The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #151
Bmore Manning

Ellerbe is not very strong in coverage.. We need to cross him off the list as a MLB free agent target.. But I like the options out there and your list Req.

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 03-07-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #152
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
They could basically save $7.33m this year if they wanted to but they wont. They could turn $11m of his $12m base into a signing bonus then prorate it over the remaining 3 years of his contract, saving $7.33m this year but then adding $3.7m to his cap numbers in 2014 and 2015.

I very much doubt Elway will do that but you never know. It seems to me we're not trying to create caproom as such but to find more actual cash spending money this year. ESPN and the others haven't got a ****ing clue when it comes to actual spending.
like I said earlier, pat doesn't want to spend the $$
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #153
Bmore Manning

While I liked the Clady approach, I don't like the way this is being handled. I also don't like tendering Clark, Ball, and Colquitt..
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #154
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
While I liked the Clady approach, I don't like the way this is being handled. I also don't like tendering Clark, Ball, and Colquitt..
No Idea what that means? You don't like how speculative bull**** occurs?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #155
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
half joking, but Colquitt could have been team MVP 2 years ago the way he was pinning teams back when Denver was basically playing small ball and playing the field position game every week. I like the Colquitt tender. I agree with you on Ball though.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 03-07-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #156
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Steven Jackson FTW!!! Nuff said!!!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #157
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

They informed us they want to do a restructure. I'm not classifying this as a pay cut. I'm going ahead with this being a restructure. If we can meet on some common ground, there's a potential we can get it done. If we can't, they'll have to make a decision. But we're definitely in good faith going to try to negotiate this out. Elvis wants to return as a Bronco if it all possible, and that's what we're trying to do make the client happy and try to appease the team.

Translation: Denver's going to have to pony up a lot more guaranteed money for my client to accept a lower salary.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #158
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Sounds like Doom wants to redo a deal that allows him to stay.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #159
Bacchus

If I was Doom, I'd tell Elway to shove it and let me go to FA. He'll get another big contract with a signing bonus. Some 3-4 team will pay him big bucks.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #160
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Doom probably likes Denver and with only 2 yrs on deal left will exchange some of that base salary for some extra yrs and garaunteed money etc. Broncos on the verge of being really good I doubt players want to leave right now.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #161
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Doom probably likes Denver and with only 2 yrs on deal left will exchange some of that base salary for some extra yrs and garaunteed money etc. Broncos on the verge of being really good I doubt players want to leave right now.
I don't think so, They went to Doom with this two weeks ago and the deadline is coming. So what if Doom likes it in Denver. 75% of all football players are broke 5 years after leaving the NFL. Doom has another chance to sign his "big" contract. He needs to take advantage of this.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #162
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If I was Doom, I'd tell Elway to shove it and let me go to FA. He'll get another big contract with a signing bonus. Some 3-4 team will pay him big bucks.

If you were Dumervil, you'd be a member of the team, and you'd have the feeling that everyone in that locker room has right now: we can win it all.

This is a business, sure - but there isn't a guy in that locker room who doesn't want to go out of this game without a ring. Not a single one. Dumervil will get his payday on the open market soon enough. If I were him, I'd do exactly what they're indicating: restructure the deal, make it work for both parties, and play like hell the next couple years and try to win a ring and cash in.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #163
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
If you were Dumervil, you'd be a member of the team, and you'd have the feeling that everyone in that locker room has right now: we can win it all.

This is a business, sure - but there isn't a guy in that locker room who doesn't want to go out of this game without a ring. Not a single one. Dumervil will get his payday on the open market soon enough. If I were him, I'd do exactly what they're indicating: restructure the deal, make it work for both parties, and play like hell the next couple years and try to win a ring and cash in.
He is 29, right now he is still in his prime. If he plays another two years in denver and then becomes a FA he'll be 31 and on the downside of his career. Not many players get to cash in twice and he can. He probably could get a 4 year contract for $35 million with a $12 million signing bonus. The Broncos are not going to offer him another signing bonus and that ius the most important thing in the contract.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #164
R-Mac

Quote:
He probably could get a 4 year contract for $35 million with a $12 million signing bonus.
Dumervil can get much more than this as a free agent. He'd be the top 3-4 OLB available and one of the top DEs. He has as many career sacks as Mario Williams. I'd compare Dumervil's value to Tamba Hali and Hali signed a five-year, $57.5 million contract with $35 million guaranteed ($12.25 million salary in 2013). Anthony Spencer with the tag: $10.627 million salary. People think Cliff Avril will make a lot of money and Dumervil would be right there with Avril. A 3-4 team would have Dumervil as a high priority. There is a conflict in Denver because of the 4-3 defense where Von Miller has become the main piece. It's risky to ask a healthy, 29-year old Pro Bowler/All-Pro to take a pay cut. Dumervil knows he can compete for a Super Bowl in Denver, but he also knows he can join another contender and get paid.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #165
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
He is 29, right now he is still in his prime. If he plays another two years in denver and then becomes a FA he'll be 31 and on the downside of his career. Not many players get to cash in twice and he can. He probably could get a 4 year contract for $35 million with a $12 million signing bonus. The Broncos are not going to offer him another signing bonus and that ius the most important thing in the contract.
Where do you pull these numbers out of? Chris Clemens signed a 3 year 22 million dollar contract with a 6.5 million dollar signing bonus just last year at the age of 30. To say Dumervil won't be able to get at least that at age 31when his contract is up is laughable at best (baring injury).
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #166
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

Elvis saw this coming. He's always been willing to restructure. His agent is doing his job, fighting the good fight. It'll work out.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #167
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

there is no reason that there cant be a bonus of upfront money for Doom if he restructures. Broncos just don't like the 12 million base salary. The will probably convert half of that, 5-6 million into a bonus. Extend his contract out 2 yrs with a manageable base salary etc etc. Doom gets his money, Broncos get relief and another ring!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #168
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Doom simply isn't worth what he is getting paid. He can tell Elway to shove it out of anger but he's not going to get $12 mill elsewhere. Game changers like Von and Watts are and will demand huge money in the years to come but Doom isn't in that category.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #169
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Doom simply isn't worth what he is getting paid. He can tell Elway to shove it out of anger but he's not going to get $12 mill elsewhere.
Maybe not in base salary, but he'd land somewhere in the $12-$18 million range in terms of guaranteed money if he hit the open market. Especially considering the pass rushers in this years draft class all have big question marks.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #170
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

It doesn't work that way anymore. I don't believe most players are in it for championships any longer or management. It's all about profits, which is why the owner absolutely love Goodell.

I hope they work it out and he stays, but I don't really see what doom gains by taking a pay cut, unless the restructure maintains his money over the next couple of years and even then, that's not gaining that's just treading water. The reality is he could stand firm and if they deal or cut him, sign another big contract with another team, which would seem the way to go. Everyone on that locker room would understand that because 9 out of 10 of them would do the same thing if in the same position. The time line to play pro ball is so short, you'd be stupid to take your own leverage away when you have it. He doesn't owe the Broncos anything and the team has zero leverage over him.

It's way too big a risk to just put off another big deal until a season or two down the road. Any kind of injury is just around the corner, and he'll be on the wrong side of 30.

All this talk about Doom not being worth what he is being paid is also, while true, complete rubbish. Players are retroactively paid all the time. It's how it works. Just look at Flacco for the latest example. There is absolutely zero obligation on his end to help out the team financially. Especially when it's not in his best interest.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 03-08-2013 at 06:29 AM..
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #171
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Where do you pull these numbers out of? Chris Clemens signed a 3 year 22 million dollar contract with a 6.5 million dollar signing bonus just last year at the age of 30. To say Dumervil won't be able to get at least that at age 31when his contract is up is laughable at best (baring injury).
I was being conservative with the numbers showing that there is little financial reason why Doom should stay with the Broncos over them cutting him and going into FA.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #172
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I tend to agree with IAOFM's take linked below. Elvis is gone.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...to-restructure
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #173
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Maybe not in base salary, but he'd land somewhere in the $12-$18 million range in terms of guaranteed money if he hit the open market. Especially considering the pass rushers in this years draft class all have big question marks.
Nah I don't buy it. Hopefully we don't find out but no one will give Doom that kind of money per year, it just won't happen. Doom has good numbers but he's not a Von/Watts game changer.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #174
CEH
Ring of Famer

Not a agent but a restructure in Elvis' mind may not be the same to ELway

Denver does/will not pay Elvis $31 MM over the next 3 years. Maybe $31 over 5 but the FO will not pay Elvis $10MM or more at any point in the next 3 years

Adjusting to contract to a signing bonus will not solve the issue either

Denver's looking to pay a player of Elvis' caliber about $6 MM a year thus Freeney comes into play

And Elvis is just one of many players in this situation so all is not lost if Elvis walks.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #175
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Doom simply isn't worth what he is getting paid. He can tell Elway to shove it out of anger but he's not going to get $12 mill elsewhere. Game changers like Von and Watts are and will demand huge money in the years to come but Doom isn't in that category.
... You remeber the 20-0 beating we were getting by the Chargers? When we started to come back, it was Dooms strip sack fumble (the one carter picked up and ran for the TD) changed the hole momentum of that game, and season.

Guess you haven't watched to many Bronco football to say Doom is not a game changer. Lol, some people around here are just dumb. Is he worth12 mil on our part? In my opinion he is. But if he is cut, trust me, he wont worry about getting another 10+ contract on the market.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote