The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #401
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

The Broncos and Dumervil could resolve the issue if they met halfway. If Dumervil is unwilling to meet halfway, then it's a no go.

I computed the 2014 salary cap, and all the Broncos would have to do to stay under the cap (if Dumervil met them halfway), is cut Prater, while replacing him and guys like Matthew Willis, Lance Ball, and Robert Ayers in the draft (this year and next year).

It's workable...only a few million off. They really could work something out.

In my mind there's hope.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #402
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Cutting Prater now would save the Broncos about $4M over the next two years (including his replacement). That's just about enough to get this done, if Dumervil is willing to meet the Broncos halfway...some slight finagling with Kuper's contract should take care of the rest of it.

Get 'er done! Hope lives in the Rocky Mountains!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #403
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Update. Doesn't look good. As far as releasing him tomorrow I say screw that. Wait and sign a replacement first. If it screws Doom, sorry

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ms-out-broncos
This, but hopefully it doesn't come down to it. It's just business!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #404
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Keep Dumervil on the team in a restructure. Put him on IR right after camp. Teach him a lesson. Do not allow him on fair rides because he is 5'11.
You keep discounting Elvis' best season and posting that he's only averaged 9 sacks per season as a 4-3 DE. Before Doom, who was the last person to average 9 sacks per season for the Broncos? I'm looking, and I can't find anyone.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #405
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Trevor Pryce in his prime 1998-2003. Last good pass rusher we had. I think Reggie Hayward had a good year.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #406
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Update. Doesn't look good. As far as releasing him tomorrow I say screw that. Wait and sign a replacement first. If it screws Doom, sorry

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ms-out-broncos
They better do something awesome with the money they free up by doing this. Otherwise why the **** did we bother signing Manning?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #407
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
You keep discounting Elvis' best season and posting that he's only averaged 9 sacks per season as a 4-3 DE. Before Doom, who was the last person to average 9 sacks per season for the Broncos? I'm looking, and I can't find anyone.
Nobody is arguing if he is good. The issue is what is he worth? Not $12 million a year. He also got paid when he missed a whole season. Time to take a cut
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #408
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Sucks that it has come to Dumervil asking for a release. Unfortunately for Doom, the team holds all the cards. In other words he can wish for his release in one hand and crap in another...... See what gets filled first.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #409
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Sucks that it has come to Dumervil asking for a release. Unfortunately for Doom, the team holds all the cards. In other words he can wish for his release in one hand and crap in another...... See what gets filled first.
Whether he's released early or late the guy is still going to get a contract that pays him 10+ million a year. Meanwhile the Broncos will be left without a serious bookend to complement Miller. Whatever cards the Broncos are holding, I don't think they are very good to be honest.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #410
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Give me Michael Bennett for Doom's money. He'll match Doom's sack numbers, and play stout against the run.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #411
brother love
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Give me Michael Bennett for Doom's money. He'll match Doom's sack numbers, and play stout against the run.
If he gets cut they may just roll with Ayers and Hunter.
brother love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #412
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Trevor Pryce in his prime 1998-2003. Last good pass rusher we had. I think Reggie Hayward had a good year.
So, cherry picking the best years of Pryce compares to Dumervil, as long as you leave out Doom's best season. Cool.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #413
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Whether he's released early or late the guy is still going to get a contract that pays him 10+ million a year. Meanwhile the Broncos will be left without a serious bookend to complement Miller. Whatever cards the Broncos are holding, I don't think they are very good to be honest.
This is what I'm afraid of. They going to do a community type deal at that position? Plug in players like ayers? Hoping they'll match the production? No way. Those players won't get 6 FFs combined. The defense will suffer if he's gone plain and simple.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #414
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
the team holds no cards. if they don't cut him, they have to pay him. and they have to pay him the contract that, you know, they signed him to. which I'm sure is fine by him.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #415
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother love View Post
If he gets cut they may just roll with Ayers and Hunter.
Neither of whom will get 5 sacks a piece.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #416
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
This is another myth that gets perpetuated.

We were third in the league in run defense. THIRD. How bad and detrimental is Doom's run defense that we still finished top 3 in rush defense? And, we somehow managed to finish second overall in YPG defensively with this one trick, non run-stopping pony. What, we would have given up 30 rushing yards per game with anyone else?
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #417
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
the team holds no cards. if they don't cut him, they have to pay him. and they have to pay him the contract that, you know, they signed him to. which I'm sure is fine by him.
Dumervil, 29, is slated to make $12 million in salary in 2013. He notched 11 sacks a season ago. Dumervilís salary becomes guaranteed if Dumervil is on the roster on Saturday.

Bolded for importance... The team doesn't have to grant his wish to release him until then...by the time they'd hopefully have his replacement at Dove Valley...
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #418
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
They better do something awesome with the money they free up by doing this. Otherwise why the **** did we bother signing Manning?
That would be the only, and I mean only, rationale behind this madness.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #419
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
This is another myth that gets perpetuated.

We were third in the league in run defense. THIRD. How bad and detrimental is Doom's run defense that we still finished top 3 in rush defense? And, we somehow managed to finish second overall in YPG defensively with this one trick, non run-stopping pony. What, we would have given up 30 rushing yards per game with anyone else?
He also played more snaps than any other DL, so it's not like they didn't trust him against the run.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #420
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
What FA would make this worthwhile? Seriously curious.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #421
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
What FA would make this worthwhile? Seriously curious.
Osi?
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #422
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibacka31 View Post
Dumervil, 29, is slated to make $12 million in salary in 2013. He notched 11 sacks a season ago. Dumervilís salary becomes guaranteed if Dumervil is on the roster on Saturday.

Bolded for importance... The team doesn't have to grant his wish to release him until then...by the time they'd hopefully have his replacement at Dove Valley...
yes, free agents love to sign with teams who hold their players hostage. and the NFLPA definitely encourages its players to cooperate with teams who are in the process of holding the guy they are replacing hostage.

if the team waits to cut doom, they are being idiotic.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #423
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Osi?
And?
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #424
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
And?
Osi isn't an upgrade. Hell, he's not even a lateral move. He's not the player he once was.

Just as a comparison, Osi has played 9 seasons to Doom's 6, and he only has 11 more career sacks, and 90 more tackles, which averages to 30 tackles and just under 4 sacks per extra season.

Let's put it this way, for me, the only way this becomes palatable is if Elway pulls off moves from way up his ass, and becomes a lock for exec of the year because of it.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #425
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
yes, free agents love to sign with teams who hold their players hostage. and the NFLPA definitely encourages its players to cooperate with teams who are in the process of holding the guy they are replacing hostage.

if the team waits to cut doom, they are being idiotic.
Keeping him on the roster an extra 5 days is going to do what to his value? We paid Doom's salary the first year when he got hurt and didn't see the field all year he can suffer for 5 days IMO.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote