The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

Default Directv could scrap NFL Sunday Ticket

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...bin&hpt=hp_bn8

Then what will us out of towners do?

Last edited by i4jelway7; 03-08-2013 at 05:33 AM..
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Maybe having a bill that would be over $100 anyways then adding a $400 sports package for 6 months was not economically feasible for the client base...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Contract doesn't expire until 2015.

A lot can happen between now and then.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Sounds like to me that all Directv is doing is starting the negotiations a little early. They think they are going to get hosed by the NFL when the contract is up in 2015, and rightfully so, so they are just starting the game now to send a message.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Should just go pay per view..10 bucks a game
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Great. Hopefully the cable companies can eat that **** up. That is how they get 1/2 of their customers anyway. Heck I almost got Direct because I am in a Chicago sports area. I won't touch satellite though. That 2 yr contract **** is bogus when I can get no commitment offers and sell them at the same time.
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
Won't happen. Comcast was rumored to be interested in bidding for the next contract. The NFL is all about money. They sell to cable companies and they will make a lot more of it.
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

NFL Sunday Ticket won't get shut down. What will likely happen is the NFL pricing exclusivity too high for DirecTV to keep it. Then the NFL will give them a non-exclusive license, use that same model to shop it out to all their competition (Dish, various cable companies) and then the NFL will likely set up their own online/media box streaming system like MLB.TV, cutting out the middle man on the future of distribution.

This makes the most money for the NFL and DirecTV has already all but killed Dish. Sunday Ticket isn't going to help them beat cable particularly effectively, a lot of other ramifications go into those local market battles. It isn't worth the premium pricing.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

NFL Ticket is something that will be around forever. The question is whether it will be exclusive to one vendor, available through multiple providers, or delivered direct through NFL.com.

Speaking only for myself, I would personally prefer to get it through NFL.com. I cancelled Directv, and despite the complaints of my family, I don't really want it back. My kids spend more time watching Netflix than anything on Directv, plus we have a media manager that they watch for all the stuff we have on hard drive. (I spent a couple months ripping every DVD in our house and organizing it on a 2TB drive).

In any case, I could do without it being on Directv. But, I will admit that wherever it goes, I will go. God doesn't roll dice with the universe, and I don't roll dice on whether I get to watch the Broncos on any given week.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
$5.99
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

I was always curious why the NFL, the kings of getting every dollar they can, would automatically re-up with DTV exclusively instead of selling the Ticket to the cable companies as well. By design, they are the only sport that doesn't have a cable TV package. Why wouldn't they want to expand to a more national audience, and increase revenues like they've never seen before?
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Taco is right on this, in the article they mention about making it a non exclusive deal. This would be the best case scenario as it would force all of the providers to get involved and get involved at a cheaper price, meanwhile the NFL gets more profit by selling the rights individually to every provider including xbox, ps3, apple tv, roku, dish, local cable, etc...

If they got the price down to $100 bucks for the year or something like that I could definitely see getting the games. As it stands at $300 or higher and the Broncos with a Manning that gets tons of spotlight games I'd much rather grab some delicious wings at the local bar and see if there is another couple Bronco fans there to watch with.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I think they should have Team Specific Sunday ticket. For $99 you can get every out of market game for the team of your choice.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I cancelled Directv, and despite the complaints of my family, I don't really want it back.
Good for you. If only a couple hundred million more parents did the same!
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sweet my direcTV contract is up end of 2014 so I am all set for the NFL contract expiration.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I think they should have Team Specific Sunday ticket. For $99 you can get every out of market game for the team of your choice.
I would love that!. But the NFL would probably make it higher than $99, as they will probably set the price at half the regular price. As far as per game they will have a harder time setting that up logistically, and they are greedy bastages and don't want to limit it to one team fans. They probably realise that most people never watch more than one game anyway ( their own) and will want ALL the revenue they can get. And when a team goes on a streak and ends up getting a lot of national coverage ( read regular national broadcasts) they will lose revenue. So a single team package will probably be available for about $200 , but only until the 3rd or 4th week , then it will go to about $25-30 a single game.

Frankly, as long as they don't make it exclusive to Direct, but instead sell it through all providers I will be happy, but not if they raise the price. I have comcast right now and with the Red zone I at least get updates, and can try a web feed or listen to KOA ( which strangely is about 5 seconds AHEAD of any TV feed .)

Direct would sell it to a lot more people if they didn't try to screw the customers by raising the price so much after the promotional 1st year prices. If they would just say X is the price and keep it there they would probably not lose so many. But once that promo price expires they try to stick it to people, and so they cancel or switch providers..
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Great news if it actually happens. I refuse to get DTV (bad experiences in the past). The lure of unquestioned access to every Bronco game is strong but **** them. If I didn't have to put up with crappy quality firstrow streams life would be just a little better. I would gladly pay $10 per game if I had that option.

At this point I think it is just posturing by DTV. I also agree with Drek, the current business model is on it's last leg. I see a non exclusive deal in the works.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Great news if it actually happens. I refuse to get DTV (bad experiences in the past). The lure of unquestioned access to every Bronco game is strong but **** them. If I didn't have to put up with crappy quality firstrow streams life would be just a little better. I would gladly pay $10 per game if I had that option.

At this point I think it is just posturing by DTV. I also agree with Drek, the current business model is on it's last leg. I see a non exclusive deal in the works.
Also thank god for Manning, I got to see over 3/4 of our games on TV last year. It's great to be the popular team.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
NFL Ticket is something that will be around forever. The question is whether it will be exclusive to one vendor, available through multiple providers, or delivered direct through NFL.com.

Speaking only for myself, I would personally prefer to get it through NFL.com. I cancelled Directv, and despite the complaints of my family, I don't really want it back. My kids spend more time watching Netflix than anything on Directv, plus we have a media manager that they watch for all the stuff we have on hard drive. (I spent a couple months ripping every DVD in our house and organizing it on a 2TB drive).

In any case, I could do without it being on Directv. But, I will admit that wherever it goes, I will go. God doesn't roll dice with the universe, and I don't roll dice on whether I get to watch the Broncos on any given week.
Hopefully you blocked GhostBusters
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Nice misleading thread title. Article says "if" prices get to high they might get rid of it.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Smart takes guys. I look forward to getting the games on NFL.com!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Smart takes guys. I look forward to getting the games on NFL.com!
I don't like watching games online near as much as on tv. Am I missing something? I feel like they have the laggy internet feel to them as opposed to the smoothness of tv.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:

This^

It'll be around, after a very expensive bidding war, of course.

And I too couldn't go w/out watching the Broncos (from PA). I can't go back to waiting for the "10 minute Ticker" to go across the bottom of the screen of a Jets/Browns game to know what the Broncos' score is.....

Ah yes, not-so-good times.......
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
This makes the most money for the NFL and DirecTV has already all but killed Dish.
Dish is doing just fine without Directv.

I could see the NFL splitting up the tv/streaming content after 2015 contract expires. And maybe like mlb tv the nfl will do it on it's own.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I would say they can add local newscast of locker room interviews for the team package. I loved having my big satellite with the Denver channels and be able to see the 3 Networks get the latest interviews directly from the players. You never saw that as an out of towner. $8 a month and used my cousins address in Colorado to not be blacked out.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote