddy turned in his playbook), Royal (2 years before going to SD), and now Doom (I've had his for 3 years. Thought I might be safe. Nope!), From now on it's only Dennis Smith and Al Wilson jerseys for me... and I apologize to their families in advance if they suddenly drop dead out of the blue.

Please get a joe mays jersey.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #48
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

damn, he was let go?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #49
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco: